• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Suggestions for Legendaries with supplementary powers:

Needle Rifle
- Gets buffed into the Reach Sniper as a powerful anti-materiel rifle, but still asplodes things. Loses auto-fire in favor of a charged shot that can home in on targets, especially aircraft. Seven needles will cause unshielded vehicles (looking at you, Mantis) to explode.

Supplementary Ability: Pink Mist.
- Supercombines leave behind a volatile, residual cloud of mist that spreads out a little ways before dissipating. If someone's unshielded and takes a bullet or melee attack within the cloud, it sparks the entire cloud of mist to ignite and cause heavy AOE damage.

Hard Sound Rifle
- Prototype ONI superweapon similar in function to a stealthier Railgun. Slight charge time gives way to a non-hitscan "projectile" with minimal bullet drop and minimal AOE damage; runs on a battery. Projectile is virtually invisible save for the muzzle flare and a slight contortion of the air it pushes away, meaning it can be used effectively in assassinations. AOE casualties not killed outright are briefly deafened.

Supplementary Ability: Hear, Hear, Commandeer.
- Shots completely ignore vehicles and will obliterate players in vehicles without scratching the vehicle itself.

The Helix
- Weirder end of the Promethean spectrum. Works kind of like a TitanFall "bullet absorber" thing, where you charge the weapon to absorb incoming fire. The difference is that it has no ammo of its own, but if you've got an enemy in your crosshairs, you'll actually steal the ammo out of their gun by dematerializing it and regenerating it into either electrical bolts (battery) or metal slugs (magazine). The charge can't be held forever similar to the Spartan Laser, so it'll automatically launch the payload after a given time. Can be extremely helpful with dismantling other weapons or campers.

Supplementary Ability: Share The Payload.
- If you've built up a "payload" of stolen ammo, you can press the Reload button to replenish ammo in your team's weapons provided they're within a certain radius. It's not a 1:1 transfer, but there'd probably be three levels of payload yields: doesn't break shields, breaks shields and kills outright. Size of the yield dictates size of the team-reload.

Fuchsdh

On that note, however, it's worth looking at StarCraft II today. There was a thread on Gaming side about how the game has lost a lot of fans and players from its release, and the dissatisfaction with the game. What I thought was interesting was how criticisms of the game are essentially the exact opposite of what many people make about Halo.

https://blog.destiny.gg/starcraft-2-legacy-into-the-void/
This establishes a very important, often-ignored link between the professional and casual gaming scene: more casual gamers means a healthier professional scene.

The other stuff goes into lack of support, which I think is a universal complaint with games and applicable to Halo or any other franchise.

It also makes me think that really the only way for a Halo multiplayer title to work on PC would for it to be a base game that persists like a Dota or LoL and tilt heavily to a F2P model.

RdN

No, I did not know.

Damn, I'm not 24/7 glued to Halo 5 development lol...my bad for not knowing...

But that's great news!

Josh already left 343?? That didn't last long...

He got a huge promotion from Activision. Impossible to pass on that opportunity.

Fuchsdh

They should give the government control over Halo 5's ranking system.

Next thing you know we'll be debating nuking the filthy CoD casuals to save us all.

Helmets, everywhere.

Pretty much. But with the way Dota, CS, LoL and other popular online games have gone, I don't think there's really much life left in the old business model. Maybe it's a much smaller upfront cost, rather than pure F2P, but the amount people are willing to pay has dropped dramatically on the PC side of things (hence why I understand where devs cling to consoles.)

Mistel

Banned
It also makes me think that really the only way for a Halo multiplayer title to work on PC would for it to be a base game that persists like a Dota or LoL and tilt heavily to a F2P model.
I remember a conversation a while back where it was multiplayer as its own separate entity to that of the campaigns. So you had F2P halo multiplayer which if I recall correctly was suggested instead of using map packs used cosmetics money to provide new maps, or something like that.

Tawpgun

343 and MS will probably need a lot longer to learn.....

Just include some of the staple/basic armors and emblems and such. And then charge for emblem packs, title packs, weapon skins, armor, maybe even voice packs for spartan chatter/steitzer. HUD colors. Visor colors.

Map packs are free. Everyone ends up having all the DLC. Everyone is happy, everyone at 343 buys a beach house, frankie retires and posts on GAF from Florida

Akai__

Just include some of the staple/basic armors and emblems and such. And then charge for emblem packs, title packs, weapon skins, armor, maybe even voice packs for spartan chatter/steitzer. HUD colors. Visor colors.

Map packs are free. Everyone ends up having all the DLC. Everyone is happy, everyone at 343 buys a beach house, frankie retires and posts on GAF from Florida

Works pretty good for the Counter Strike Global Offensive Team and for any other game out there. Don't know, why anyone would charge for Map DLC in 2015 and beyond. It's just splits the player base, especially if it's already split.

Impala26

#HireTawpgun

Leyasu

Banned

For sure. I ain't got a problem paying for armour, weapon skins etc, if the map packs remain free.

Glass

For sure. I ain't got a problem paying for armour, weapon skins etc, if the map packs remain free.

Indeed. And have a fraction of these sales go towards HCS prize funds to get some truly epic amounts of prize money. Nothing would bring in new competitive blood like a fresh title and lots of money at stake.

jelly

Works pretty good for the Counter Strike Global Offensive Team and for any other game out there. Don't know, why anyone would charge for Map DLC in 2015 and beyond. It's just splits the player base, especially if it's already split.

Yeah but MS suits can't see beyond the short term $$$. They'll think oh, 20% might buy a map pack or two, that's better than nothing, onto the next game. The latter is the real problem, how do they sell you a headline game every two years if multiplayer is a slow burner return of cosmetic DLC instead of quick return, high margin map DLC. Consumers won't invest enough if the multiplayer is short term and Microsoft are doubtful to give it any legs to promote a CS:GO, TF2 philosophy. They'll want a front loaded blockbuster, get what they get from dedicated players with map DLC and move on to the next title.

Perhaps both ways work for the bottom line but one is more favourable to certain types of gamers, has pros and cons in game design and longevity.

Impala26

Indeed. And have a fraction of these sales go towards HCS prize funds to get some truly epic amounts of prize money. Nothing would bring in new competitive blood like a fresh title and lots of money at stake.

*CRAZY THOUGHT INBOUND*

Obviously this wouldn't ever happen really...
But would Halo™/The Halo Brand™ greatly benefit by being Cross-Platform?

It's a thought I keep coming back to recently. We all saw how it drove Destiny's sales figures and recognition. And it seems like now more than ever that's the trend with console games these days. And many game series that were ubiquitous "console exclusives" are now and are soon to be available on multiple consoles--Resident Evil, Final Fantasy XV, Silent Hills, etc. I mean, what other FPS is console exclusive like Halo (or Killzone)? I guess I mean to say that this only really applies to Sony, as Nintendo is vastly First Party anymore.

Curious as to folks' thoughts on this. Would this be better to the health of the franchise specifically, Microsoft be damned?

jem0208

*CRAZY THOUGHT INBOUND*

It's a thought I keep coming back to recently. We all saw how it drove Destiny's sales figures and recognition. And it seems like now more than ever that's the trend with console games these days. And many game series that were ubiquitous "console exclusives" are now and are soon to be available on multiple consoles--Resident Evil, Final Fantasy XV, Silent Hills, etc. I mean, what other FPS is console exclusive like Halo (or Killzone)? I guess I mean to say that this only really applies to Sony, as Nintendo is vastly First Party anymore.

Curious as to folks' thoughts on this. Would this be better to the health of the franchise specifically, Microsoft be damned?

I don't know how well it would do without Microsoft's backing... That's a bit money pit which would disappear. Also focusing on multiple platforms would mean a worse game overall. Obviously the community would be larger however it would just be split across the different platforms so for individual platforms it would probably be smaller than just on the Xbox.

It's never going to happen anyway.

Welfare

*CRAZY THOUGHT INBOUND*

Halo is Microsoft's premier franchise. They will not make it available on other platforms.

And no, it won't make it better. Population would be split even further lmao

Tawpgun

Halo is Microsoft's premier franchise. They will not make it available on other platforms.

And no, it won't make it better. Population would be split even further lmao

This is both true and not true.

The destiny community feels huge. Tons of people playing all the time. Lots of socializing, finding raid groups. People finding cool new things, new strategies and sharing them. There's definitely a big community around it because its multiplat.

However, it feels almost TOO big. If you go to the gaf thread and ask if anyone wants to team up, you have to specify platform. Not everyone in the community will be able to play with you.

Halo being exclusive is kind of nice because no matter who you talk to in the Halo community, they will have an Xbox and be able to play with you. It sucked having friends that play Destiny on the PS4 when other friends are playing on the Xbone. We can still talk about the game together, but not play tofether

link1201

Works for me.

With Azure/Dedis multiplatform games could easily share matchmaking players and systems as one. Sony and Microsoft would never go for it. Windows PC and Xbox is potentially another story...

Why have ranks if you're not going to match people up appropriately....or with even teams.

Wed_Feb_25_15-48-14_CST_2015.png

Lol

Got no problem with people that like Halo 4, want to play its exclusive list or even vote for it in TS and BTB but it has no business being in Snipes. Team Snipers is fundamentally incompatible with Halo 4 because of flinch. I played hundreds of hours of the playlist in H3 and Reach and played it for about three matches in H4 because it was so annoying to be body shot whilst in scope and end up looking at the sky. Of course Halo 3 should be there in its place but 343.

Problem with the list right now is it's usually

H2C H4 HCE

In the voting. H2 is a nah because the netcode is busted, H4 is nope for the aforementioned reasons so HCE is the only one worth playing (or H2A when it appears).

HCE snipers is pretty amazing for those who haven't played it. A lot of fun, more so than the base game for me. Prisoner is perfect for crazy vertical shots and spawn traps.

Playlist should just be CE and H2A until H3 and the H2C netcode is fixed.

willow ve

Lol

Got no problem with people that like Halo 4, want to play its exclusive list or even vote for it in TS and BTB but it has no business being in Snipes. Team Snipers is fundamentally incompatible with Halo 4 because of flinch. I played hundreds of hours of the playlist in H3 and Reach and played it for about three matches in H4 because it was so annoying to be body shot whilst in scope and end up looking at the sky. Of course Halo 3 should be there in its place but 343.

Problem with the list right now is it's usually

H2C H4 HCE

In the voting. H2 is a nah because the netcode is busted, H4 is nope for the aforementioned reasons so HCE is the only one worth playing (or H2A when it appears).

HCE snipers is pretty amazing for those who haven't played it. A lot of fun, more so than the base game for me. Prisoner is perfect for crazy vertical shots and spawn traps.

Playlist should just be CE and H2A until H3 and the H2C netcode is fixed.

Shame that H2 netcode is still ass.

I suck at MP and I'm level 1 yet everyone below 10 is on one team and everyone 20+ on the other. Happened 4 games straight, not fun losing 50-15 every time lol

Top Bottom