• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Welfare

They probably didn't want to add a map mid season. But I agree.... It's boring to watch the same maps with different gametypes each time. Should have just come up with some competetive Forge maps.

Also, wasn't Frankie saying that Relic might be included in HCS? If so, what are they going to play on that map? 1 Flag? lol

Relic in HCS? Might as well add in Ascension.

SaganIsGOAT

Is it just me or do the weapon models in Halo 2 Anniversary kinda like... jitter?

I noticed the bolt on the BR the other day. And tonight I noticed the carbine is all over the place. Everything is slightly moving. Can't unsee

I pointed this out a little while ago. Just look at how the models are shaking into different pieces. Even his armor is doing it. Wonder if it has to do with the graphics engine running on top of another? Are the models bound by the models beneath them?

Xbox Clips Video of the Rocket Launcher Shaking

Akai__

You could manually Forge out some of the play space and make it work effectively as a 4v4 or 5v5 probably.

If somebody has an idea and can make it work, why not.

I just don't see any potential in that map and I never liked it.

Relic in HCS? Might as well add in Ascension.

I could swear I saw Frankie answering the "Why Relic?" question somewhere. Maybe I'll look up the post later.

FyreWulff

It almost looks like an LOD (Level of Detail) issue - depending on how the LOD is done, as a model changes detail levels stuff will shift around as polygons are removed, but usually you don't visibly see it because they change at a distance where you don't see things shift.

It could also be a result of whatever method they use to make the 4:3 render get scretched to 16:9 - because at first it almost looked like a similar effect to walking past a fence. It seems to affect stuff moving on the horizontal more than the vertical.

Does it happen in H2A multi, which from what I remember is 1080p native? edit: actually that would be irrelevant since that's the Halo 4++ engine

What'd you ask?

Query: Who is victim, and who is foe?

I'm fairly interested in the concept of the logic plague. As a broad-stroke denominator, it seems to refer exclusively to constructs that defect from the ideals of the Forerunner Ecumene. There is no true "infected event horizon" specifically pertaining to the Flood, as far as I can tell. Constructs displaying even a modicum of inclination or propensity toward subterfuge were dismantled on sight in the later years of the war. This leads me to believe that the logic plague, while codified by the [compound intelligence] in a major way, could just as easily be carried out by any number of individuals capable of pockmarking the ideals behind the greater Ecumene conquest. For example, were a construct to fall to the side of Forthencho based on its own whims - such as discovering a human imbued with a Forerunner Genesong, and opting to aid it, etc. - it would likely be demarcated as being "plagued" despite being an entirely willful, albeit passive, change of heart with truly benevolent intent. This strikes me as particularly noteworthy because the modern-day (2551+ era) UNSC also notes human [bureaucratic tactical] forces not in ideological alignment with their own as immediately belonging to an Insurrectionist front, or more disingenuously a United Rebel Front.

The logic plague seems like a similarly-geared "us or them" label. I highly doubt that a "healthy" Mendicant Bias, in its forty-three [year] conversation with the Gravemind of the time, could have a specific window of time pinpointed as its subversion into the [poisoned fount] incarnation of Mendicant Bias. Do you believe it's possible, by extension, that "logic plague markers" are not an [intendens de tenebris redivivus]; but instead a series of checks and balances, in equal parts, designed to prevent degenerate continuous thought on part of the construct resulting in "Rampancy," as well as a way to keep truly intelligent constructs - "Smart AIs," by human coinage - from defecting beyond repair? There seem to be extremely few Forerunner artificial intelligence programs similar in power and routine use as the UNSC "Dumb AIs," one-dimensional constructs built for a singular, usually repetitive, mechanical process. That alone could have saved a substantial amount of lives in the original war.

Computer

After watching the HCS last night I really want to play Halo but I know it will just piss me off. That is why the HCS only had 7k viewers. No one cares about a game that is a chore to play. It really is sad due to how much time, work, and money go into putting on a good show only to have 7k views. MMC is killing its self. They really should have the game fixed before the HCS finals.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
After watching the HCS last night I really want to play Halo but I know it will just piss me off. That is why the HCS only had 7k viewers. No one cares about a game that is a chore to play. It really is sad due to how much time, work, and money go into putting on a good show only to have 7k views. MMC is killing its self. They really should have the game fixed before the HCS finals.

How do the HCS teams actually practice? Do they run customs all the time? Wonder why I rarely hear any outcry from HCS teams about MCC not working for them.

Haruko

How do the HCS teams actually practice? Do they run customs all the time? Wonder why I rarely hear any outcry from HCS teams about MCC not working for them.

They scrim in customs, yes.

Cloud 9 and CLG tend to stream them fairly often from what I've seen

TTUVAPOR

Banned
They scrim in customs, yes.

Cloud 9 and CLG tend to stream them fairly often from what I've seen

So they're probably not experiencing what the general population does...any they're only playing one specific type of MCC which is the H2A stuff.

I can't imagine having to depend on custom games to enjoy this game.

singhr1

It was maxing at ~10-11k on Oscars night. I'd say that's not bad for a broken game playing in a $10K tourney. Season 1 Finals at PAX will be the real test.

daedalius

So they're probably not experiencing what the general population does...any they're only playing one specific type of MCC which is the H2A stuff.

I can't imagine having to depend on custom games to enjoy this game.

Lol, I would rather play customs with a solid host for everyone playing than general matchmaking any time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
When do you all think we should expect Halo 5 campaign footage? E3?

Booshka

I wonder how broken MCC has affected 343/MS's marketing and hype plans for Halo 5. This major patch coming up isn't only to hopefully fix MCC, it also makes it easier for them to move on from the MCC debacle, so they can start trying to sell you their next Halo game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how broken MCC has affected 343/MS's marketing and hype plans for Halo 5. This major patch coming up isn't only to hopefully fix MCC, it also makes it easier for them to move on from the MCC debacle, so they can start trying to sell you their next Halo game.
They need to employ every marketing trick they've got to counteract the harm to the Halo brand. A giant marketing budget isn't gonna do it at this point. Halo 5 getting good reviews will help, but the more attentive fans will remember that MCC got good reviews, too. Halo 5 needs overwhelmingly positive fan feedback. Fixing the MCC and compensating the fans screwed over in the mean time will help, but it's still just harm reduction.

Welfare

They need to employ every marketing trick they've got to counteract the harm to the Halo brand. A giant marketing budget isn't gonna do it at this point. Halo 5 getting good reviews will help, but the more attentive fans will remember that MCC got good reviews, too. Halo 5 needs overwhelmingly positive fan feedback. Fixing the MCC and compensating the fans screwed over in the mean time will help, but it's still just harm reduction.

Ha ha. Ha ha. Ha.

Not happening.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I enjoyed the beta but I'm not buying Halo 5. I'll rent it for campaign. Halo MP doesn't appeal to me that much anymore. 5 years of mediocre games turned me off.

They need to do something special. I'm not entirely sure what that is.
Assuming the game isn't a Half-Life to Half-Life 2 level of .. sophistication jump / genre changing and is the next logical installment of Halo 4, - maybe something with price.
"All dlc maps free for the first year" or something.

Either way, I'd guess they are somewhat lowering estimates and/or planning countermeasures.

The retrospective for MCC feels like it must be on going.

Karl2177

Send me to Washington, give me a handful of hundos, and I'll put on my useless website "Halo 5 returns Halo to the fun of 200x*"

*before reading my review, users would be required to put in their favorite Halo game of 1-3 and it puts in whatever year that was

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There were some good deals going around for XBL subs, right? Can anyone point me to them?

I enjoyed the beta but I'm not buying Halo 5. I'll rent it for campaign. Halo MP doesn't appeal to me that much anymore. 5 years of mediocre games turned me off.
I just want a good Halo game that works and has a strong community behind it. I still love Halo, but good god the past few years have been terrible for it.

Send me to Washington, give me a handful of hundos, and I'll put on my useless website "Halo 5 returns Halo to the fun of 200x*"

*before reading my review, users would be required to put in their favorite Halo game of 1-3 and it puts in whatever year that was
so innovative #hirekarl

RBK

Banned
Guarantee you Halo 5 has 5 million sales by year's end. Not going to go as far as and say record-setting numbers.

The "MCC effect" is overblown.

Welfare

Guarantee you Halo 5 has 5 million sales by year's end. Not going to go as far as and say record-setting numbers.

5 million by year end worldwide? That would be a huge drop in sales compared to the previous Halo's.

No matter what, it's selling >7 million by the end of the year.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

In an age of gamers getting increasingly fed up with broken games, MCC is heads and shoulders the most egregious example. MS goofed big time.

Another thought: I think it's pretty likely Halo 5 will launch in September. I'm not so sure the Halo brand can compete with the plethora of games released in November anymore. It's better to set it loose at time of relative calm.

RBK

Banned
5 million by year end worldwide? That would be a huge drop in sales compared to the previous Halo's.

No matter what, it's selling >7 million by the end of the year.

Just looked up Halo 3 sales and I guess it wasn't a good estimate. Nothing concrete on H4, but it sold better at launch than Reach at least.

7 million is definitely possible.
In an age of gamers getting increasingly fed up with broken games, MCC is heads and shoulders the most egregious example. MS goofed big time.

Yeah, but they're all forgotten about once the series progresses on. Didn't play BF4 at launch but I don't think the "brokenness" of the game had a long-term effect on Battlefield as a whole. Hardline is still going to do respectable numbers.

I don't think it will sell 5 million by the end of the year. Maybe total lifetime sales, but not in less than 6 months.

Computer

Halo 5 is said to be playable at pax in a few weeks. I hope it is an updated version of multiplier. Would be cool to see the new changes in action.

daedalius

Another thought: I think it's pretty likely Halo 5 will launch in September. I'm not so sure the Halo brand can compete with the plethora of games released in November anymore. It's better to set it loose at time of relative calm.

If there is one thing that America as a market and people has shown, is we collectively have impeccable memory.

Halo 5 is said to be playable at pax in a few weeks. I hope it is an updated version of multiplier. Would be cool to see the new changes in action.

Gonna assume it's the build they used for the public beta.

You're underestimating the Halo brand then.

Halo's sales have been on the decline for a while, not to mention the much smaller install base of the Xbox One compared to the 360. The whole MCC situation won't greatly impact sales like some may think, but I think it's just an issue of most people not caring anymore and a much smaller install base.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but they're all forgotten about once the series progresses on. Didn't play BF4 at launch but I don't think the "brokenness" of the game had a long-term effect on Battlefield as a whole. Hardline is still going to do respectable numbers.
MCC is worse than BF4 was, though. And that's saying something, lol. The Halo brand can recover, but after years of bad press it's gonna be hard.

If there is one thing that America as a market and people has shown, is we collectively have impeccable memory.
As an American, I can't personally recall an example showing otherwise, so yes I agree emphatically.

Top Bottom