• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Fuchsdh

Well, the way I was thinking it would be close to a year after H5's release at that point, and it'd be an good way to release a complete version of H5 with all DLC while pooling the remaining online populations together.
It makes sense too when you consider how much it seems they want MCC to stick around for a while, hence all the post launch dev work and planned DLC like ODST.

Yeah. The MCC seems like a really solid place to collect all the non-current Halo titles. So when Halo 6 came out they transitioned H5 into the same setup, et al.

Why does he have a blood mouth though? Shouldn't it be like Flood bile or something?

Yeah it's definitely closer to the original concepts, but the jagged inner teeth and hanging "lips" when he's talking seem really weird to me.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
And Ply, Halo 5 was really good, to me. I think they got it right, and even better than some of the older games, barring a complete shitshow reveal of other stuff, I'm really excited for 5. #teamdowner #donthirejuices
Well I'm glad to here, I hope they nail the final product.

RowdyReverb

Yeah. The MCC seems like a really solid place to collect all the non-current Halo titles. So when Halo 6 came out they transitioned H5 into the same setup, et al.
That's pretty much what I had envisioned. Halo Channel is already wrapped up in the same package, so the game could become a general Halo dashboard

MysteryM

Why is the sniper so damn big onscreen in halo 4? It's so irritating playing team snipers with it. I don't remember the halo 5 sniper being that big but I hope it's not a new direction.

Tunavi

Banned
Just sold my xbone

Spent 327 on the bone, 60 on the game, sold the kinect for 70, and the rest for 320.

Broke even and I only paid the taxes.

Hell yeah. And then I bought majoras mask

daedalius

Ram is Team "I'm 600 years old, i have better shit to do than bitch about halo so i'm just going to troll kids these days"

Damn kids, get off my lawn! (I actually hate my lawn, I'd love it if it was trampled)

Played a few games of Halo last night, the connection quality when I am alone is depressingly superior than when I play with friends. Most of the games didn't seem too much like laggy messes, except one game of H2a where I shot a dude with a whole sniper clip and saw 4 shield flares, but he took no damage; the windmill on Stonetown was doing some crazy dancing too.

I really wish you could tell what your connection quality is, are the little bars actually removed? I feel like I never see them. A displayed PING would be amazing; apparently that is too much information for console babbies tho.

RBK

Banned
Just sold my xbone

e43f0e3c239eadada927cd1d1cd09bbd.gif

Karl2177

I remember Spartan Ops being bad, but this is beyond miserable. 1.1 was awful. 1.2 was serviceable. 1.3 is the worst mission I've played yet.

Oh. 1.4 managed to be even worse.

Mistel

Banned
I remember Spartan Ops being bad, but this is beyond miserable. 1.1 was awful. 1.2 was serviceable. 1.3 is the worst mission I've played yet.

It gets even worse as it goes along especially the 2nd and 3rd chapters. Not that I've played it for a long time but I remember its a right slog out of a few missions.
Yeah, imo it needed:

- less blood mouth
- more tendrils
- green stuff
- girthier main body

dude's pencil-thin in the H2A version.
The H2A Gravemind looked like it wouldn't be out of place in the Thing more than anything. It could of done with the things you said though really could of done with being bulked up.

It gets even worse as it goes along especially the 2nd and 3rd chapters. Not that I've played it for a long time but I remember its a right slog out of a few missions.

The H2A Gravemind looked like it wouldn't be out of place in the Thing more than anything. It could of done with the things you said though really could of done with being bulked up.

The original cutscene gave Gravemind a lot more presence thanks to the camera angles and the haze too, imo. It made it look like it was completely filling that huge opening at the base of the library, whereas the H2A one looks like it's maybe taking up 10% of the room.

Also, it just hit me: Gravemind set up shop under the Library because it's where all of the life from the conservation measure got stored. He's been using the bodies to sustain himself!

RowdyReverb

I thought it was at least tolerable back when there was matchmaking. Playing it solo is just miserable.

Akai__

Oh I know it gets worse. I practically wrote an essay about it when it released. Going back to it though seems like it's even worse.

Had the same feel. Thank god that achievement glitch exists, where you just need to complete the 1st mission and can save&quit the others. I would not have completed it on solo Legendary otherwise...

Spartan Ops...2015... Karl pls

I remember my first experience with Spartan Ops. First five minutes. I hopped out of a Ghost and walked five feet to pick up a Fuel Rod Cannon. Turned around and the Ghost had despawned. Instantly knew we weren't in Kansas anymore.

RSB

Banned
Speaking of Spartan Ops and it being sub-par, is it really hard to come up with awesome missions with it? I don't remember a single mission from the first half and didn't bother to return since it was so bland and unoriginal.. I would kill for them to make something like Call of Duty 4 All Ghillied Up with Halo.
Eww, no thanks. Ultra linear and scripted levels with zero replayability is not the kind of thing I want in Halo. Give me more stuff like Tsavo Highway, The Ark, The Covenant, etc.

Welfare

Eww, no thanks. Ultra linear and scripted levels with zero replayability is not the kind of thing I want in Halo. Give me more stuff like Tsavo Highway, The Ark, The Covenant, etc.

Nothing is "scripted" in AGU. You can fuck up royally in that mission and it can be unforgiving if you don't pay attention.

A stealth mission like AGU would be something I would replay in Halo 5.

RSB

Banned
Nothing is "scripted" in AGU. You can fuck up royally in that mission and it can be unforgiving if you don't pay attention.

A stealth mission like AGU would be something I would replay in Halo 5.
Of course it is scripted. In fact, most of the level is so ridiculously scripted than if you deviate even a little from what you are supposed to do then it is an instant Game Over. I don't want that kind of awful game design in Halo.

Levels like The Ark, The Covenant, etc. allow for many different approaches, and are very replayable. That's the kind of level design I want in Halo, not something like that All Ghillied Up where it plays exactly the same every time.

It makes sense that revealing your position to a helicopter or field of troops or tanks that can mow you down in seconds kills you. That's not bad design, it's the basis of the design for the level. You are outgunned and you better not fuck it up.
It's a stealth mission where the objective is to not give away your position to an entire army. That's not awful design.
Yes it is. When a game limits your actions to such a ridiculous degree, then it stops being a game, and starts being a (slightly interactive) movie. And that's ok if you are playing a David Cage game, but it's definetly not ok in an FPS, especially not in Halo.

It's actually more open than your think. It's understandable people think it's one route scripted but you can play it different ways.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=917734&highlight=all+ghillied+up
There's nothing open about it. Thanks for that link though, glad to see people in that thread critizicing that level for the same reasons I've mentioned. Thankfully, not everyone is so easily fooled by that "OMG WOW SO MUCH SPECTACLE" kind of approach of most modern shooters, and can actually recognize how awful and shallow levels like All Ghillied Up really are.

Again, Halo should never try to imitate that shit, and instead should keep giving us more amazing levels like Tsavo Highway, The Ark, The Covenant, etc. Man, Halo 3 had flaws, but damn if the Campaign wasn't an absolute masterpiece. Such an amazing example of great game design... Love it.

jelly

Speaking of Spartan Ops and it being sub-par, is it really hard to come up with awesome missions with it? I don't remember a single mission from the first half and didn't bother to return since it was so bland and unoriginal.. I would kill for them to make something like Call of Duty 4 All Ghillied Up with Halo.

I don't think 343 had a clue. A pipe dream idea that fell to pieces when they realised the work involved. It's an awful experience of boredom, repetitiveness and terrible enemy engagement. It feels like the worst level editor mixed with the worst L4D director into the 343 soup of Halo storytelling and characters.

I would kill for one good level than 20 god awful ones. Hopefully lessons learned. I would love an interconnecting level, maybe two co-op partners go on one route, two more another route and they both have mission objectives then meet up for bigger battles. Enemy encounters that aren't just rainbow LSD epileptic segments until people release that horse is long past dead would be welcome. If you can't make it work without throwing a billion enemies with fuel rod guns at the players then please, don't bother at all.

SaganIsGOAT

Of course it is scripted. In fact, most of the level is so ridiculously scripted than if you deviate even a little from what you are supposed to do then it is an instant Game Over. I don't want that kind of awful game design in Halo.

It makes sense that revealing your position to a helicopter or field of troops or tanks that can mow you down in seconds kills you. That's not bad design, it's the basis of the design for the level. You are outgunned and you better not fuck it up.

Welfare

It's a stealth mission where the objective is to not give away your position to an entire army. That's not awful design.

jelly

Levels like The Ark, The Covenant, etc. allow for many different approaches, and are very replayable. That's the kind of level design I want in Halo, not something like that All Ghillied Up where it plays exactly the same every time.

It's actually more open than your think. It's understandable people think it's one route scripted but you can play it different ways.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=917734&highlight=all+ghillied+up

I wouldn't so much put that on Spartan Ops's shoulders as I would the campaign. Even that was the by the (Halo) numbers.

Top Bottom