• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Ominym

Banned
"Things are looking great with significant improvement, we are working around the clock as its a very complicated process. We should have a more definitive timeline for the patch in the coming weeks"

My prediction
If I'm not mistaken I thought they said a date would be given this week. But I could be pulling that out of my ass.

Nowise10

Why have ranks if you're not going to match people up appropriately....or with even teams.

Wed_Feb_25_15-48-14_CST_2015.png

The pregame lobby would look so much better and less of a mess if the player cards were all designated to the team color. Not sure if its a bug or a feature to be honest at this point.

Ramirez

The pregame lobby would look so much better and less of a mess if the player cards were all designated to the team color. Not sure if its a bug or a feature to be honest at this point.

It's a feature, you pick your name plate. Your team color is the little tab to the left.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I really want to play halo but I really don't want to play halo

that is to say, I know that halo is what I want to play but I simply cannot allow myself the pain

Impala26

that is to say, I know that halo is what I want to play but I simply cannot allow myself the pain

Story of my life since the Halo 5 Beta ended...

FFS, you can't even fall back on customs to work. I've been jonesing for Clique's MCC Throwdown for weeks, but I can understand why he doesn't want to bother setting them up anymore because of how shoddy the networking/coding is.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I feel ya. I want to buy another copy of MCC, but I know it'll just annoy the hell out of me until it's functional.

singhr1

Bravo updates the community that he is waiting on an update in regard to an ETA of the update.

To be fair, he was just responding to a fan. He responds to multiple fans everyday and all he can say is the same thing. Every day it's, "thanks, sent your issue to the team" and "i dont have a date yet, team is working hard to resolve issues"

Booshka

To be fair, he was just responding to a fan. He responds to multiple fans everyday and all he can say is the same thing. Every day it's, "thanks, sent your issue to the team" and "i dont have a date yet, team is working hard to resolve issues"

I know, I'm not making fun of Bravo, that's his job, just making fun of the whole clusterfuck of a situation.

I was half joking a few months back when I said 343 was the worst developer.

Sure they can make a good looking game but they have no idea what game they have, no sense of PR (up there with the worst of the worst) and continue to dissapoint.

Wasn't feeling Halo tonight (or anything else really. Thanks 343/Obama), so I went ahead and made a couple of Grand Pearl Pooh Bahs instead. I forgot how incredibly soothing playing Hexic HD can be once you get the master grid built and functioning. So beautiful. If you haven't done it at least once in your life, you need to.

That's all. Thanks for listening.

#Haloisdad
#Hexicisyourhotneighbor
#fuckhashtags

Hexic is fookin legit! So relaxing, so soothing.
Story of my life since the Halo 5 Beta ended...

FFS, you can't even fall back on customs to work. I've been jonesing for Clique's MCC Throwdown for weeks, but I can understand why he doesn't want to bother setting them up anymore because of how shoddy the networking/coding is.
It hurts.. I want to host some Custom Games for CE with HaloGAF but nnnnnope.

willow ve

Wasn't feeling Halo tonight (or anything else really. Thanks 343/Obama), so I went ahead and made a couple of Grand Pearl Pooh Bahs instead. I forgot how incredibly soothing playing Hexic HD can be once you get the master grid built and functioning. So beautiful. If you haven't done it at least once in your life, you need to.

That's all. Thanks for listening.

#Haloisdad
#Hexicisyourhotneighbor
#fuckhashtags

Hexic is a great game. One of the best XBLA titles I've ever played. Simple premise, complex strategy. Wish new Halo followed that design guideline.

dwells

Shame that H2 netcode is still ass.
This might be one of the biggest atrocities, especially seeing as Halo 2 is supposedly the game that's being "honored" for its ten year anniversary. The netcode is so bad that it's unplayable for competitive games, even on small maps.

I might have been willing to put up with all the other crap and run some MLG CTF Classic 5 customs, but there's no point due to how bad the netcode is.

Fuchsdh

Not to rain on anyones parade or state the obvious but this to me means they are NOT on time with this update and theres no way its making feb like they said it would.

Is there a running list of things 343 said they would do that they never made good on?

Where did they actually say an update would come out in February?

Not to rain on anyones parade or state the obvious but this to me means they are NOT on time with this update and theres no way its making feb like they said it would.

Is there a running list of things 343 said they would do that they never made good on?

Just read the Bulletins in chronological order

Where did they actually say an update would come out in February?

1.31 community update
Fundamental changes to these systems will improve the overall experience while also allowing us to address additional issues such as title-specific hit registration, matchmaking ranking, and beyond. As this update contains the biggest changes to the Matchmaking system yet, we’ve identified that additional time and testing is required, and we are currently evaluating both timing and need for a CU beta with the Xbox One Preview program, as well as the final public release date in February. We’ll continue to provide the latest updates here on Waypoint.

The last patch was the 19th of jan I believe. Thats a whole calendar month possibly going by and 343 releases nothing.

Great work over there fellas.

Impala26

1.31 community update

The last patch was the 19th of jan I believe. Thats a whole calendar month possibly going by and 343 releases nothing.

Great work over there fellas.

They're allowed to take longer than they initially estimated--even as a pretty entry level civil engineer I have enough experience to say that with big projects it's almost more common for engineering/tech companies to take LONGER than initial deadlines.

The issue here compared to real-world examples I've seen is that 343 is not communicating any real sort of timeline here. Give us an ETA but release a disclaimer that says something along the lines of "Please note that this is an ESTIMATE and not a hard deadline. Given variability in the testing environment, the final release might not be ready until after the established ETA."

This isn't hard guys, it's really not, and it's beginning to verge on PR disaster. I know they're probably worried about posting an ETA and if they don't make that they'll incur fan backlash--well guess what, that's already happening ANYWAY, so why be sheepish about it any longer?

Glass

I'm hoping this speaks of how robust and thorough this new patch will be. As great as a release date would be to have, I just want to know what the word is on the patch - is it looking good? How's it shaping up? etc.

They're allowed to take longer than they initially estimated--even as a pretty entry level civil engineer I have enough experience to say that with big projects it's almost more common for engineering/tech companies to take LONGER than initial deadlines.

The issue here compared to real-world examples I've seen is that 343 is not communicating any real sort of timeline here. Give us an ETA but release a disclaimer that says something along the lines of "Please note that this is an ESTIMATE and not a hard deadline. Given variability in the testing environment, the final release might not be ready until after the established ETA."

This isn't hard guys, it's really not, and it's beginning to verge on PR disaster. I know they're probably worried about posting an ETA and if they don't make that they'll incur fan backlash--well guess what, that's already happening ANYWAY, so why be sheepish about it any longer?

The "initial estimate" was back in november when the game released. Theyve lost ANY benefit of the doubt. I know its unrealistic to assume its all going to be fixed with a snap, but youre right, its not about the fix its about the PR, and the complete lack of communication.

An entire month is about to go by with the game still broken and the best they can offer is "we continue to make progress". Progress on what? What are we even waiting for? Can we get some sort of estimate? SOMETHING? How bout some preliminary patch notes? Or just something beyond "matchmaking and parties". Is that seriously all thats there?

Bravo on twitter keeps saying he doesnt want to do a bulletin without "meaningful updates".

I dont think a single update theyve given the community for the entire month of february was meaningful.

At this point the actual bet should be "will it remain broken for longer than Battlefield 4 did?". Because you need to be really damn trying to break that record.

Oh hey! I found a Halo community thread on NeoGAF!

Good to find this here.

Please forgive me as I have no idea how many countless wars and debates have been started by HaloGAF, but I do hope to be a great new member. Growing up with Halo, it's awesome to see a lot of people here like myself. :)

Oh hey! I found a Halo community thread on NeoGAF!

Good to find this here.

Please forgive me as I have no idea how many countless wars and debates have been started by HaloGAF, but I do hope to be a great new member. Growing up with Halo, it's awesome to see a lot of people here like myself. :)

Welcome, new guy! Remember to pick a fight with somebody on the first day, or else nobody will respect you ever.

Impala26

At this point the actual bet should be "will it remain broken for longer than Battlefield 4 did?". Because you need to be really damn trying to break that record.

How long was that broken?

Hi Atomic Symphonic.

As someone who really hasn't played Battlefield, I'd like to ask the same question...

Was it just that matchmaking/networking issues were very slowly repaired or was it more along the lines of the MCC where initial patches did virtually nothing but one or more bigger ones came along later to properly repair?

Tawpgun

H2 netcode got worse as MCC went on.

I have no idea how the game was built, but it seems like its near impossible to fix something without breaking something else.

If they need the extra time to make sure it works, give it to them. I feel like a lot of gamers seem to think fixing bugs is a simple issue. Like over in the destiny thread there were still people that were giving Bungie shit for not fixing the Heavy Ammo Glitch that's been in the game since launch despite Bungie being fairly transparent in saying something along the lines of "It's a complicated issue because it's tied to a bunch of other systems and fixing one thing could cause other issues" But they finally did manage to fix it.

I think 343 deserves the criticism they get because MCC was a colossal clusterfuck, but I think ripping on them for not fixing it as soon as you want it is misguided.

I was half joking a few months back when I said 343 was the worst developer.

Sure they can make a good looking game but they have no idea what game they have, no sense of PR (up there with the worst of the worst) and continue to dissapoint.

All kidding aside, they are pretty bad. Especially with essentially one IP. They continue to get caught in flat out lies and the things they promise are either also lies or they are too incompetent to deliver. The only reason MCC is getting rebuilt is because its Microsoft and they can keep throwing money at it. Who had to rebuild a game after launch when that is their only IP and it's a collection of other games?

Where is the accountability? Unless I am mistaken, nobody fell on a sword at 343 over this. I dont want to see the usual crew onstage for E3.

RowdyReverb

All kidding aside, they are pretty bad. Especially with essentially one IP. They continue to get caught in flat out lies and the things they promise are either also lies or they are too incompetent to deliver. The only reason MCC is getting rebuilt is because its Microsoft and they can keep throwing money at it. Who had to rebuild a game after launch when that is their only IP and it's a collection of other games?

Where is the accountability? Unless I am mistaken, nobody fell on a sword at 343 over this. I dont want to see the usual crew onstage for E3.
Accountability? Falling on a sword? Why do people want blood for this? The game was rushed out in time for the holidays and it was a Frankenstein monster built from the efforts of several different studios, both of which were outside of 343's control. Additionally, we've received apologies from the director, a free month of XBL, a free additional map, ODST for free, and an afaik unprecedented level of communication regarding the status and contents of content updates. They are working to make this right, what more do you want? What would getting somebody fired or scapegoating an employee accomplish? What would we gain?

willow ve

To be fair no one at 343 worked on MCC. It was all farmed out to other companies. Maybe in the future they'll just keep all the work in house.

Impala26

Accountability? Falling on a sword? Why do people want blood for this? The game was rushed out in time for the holidays and it was a Frankenstein monster built from the efforts of several different studios, both of which were outside of 343's control. Additionally, we've received apologies from the director, a free month of XBL, a free additional map, ODST for free, and an afaik unprecedented level of communication regarding the status and contents of content updates. They are working to make this right, what more do you want? What would getting somebody fired or scapegoating an employee accomplish? What would we gain?

dat internet retribution amirite?

Why do people keep repeating this when it's not true?

Mostly 'cause it pretty much is? There's 7 some-odd studios attached to this thing. 343 seems to have been coordinating or managing them (poorly, it would seem), but the development looks to have been done by other people.

I dont think there should be a scapegoat for this, but people should probably realistically lose their jobs over this. Not in an announcement way either, no one needs to know about it, they dont need to update their blog or something.

But, if im microsoft, im holding some meetings to find who is accountable and to replace some staff with people who make sure it doesnt happen again.

Accountability? Falling on a sword? Why do people want blood for this? The game was rushed out in time for the holidays and it was a Frankenstein monster built from the efforts of several different studios, both of which were outside of 343's control. Additionally, we've received apologies from the director, a free month of XBL, a free additional map, ODST for free, and an afaik unprecedented level of communication regarding the status and contents of content updates. They are working to make this right, what more do you want? What would getting somebody fired or scapegoating an employee accomplish? What would we gain?[/QUOTE

Really? Maybe you dont like the direction the franchise is headed. We are consumers and when this happens and people buy systems to play this game you don't think there should be some accountability. They hyped this game to the hills and this was when the Xbox One was still $500.

Maybe a change over there would net a studio that can put a decent fuckin Halo game.

dwells

The game was rushed out in time for the holidays and it was a Frankenstein monster built from the efforts of several different studios, both of which were outside of 343's control.
343 was involved in multiple capacities, not the least of which was management of the project. They've also been responsible for post-launch maintenance. They've failed spectacularly at all of those tasks.

Additionally, we've received apologies from the director
One impersonal, hollow, PR-speak letter months ago.

a free month of XBL
Market value of three dollars and of zero cost to 343 or Microsoft.

a free additional map
A map no one asked for that hasn't materialized yet in even screenshot form.

ODST for free
Again, no one has received this yet and there's been no word on its status. Let's not forget that the cutoff date is people who played before December 19th, screwing all the people who bought the game during the holidays or hadn't played their copies yet because they were waiting for it to get fixed. Oh, and all the people who have experienced this broken disaster over the past 70 days or so.

unprecedented level of communication regarding the status and contents of content updates
Constant incorrect statements as a result of miscommunication, lies, or incompetence. Communication limited to vague "updates" that give no solid information, have tried repeatedly to downplay the issue, assured people that things were coming "soon." An executive producer who has disappeared entirely so he wouldn't have to face the consumers. Communication has been a complete and utter disaster.

They are working to make this right
They're working to make the game remotely salvageable and functional over 100 days after launch and have failed at it so far. They're working to try to preserve their reputation a bit for the sake of Halo 5 sales.

what more do you want?
A recall and refund program; the standard for when a product is not functional and has been misrepresented. Returning some of the hundreds of millions of dollars fans feel cheated out of. A working product. Some sort of accountability. A genuine apology that shows transparency and honesty. A combination of all of the above.

Fuchsdh

343 was involved in multiple capacities, not the least of which was management of the project. They've also been responsible for post-launch maintenance. They've failed spectacularly at all of those tasks.

One impersonal, hollow, PR-speak letter months ago.

Market value of three dollars and of zero cost to 343 or Microsoft.

A map no one asked for that hasn't materialized yet in even screenshot form.

Again, no one has received this yet and there's been no word on its status. Let's not forget that the cutoff date is people who played before December 19th, screwing all the people who bought the game during the holidays or hadn't played their copies yet because they were waiting for it to get fixed. Oh, and all the people who have experienced this broken disaster over the past 70 days or so.

Constant incorrect statements as a result of miscommunication, lies, or incompetence. Communication limited to vague "updates" that give no solid information, have tried repeatedly to downplay the issue, assured people that things were coming "soon." An executive producer who has disappeared entirely so he wouldn't have to face the consumers. Communication has been a complete and utter disaster.

They're working to make the game remotely salvageable and functional over 100 days after launch and have failed at it so far. They're working to try to preserve their reputation a bit for the sake of Halo 5 sales.

A recall and refund program; the standard for when a product is not functional and has been misrepresented. Returning some of the hundreds of millions of dollars fans feel cheated out of. A working product. Some sort of accountability. A genuine apology that shows transparency and honesty. A combination of all of the above.

What to you is a genuine apology?

Top Bottom