• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

The ludicrous lock-on auto aim and 3rd person view, along with the atrocious enemy AI, are part of what made the game fun to me.

EA/Dice: "Oh hey, that's cool. Yeah... We're gonna go ahead and reskin Battlefield 4 with Star Wars characters. That's what you want, right?"

Still looking forward to it.

Fuchsdh

EA/Dice: "Oh hey, that's cool. Yeah... We're gonna go ahead and reskin Battlefield 4 with Star Wars characters. That's what you want, right?"

Eh I don't think that *won't* be fun, but for me in the pre-Xbox Live days the game of my brother and I seeing who could just rampage through the other team's reinforcements first was its own interesting metagame.

And at the least I highly doubt the AI are going to be much better this go-around..

I don't think its gonna be delayed. It has to come out in the same time frame as the movie to get in on that disney money.

Yeah no way in hell it's gonna miss that release window. Especially if most of the Ep.7 content comes in the form of DLC. They're gonna come out with plenty of lead time whether it's working or not.

DJ Gunner

I'd play the shit out of this, seriously.

I enjoyed the Battlefront games due to the IP- the gameplay was pretty forgettable, imo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
And it will still shit on the earlier Battlefront's from a great height. Seriously, those games were bad.

I liked them, but yeah they weren't anything groundbreaking.

That said, I'd prefer Battlefront to be something other than a reskinned BF. Give it its own identity.

First time playing MCC in team snipers in a while and holy heck Halo 2 classic net code is straight-up garbage still.

Half my sniper shots were whiffing while clearly hitting them and my opponents managed to one hit KO's me every time.

Hilarious enough once the game switched to Halo CE I didn't miss a beat.

And it will still shit on the earlier Battlefront's from a great height. Seriously, those games were bad.

They were average, but fun to run around in.
And seeing as how i was nine when it came out i loved the hell out of it.
Playing as the characters from the movies was amazing and mind blowing back then .
Battlefront 2 is an experience fully dictated by nostalgia for me.

DJ Gunner

First time playing MCC in team snipers in a while and holy heck Halo 2 classic net code is straight-up garbage still.

Half my sniper shots were whiffing while clearly hitting them and my opponents managed to one hit KO's me every time.

Hilarious enough once the game switched to Halo CE I didn't miss a beat.

I know this does not make any sense as H2C is hitscan- but I've noticed on multiple occasions that you have to lead your shots with the sniper. I should have recorded clips of it the other night when I played, but I've done it enough now to know I'm not imagining it..

(I realize this doesn't explain the sniper missing shots when the target isn't moving at all- just sharing what I have seen)

Varg

Banned
Just got my xbox one Friday and it was mostly for my love for halo. I knew going in that this game would be a mess but surprisingly after a weekend of straight playing I had a blast. I played I would say about 40 matches to from Friday till now, with that being a mixture of halo ce, halo 2 classic, and halo 3. The fame ran smoothly and there was maybe two games that were Unplayable due to lag. My system is hard wired and have about 20/20 connection speed. What really bugged me was the randomness of the team compositions. Sometimes it would be 5 vs 3 or 2 vs 4. Playing halo 2 really brings back the feels man. I can see myself playing this game for a long time. I honestly can't wait to see how the next patch fixes whatever problems everyone is having so I can start playing ranked.

Halo 5 looks excellent as well. Wish I had a chance to play. Off topic; I also tried the forza horizon 2 demo and was blown away at how amazing the game was. Will probably be my next purchase :D.

singhr1

I know this does not make any sense as H2C is hitscan- but I've noticed on multiple occasions that you have to lead your shots with the sniper. I should have recorded clips of it the other night when I played, but I've done it enough now to know I'm not imagining it..

(I realize this doesn't explain the sniper missing shots when the target isn't moving at all- just sharing what I have seen)

Yup, have experienced the same thing. I've never played H2 extensively back in the day so I have no recollection of how the H2 sniper worked but its difficult to use right now.

Ramirez

I liked them, but yeah they weren't anything groundbreaking.

That said, I'd prefer Battlefront to be something other than a reskinned BF. Give it its own identity.

I think it'll have its on feel, but I really hope DICE doesn't listen to the diehard fans. 1st/3rd person split games don't work, keep the 3rd person for vehicles I guess, and keep bots the hell out of MP, completely ruins the competitive aspect for me.

-Ryn

Banned
How would you guys feel about a toggle for first person driving in Halo? I think it'd be pretty cool since I dig the look of it though they'd need to put a tad more detail into the vehicles.

Custom Halo Xbox One 343 made for someone from Make A Wish.

B-j_StiCUAElsSl.png

https://twitter.com/bsangel/status/569986050153558016
Looks nice. Dat shine.

Fuchsdh

How would you guys feel about a toggle for first person driving in Halo? I think it'd be pretty cool since I dig the look of it though they'd need to put a tad more detail into the vehicles.

Looks nice. Dat shine.

I've always hated first-person in vehicles, and the switch to third person in Halo was one of the things I really loved about the game (although on paper I would have thought I'd hate it.)

I know some people really want first-person view in passenger vehicles a la CE, which makes sense from an "I want to aim at stuff" standpoint.

Looks nice. Dat shine.

It would be on a nice to have list. Not a has to have list. I would be happy with a toggle.

Looks nice. Dat shine.

Eh. First person racing is cool, and it'd be a sweet custom games option, but I dunno about how well it'd work in regular gameplay.

Ghazi

1th person driving would kinda suck, though. Third gives you that view around you much better, and also controls general direction.

Booshka

Hood cam is the best way to race, in actual racing games, you see the driving the line the best, and have a better idea of how your car is positioned to the track than you would in Cockpit view.

Cockpit is for Oculus/VR.

Halo does it right in third person, especially since it is about combat as much as it is about driving.

hm... has 343i mentioned if theatre mode is returning for H5 (campaign/MP)?

Gawd....after all the other crap missing or broken, that one just...how much more powerful is the xbone exactly? And they can't make it work?

I want to know, after all final fixes, what was left out, and WHY.

Karl2177

I think it'll have its on feel, but I really hope DICE doesn't listen to the diehard fans. 1st/3rd person split games don't work, keep the 3rd person for vehicles I guess, and keep bots the hell out of MP, completely ruins the competitive aspect for me.

Playing Battlefront competitively is like playing Destiny PvP competitively. You're doing it wrong.

-Ryn

Banned
I've always hated first-person in vehicles, and the switch to third person in Halo was one of the things I really loved about the game (although on paper I would have thought I'd hate it.)

I know some people really want first-person view in passenger vehicles a la CE, which makes sense from an "I want to aim at stuff" standpoint.
lol aiming in first person in a Warthog side seat was near impossible for me. It'd make for some kickass montages though.

It would be on a nice to have list. Not a has to have list. I would be happy with a toggle.
It's certainly more of a want.
I just love how it looks and feels when you get better at it.

Eh. First person racing is cool, and it'd be a sweet custom games option, but I dunno about how well it'd work in regular gameplay.
There's a mod I linked below that shows a basic idea of it.

If they reintroduced being able to see passenger and gunner health I think it would be able to work much better. Though third person does provide better awareness. Maybe they could make looking behind you easier though.

1th person driving would kinda suck, though. Third gives you that view around you much better, and also controls general direction.
Frank-Underwood-GIFS.gif

I think it could work really well provided the FoV were improved. This mod shows a bit of what it could be like

Hood cam is the best way to race, in actual racing games, you see the driving the line the best, and have a better idea of how your car is positioned to the track than you would in Cockpit view.

Cockpit is for Oculus/VR.

Halo does it right in third person, especially since it is about combat as much as it is about driving.
I do like third person driving for sure and its advantages.

First person's definitely more suited for Oculus. I just love it because it makes everything feel more aggressive. It's an adrenaline rush. Do you think there's any way it could be made into something more viable?

I don't like it. It feels very bad to control.
It might have to do with the detached nature, limited FOV and visual movement, and lack of awareness.

HTupolev

lol aiming in first person in a Warthog side seat was near impossible for me.
Sure, but it's not like the third person is a huge improvement. Side-seat snipes in Reach weren't doable because people could aim; they were doable because people didn't have to.

Top Bottom