• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Welfare

Those numbers are 1) outdated

and 2) source chartzzzz.

This was back in 2012 before Halo 4 launched
halo4-3.jpg

and we know that the Halo franchise has sold over 60 million units before MCC launch.

MCC is worse than BF4 was, though. And that's saying something, lol. The Halo brand can recover, but after years of bad press it's gonna be hard.
Years of bad press from where? 9.8 from IGN for Halo 4 and critical success from other sites and decent enough reviews for TMCC despite its condition. Also, we haven't really seen an uproar from the gaming press over its current state, so maybe it's not as bad as Halo fans are thinking.

If anything, we still see a lot of excitement over Halo 5 because people are ready for a fresh new Halo.

Blueblur1

I hope Microsoft holds some kind of spring showcase like they have in the past. Would be nice to get an update on Halo 5's development before E3. Maybe show a little more MP before the big E3 campaign reveal.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Lol, I would rather play customs with a solid host for everyone playing than general matchmaking any time.

So would I, but I don't have a massive friends list with people running customs and frankly, I don't have the time to wait around for people to play customs.

Pro Halo players have it made when it comes to being able to get into custom games anytime they want.

Us commoners are stuck with matchmaking.

I hope Microsoft holds some kind of spring showcase like they have in the past. Would be nice to get an update on Halo 5's development before E3. Maybe show a little more MP before the big E3 campaign reveal.

I'm thinking we'll get a look at the new BTB before E3. Not much of one, and probably no hands-on time for the public, but just a peek.

I need to know of if the vulture is in it. 343, pls.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Years of bad press from where? 9.8 from IGN for Halo 4 and critical success from other sites and decent enough reviews for TMCC despite its condition. Also, we haven't really seen an uproar from the gaming press over its current state, so maybe it's not as bad as Halo fans are thinking.

If anything, we still see a lot of excitement over Halo 5 because people are ready for a fresh new Halo.
There's been some press coverage, but I mostly meant Twitter, Facebook, forums, etc. I'd say pretty much every gamer is at least somewhat familiar with the MCC disaster.

RBK

Banned

and 2) source chartzzzz.

and we know that the Halo franchise has sold over 60 million units before MCC launch.

Even if I overestimate the sales estimates in that pic by 1 million over for each game, you'll have about 13-14 million of uncounted sales for Halo 4 alone. Plus we're missing Spartan Assault as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't overestimate the damage either.

Frankly, not being sale number gurus I'd be cautious of people putting numbers out there at all.

Perhaps one could look at other franchises that have had similar struggles and guesstimate from that, but not only at we largely ignorant of the skills required to be accurate, ignorant of a lot of the facts too.
To put my own qualifications / cautions aside for a minute - it's such a strange context for the game to come out in; the One both doing brilliantly & poorly (at the same time), market transitions, the esports push that is the air as to how it will turn out, coming off of Halo 4, the MCC damage and don't forget (I constantly do) that whisper quiet Showtime tv show.

I'm definitely staying around to see how it all shakes out, and ultimately am just interested in whether 343 make a great campaign that surprises me. In a pleasant fashion this time rather than a nose wrinkling one.
As far as I'm concerned, they really have to knock it out of the park.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I wouldn't overestimate the damage either.

Frankly, not being sale number gurus I'd be cautious of people putting numbers out there at all.

Perhaps one could look at other franchises that have had similar struggles and guesstimate from that, but not only at we largely ignorant of the skills required to be accurate, ignorant of a lot of the facts too.
Even that aside it's such a strange context for the game to come out in; the One both doing brilliantly & poorly (at the same time), market transitions, the esports push that is the air as to how it will turn out, coming off of Halo 4, the MCC damage and don't forget (I constantly do) that whisper quiet Showtime tv show.
Totally. I'm just speaking in hunches and generalizations. It should generally be assumed that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Edit : 12 month XBL sub for $35.99 via NewEgg

Computer

If they unveil a new BTB/Battfield type of multiplayer and promote it as a new type of Halo MP it will sell very well. Even the MCC owners that swear they are done with Halo will fall to the MS marketing hammer. When the hype takes hold there is no fighting it.

Madness

I definitely think some of you are underestimating the damage done by MCC. I'm sure Halo 5 will be the best selling Xbox One exclusive this year, and that it will sell quite a bit. But some of you are putting out ridiculous sales figures.

Even if the gaming press has ignored the problems, Halo fans haven't. Even if they are a vocal minority, they can sway popular opinion. And you definitely know that sites like IGN and others will definitely bring up MCC when it's time to hope Halo 5.

Whereas I knew several people including myself who went out and bought consoles, others took time off work for MCC, no one I know wants Halo 5. Even I'm feeling I don't really want it, as opposed to buying it just for the sake of it. This is a sentiment shared by others I assume. If MCC still plays like crap come September or November or whenever they're releasing Halo 5, why would I support that?

Deception

You guys seriously think Halo 5 will sell more than 7 million copies by the end of 2015? That's pretty insane especially considering TMCC only sold what 800k in a month, and games like CODAW only sold 1.8 mil in a month and a half. Now Halo 5 definitely has the potential to sell 7 million lifetime copies but I'd expect a more grounded 1.5-2 million copies by the end of 2015 (if it comes out on November) and 3 million if it comes out in September like it has been rumored to be.

You're underestimating the Halo brand then.

No doubt H5 will sell well sales was never the problem

They are hitting at the perfect time. CoD kids are getting sick of it. The only people who be complaining are Halo fans. If they have half a bran, launch in September. CoD players are going right back to it when it launches.

Welfare

I definitely think some of you are underestimating the damage done by MCC. I'm sure Halo 5 will be the best selling Xbox One exclusive this year, and that it will sell quite a bit. But some of you are putting out ridiculous sales figures.

Even if the gaming press has ignored the problems, Halo fans haven't. Even if they are a vocal minority, they can sway popular opinion. And you definitely know that sites like IGN and others will definitely bring up MCC when it's time to hope Halo 5.

Whereas I knew several people including myself who went out and bought consoles, others took time off work for MCC, no one I know wants Halo 5. Even I'm feeling I don't really want it, as opposed to buying it just for the sake of it. This is a sentiment shared by others I assume. If MCC still plays like crap come September or November or whenever they're releasing Halo 5, why would I support that?

Halo 4 was the fastest selling Halo game in the US for a while into 2013. That just proves to me the casual market will not give 2 shits.

"A collection of games I already played? Meh who cares."

"Halo 5?! Can't wait!"

The Microsoft marketing will ensure the game is a commercial success.
You guys seriously think Halo 5 will sell more than 7 million copies by the end of 2015? That's pretty insane especially considering TMCC only sold what 800k in a month, and games like CODAW only sold 1.8 mil in a month and a half. Now Halo 5 definitely has the potential to sell 7 million lifetime copies but I'd expect a more grounded 1.5-2 million copies by the end of 2015 (if it comes out on November) and 3 million if it comes out in September like it has been rumored to be.
MCC sold >660k in the US launch month. Mainline Halo's have been doing ~3.3m in their launch month since Halo 2.

RBK

Banned
MCC isn't a mainline Halo game. Couldn't find COD sales anywhere but I'm sure all have sold more than Halo simply because it's multiplatform.

Speaking of CoD, Microsoft cannot make that mistake again of releasing Halo that close to a new CoD again.

Halo needs to release when there's little to no competition around it so there can be a decent multiplayer population for some time. Maybe that would provide people with enough time to build that familiarity to stick with it instead of dropping it the second CoD launches.

belushy

Banned
Halo 5 is said to be playable at pax in a few weeks. I hope it is an updated version of multiplier. Would be cool to see the new changes in action.

That would be cool. Could be a nice way to reveal the changes they made. It is also during the HCS season finals so there are pros there to play it as well.

So would I, but I don't have a massive friends list with people running customs and frankly, I don't have the time to wait around for people to play customs.

Pro Halo players have it made when it comes to being able to get into custom games anytime they want.

Us commoners are stuck with matchmaking.

If they would add BACK in the ability to join customs in progress, this shit would be much more bearable.

Madness

Halo 4 was the fastest selling Halo game in the US for a while into 2013. That just proves to me the casual market will not give 2 shits.

"A collection of games I already played? Meh who cares."

"Halo 5?! Can't wait!"

The Microsoft marketing will ensure the game is a commercial success.

The install base was also like 90 million+ Xbox 360 at the time of Halo 4 as well. It's a different time now. The game will be a commercial success but it's not going to the sales juggernaut some are thinking.

Also, I don't know, I don't think Halo 4 was as great a seller as people think. A month after launch, it was 3rd in NPD, in January 2013, less than two months after launch, it was 7th on NPD's, and by February wasn't even in the top ten sellers anymore.

Impala26

Speaking of CoD, Microsoft cannot make that mistake again of releasing Halo that close to a new CoD again.

Halo needs to release when there's little to no competition around it so there can be a decent multiplayer population for some time. Maybe that would provide people with enough time to build that familiarity to stick with it instead of dropping it the second CoD launches.

It's this more than anything why a mainline Halo release needs to be staggered from the annual CoD release. It's the only chance new players have to develop any sort of attachment it to it, rather than getting frustrated by not playing well and then just saying "eff it" and moving on to the annual CoD immediately afterwards because it's "easy" and "familiar".

Releasing halo games earlier would make them compete against Battlefield games I think

RBK

Banned
Just look at the numbers.

A fair and valid argument would be that some of H4's sustained success is from it being in a bundle shortly after release.

5 million for H5 is definitely possible, 7 is somewhat of a stretch but it's doable.

Cow

Will ranks in playlists work as ranks should once added? Matching people of +/- 10 skill and balancing the skill levels on each team. Has anyone from 343 said anything about this?

Madness

FsRGpMe.jpg

I don't like how MCC is now being talked of as if it was always going to sell less, it's not a mainline game etc. In the month before launch, it was selling better than both versions of advanced warfare. It was also the highlight of E3 for Microsoft and pre-release and launch night, viewers were starting to rival counterstrike on twitch. IGN even dedicated a month to it.

Had MCC not had issues, it probably would have sold millions more. I'll even go so far as to say that the problems with MCC and it's death in sales, contributed to Xbox One losing the January NPD. Its key holiday exclusive has been an utter balls-up.

RBK

Banned
Is that a hourly chart? Monthly? Year? Picture can mean anything honestly.

EDIT: I'm just going to assume hourly considering Titanfall's price.

Welfare

The install base was also like 90 million+ Xbox 360 at the time of Halo 4 as well. It's a different time now. The game will be a commercial success but it's not going to the sales juggernaut some are thinking.

Also, I don't know, I don't think Halo 4 was as great a seller as people think. A month after launch, it was 3rd in NPD, in January 2013, less than two months after launch, it was 7th on NPD's, and by February wasn't even in the top ten sellers anymore.

In the US the 360 was at an install base of ~41m. The game by the end of 2012 sold >5m

Halo 3 on an install base of ~9m sold 4.8m by the end of 2007.

Halo Reach did >4m on an install base of ~25m by the end of 2010.

By the time Halo 5 comes out, the install base in the US will be over the install base of the 360 by the time Halo 3 came out. But still, it seems Halo in just the US does >4m in just the first couple of months.

The first mainline Halo title on the new generation Xbox will sell big time.

It's this more than anything why a mainline Halo release needs to be staggered from the annual CoD release. It's the only chance new players have to develop any sort of attachment it to it, rather than getting frustrated by not playing well and then just saying "eff it" and moving on to the annual CoD immediately afterwards because it's "easy" and "familiar".
I think this has always been a huge issue that's been criminally overlooked or just not given a serious concern over. To me, Halo has felt like they just send it off to die and they'll just continue to release it whenever they think it will have the best financial success on launch without much care for anything else.

Those launch sales figures thooooo, who gives a damn about multiplayer populations if they already got your money, eh? They don't give a damn about you not being able to play on those map packs a week after they release, they don't give a damn about releasing so close to other multiplayer franchises that they're so adamant to take players from, they don't give a damn about what we really think because we'll buy it anyway, they just don't give a damn.. or at least that's how it feels many times, and can anyone really be blamed for feeling this way?

We're all waiting for Halo to bounce back so the fanbase can come together again, but they can't make the same decisions that history has proven to be terrible for many years now. Will Halo 5 have a Custom Games Browser, the one thing fans have wanted for so many years that could drastically improve the longevity and excitement of this franchise? Who knows, but it's not like Halo devs haven't known about how much we wanted it for the past ~10 years.

etc.

Releasing halo games earlier would make them compete against Battlefield games I think
I would like for a Summer release for Halo 5 and for it to be repackaged around the holidays to include any DLC for $60, or at the very latest a September release.

Computer

If anyone from 343 is reading Halo 5 needs a instant replay feature added to the spectator mode. While watching the HCS tournament there were so many awesome plays that could have only been seen unless you were watching live or scavenge through hours of footage after the vid is archived. The casters should be able to just replay highlights as they happen or right after the game has ended. The did replay one highlight but they spent 10 min fast forwarding a film to watch a 10 second clip. Just looks unprofessional for a esport game.

Haruko

Do those numbers for the more recent games include digital downloads? It seems like those figures are a lot harder to find

CyReN

and 2) source chartzzzz.

halo4-3.jpg

Here's some stats released in November about Halo by Microsoft PR:

Accolades and Awards:
The “Halo” series of games is amongst the most critically acclaimed of all time:
• Over the past ten years, “Halo” games have collectively garnered more than 740 media and industry awards, accolades and nominations.
• “Halo” games have received more than 100 “Game of the Year” awards from major media organizations, as well as multiple “Game of the Decade” accolades for their impact on the industry and global pop culture.
• Guinness World Records named “Halo” the number one game series of all time, based on a 2010 reader poll.
• “Halo: Combat Evolved” appeared as one of 20 unique cover designs for Edge Magazine’s 20th anniversary edition, which came out in August 2013. The publication celebrated the defining games of each year that has passed since Edge’s launch in August 1993, and “Halo: Combat Evolved” was chosen as the defining title of 2001.

Interesting facts:
• More than 60 million copies of “Halo” games have been sold worldwide.
• The “Halo” franchise has generated over $4 billion in worldwide sales to date.
• “Halo 4” surpassed more than $220 million in worldwide sales in the first 24 hours and more than $300 million worldwide in its first week, making it the biggest “Halo” launch in history.
• “Halo: Reach” generated more than $200 million in sales in the United States and Europe in its first 24 hours, eclipsing all previous 2010 U.S. entertainment launches, including the three-day opening weekends of Hollywood blockbusters “Iron Man 2,” “Alice in Wonderland” and “Toy Story 3.”
• First-day sales of “Halo 3” reached $170 million in the U.S., breaking all previous single day entertainment launch records, and breaking the record held by “Halo 2” ($125 million).
• “Halo” games are bestsellers on both the original Xbox and Xbox 360 platforms. “Halo: Combat Evolved” and “Halo 2” were the top two selling games on Xbox, and “Halo 3,” “Halo: Reach” and “Halo 4” are three of the bestselling games on Xbox 360.
• More than 11 million copies of the “Halo” series of books, comics and strategy guides have been sold. Twelve of the 14 novels are New York Times bestsellers.
• The live-action digital series “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn,” which premiered on Oct. 5, 2012, has generated more than 59 million total views across all online content.
• In its first week after launching on Oct. 22, the “Halo 4” soundtrack broke franchise records by peaking at #50 on Billboard’s top 200, #10 in the United States Independent Album charts, and #3 in the National U.S. Soundtrack chart.
• The “Halo 3” soundtrack made the Billboard 200 on Dec. 15, 2007, and also reached a peak position of #18 on Billboard's Top Soundtracks list, and #20 on Top Independent Albums. The “Halo: Reach” soundtrack eclipsed the success of all previous “Halo” soundtracks when it reached the #8 spot on Billboard’s Top 10 Soundtracks list on Sept. 23, 2010.
• For the “Halo 4” launch, the Didact glyph fly-over was the largest and brightest man-made flying structure to ever fly over London, measuring 50ft in diameter and weighing 3.2 tons. In total there were 113,096 LEDs onboard.
• More than 2.7 million people played the “Halo: Reach” multiplayer beta in May 2010 over two weeks, surpassing all previous console video game beta tests on record, and tripling the number of players who participated in the “Halo 3” beta in half the amount of time.
• Since the launch of “Halo 3,” players have generated more than 120 million pieces of user-generated content from within the game.
• More than 5.8 billion hours of “Halo” gameplay has been logged by players on Xbox Live.
• The “Halo” franchise averages over 3 million online users per month across all titles.

Key Beats in the “Halo” Franchise Timeline:

• The first Halo novel, “Halo: Fall of Reach” released in Oct. 2001; 13 other novels follow, 11 of which become New York Times bestsellers.
• “Halo: Combat Evolved” launches on Nov. 15, 2001; becomes the gold standard for console shooters.
• “Halo 2” launches on Nov. 9, 2004; bestselling original Xbox game of all time and sets a new record as the biggest entertainment launch ever with day one revenues over $125 million.
• “Halo” graphic novel releases on Jul. 19, 2006 from Marvel Comics.
• The “Halo 3” Beta launches May 11, 2007 and 820,000 players clock upwards of 12 million hours of play over the four weeks of the Beta.
• “Halo 3” launches on Sept. 25, 2007; sets record as the biggest entertainment launch in history and becomes bestselling game of 2007.
• Marvel releases limited edition comic series between Oct. 2007-Jun. 2009; makes the New York Times bestseller list for graphic books.
• “Halo Wars” launches on Feb. 26, 2009; makes history as the bestselling console real time strategy game ever.
• “Halo 3: ODST” launches on Sept 22, 2009, selling more than 2.5 million copies within two weeks of release, totaling more than $125 million in sales.
• “Halo” Encyclopedia published on Oct. 19, 2009 from DK Publishing.
• “Halo Legends” anime series released by Warner Home Video on Feb. 16, 2010.
• The “Halo: Reach” Multiplayer Beta runs from May 3, 2010 through May 20, 2010 and more than 2.7 million people participate, surpassing all previous console video game beta tests on record, and tripling the number of players who participated in the “Halo 3” Beta.
• and sees over 2.2 million players log upwards of 24 million hours of play.
• “Halo: Reach” launches on Sept. 14, 2010; becomes the biggest game yet in the “Halo” series and surpasses all previous 2010 U.S. entertainment launches with more than $200 million in day-one sales.
• “Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary,” a remastered version of the original “Halo” campaign with fan-favorite maps and new features, launches on Nov. 15, 2011 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the franchise
• “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn,” a groundbreaking live-action digital series premieres on Oct. 5, 2012.
• “Halo 4” launches on Nov. 6, 2012, breaking the record for the biggest launch in franchise history with more than $220 million in day-one sales and more than $300 million in first-week revenue.
• “Halo: Spartan Assault” launches on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 on July 18, 2013, becoming the first “Halo” game designed specifically for touch-based devices.

“Halo” Licensed Products:
From clothing to collectible action figures to award-winning soundtracks, the “Halo” franchise extends far beyond the games. With over 35 licensees helping expand the “Halo” universe, there is something for every “Halo” enthusiast. More than $1B in sales is a testament to the growth and success of this program:

• More than $1 billion in “Halo” consumer product sales worldwide
• Over 12 million Halo action figures have sold since 2005
• Over 50 million Halo Mega Bloks products have been sold since 2009
• Over 11.5 million fiction novels, graphic novels, comics, art books & strategy guides sold
• Over 950,000 Halo soundtracks sold
• Over 1.4 million Halo individual music tracks downloaded

------

Not sure if I can believe the "Halo franchise averages over 3 million online users per month across all titles" fact.

Welfare

Here's some stats released in November about Halo by Microsoft PR:

------

Not sure if I can believe the "Halo franchise averages over 3 million online users per month across all titles" fact.

That could be 3 million unique users per month

@gamerxone720:
2015-02-21 20:36:35 UTC
@XboxP3 @CanineSnow will their be halo 5 story gameplay at GDC or we have to wait for e3?

@XboxP3:
2015-02-21 20:37:00 UTC
@gamerxone720 @CanineSnow Can't answer this one.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/569234353143701504

I'd be surprised if we got anything related to Halo 5's story at GDC.

I feel like that was more of a "how would I know?" answer than it was playing coy. Though I'd be happy to be wrong.

Madness

They're going up against treyarch and Nazi Zombies again, Halo should take the Destiny approach and release in September

I think Battlefront will be the bigger challenge. Not only will Star Wars utilize the fact it's been so long since a Battlefront game, but that Force Awakens will come soon as well. A strong marketing push by EA can really make the game a huge hit. Call of Duty will always be Call of Duty, Halo cannot afford to lose fans to a third series.

Yeah it's going to be a really crazy year for shooters. It'll be interesting to see when Halo 5 launches and what the competition is gonna be like.

Akai__

Doubt there'll be something Halo 5 related at GDC. Only Sparth is there from 343i it seems. Maybe concept art, if we get lucky.

Oh right, Battlefront.. Uh oh lol

As a long time Halo fan since CE, I can say that I am clearly more excited for Battlefront than Halo 5. They should not release near each other if possible.

But we'll see if that still holds up after we've seen some actual footage from Battlefront. So far it's all just hopes, dreams and imagination.

BokehKing

Banned
I think Battlefront will be the bigger challenge. Not only will Star Wars utilize the fact it's been so long since a Battlefront game, but that Force Awakens will come soon as well. A strong marketing push by EA can really make the game a huge hit. Call of Duty will always be Call of Duty, Halo cannot afford to lose fans to a third series.
Yeah but isn't battlefront a 3rd person shooter?

Top Bottom