• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Ghazi

Is AW even doing well? No one on my friends list plays it and my friends list has been playing CoD for years.

Replace CoD with Halo and you have my current situation. I had over 30 or 40 people playing the game at 11 PM alone when it became playable digitally, for me, and many others playing before then. I've only seen rosso playing it in the last month.

Fuchsdh

I'm not massively keen on CE. I can recognize from a design perspective it's good, however its gameplay, the movement and shooting, just feels a bit clunky. It lacks a certain smoothness from modern shooters, lots of little and very subtle aspects. I enjoy it, although not as much as the other games in the MCC.

That said 3 isn't great in that respect either imo. I think Halo 2 holds up much better than CE. Although there is too much auto aim in 2.

I think Halo 2 still comes down as my least favorite. The Flood are at their most obnoxious in it, and they pair an interesting story with some damn frustrating missions.

I remember when I played it first with my brother that the levels felt massively closed-in and constrained compared to Halo 1—upon reflection that's not really true, but I don't think the player gets to "breathe" in the same way. I think it's also a consequence of High Charity feeling rather unimpressive as a location—there's these awesome views but you're fighting down a narrow corridor of gravity elevators.

Playing the games through does make me appreciate the small details like the bob and sway to the player camera as you move, and the increasingly improved gun feedback and punch, which they definitely improved on with a few minor exceptions with each game.

Madness

Replace CoD with Halo and you have my current situation. I had over 30 or 40 people playing the game at 11 PM alone when it became playable digitally, for me, and many others playing before then. I've only seen rosso playing it in the last month.

K65VyRX.jpg

That's right now, advanced warfare is still doing well.

But you're right Ghazi. I know people who took off time from work to play MCC nonstop for the first day or two, literally into weekend. I think I checked the twitch app in Halo channel during launch week, and MCC had like 80k viewers which is almost like counterstrike level for console exclusive game. Look how many people from here have gotten refunds or even traded in their consoles? Hell I remember Tunavi buying the console for MCC in a deal Fracas located and he sold it already.

Booshka

I would have bought Halo CE: Anniversary on 360 if it had CE Multiplayer. I wasn't gonna buy MCC and a new console for the luxury of playing CE on XBL. That shit should have been in the first CE Anniversary you sold. Not like the Xbox 360 can't handle CE MP over XBL, just wasn't fiscally viable for Microsoft to develop. Instead, make it a DLC sustain project for Reach.

343/MS is so shady to me, no trust in them. I bought Halo 4 cuz at least it was their own product, and it sucked. Halo 5 looks to be at least decent, but definitely not worth buying a console over.

RowdyReverb

How can you even think this is true? Master Chief Collection isn't even in the top games for Xbox one anymore. If it worked day one, it would probably be behind only Advanced Warfare right now. The game population is dead because it was a broken piece of shit at launch and almost 4 months later, still isn't working properly. Not because people would have tapered off. If anything, we'd probably be playing it now instead of talking about the game.

I'm specifically talking about next week, or post-patch, assuming it's as good a fix as we've been lead to believe. I'm speculating that had the game worked from day one, we'd still find ourselves with a comparatively paltry population by 3.5 months post launch because most online games, Halo in particular, don't have the staying power they once did. The people returning to MCC once the patch is released are the same people who would still be playing the game by now even if it had worked from the start, and the people that don't return to play likely wouldn't still be playing by now anyway.

I guess I'm trying to say that there's no resuscitating the population with this patch, because it would have been slow by now anyway. I'm glad that it will at least allow the people who most want to play the game to use it more easily though, because they're the ones who will want to play it up until H5 launches. The only way they could boost the population at this stage of the game is to incentivize new players to give it a try by either bundling it, discounting it, or just giving it away.

I'm specifically talking about next week, or post-patch, assuming it's as good a fix as we've been lead to believe. I'm speculating that had the game worked from day one, we'd still find ourselves with a comparatively paltry population by 3.5 months post launch because most online games, Halo in particular, don't have the staying power they once did. The people returning to MCC once the patch is released are the same people who would still be playing the game by now even if it had worked from the start, and the people that don't return to play likely wouldn't still be playing by now anyway.

I guess I'm trying to say that there's no resuscitating the population with this patch, because it would have been slow by now anyway. I'm glad that it will at least allow the people who most want to play the game to use it more easily though, because they're the ones who will want to play it up until H5 launches.

This is not valid.

Halo doesn't have staying power because the games released have been fucking trash. For the first time in 4 years we got a good Halo game, but it didn't work.

RowdyReverb

This is not valid.

Halo doesn't have staying power because the games released have been fucking trash. For the first time in 4 years we got a good Halo game, but it didn't work.
You aren't really arguing with what I said. I'm not talking about why the games don't have staying power anymore, and I'm not saying that the brokenness of the game didn't contribute to the population falling off a cliff prematurely.

You aren't really arguing with what I said. I'm not talking about why the games don't have staying power anymore, and I'm not saying that the brokenness of the game didn't contribute to the population falling off a cliff prematurely.

You literally said the populations would be similar, and the people that would be playing would have been the same people anyways. That's not true. Do you know how many people left and/or sold their Xbox's because the game didn't work?????? The population would be at least double what it is right now if the game wasn't a mess.

RowdyReverb

You literally said the populations would be similar, and the people that would be playing would have been the same people anyways. That's not true. Do you know how many people left and/or sold their Xbox's because the game didn't work?????? The population would be at least double what it is right now if the game wasn't a mess.
Maybe yes, maybe no. It's just hypothetical anyway. I just never felt that optimistic about MCC's longevity from the start because there's only so much of the player population that's willing to really devote their time to older games that they've already played the hell out of before. Perhaps H2A and the lack of many competing FPSs could have kept the population healthy, assuming they had file share up and running and solid playlist management in this hypothetical day one perfect MCC. Who knows.

Madness

If you liked the gunplay of Halo 4, liked things like legendary BR's or Halo 4 without the superfluous extras, you'd like H2A. I love playing it. It's exactly what I wish Halo 4 was.

Movement and strafe a bit slower than I like, and aim assist a bit too high, and dual wielding means needler and pistol are garbo, but if I had Halo 2 Anniversary with full 20+ remastered maps, I would never have wanted to buy Halo 5.

What they also could have done with Halo 2 Anniversary is a best of collection of maps. The best of CE, 2, 3 and Halo 4, ie. 3 small/mid maps and 1-2 BTB maps from each game. Halo 2 game play would have worked well on all maps (Halo 4 maps would have been a bit tougher since they were made to accommodate sprint or jetpack).

Madness

MCC sold like 1 million copies it's first week, plus it probably was the reason Xbox One had won the November NPD. If it wasn't for these problems, it would have easily sold millions more.

But the word of mouth spread, and by the end of November, it was 10th for the month of November NPD, it didn't even chart in December. In the UK, it was 17th in sales on black Friday, behind games like Little Big Planet etc. The fact the game was broken is why the population has plummeted. Otherwise right now, I am confident in assuming there would be ten times the number of people playing, maybe more.

RowdyReverb

MCC sold like 1 million copies it's first week, plus it probably was the reason Xbox One had won the November NPD. If it wasn't for these problems, it would have easily sold millions more.

But the word of mouth spread, and by the end of November, it was 10th for the month of November NPD, it didn't even chart in December. In the UK, it was 17th in sales on black Friday, behind games like Little Big Planet etc. The fact the game was broken is why the population has plummeted. Otherwise right now, I am confident in assuming there would be ten times the number of people playing, maybe more.
I think the price cut had a lot to do with securing November's NPD for the Xbox, but MCC hype surely helped. Maybe I am underestimating the demand for MCC. What do you think the population will do if this CU really is the one?

Madness

I think the price cut had a lot to do with securing November's NPD for the Xbox, but MCC hype surely helped. Maybe I am underestimating the demand for MCC. What do you think the population will do if this CU really is the one?

Nothing. It may bring some folks back but for the most part the game is done. This CU needed to have come within the first month, or at least by Christmas time/holidays. There are also still a myriad of issues that need to be fixed once simple party joining and playlists work. Campaign issues, playlist consolidation and updates, ranks, etc.

Barring a free/games for gold scenario, maybe packing it free for new Xbox One owners in bundles, the game won't pick up or bring back many users. Sure it'll keep the communities happier, but Halo 5 is coming fast and a lot of people have already refunded MCC or traded it in. I was at an EBGames like 4 days ago, and there must've been 25 used copies of MCC alone, far more than any other game for Xbox One.

Edit: it's more about keeping the game functional for people who might want to play campaigns or to keep small communities who love like CE or Halo 2 or Halo 3 going once Halo 5 and beyond happens. But even I'll say it now, I'm most likely not going to play MCC even if it's fixed. All hype and urge to play is done.

daedalius

I actually got into a few btb matches relatively quickly tonight, and they weren't lag filled messes. I would go so far as to say the game works "decent" if you are alone at least. I do have to "quit the build" often before I start matchmaking if I happen to resume instead of start the game fresh.

Now party stuff is a whole different matter. I was playing with a friend and we got split to different teams several times, and they were mostly shit connections for me. Not to mention a bunch of weird party UI junk.

I actually got into a few btb matches relatively quickly tonight, and they weren't lag filled messes. I would go so far as to say the game works "decent" if you are alone at least. I do have to "quit the build" often before I start matchmaking if I happen to resume instead of start the game fresh.

Now party stuff is a whole different matter. I was playing with a friend and we got split to different teams several times, and they were mostly shit connections for me. Not to mention a bunch of weird party UI junk.

All connections are "shit" to you. Even good ones.

Get gud imo

Booshka

Off-host XBC montages never bitched about shit connections.

Landing sick 3 shots on 150 ping, no scoping with sniper while aiming at a wall.

Computron

I spent about 5 hours in MM and got into about 8 games, 5 of which were playable, and 2 or 3 that were good. (BTB Valhalla or Ghost Town)

Two of the matches ended just after starting, and one time I got put in another dudes lobby who took us to H2 Anni playlist. The remainder of the time was searching for players while listening to Bombcast and surfing the net.

Halo 3 is a real stunner in 1080p. I wish they would fix the audio issue and the washed out brightness, and set the fade out distance and LOD ratios out way further/higher, since it seems like the Xbone could handle that and it would really look quite nice. Maybe more motion blur samples too, its looking a bit edgy in some places. They seem to have some decentish AA in Halo 3 and its soo colorful and crisp.

I want it for PC with dedicated servers and a browser soooo bad.

jem0208

I think Halo 2 still comes down as my least favorite. The Flood are at their most obnoxious in it, and they pair an interesting story with some damn frustrating missions.

I remember when I played it first with my brother that the levels felt massively closed-in and constrained compared to Halo 1—upon reflection that's not really true, but I don't think the player gets to "breathe" in the same way. I think it's also a consequence of High Charity feeling rather unimpressive as a location—there's these awesome views but you're fighting down a narrow corridor of gravity elevators.

Playing the games through does make me appreciate the small details like the bob and sway to the player camera as you move, and the increasingly improved gun feedback and punch, which they definitely improved on with a few minor exceptions with each game.

Overall I'm not sure which I prefer out of CE and 2. I adore the first half of 2 but then the rest of it just seems to jump off a cliff in terms of my enjoyment. I'd say CE is probably the better campaign taken as a whole.

However from a purely "gameplay feel" perspective I think 2 wins easily. The movement and shooting just feel so much better.

If you liked the gunplay of Halo 4, liked things like legendary BR's or Halo 4 without the superfluous extras, you'd like H2A. I love playing it. It's exactly what I wish Halo 4 was.

Movement and strafe a bit slower than I like, and aim assist a bit too high, and dual wielding means needler and pistol are garbo, but if I had Halo 2 Anniversary with full 20+ remastered maps, I would never have wanted to buy Halo 5.

What they also could have done with Halo 2 Anniversary is a best of collection of maps. The best of CE, 2, 3 and Halo 4, ie. 3 small/mid maps and 1-2 BTB maps from each game. Halo 2 game play would have worked well on all maps (Halo 4 maps would have been a bit tougher since they were made to accommodate sprint or jetpack).

I really enjoy H2A, it's just a shame I've never had a match with a smooth connection.

daedalius

I spent about 5 hours in MM and got into about 8 games, 5 of which were playable, and 2 or 3 that were good. (BTB Valhalla or Ghost Town)

Two of the matches ended just after starting, and one time I got put in another dudes lobby who took us to H2 Anni playlist. The remainder of the time was searching for players while listening to Bombcast and surfing the net.

Sounds totally fixed.

I find it hard to constantly adjust to the different games in this collection.

Like what the hell is up with Halo 2's sniper? It's weird. Should I be leading shots or something? I swear it isn't hit scan

I feel like Halo 3 is the only one that really requires a lot of adjustment, given it has the weird ass aim acceleration going on. I don't think I'm adjusting at all to it really, I'm just bad at it.

Omni

Like what the hell is up with Halo 2's sniper? It's weird. Should I be leading shots or something? I swear it isn't hit scan

Hubble

Often headshots with the sniper do not register on H2A...

Mine01

Halo 3 mp is my favorite out of the bunch for mm, I prefer ce for split screen tough, most people quit at ce on the btb playlist :(.

Btw, just got a game of halo 3 in less than 30 seconds, I guess the game works for me lol.

Edit: speak to soon lol, was pretty laggy :(

Akai__

Btw, just got a game of halo 3 in less than 30 seconds, I guess the game works for me lol.

I'm finding constantly games in Halo 3, but that doesn't mean it's working.

For example: I just got a 4vs5 match, where I was host and the game ended, when I quit. (BR's on Construct, Team mates quit and enemy camped the lifts...)

Prior to that... I had 2 lagging games, where people would just teleport and where I got a Triple Kill assassination from smacking people in the face.

dwells

Minor quibbles aside ("These Covenant seem more fanatical than before!"), the opening of Halo 4's campaign is so strong. Cool set pieces, great atmosphere, intimidating non-English speaking Covenant, some of the best graphics of last gen, etc. It's a shame the rest of the campaign doesn't live up.

Minor quibbles aside ("These Covenant seem more fanatical than before!"), the opening of Halo 4's campaign is so strong. Cool set pieces, great atmosphere, intimidating non-English speaking Covenant, some of the best graphics of last gen, etc. It's a shame the rest of the campaign doesn't live up.

I wanted to explore Requiem not to follow an on rails campaign.

Shame the mission on the Infinity have some "complex" design with hidden paths and multilevel design to be destroyed into a use a vehicle and follow the road mission

daedalius

I wanted to explore Requiem not to follow an on rails campaign.

Shame the mission on the Infinity have some "complex" design with hidden paths and multilevel design to be destroyed into a use a vehicle and follow the road mission

If you want to explore alien worlds get metroid prime :p

Yea I wish we could have explored requiem more too :(

If you want to explore alien worlds get metroid prime :p

Yea I wish we could have explored requiem more too :(

No! fuck you!

#throwitintothesun #writingforgames

Still blows my mind that they destroyed such an interesting set-piece. They could have easily had it go into "slipspace lockdown" or some other space magicky shit, in case they wanted to use it again.

No! fuck you!

#throwitintothesun #writingforgames

Still blows my mind that they destroyed such an interesting set-piece. They could have easily had it go into "slipspace lockdown" or some other space magicky shit, in case they wanted to use it again.

It is almost like they know Halo 4 sucked so they want to destroy any evidence it existed.

jem0208

Halo 4 had such a fucking fantastic set up. Stranded on a mystery Forerunner planet. With weird Forerunner shit going down, crazy fanatical covenant and an AI which is slowly going mental. The first few levels of 4 are some of my favourite of the series from an atmosphere and story perspective. The potential was amazing.

Sadly they ruined it (well, maybe not ruined but made it far worse than it could have been) by introducing the Infinity so early. It completely removed that mystery aspect and feeling of loneliness. The game could have been so much better if it had been the Chief and Cortana stranded alone trying to discover what was going on in Requiem; who the Didact was and why the Covenant were so interested in him, looking for a way to escape. Had Cortana been your only companion throughout 4, her death would have been far more effective. It would have shown how truly alone the Chief is without her. Instead it has stupid fucking Palmer and Del Rio.

I really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign, I always enjoy playing Halo. However the potential that it squandered was absolutely massive and it could have been so, so much better.

Top Bottom