• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

The H2A Delta Halo control room looks sooooo much better. Like, it actually has colors on it! You really don't realize just how gray and brown the old versions are unless you have realtime switching on you. That combined with the remastered music and the Plasma Rifle's electrical trail actually giving off real-time refractions when aimed at the sun had me feeling some type of way, man.

The H2A ODSTs look bad imo
16418611780_f95ce03c69_o.png

Booshka

Gamers for Giving Tournament and overall Halo Championship Series update from a random Twitch user.

"NaDeSHoT's chair gets more viewers than this tournament."

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I don't get too worked up about incorporation of rings or spheres into Forerunner designs considering, y'know, the goddamn Halo rings.

Well, it's always been an interesting study of contrasts. Forerunner structures are heavily angular at a micro level, but their installations have always been smooth curves and circles, with similar round motifs for select areas (Control Rooms, etc.)

343's Forerunner aesthetic is undoubtably more rounded overall, but I think that's just the unfortunate* side effect of having more horsepower to throw at things—Bungie's design decisions were bounded a lot more by not being able to do very smooth edges. Even the Covenant designs were bulbous but far less organic than what we've seen recently.

*Unfortunate, only inasmuch as continuity with previous designs. So far, it's still pretty easy to tell apart a Covenant ship from a Forerunner one, and that's really the most important consideration to make.

I like them. I think the H3 era ODSTs are cooler overall, but since Saber was hewing far more to established visual designs in H2A they sort of had to thread the needle.

(It actually occurred to me yesterday that H2A kept the classic wing pods that Reach and by extension CEA dropped. I really wish they'd make a reappearance—the Banshees look way too ungainly without the pods balancing the design.)

Mix

See, I really liked the Halo 2/ Halo 2A ODSTs because the later iterations all looked too close to spartans. I know they're technically the next thing down the line, but the Halo 2/A helmet for example looks like it could've been picked up by any marine and they would have intuitively known how to use it, where as the helmets used in the MJOLNIR armors should require special training. the Halo 3/ODST ODSTs looked too much like spartans, sans height requirement.

SaganIsGOAT

If Halo 2A is anything to go by, Halo 5 is gonna be freakin' gorgeous.

I'm not super impressed by H2A's graphics tbh. I was more impressed by how they nailed the art style. Visual things like Elites shields and the overly bright plasma on Covenant weapons were oddly handled. Oh, and idk why but your gun model will start freaking out when you're standing still and shake in pieces.

jem0208

I'm not super impressed by H2A's graphics tbh. I was more impressed by how they nailed the art style. Visual things like Elites shields and the overly bright plasma on Covenant weapons were oddly handled. Oh, and idk why but your gun model will start freaking out when you're standing still and shake in pieces.
Yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed with H2A.

It certainly didn't look bad, the art style was pretty good; similar to H2C but with some nice twists. But it didn't wow me. That said it was running the classic engine at the same time, was probably quite rushed and wasn't done by 343 (right?). I'm pretty certain 5 will be gorgeous.

I wasn't too impressed with H2A on a technical level, but I really loved the style. The elites in particularly turned out gorgeous; I'm hoping the 5 elites are done in a similar way (which the Blur pro/epilogue would seem to confirm)

Fuchsdh

I wasn't too impressed with H2A on a technical level, but I really loved the style. The elites in particularly turned out gorgeous; I'm hoping the 5 elites are done in a similar way (which the Blur pro/epilogue would seem to confirm)

The only thing I'd hold being the same with H5 is the Arbiter. I expect they used a mix of assets they got from 343 and their own assets they had developed for the cinematics to produce those.

You know seeing those CoD highlights today. I almost though It was H5. He runs the same way and the movement and low jump are similar. Even the ADS looks the same. I don't know how you guys don't see it.

Madness

You know seeing those CoD highlights today. I almost though It was H5. He runs the same way and the movement and low jump are similar. Even the ADS looks the same. I don't know how you guys don't see it.

We do see it. That's what 343 wanted to do. Even my little cousins watched Halo 5 beta game play and said it looked and played like Call of Duty. Otherwise, what Halo fan in their right kind was saying, "hey you know what's the most pressing issue in Halo gameplay, the fact we don't have the gun taking up the middle of the screen".

Impala26

So... dad HaloGAF is dad tonight... just gonna stick this here.

N11lAaL.jpg

Going to try for a newbie-friendly Vault of Glass run tomorrow beginning around 1:00-1:30pm EST** or so. Players of ANY experience level are welcome however.

**Start Time subject to change based on availability of other players.

I myself have yet to play the Raid so this could be interesting...
Highly recommended you bring a Level 26 character or HIGHER if you've not played this before.

Right now, I only have myself and Gringo Suave, but I know others expressed interest a few days ago, so I figured I'd throw throw this up.

Oh and because it's HaloGAF we'll be playing on the Xbox One to clarify.

My GT is Impala26

Your HaloGAF Raiders:
1: Impala26
2: GringoSuave89
3: RBK
4: ---
5: ---
6: ---

N11lAaL.jpg

Going to try for a newbie-friendly Vault of Glass run tomorrow beginning around 1:00-1:30pm EST** or so. Players of ANY experience level are welcome however.

Highly recommended you bring a Level 26 character or HIGHER if you've not played this before.

Right now, I only have myself and Gringo Suave, but I know others expressed interest a few days ago, so I figured I'd throw this up.

My GT is Impala26
Are you going to stream it on Twitch?

PS beautiful ring, suitably impressed, lucky girl, congratulations!

Damn, really want to participate, unfortunately, I'll probably either be at church or lunch at that time. But if anyone is in need of help at any other time, message me for my GT. I have a level 31 Warlock and a level 29 Titan.

Impala26

Damn, really want to participate, unfortunately, I'll probably either be at church or lunch at that time. But if anyone is in need of help at any other time, message me for my GT. I have a level 31 Warlock and a level 29 Titan.

If we held off until maybe like 2pm EST, would that work better for ya?

N11lAaL.jpg

Right now, I only have myself and Gringo Suave, but I know others expressed interest a few days ago, so I figured I'd throw throw this up.

My GT is Impala26

Your HaloGAF Raiders:
4: ---

I'll be at lunch with my wife, parents and sister then. Otherwise I'd bring my 32 Titan! Sorry brehs. Good luck!

Gamers for Giving Tournament and overall Halo Championship Series update from a random Twitch user.

"NaDeSHoT's chair gets more viewers than this tournament."

4k viewers

Like I said, the competitive Halo community is lucky they have the prize pot they have with the lack of viewers and players in the scene. The sad thing is that the last two major events averaged 7k viewers. Fighting games get that amount of viewers for local weekly tournaments and fgc is poverty compared to lol, dota, etc.... Halo players need to start running more grassroot tournaments to build up the scene before expecting good prize pots. It would be cool to see older Halo titles at the same event as side tournaments. Who knows, people who play CE might enter h2a if they are already at the event just for kicks. All the pros competing have played multiple Halo games. Give fans and players more things to watch and play is the way to go. Plus I would love to see Ogre 2 just beat up on people in CE.

Back to the actual tournament, it was great to see CLG 3-0 Noble Black after being knocked out by NB in the past online cups.

Impala26

Unfortunately not, it would have to be a little bit later in the afternoon for it to be feasible, and I have dinner with my girlfriend later in the evening. :[

I'll be at lunch with my wife, parents and sister then. Otherwise I'd bring my 32 Titan! Sorry brehs. Good luck!

What time might be more feasible for you folks (in EST)?
This is given that Gringo and RBK are okay with a later start time.

Given some new updates to my schedule, I'm finding it might actually be more practicable to start like 3 or 4pm EST.

Given some new updates to my schedule, I'm finding it might actually be more practicable to start like 3 or 4pm EST.

I'm off work tomorrow so I'm free whenever.

That would be possible, so you could put me down as a maybe for that time slot, and if anything changes, I'll let you guys know

Go Play COD AW, its like playing Halo 5 earlier before the real thing

Impala26

That would be possible, so you could put me down as a maybe for that time slot, and if anything changes, I'll let you guys know

Roger... updating...

N11lAaL.jpg

Going to try for a newbie-friendly Vault of Glass run tomorrow beginning around 3:30pm EST** or so. Players of ANY experience level are welcome however.

My GT is Impala26

Your HaloGAF Raiders:
4: aHebrewMenagerie

It's a joke, Ram's right, it's much more chaotic and pronounced in CoD. The similarities are too funny to pass up making the joke, though.

Fair enough :p

Halo 5 looks nothing like the AW clips I've seen, lol. Dudes are constantly boosting around in that shit, looks horrible.

It's a God damn mess haha. Multiplayer is terrible. A shame too, since the single player was leagues better than Ghosts. I think I'm off COD from now on, unless Black Ops 3 is the Second Coming. I can see Halo 5 being my next multiplayer obsession.

Can't tell if sarcasm... AW is a bit too... chaotic. Everyone is boosting around the map, kills come out of no where, etc etc. Halo 5 still feels a bit like Halo.

COD is too fast to know what the hell is happening you are already dead 6 times before you see an enemy, really chaotic with instant respawns

King Leo

Neo Member
I just hope 343 focuses more on player investment with the launch of Halo 5. Not necessarily things like EXP or armor, but major features like functional file sharing, precise stat tracking, and a skill-based ranking system across the board. They failed to deliver these traditional features twice now, which is a bigger problem than they seem to realize. It keeps your fans playing your game far after launch, and entire communities are created around them. 343 really has lowered the standard of Microsoft's flagship franchise within these past few years..

I just hope 343 focuses more on player investment with the launch of Halo 5. Not necessarily things like EXP or armor, but major features like functional file sharing, precise stat tracking, and a skill-based ranking system across the board. They failed to deliver these traditional features twice now, which is a bigger problem than they seem to realize. It keeps your fans playing your game far after launch, and entire communities are created around them. 343 really has lowered the standard of Microsoft's flagship franchise within these past few years..

Maybe a month after launch

Computer

Ya its strange we have all already played Halo 5 but have not got any info on new mp features. Such as theater, clans, custom team logo creator, customs gun skins. They need some cool and new features added to the game.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I hope they announce some of these finer details at E3, but I have a feeling they're gonna focus more on single player this time around.

It really depends on the release date. If it's launching in August or September we'll probably get a lot of info by E3's end. If it's a November release it might be a while before we get the full details on the whole package.

Top Bottom