• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Fuchsdh

I, and everybody I play with, steadfastly refuse to vote for the third slot in the Halo 3 playlist, which is always the objective slot. It is not because we dislike objective gametypes; in fact we prefer them. We'd very much like to vote for CTF on The Pit when it appears in the third slot or KOTH on Guardian when it appears in the third slot or Oddball on Heretic when it appears in the third slot or One Flag CTF on High Ground when it appears in the third slot. But we never do. We always vote for Slayer, providing it is paired with a BR start. Slayer is the only gametype in H3 (perhaps in H2C too?) that has the option of a BR start.

I don't think it is true to say that a huge portion of the playerbase 'hates' objective gametypes, rather, the majority of players prefer to play Slayer. Because it is their preference, gametypes other than Slayer in a playlist that features Slayer tend to be voted for less. Still, there is a not-insignificant amount of Halo players, particularly in a legacy Halo game like the MCC, that either like objective gametypes more than Slayer or value them equally. The obvious solution to this is to separate Slayer and Objective gametypes in to their own lists and this is apparently 'in the works'. However, were this mooted objective playlist to be SMG/AR start only, it would be guaranteed to be dead on arrival.

AR starts simply do not work in Objective gametypes for a variety of reasons and this is something even the progenitors of this franchise (AR enthusiasts that bungie were) recognised. Weapon starts don't explain why a mixed playlist will always have Slayer predominantly voted for but they DO explain why even those who do like Objective DON'T vote for it.

Bungie said that player counts decreased whenever objective was added to a playlist, irrespective of how often it was actually voted for. So I would say that's evidence of disliking objective, above and beyond preferring Slayer.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's not that surprising that objective gametypes were never popular in Halo. The way they handled them made them look like nothing more than an afterthought. Exception to that is Invasion which Bungie put a lot of effort into and actually turned out to be quite popular.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Objective games as a random playing with randoms and no communication taking place is boring as hell. Even if the weapon starts are BR starts in the old Halo games, still doesn't make CTF fun at all.

Even HCE objective sucks with people who have zero sense in how to play the game, and it's got pistol starts. I always vote for slayer in HCE.

Bring back flagstravaganza.

Scratch that. Just release a customs browser for MCC and call it a day. No one cares about the poorly catered and broken MM experience at this point and frankly the management of the playlists, maps and game types has been embarrassing at best. Gonna update Reach yet?

jem0208

Objective games as a random playing with randoms and no communication taking place is boring as hell. Even if the weapon starts are BR starts in the old Halo games, still doesn't make CTF fun at all.

Even HCE objective sucks with people who have zero sense in how to play the game, and it's got pistol starts. I always vote for slayer in HCE.

I really enjoy CTF if it's possible to cap the flag without needing your team. I really like running the flag and defending. It's far more exciting than standard slayer.

A game called Shootmania has (IMO) absolutely fantastic CTF. It's extremely simple, but very fun. You retain all your abilities when holding the flag, so there is no disadvantage to the flag carrier. This makes both flag running and defending much more exciting and far more fast paced. The levels and movement system are also designed in such a way that makes it possible to grab and run the flag entirely on your own, provided you're skilled enough. The game also has a very high skill ceiling so it's extremely rewarding to cap a flag on your own.

Halo's CTF relies heavily on team work. Which whilst not a negative, does make it pretty poor in solo matchmaking. I really hope CTF in 5 allows you to retain your abilities when carrying the flag, or at least has it as an option. It's far better for solo matchmaking.

Is this a joke or are you being serious? Halo 4 LAUNCHED with:

Infinity Slayer
TS Pro
Big Team Infinity Slayer
Dominion
Regicide (FFA)
Flood
CTF
Oddball
KOTH

Each objective gametype was given its own playlist. Only thing really missing is Swat which was added the next week. Doubles, snipers, etc. were added in weekly/biweekly rotations.

Shhh, we don't say positive things about Halo 4 here...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I really enjoy CTF if it's possible to cap the flag without needing your team. I really like running the flag and defending. It's far more exciting than standard slayer.

A game called Shootmania has (IMO) absolutely fantastic CTF. It's extremely simple, but very fun. You retain all your abilities when holding the flag, so there is no disadvantage to the flag carrier. This makes both flag running and defending much more exciting and far more fast paced. The levels and movement system are also designed in such a way that makes it possible to grab and run the flag entirely on your own, provided you're skilled enough. The game also has a very high skill ceiling so it's extremely rewarding to cap a flag on your own.

Halo's CTF relies heavily on team work. Which whilst not a negative, does make it pretty poor in solo matchmaking. I really hope CTF in 5 allows you to retain your abilities when carrying the flag, or at least has it as an option. It's far better for solo matchmaking.

I think that's why objective playlists get played the least in Halo, they require more teamwork/coordination than slayer. The starting weapons need to also be solid.

singhr1

It took them 2 years to add an objective playlist to Halo 4.

343 have shit playlist management.

Infinity Slayer
TS Pro
Big Team Infinity Slayer
Dominion
Regicide (FFA)
Flood
CTF
Oddball
KOTH

Each objective gametype was given its own playlist. Only thing really missing is Swat which was added the next week. Doubles, snipers, etc. were added in weekly/biweekly rotations.

Welfare

Infinity Slayer
TS Pro
Big Team Infinity Slayer
Dominion
Regicide (FFA)
Flood
CTF
Oddball
KOTH

Guess what? That split up the population thinner than it should've. A dedicated objective playlist is better.

Also CTF was the most popular of the bunch, and the rest (besides Flood) were removed and put in different playlists soon after launch.

Mine01

Man the idea of a remade guardian made me pretty hyped for halo 5, now ill be dissapointed if it isnt there :(, thank you haloGaf.

Guess what? That split up the population thinner than it should've. A dedicated objective playlist is better.

Also CTF was the most popular of the bunch, and the rest (besides Flood) were removed and put in different playlists soon after launch.

Eh. I know that splitting the population is a problem, but having them all lumped into one playlist isn't great either. Sometimes I just want to play some CTF. Halo 4 took it too far, but I do think the more popular flavors of objective should get their own playlist.

Personally i loved the playlist only format, guaranteed switch up

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. I know that splitting the population is a problem, but having them all lumped into one playlist isn't great either. Sometimes I just want to play some CTF. Halo 4 took it too far, but I do think the more popular flavors of objective should get their own playlist.
Ya know what would be a cool solution? A custom games browser.
I'm gonna keep on proselytizing till it's actually in the game, lol.

Havok

Personally i loved the playlist only format, guaranteed switch up
In an ideal world with a functionally infinite player population, sure.

We don't live in that world. Oddball cannot sustain a playlist on its own. King of the Hill cannot sustain a playlist on its own. Extraction cannot sustain a playlist on its own. Territories cannot sustain a playlist on its own. If Halo 4 had an Assault variant, neither it or CTF would have been able to carry a playlist on their own as the two audiences would be split between the "big" capture/defend variants instead of consolidating into solely CTF. We have very real behavioral evidence that shows what gametypes people flock to when they're segregated out like they were.

An unfortunate reality is that grab bag playlists are necessary for smaller, less popular gametypes to survive. That doesn't mean they need to be highly weighted or show up on every voting screen, but they're good changes of pace that serve a function in the third voting slot. The other option is that those gametypes are effectively removed from the game by being unavailable (either systemically removed from the playlist options, or functionally by virtue of low population) in matchmaking.

A more acceptable solution might be a Capture and Hold playlist that contains Territories, KOTH, Oddball, and Extraction alongside a Capture and Defend playlist with CTF and Assault, but I'm not convinced the former, a playlist comprised entirely of filler, would survive even then. The idea of having a more reliable way to switch up a playlist experience is more or less exactly what forcing voting slots to be filled with specific gametypes is for. It's not perfect, but it's a better solution than those gametypes being more or less extinct.

jelly

I think the only saviour of objective games is a dedicated playlist so people won't vote against them and evolve objective games into rush/invasion. Halo 5 needs a server list for BTB, matchmaking needs kicked to the curb in favour of active games rotating maps etc. or at least an option.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
So you would force everyone to conform to your severely changed version so you can have it your way? Blech.

Is this sarcasm or real?

I can't imagine anyone playing a pvp game of Halo whether it be slayer, CTF, or something that has a winner and loser, and they just simply run around aimlessly not caring about the outcome of the match.

Talk about a waste of time...

I can understand not caring if you win or lose, but during the match...actually not "trying" to win doesn't make any sense to me.

Karl2177

Is this sarcasm or real?

I can't imagine anyone playing a pvp game of Halo whether it be slayer, CTF, or something that has a winner and loser, and they just simply run around aimlessly not caring about the outcome of the match.

I can understand not caring if you win or lose, but during the match...actually not "trying" to win doesn't make any sense to me.

That conversation wasn't based on Halo, champ.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
That conversation wasn't based on Halo, champ.

He said he plays to win...and that's how he has fun.

How's what I replied to you with not about that?

EDIT:

Went back to read the context between the two of you...you told him playing Battlefront competitively is doing it wrong...

I disagree.

jem0208

Is this sarcasm or real?

I generally play pretty competitively. However on occassion I do quite enjoy playing only sticks and snipes...

Only kills which I'm allowed to purposefully do are stickies or no scope snipes.

Halo isn't all about playing to win.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I generally play pretty competitively. However on occassion I do quite enjoy playing only sticks and snipes...

Only kills which I'm allowed to purposefully do are stickies or no scope snipes.

Halo isn't all about playing to win.

You do that in regular matchmaking?

Damn you....

That's no diff than the people who go into games intentionally to TK people. Way to ruin the environment.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Well, you're talking about Halo, and everybody else is talking about Battlefront/field.

Because this is HaloGAF, and what else would we talk about?

And I was talking about all pvp gaming/shooters...in my context to him.

Dammit, do I need to be more literal than I already am?

I guess I'll start s-p-e-l-l-I-n-g e-v-e-r-y-t-h-I-n-g-o-u-t.

GAF never ceases to provide me entertainment during my lunch hour. Now to proceed to pressing F5 repeatedly. :)

jem0208

You do that in regular matchmaking?

Damn you....

That's no diff than the people who go into games intentionally to TK people. Way to ruin the environment.
I don't do it in ranked playlists. The environment is hardly very competitive. Regardless, I'm generally near the top anyway.

I only really do this in games where the enemy team suck and I know we're going to destroy them. It's a bit boring just mindlessly killing rubbish players.

And I was talking about all pvp gaming/shooters...in my context to him.

Dammit, do I need to be more literal than I already am?

I guess I'll start s-p-e-l-l-I-n-g e-v-e-r-y-t-h-I-n-g-o-u-t.

GAF never ceases to provide me entertainment during my lunch hour. Now to proceed to pressing F5 repeatedly. :)

Be sure to type slowly, because it was too fast to read the first time /ducks

Mistel

Banned
I only really do this in games where the enemy team suck and I know we're going to destroy them. It's a bit boring just mindlessly killing rubbish players.
There's not really much harm in doing it if the opposing randoms are that bad already, you might as well have a bit of fun.

Mine01

Seeing all of the "man, I hated this, then I started winning matches so now I love it" posts from the beta was pretty hilarious.

Well i wouldnt say i hated the beta, i liked it pretty much since i started using trusters, but yea some people hate games when they dont win or arent good at them*.

*Not saying it's anyone case here.

Computer

Seeing all of the "man, I hated this, then I started winning matches so now I love it" posts from the beta was pretty hilarious.

I had the same reaction in the beta. I hated it when I was losing. I learned that it was because I was playing alone. As soon as I gathered a good team together and was communicating the game was amazing to play. The most fun I had in Halo since 07. The last night of the beta we kept saying we would get off when we loose a game. We played till 3 am and could not loose a game. It was a good night of Halo and the last time I have had fun playing Halo.

I don't mind loosing the intense 49-49 games. They are way to fun to be mad. It happened often in Halo 5.

daedalius

I think everybody has more fun when winning than losing.

I'd prefer a good, close game rather than a stomp win, or a loss. Winning a close game is the best.

Unfortunately with how common quitting has become once a team gets on a bad footing, it rarely happens.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Ironically, Kotaku has a great article on a recent Quake Live tournament played against players who are NOT quake live pros...very, very interesting read.

http://kotaku.com/a-quake-tournament-where-nobody-knew-how-to-play-quake-1687605373

Just goes to show you that a game built from the ground up for high level play can be enjoyed by anyone. It's all about who is playing who...in other words, your game MUST have a skill-based matchmaking system in place, otherwise it will not work.

StarCraft II does a great job of this. I'm in bronze league, and I totally suck at SC2, but my opponents are mostly other bronze players, with the occasional silver player once in a while depending on if I have a winning streak or not.

Just a quick one I remembered from the other day:

When playing as a guest, you can't check your own medals in the post game stats even though you can check other guests medals.

Ramirez

So you would force everyone to conform to your severely changed version so you can have it your way? Blech.

Uh, considering SW is probably my favorite franchise, yea, I would love to have a competitive SW MP game.

The only reason the other games weren't is because the devs weren't capable of it, DICE is capable of it, so why would I want an inferior product to appease nostalgia of people who liked a bad game? Heh

I had the same reaction in the beta. I hated it when I was losing. I learned that it was because I was playing alone. As soon as I gathered a good team together and was communicating the game was amazing to play. The most fun I had in Halo since 07. The last night of the beta we kept saying we would get off when we loose a game. We played till 3 am and could not loose a game. It was a good night of Halo and the last time I have had fun playing Halo.

I don't mind loosing the intense 49-49 games. They are way to fun to be mad. It happened often in Halo 5.

I liked it better before people started partying up and team nading :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Uh, considering SW is probably my favorite franchise, yea, I would love to have a competitive SW MP game.

The only reason the other games weren't is because the devs weren't capable of it, DICE is capable of it, so why would I want an inferior product to appease nostalgia of people who liked a bad game? Heh

I really can't wait for SWBF. The leaked details sound hype as hell. They had better not MCC it.

If it has space battles... Battlefront is amazing so finally seeing it again after skipping last gen is going to be amazing.

This is all I ask. Space battles were easily my favorite part; they don't even have to do that integrated land/orbital battles the canceled game was doing. As long as I can do boarding actions, I will be happy.

Madness

Eh. I think the new system will work out.

It makes no sense to me that Gold 3 and Onyx 1 which are similar in rank/skill are divided and yet Gold 3 and Gold 1 share the same logo and yet there is a wider gulf in skill between those.

The fact that your exact rank isn't displayed either unless you go into a person's service record just shows they aren't willing to fully commit to the point of rankings. They still think it's about "e-peen" as opposed to information. I want to know right away that this person is an Onyx 3, not just see he's in Onyx, which could make him anywhere from 40-45 in skill or whatever.

It makes no sense to me that Gold 3 and Onyx 1 which are similar in rank/skill are divided and yet Gold 3 and Gold 1 share the same logo and yet there is a wider gulf in skill between those.

The fact that your exact rank isn't displayed either unless you go into a person's service record just shows they aren't willing to fully commit to the point of rankings. They still think it's about "e-peen" as opposed to information. I want to know right away that this person is an Onyx 3, not just see he's in Onyx, which could make him anywhere from 40-45 in skill or whatever.

we saw a pro once....didn't' stick around in the lobby to see what happened though, was still searching for that fabled last player

Top Bottom