• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

In my opinion, Spartan Ops was less about game play, or story, as opposed to a way to monetize the game further, especially after the success of The Walking Dead. They wanted episodic DLC that people would buy that would allow them to make up for falling map pack revenue, provide an additional stream of profit beyond the initial purchase of the game itself. The decision to cut Firefight, making Spartan Ops require a Gold subscription, these were all calculated business decisions.

I think Firefight is probably gone for good, and the way they promoted Spartan Ops again in MCC, it's own update, new achievements, means that they want to remind/establish "Spartan Ops" just in time for Halo 5. Let's see how much they've learned from Halo 4 for Halo 5's version.

Nowise10

It makes sense that revealing your position to a helicopter or field of troops or tanks that can mow you down in seconds kills you. That's not bad design, it's the basis of the design for the level. You are outgunned and you better not fuck it up.

That is the thing with Halo though. Halo has always been do any battle however you want. Nightfall in Halo:Reach is clearly meant as a stealth sniper mission, but if I want to pick up a plasma rifle and go fuck shit up, I can. It will be a lot harder, but still entirely doable. I believe if you "fuck up" in thus said Halo mission, then have the Helicopter(or whatever covenant vehicle) begin shooting at you. Give the player a chance to survive though, and let them take out the enemies if they are good enough. If they don't fuck up, carry on with the stealth atmosphere

I haven't played that CoD mission ever before, so I'm not really sure how it goes, and I agree that it is fine in a Call of Duty game. Halo shouldn't follow that type of mission layout though.

http://aka.ms/feb27update

"We’re pleased to announce that our upcoming content update, which will improve stability, matchmaking, the party and invite system, and more, is now complete and has been submitted to the certification process. Within the next few days, we’ll provide details on timing and content."

UPDATES on Updates!!!!

Yay, glad to know its soon, I've been holding off on going through the campaigns as I'm waiting to see what bugs they fixed for it

Nowise10

Yay, glad to know its soon, I've been holding off on going through the campaigns as I'm waiting to see what bugs they fixed for it

I don't think this update is going to be fixing any campaign related bugs. It is more about fixing the multiplayer aspects (even matches, parties staying connected, network issues).

Who knows though, they might fix some that were introduced in MCC.

jelly

In my opinion, Spartan Ops was less about game play, or story, as opposed to a way to monetize the game further, especially after the success of The Walking Dead. They wanted episodic DLC that people would buy that would allow them to make up for falling map pack revenue, provide an additional stream of profit beyond the initial purchase of the game itself. The decision to cut Firefight, making Spartan Ops require a Gold subscription, these were all calculated business decisions.

I think Firefight is probably gone for good, and the way they promoted Spartan Ops again in MCC, it's own update, new achievements, means that they want to remind/establish "Spartan Ops" just in time for Halo 5. Let's see how much they've learned from Halo 4 for Halo 5's version.

That sucks though, Firefight can be great. Sell armour, icon sets or something, don't funnel me down stuff like Spartan Ops in hope of more revenue but by all means add it if you want but don't take away good stuff.

I don't think this update is going to be fixing any campaign related bugs. It is more about fixing the multiplayer aspects (even matches, parties staying connected, network issues).

Who knows though, they might fix some that were introduced in MCC.

Someone from 343 in the "100 days broken thread" thread said that campaign bugs were being fixed also when I asked directly, not sure if that's for a future update or this coming one, hopefully it's all in this

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Someone from 343 in the "100 days broken thread" thread said that campaign bugs were being fixed also when I asked directly, not sure if that's for a future update or this coming one, hopefully it's all in this

We've been told it's all being fixed. And they are "working around the clock."

That must be a lot of overtime! Yeah, right.

jem0208

I'm not massively keen on CE. I can recognize from a design perspective it's good, however its gameplay, the movement and shooting, just feels a bit clunky. It lacks a certain smoothness from modern shooters, lots of little and very subtle aspects. I enjoy it, although not as much as the other games in the MCC.

That said 3 isn't great in that respect either imo. I think Halo 2 holds up much better than CE. Although there is too much auto aim in 2.

vrNTeDT.png

Glass

Spartan Ops had two problems for me - as a story guy, that opening cinematic with those new Spartans was so disappointing. Fucking hated them. Why would I want to fight alongside a bunch of douchebags? The Prometheans could have killed them all for all I cared. And the re-used levels. Playing through the main campaign recently and it felt like I'd done those levels 10 times over, the areas are that reused. It was like they had the cinematics and in game recordings ready but not the levels, so they grabbed them from the campaign.
Rant over. The feedback from Halo 4 has me hyped for 5.

I'm not massively keen on CE. I can recognize from a design perspective it's good, however its gameplay, the movement and shooting, just feels a bit clunky. It lacks a certain smoothness from modern shooters, lots of little and very subtle aspects. I enjoy it, although not as much as the other games in the MCC.

That said 3 isn't great in that respect either imo. I think Halo 2 holds up much better than CE. Although there is too much auto aim in 2.
"It lacks a certain smoothness from modern shooters."

CE and Modern shooters are years apart in terms of technology/design.

RSB

Banned
I wish modern shooters were more like Halo CE.

It's been 13 years and it still has the best core gameplay in a console FPS. So good.

HTupolev

I'm not massively keen on CE. I can recognize from a design perspective it's good, however its gameplay, the movement and shooting, just feels a bit clunky. It lacks a certain smoothness from modern shooters, lots of little and very subtle aspects.
When I play CE on MCC I can't seem to shake the feeling that I'm sliding around on ice.

I don't have that issue on oXbox, though.

Might just be how the game has been tuned relative to the controller.

I hope this really is the patch to fix everything, but I am fully prepared to laugh like a maniac when the entire thing just goes up in flames.

Madness

Population is dead. Nothing bringing it back. We have hardcore Halo fans refunding their games or even selling their Xbox One's left and right. 343 can do whatever they want, even making the game free won't do much. In 6-8 months, Halo 5 launches, and like every Halo release before it, it will cannibalize the rest of the population of the previous game, in this case, MCC. Now sure those who don't want to play Halo 5 will stick with it, if it works, but you're going to find that those still playing Halo 3, Halo 4 or BTB will easily move on.

At best, the patch will be a massive step in the right direction. But it will not cure what ails us. Dunno how the population will ever come back.

Population is dead. Nothing bringing it back. We have hardcore Halo fans refunding their games or even selling their Xbox One's left and right. 343 can do whatever they want, even making the game free won't do much. In 6-8 months, Halo 5 launches, and like every Halo release before it, it will cannibalize the rest of the population of the previous game, in this case, MCC. Now sure those who don't want to play Halo 5 will stick with it, if it works, but you're going to find that those still playing Halo 3, Halo 4 or BTB will easily move on.

Gonna repost my idea from earlier.
Make it free, or at least, the multiplayer free. Best thing they can do.

In the coming few months or around the E3 window as say a whirring up the H5 hype machine or with some sort of promotional effort mixed in?

SaganIsGOAT

I still laugh at the notion that they had no ideas of the issues before launch.

"1th" No one noticed or no one cared? Shit was broken when I played it at Pax Prime.

Booshka

When I play CE on MCC I can't seem to shake the feeling that I'm sliding around on ice.

I don't have that issue on oXbox, though.

Might just be how the game has been tuned relative to the controller.

For what it's worth Shadowrun at 60 and higher FPS feels off too, the movement isn't tuned as well imo. The entire engine feels locked in for 30 FPS, and so far, in MCC, PC Halo CE and PC Shadowrun, higher than 30 FPS makes that engine a little funky to play.

At this point if they ever fix the game completely they need to make it a GwG game. Just give us a chance to get our money back and let us download it for free.

ElRenoRaven

I still laugh at the notion that they had no ideas of the issues before launch.

"1th" No one noticed or no one cared? Shit was broken when I played it at Pax Prime.

I think that's the thing that pissed and still pisses me off the most. There are so many issues that aren't even online related which there are no ways to avoid.

-1th

animations missing or incomplete in Halo 2. Example some times and enemy will jump or whatever and there will be a funky pop out issue where the animation will skip.

enemy models not loading in at all. I know in the 2nd to last arbiter mission one of the brutes in that starting area had no model. It was just the brute plasma rifle floating in the air and shooting at me and rushing me. The others had their models.

the Halo 4 build crashes.

The lighting issues

The audio mixing issues

menu issues

Honestly I could go on and on. Those all aren't even server and online related. But to say that the game did not have all these issues and ran perfectly pre launch is a straight up lie.

Booshka

And every online Halo game had years of Matchmaking/playlist and settings growing pains to go through, yet little of what was learned over those years was implemented for MCC.

They just shit those games out with practically day one settings. 343 and MS give you the whole, "stewards of Halo" bullshit, but really it's cold, corporate, and distant from the community.

They need to hit the reset button hard for Halo 5, go all-in with the community, some serious image problems over there.

For what it's worth Shadowrun at 60 and higher FPS feels off too, the movement isn't tuned as well imo. The entire engine feels locked in for 30 FPS, and so far, in MCC, PC Halo CE and PC Shadowrun, higher than 30 FPS makes that engine a little funky to play.

Halo 4 plays great at 60 FPS, wipe my butt with silk type smooth.

Akai__

Are there actually games out there with Bullet Magnetism or Aim Assist sliders? I know some games let you disable Aim Assist completely, but I'm askig for a slider.

I'd like something like this in Halo. An individual weapon damage modifier would also be a pretty cool thing.

RowdyReverb

At best, the patch will be a massive step in the right direction. But it will not cure what ails us. Dunno how the population will ever come back.

If the game had worked from day one, I think the population next week would be roughly the same either way. It might have tapered off a bit slower if it was fully functional, but the only people playing by now in that scenario are the same people who would come back to play classic Halo mp after it's been fixed.

I think what we really missed out on was those couple of months post-launch in which MCC would have been popular. It really bums me out that the game couldn't have been delayed until it was fit for a proper release. Maybe they will relaunch it or salvage it as a bundled game with every XB1 purchase.

Booshka

Exactly like quake?

I must have missed that when I was playing quake the other day.

Halo CE MP is medium paced Quake for Consoles. It's not exact, obviously, cuz controllers and the scrubs that use them can't handle the speed and accuracy needed for Quake gameplay. But, Halo CE is the closest to a Quake game on consoles, aim assist is needed for gross analog movement with thumbsticks, the level design, sandbox design and movement/lethality is fast for console shooter standards and very similar to Quake.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Exactly like quake?

I must have missed that when I was playing quake the other day.

Ok...I guess I have to be more literal...since interwebz can't dissect what I post.

I swear i've said this a million times.

The similarities of Quake and Halo CE

1. both have weapon timers, weapons spawn on static timers
2. both have power up timers, Quake's powerup timers start once they're picked up, HCE's are static
3. both have utility weapons as starting weapons ( since you play quake, you should know how the MG is a utility weapon off spawn)
4. Both have health pickups
5. Both have power weapons on the map that give distinct advantages
6. Both have unique powerups such as armors in Quake, and OS/Camo in HCE
7. Both have a very fast time to kill

Halo CE is basically a slower version of Quake. Can't deny they share similarities and can't deny the fact that HCE was probably in development for at least two years...so take 2001 and subtract two...you get 1999.

Quake 3 released in December of 1999...basically one year before HCE. Lets not kid ourselves here.

Halo CE MP is medium paced Quake for Consoles. It's not exact, obviously, cuz controllers and the scrubs that use them can't handle the speed and accuracy needed for Quake gameplay. But, Halo CE is the closest to a Quake game on consoles, aim assist is needed for gross analog movement with thumbsticks, the level design, sandbox design and movement/lethality is fast for console shooter standards and very similar to Quake.

This too.

And by the way...every Halo since Halo 2 and beyond...you can't compare them at ALL to Quake. The quake similarity died when Halo 2 released.

343 has driven everyone in here crazy

CE is the best playing Halo next to Halo 2. Halo 4 is clunky as fuck.

MCC sucks

Halo 5 feels less clunky than 4 but it's definitely not as good as 1-2

daedalius

Yea I guess, I still would rather play quake than CE though.

CE just feels janky as fuck to me, but I guess I never play it alone so I probably have absolute garbage connections all the time.

When I play quake I usually do Quake Arena, where you start 100/200 and all weapons. That's what I've been playing since Rocket Arena in Quake 2. Deathmatch is alright too though.

Booshka

Yea I guess, I still would rather play quake than CE though.

CE just feels janky as fuck to me, but I guess I never play it alone so I probably have absolute garbage connections all the time.

Put some time into 1v1's, and/or find a good 2v2 partner, learn spawns, weapon times, etc. And play on a good connection, and your tune will change. CE isn't janky, the movement and aiming is smooth, just don't jump too much (that's kinda janky).

It's still the best engine for aiming and movement for console FPS imo, player movement, strafe, inertia, aim assist mechanics, adhesion and friction while in a red reticule, hitboxes, aim assist at range, player model size relative to world size, etc. All of the little details that I don't fully understand, OG Bungie nailed it on their first outing. Instead of improving on their near perfection, they dumbed it down and simplified it for Halo 2, then for Halo 3, jesus fuck, I don't know what happened, that game feels like ass.

daedalius

Put some time into 1v1's, and/or find a good 2v2 partner, learn spawns, weapon times, etc. And play on a good connection, and your tune will change. CE isn't janky, the movement and aiming is smooth, just don't jump too much (that's kinda janky).

It's still the best engine for aiming and movement for console FPS imo, player movement, strafe, inertia, aim assist mechanics, adhesion and friction while in a red reticule, hitboxes, aim assist at range, player model size relative to world size, etc. All of the little details that I don't fully understand, OG Bungie nailed it on their first outing. Instead of improving on their near perfection, they dumbed it down and simplified it for Halo 2, then for Halo 3, jesus fuck, I don't know what happened, that game feels like ass.

Well we can definitely agree halo 3 feels like ass. Out of all the halo games available in MCC, Halo 3 is the one I'd like to play the least. Mmm, dat anchor on my crosshair and slow ass bullet travel on shitty connections.

Ok...I guess I have to be more literal...since interwebz can't dissect what I post.

I swear i've said this a million times.

The similarities of Quake and Halo CE

1. both have weapon timers, weapons spawn on static timers
2. both have power up timers, Quake's powerup timers start once they're picked up, HCE's are static
3. both have utility weapons as starting weapons ( since you play quake, you should know how the MG is a utility weapon off spawn)
4. Both have health pickups
5. Both have power weapons on the map that give distinct advantages
6. Both have unique powerups such as armors in Quake, and OS/Camo in HCE
7. Both have a very fast time to kill

Halo CE is basically a slower version of Quake. Can't deny they share similarities and can't deny the fact that HCE was probably in development for at least two years...so take 2001 and subtract two...you get 1999.

Quake 3 released in December of 1999...basically one year before HCE. Lets not kid ourselves here.

This too.

And by the way...every Halo since Halo 2 and beyond...you can't compare them at ALL to Quake. The quake similarity died when Halo 2 released.

That list is why Halo CE is like late 90's FPS games- not Quake specifically, and definitely not "exactly" like it.

Well we can definitely agree halo 3 feels like ass. Out of all the halo games available in MCC, Halo 3 is the one I'd like to play the least. Mmm, dat anchor on my crosshair and slow ass bullet travel on shitty connections.

Halo 3 is my least favorite Halo to play in MCC. The BR likes to randomly switch between "murder" and "tickle".

Madness

If the game had worked from day one, I think the population next week would be roughly the same either way. It might have tapered off a bit slower if it was fully functional, but the only people playing by now in that scenario are the same people who would come back to play classic Halo mp after it's been fixed.

I think what we really missed out on was those couple of months post-launch in which MCC would have been popular. It really bums me out that the game couldn't have been delayed until it was fit for a proper release. Maybe they will relaunch it or salvage it as a bundled game with every XB1 purchase.

How can you even think this is true? Master Chief Collection isn't even in the top games for Xbox one anymore. If it worked day one, it would probably be behind only Advanced Warfare right now. The game population is dead because it was a broken piece of shit at launch and almost 4 months later, still isn't working properly. Not because people would have tapered off. If anything, we'd probably be playing it now instead of talking about the game.

How can you even think this is true? Master Chief Collection isn't even in the top games for Xbox one anymore. If it worked day one, it would probably be behind only Advanced Warfare right now. The game population is dead because it was a broken piece of shit at launch and almost 4 months later, still isn't working properly. Not because people would have tapered off. If anything, we'd probably be playing it now instead of talking about the game.
Is AW even doing well? No one on my friends list plays it and my friends list has been playing CoD for years.

CyReN

Is AW even doing well? No one on my friends list plays it and my friends list has been playing CoD for years.

It's #1 on most played on Xbox One, in the Top 10 of games on Twitch (even though Pros are at MLG.TV), and they have a million dollar tournament happening next month. Seems to be doing pretty good.

Madness

It's #1 on most played, in the Top 10 of games on Twitch (even though Pros are at MLG.TV), and they have a million dollar tournament happening next month. Seems to be doing pretty good.

CyReN basically said it. The most played game on Xbox One, whereas MCC isn't even there, while games like Battlefield 4 are. AW does well on twitch as well.

Shooters in general have it tough, but whereas reverb is saying MCC would always be this low, I'm trying to say it's this low because it's a badly launched game.

CyReN

I don't think MCC would be beating CoD AW/Destiny/GTA V/Fifa if it launched well, but it would still be pretty damn high. Never thought it would be out of the Top 10.

If the game does get fixed, just announce it for free at E3, let the Halo name have some good PR going forward.

Top Bottom