• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

-Ryn

Banned
I don't like it. It feels very bad to control.
It might have to do with the detached nature, limited FOV and visual movement, and lack of awareness.
It definitely feels detached in games like Battlefield. I've played racing games where it felt fluid though. I think the main problem with it is the jankiness you usually have to deal with. If they could smooth it out and make it easier to look around that'd really help things out.

First person driving in halo is vomit fuel.

Go into halo 1 btb and sit in the passenger seat. If you're not throwing up in 5 minutes, you're lying.
My brother and I used to just drive around CE taking out baddies in the side seat. Good times.

Sure, but it's not like the third person is a huge improvement. Side-seat snipes in Reach weren't doable because people could aim; they were doable because people didn't have to.
True. If you ever tried shooting from side seat in a revenant it was headshots galore.

Madness

If battlefront is only first person I don't need it.

Just too much easy money to be made with a first person shooter set in the Star Wars universe. Even the first teaser trailer, they easily could have showed someone in third person, but it was a first person shot under a massive AT-AT on Hoth. I think vehicular stuff will be third person, with DICE BF style FPS shooting/combat.

Mix

Bleh I miss playing Halo 5... really hope we get new info on literally anything to do with it. GDC doesn't seem like the place for it, does it?

I'm gonna say not. I'm pretty sure 343 is only doing what is essentially mandatory because of the work they're doing for the MCC. I'm hoping I'm wrong though, I would love some Halo 5 news.

RSB

Banned
If battlefront is only first person I don't need it.
Yeah, if Battlefront is first person only then I'm not interested. Anyway, my most anticipated game from DICE is and always has been Mirror's Edge 2. As long as they don't fuck that up I'll be ok.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just too much easy money to be made with a first person shooter set in the Star Wars universe. Even the first teaser trailer, they easily could have showed someone in third person, but it was a first person shot under a massive AT-AT on Hoth. I think vehicular stuff will be third person, with DICE BF style FPS shooting/combat.
DICE's normal shooting mechanics are awful and have no place in StarWars. A third person/fps switch would still gain money

Yeah, if Battlefront is first person only then I'm not interested. Anyway, my most anticipated game from DICE is and always has been Mirror's Edge 2. As long as they don't fuck that up I'll be ok.
Yeah same for me but I don't trust them at this point to pull it off

AlStrong

It better be. Upload Studio isn't enough.
Yar. Gotta have those awesome camera angles (& supersampled!). :)

I'd be surprised if it doesn't at least return for MP, given what spectator mode is doing.

Ah right. Forgot about that. Yeah, not too worried about MP tbh.

The only thing they should announce is that they plan on releasing a video game this Fall. The rest is up in the air.

Booo

:p

Gawd....after all the other crap missing or broken, that one just...how much more powerful is the xbone exactly? And they can't make it work?

I want to know, after all final fixes, what was left out, and WHY.

On the one hand, I was rather curious if they'd leave some of these things to the system functions (like the Terminals & snap).

On the other hand, for campaign I was also wondering if they could solve the co-op lag by ditching the lock-step/deterministic model though maybe that would make the recording much more difficult or less reliable or a much bigger file ? (Paging FyreWulff :p)

---

An in-game detached camera mode would still be nice for single player/local co-op (with the ability to freeze time).

I'm really hoping Battlefront isn't a battlefield reskin.

I really don't wanna drop shooting games from my genre list, the next gears of war will be (almost) all I have left to look forward too

Rockyrock

Jesus, all H2A is now is slayer. Literally all people vote for. And when you do finally get OBJ people just quit out.

Whats left of the Halo community is so bad...

Jesus, all H2A is now is slayer. Literally all people vote for. And when you do finally get OBJ people just quit out.

keep trying to tell people this, if obj had BR starts it'd be picked more often.

people would rather play slayer over and over and spawn with a BR than play ball or flag with AR/SMG starts, and i cant really blame them. Flag with SMG starts blows when the other guys have snipes and BR

Madness

3+ months and they can't even get an objective playlist going? It's ridiculous how poor this game has been as a launched product, and how it's been managed.

3+ months and they can't even get an objective playlist going? It's ridiculous how poor this game has been as a launched product, and how it's been managed.

TRUST US

On a serious note, it's sad. It's like when Jerry Buss passed on and Jim Buss watched the Lakers wilter beneath him as he sat on the money that he didn't even earn :/

Welfare

It took them 2 years to add an objective playlist to Halo 4.

343 have shit playlist management.

It took them 2 years to add an objective playlist to Halo 4.

343 have shit playlist management.

I seriously question what the 300+ members of that team do. Are they all super busy? Like isn't it their damn job to keep the game up to date, rotate playlists, add content?

jem0208

4's playlist is the only one where people consistently vote for different things from my experience. I've played about half objective and half slayer. All the other playlists are just slayer constantly.

Dunno why the voters are so much better in that one compared to the others.

Could be due to loadouts and being able to choose your starting weapon.

I play everything that I sink time into competitively. *shrug*

If I'm not playing to win, why am I playing?

For fun? To kill time? To chat with friends while they get an actual lobby set up? Achievements? Forcing teammates to the other team by doing the Narrows betrayal glitch?

I seriously question what the 300+ members of that team do. Are they all super busy? Like isn't it their damn job to keep the game up to date, rotate playlists, add content?

Nope. It's their job to make* a game and sell as many of them as possible. Once it's out the door it's onto the next one while doing the minimum amount of sustain as possible without killing the current game's community too quickly before the DLC drops. Which is right before the sequel that will hopefully make everyone forget the previous' fiasco and get everyone on that hope-hate treadmill again. Ranking coming soon! (Never)

*actually finishing building the game before selling it not required, as long as the community is made aware of an ethereal fix-all patch that will most certainly improve things at some point in the future. Possibly. In the biz, that's called "vaporware". It's super important. And it's coming. Soon (TM).

MysteryM

H2A is the only playlist that is ranked, so unless you want to play in non ranked team slayer games with quitters or new players the only choice is the H2A playlist. That's why I play it and that's why I always vote slayer (I can't stand objective games).

What actually needs to happen is that the ranked H2A slayer should be a separate playlist.

Glass

Just had an evenly matched One Bomb H2A BTB and everyone on my team quit before half yhe the rounds were over. For me, people quitting is now a bigger issue then lousy connections or uneven teams etc.

Just had an evenly matched One Bomb H2A BTB and everyone on my team quit before half yhe the rounds were over. For me, people quitting is now a bigger issue then lousy connections or uneven teams etc.
Same, it happens in every single game. This generation has been spoiled by join session in progress games.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
For fun? To kill time? To chat with friends while they get an actual lobby set up? Achievements? Forcing teammates to the other team by doing the Narrows betrayal glitch?

Playing peggle on my tablet is a casual for "fun" game, but even then, when I play Peggle, I'm still trying to "win" the game by using the least amount of balls possible.

Humans by nature are competitive people, and if you grew up playing sports, your competitiveness is probably going to be stronger than most non-sports playing people.

I'm like Ram, when I get on to play Halo, it's to compete online via matchmaking against players of similar skill or more...when that doesn't work, the game isn't fun anymore. Competitive player vs player isn't something to just dick around in...not saying you can't do that, but for most competitive people, that's boring as hell and I'd rather go do something else.

When I play Diablo 3 and do rift runs with randoms online...that's what I would call casual gaming, there isn't a pvp going on, and there isn't some time limit (unless you're doing greater rifts), so depending on your group, you can pace yourself through a rift, or you can try to clear it as fast as you can and move on to the next. Either way, I don't really know of anyone that just gets on Diablo and sits in their chair mindlessly clicking away because of boredom or whatever.

Halo has been plagued with a casual mindset for so long and for some reason, the moment someone mentions competitive play...out come all the torches and pitchforks, "HEY GUYS WE GOT A ESPORTS UBER PRO WANNA BE HERE, LETS SET HIM STRAIGHT, WE DONT WANT THAT COMPETITIVE PLAY BS IN OUR HALO! LEAVE OUR HALO ALONE!!"

I'm not trying to single you out Subzero but your reply to Ram is typical...it's been that way since the dawn of Bnet forums...every time someone wanted to offer a suggestion to make Halo more competitive...out come the typical replies of, "can't you just play Halo for fun?"

What's fun for you isn't fun for me, and likewise what's fun for me probably isn't fun for you judging by your reply. Moreover, 343 needs to seriously tune the matchmaking for MCC and make ranked playlists and unranked playlists so those who want to just dick around in Halo can stay in the unranked while us competitive players can be happy with our ranked playlists. Each side gets their share of the pot.

Have any of you ever heard of Fun Fair Positive Soccer? FFPS. http://www.ffps.org/

Worse thing to ever be created for youth sports. Teaching kids that everyone is a winner and everyone gets a trophy. No scores are kept during the games. It's coed (which I'm fine with, girls and boys need to learn to play together) and everyone gets equal playing time.

Every time I see some forum poster mention casual or "play for fun", I always think of that disgusting youth soccer league.

Sorry for the novel of a reply Subzero...and seriously, I mean no qualms. Its just your reply to Ram got me going lol.

Playing peggle on my tablet is a casual for "fun" game, but even then, when I play Peggle, I'm still trying to "win" the game by using the least amount of balls possible.

Humans by nature are competitive people, and if you grew up playing sports, your competitiveness is probably going to be stronger than most non-sports playing people.

I'm like Ram, when I get on to play Halo, it's to compete online via matchmaking against players of similar skill or more...when that doesn't work, the game isn't fun anymore. Competitive player vs player isn't something to just dick around in...not saying you can't do that, but for most competitive people, that's boring as hell and I'd rather go do something else.

When I play Diablo 3 and do rift runs with randoms online...that's what I would call casual gaming, there isn't a pvp going on, and there isn't some time limit (unless you're doing greater rifts), so depending on your group, you can pace yourself through a rift, or you can try to clear it as fast as you can and move on to the next. Either way, I don't really know of anyone that just gets on Diablo and sits in their chair mindlessly clicking away because of boredom or whatever.

Halo has been plagued with a casual mindset for so long and for some reason, the moment someone mentions competitive play...out come all the torches and pitchforks, "HEY GUYS WE GOT A ESPORTS UBER PRO WANNA BE HERE, LETS SET HIM STRAIGHT, WE DONT WANT THAT COMPETITIVE PLAY BS IN OUR HALO! LEAVE OUR HALO ALONE!!"

I'm not trying to single you out Subzero but your reply to Ram is typical...it's been that way since the dawn of Bnet forums...every time someone wanted to offer a suggestion to make Halo more competitive...out come the typical replies of, "can't you just play Halo for fun?"

What's fun for you isn't fun for me, and likewise what's fun for me probably isn't fun for you judging by your reply. Moreover, 343 needs to seriously tune the matchmaking for MCC and make ranked playlists and unranked playlists so those who want to just dick around in Halo can stay in the unranked while us competitive players can be happy with our ranked playlists. Each side gets their share of the pot.

Have any of you ever heard of Fun Fair Positive Soccer? FFPS. http://www.ffps.org/

Worse thing to ever be created for youth sports. Teaching kids that everyone is a winner and everyone gets a trophy. No scores are kept during the games. It's coed (which I'm fine with, girls and boys need to learn to play together) and everyone gets equal playing time.

Every time I see some forum poster mention casual or "play for fun", I always think of that disgusting youth soccer league.

Sorry for the novel of a reply Subzero...and seriously, I mean no qualms. Its just your reply to Ram got me going lol.

Eh, I mean the big thing for me is that I like casual play in a highly competitive sandbox, which is why I'm an advocate for equal starts, no sprint and no ADS on scoped weapons but still end up negbombing every match. I definitely prefer high skill curves I can tackle in addition to concepts like map control and teamwork, but at the same time I'm not going to yell at someone for dying with the flag two feet from the capture plate or snap my controller in half if we get Phantom Pistols on Coldsnap. I just can't take it seriously because, well, it's a video game. I can appreciate every ounce of love put in and content churned out but at the end of the day I've got bigger shit to do than shove my viewpoint down 343's throats because H5G features ambient occlusion.

Fuchsdh

keep trying to tell people this, if obj had BR starts it'd be picked more often.

people would rather play slayer over and over and spawn with a BR than play ball or flag with AR/SMG starts, and i cant really blame them. Flag with SMG starts blows when the other guys have snipes and BR

It has little to nothing to do with weapon starts and everything to do with a huge portion of the playerbase simply hates objective. This has been going on since literally the first days of Halo on Xbox Live.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Eh, I mean the big thing for me is that I like casual play in a highly competitive sandbox, which is why I'm an advocate for equal starts, no sprint and no ADS on scoped weapons but still end up negbombing every match. I definitely prefer high skill curves I can tackle in addition to concepts like map control and teamwork, but at the same time I'm not going to yell at someone for dying with the flag two feet from the capture plate or snap my controller in half if we get Phantom Pistols on Coldsnap. I just can't take it seriously because, well, it's a video game. I can appreciate every ounce of love put in and content churned out but at the end of the day I've got bigger shit to do than shove my viewpoint down 343's throats because H5G features ambient occlusion.

People who yell at people online are just plain dumb. It is a video game at the end of the day, but it's also a sport for some people. I can't really play competitive ice hockey anymore...getting old and there isn't any real good adult rec hockey where I live, so my competitive needs are through video games, specifically player v player shooters like Quake and Halo.

Halo is tough to get a solid competitive experience out of because it all comes down to what the starting weapons are. When it's SMG starts or AR starts...the game just becomes a race to precision weapons and see how long you can hold them for, lame.

I find it odd that people get so nervous and scared when discussing competitive Halo. It's like they think it's some alien-form of gaming and that if the designers design the game from the ground up for esports, that they won't be able to enjoy the game at any level...which is absolutely not true.

Street Fighter, StarCraft, etc, they all share the same design principles. They were designed for high level competitive play where the highest forms of those games are still practically impossible to master (like Chess), yet the entry level into the game can still be enjoyed (casually) by those not seeking to learn the high levels of play. But for those highly skilled players, there are layers upon layers to peel back and discover. That's what makes those games so great and never boring.

Halo should take the same path. Halo 5 does look like it's trying to do that but I'm not 100% sold yet. The starting weapons will highly dictate whether 343 is serious about Halo being a contender amongst the esports scene.

I have a friend who used to play Halo with me back in the Halo 2 days and while we usually lanned pvp with friends, I used to ask him to come on Xbox Live and split screen with me in matchmaking...he played one match and got so frustrated that he didn't win or that he couldn't get kills or kept getting killed...he put the controller down and walked away. He was so stressed and said, he can't play competitive games, it makes his heart race, which is why he prefers casual games.

I'm glad I'm not like that.

Everyone plays to win, but not every shooter was designed with a competitive focus.

If that makes sense.

How do you play to win a game if it's not designed to be competitive?

Everyone plays to win, but not every shooter was designed with a competitive focus.

If that makes sense.

Yeah. There's a difference, IMO, between playing to win, and playing to win. Anything can become competitive, but not everything is made to be played to a competitive standard.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yeah. There's a difference, IMO, between playing to win, and playing to win. Anything can become competitive, but not everything is made to be played to a competitive standard.

Can you give an example of this? Are you talking non-player vs player games?

I think Mario Bros could fit into what I bolded that you said. While I doubt that Mario Bros was created to be played to a competitive standard, people over time figured out there was a competition for speed runs on that game.

Even older arcade classics like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Galaga, were designed to be games that tested a player's skill to achieve the highest possible score. Arcade competitions popped up as a result of this because gamers wanted to see who was the best at those games, it became a competitive pvp game so to speak.

When I play Pac-Man, I have zero desire to memorize/analyze the maps of Pac-man...though the competitive scene for Pac-man plays the game entirely different from how I do...ironically, no settings need to be adjusted for either me or them to achieve their "fun" in the game ;)

uwdanman

Neo Member
Nope. It's their job to make* a game and sell as many of them as possible. Once it's out the door it's onto the next one while doing the minimum amount of sustain as possible without killing the current game's community too quickly before the DLC drops. Which is right before the sequel that will hopefully make everyone forget the previous' fiasco and get everyone on that hope-hate treadmill again. Ranking coming soon! (Never)

*actually finishing building the game before selling it not required, as long as the community is made aware of an ethereal fix-all patch that will most certainly improve things at some point in the future. Possibly. In the biz, that's called "vaporware". It's super important. And it's coming. Soon (TM).

As a fan of the series this stings with truth for how I and many I know feel.

Computer

I'm still holding out hope they'll have toned that down by launch. Didn't the notes say something like that?

The bloom lighting hurt my eyes. Halo 5 was the first game that I could barley look at for long period of time. I don't know how devs don't see that it looks bad without the masses saying it looks like ass. The game really looked bad on video and live streams. Not what you want if you are going for esports.

RBK

Banned
Battlefield really isn't a competitive shooter, neither is Destiny or Titanfall.

Sure there's two teams "competing", but if there's no option for standardized rules and weapons across the board, how can it be a "competitive" shooter?

EDIT: Never played private TF matches so I'm ignorant to that much.

Can you give an example of this? Are you talking non-player vs player games?

Well, Battlefront II comes to mind :p You can certainly play it to win, but past a certain point the outcome is out of your hands.

I suppose that when I say that it's not made to be played to a competitive standard, I mean that while you can play it competitively, it's not really built for it.

The bloom lighting hurt my eyes. Halo 5 was the first game that I could barley look at for long period of time. I don't know how devs don't see that it looks bad without the masses saying it looks like ass. The game really looked bad on video and live streams. Not what you want if you are going for esports.

Prophet's Bane notwithstanding, it never really got that bad for me. It wasn't good, mind you, but it never hurt to look at. So YMMV.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Battlefield really isn't a competitive shooter, neither is Destiny or Titanfall.

Sure there's two teams "competing", but if there's no option for standardized rules and weapons across the board, how can it be a "competitive" shooter?

EDIT: Never played private TF matches so I'm ignorant to that much.

Battlefield is most certainly a competitive pvp shooter. They use the game in euro esports, BF4 PC is running 5v5 Obliteration tournaments I believe.

Back when I played BF2 PC In online leagues, we used a map pool voted on by the community and then made rules that could be configured in servers, but the base game itself was the same as vanilla servers, only the league didn't allow expansion packs or unlocks, so the starting weapons for each kit (assault, medic, sniper, engineer, etc.) were all you could use.

Player vs player is competitive by logic, you're pitting two people against one another to win a game, there will be a winner and a loser, that's competition.

Halo does this, Titanfall does it, Battlefield does it, basically any pvp shooter does this, winners/losers.

To go further, when we ask "is this game competitive?" well by definition it is, there's a winner and a loser. There's a competition taking place within a single match.

Now, is this game competitively balanced? That's the ultimate question. Is Halo SMG starts competitively balanced? Hell no.

It has little to nothing to do with weapon starts and everything to do with a huge portion of the playerbase simply hates objective. This has been going on since literally the first days of Halo on Xbox Live.

I, and everybody I play with, steadfastly refuse to vote for the third slot in the Halo 3 playlist, which is always the objective slot. It is not because we dislike objective gametypes; in fact we prefer them. We'd very much like to vote for CTF on The Pit when it appears in the third slot or KOTH on Guardian when it appears in the third slot or Oddball on Heretic when it appears in the third slot or One Flag CTF on High Ground when it appears in the third slot. But we never do. We always vote for Slayer, providing it is paired with a BR start. Slayer is the only gametype in H3 (perhaps in H2C too?) that has the option of a BR start.

I don't think it is true to say that a huge portion of the playerbase 'hates' objective gametypes, rather, the majority of players prefer to play Slayer. Because it is their preference, gametypes other than Slayer in a playlist that features Slayer tend to be voted for less. Still, there is a not-insignificant amount of Halo players, particularly in a legacy Halo game like the MCC, that either like objective gametypes more than Slayer or value them equally. The obvious solution to this is to separate Slayer and Objective gametypes in to their own lists and this is apparently 'in the works'. However, were this mooted objective playlist to be SMG/AR start only, it would be guaranteed to be dead on arrival.

AR starts simply do not work in Objective gametypes for a variety of reasons and this is something even the progenitors of this franchise (AR enthusiasts that bungie were) recognised. Weapon starts don't explain why a mixed playlist will always have Slayer predominantly voted for but they DO explain why even those who do like Objective DON'T vote for it.

Top Bottom