• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Halo 4 had such a fucking fantastic set up. Stranded on a mystery Forerunner planet. With weird Forerunner shit going down, crazy fanatical covenant and an AI which is slowly going mental. The first few levels of 4 are some of my favourite of the series from an atmosphere and story perspective. The potential was amazing.

Sadly they ruined it (well, maybe not ruined but made it far worse than it could have been) by introducing the Infinity so early. It completely removed that mystery aspect and feeling of loneliness. The game could have been so much better if it had been the Chief and Cortana stranded alone trying to discover what was going on in Requiem; who the Didact was and why the Covenant were so interested in him, looking for a way to escape. Had Cortana been your only companion throughout 4, her death would have been far more effective. It would have shown how truly alone the Chief is without her. Instead it has stupid fucking Palmer and Del Rio.

I really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign, I always enjoy playing Halo. However the potential that it squandered was absolutely massive and it could have been so, so much better.

Would've been cool if there was a level with no dialog where he was absolutely alone, wandering around Requiem searching to confront the Didact. Hopefully H5G will do that. Except for the Requiem part, obviously.

Fuchsdh

Minor quibbles aside ("These Covenant seem more fanatical than before!"), the opening of Halo 4's campaign is so strong. Cool set pieces, great atmosphere, intimidating non-English speaking Covenant, some of the best graphics of last gen, etc. It's a shame the rest of the campaign doesn't live up.

That line is random and kind of unwarranted, but I never got why people freaked out over the "a lot can happen in four years" line that's the only throwout of why we're fighting the Covenant. I guess I can see wishing there was more in-game as to why they were fighting, but that explanation makes perfect sense to me. You were allies mostly because of your battle-bro Arby and the alternative was getting wiped out by the Halo rings. Not the most stable alliance.

No! fuck you!

#throwitintothesun #writingforgames

Still blows my mind that they destroyed such an interesting set-piece. They could have easily had it go into "slipspace lockdown" or some other space magicky shit, in case they wanted to use it again.

Eh, they've still got Trevelyan aka the Forerunner installation that's the diameter of the distance from Earth to the sun. Plenty of time to explore that sucker if they wanted to introduce it to the games.

(Why they made it so large, I have no idea.)

jelly

Yeah, Chief and Cortana alone and exploring would have been way better and the risk 343 should have taken but I guess they couldn't make up for lack of UNSC equipment, marines etc. throughout. Would be neat if you just took the Warthog everywhere, terrible engine sound removed, how on earth did that make it into the game. No arsehole Spartans, eggheads etc. bliss. Then the game could end with the UNSC finding Chief after all those years...the hero returns.

Halo 4 had such a fucking fantastic set up. Stranded on a mystery Forerunner planet. With weird Forerunner shit going down, crazy fanatical covenant and an AI which is slowly going mental. The first few levels of 4 are some of my favourite of the series from an atmosphere and story perspective. The potential was amazing.

Sadly they ruined it (well, maybe not ruined but made it far worse than it could have been) by introducing the Infinity so early. It completely removed that mystery aspect and feeling of loneliness. The game could have been so much better if it had been the Chief and Cortana stranded alone trying to discover what was going on in Requiem; who the Didact was and why the Covenant were so interested in him, looking for a way to escape. Had Cortana been your only companion throughout 4, her death would have been far more effective. It would have shown how truly alone the Chief is without her. Instead it has stupid fucking Palmer and Del Rio.

I really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign, I always enjoy playing Halo. However the potential that it squandered was absolutely massive and it could have been so, so much better.
For me Halo 4's campaign has the least amount of BS levels among the main installments. I hate like half of CE, hate Sacred Icon and Regret in 2, hate Crow's Nest in 3.
Disclaimer: I don't hate any of the campaigns as a whole.

Yep, I know they wanted the Infinity included because Multiplayer is lore now (???), but to have it arrive, leave, then come back again seemed a little overdone.

Maybe... If they had to have it, it should have just come in late and stayed, backing up the chief on the final assault against the Didact only for the assault wave to get composed in the last push, leaving it 1v1 for the final battle.

SaganIsGOAT

For me Halo 4's campaign has the least amount of BS levels among the main installments. I hate like half of CE, hate Sacred Icon and Regret in 2, hate Crow's Nest in 3.

Crows nest Brutes encounters were awesome. That uphill fight towards that Chieften is glorious.

I think they should have been alone for the first 3rd or so of the game, start picking up survivors from other UNSC ships for the next third, and only have the Infinity arrive towards the end. Could have had a whole game of Halo (the CE level), but noooo.

only thing about CE I hated was the infinite flood spawning in certain hallways, makes level progression really tedious.

Fuchsdh

only thing about CE I hated was the infinite flood spawning in certain hallways, makes level progression really tedious.

There's actually no infinite* Flood spawns. Even the tidal wave of Flood designed to force you to fall into the coolant on "Keyes" can be survived and outlasted. Same with the monster closet hallways.

*The hangar area in Keyes is designed to keep spawning in reinforcements when you're in a trigger zone and you deplete enough enemies, but it will also end eventually.

Glass

Crows nest Brutes encounters were awesome. That uphill fight towards that Chieften is glorious.

Yeah, Brutes get a rough time because they were so bland in 2, but I've loved them since. The way their armour distinguished them in 3 was great, I love the chieftans with their brute hammers or plasma cannons, and the jet pack brutes were flying enemies done right. Killing one and watching his jetpack splutter and send him flying was great. Watchers or the flying bug enemies were infuriating to fight in contrast.

The start to 4 was great. It just weirdly downplayed certain beats, like the UNSC finding Chief, new Spartans (so downplayed I thought maybe I was missing something and we the player were meant to already know about them) and an enemy threat that basically spoke in riddles I understood so little. What's that you say, humans were a space fairing race 100,000 years ago? Can we stop a second and process that? No? Alrighty then.

Nowise10

Who is this guy exactly?

You're missing out if you don't know who Vic Deleon is. He has created the level terrain/enviroments for various missions. Worked at Bungie for Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, and Reach, and moved to 343i for Halo 4 and Halo 5. He was in The Sprint Halo 5 video series a lot, which if you haven't watched would actually give you some more details about what he does, and hes been in a lot of the vidocs for Halo.

Madness

Who is this guy exactly?

Read his Twitter bio. But Vic is a lead environment artist or something similar for 343i/Halo 5. He rarely tweets about Halo and didn't even work on MCC so no reason to expect something that was patch related.

Edit: He's also one of the few people, along with Frankie who worked at Bungie before transitioning to 343 to work on Halo.

jem0208

You're missing out if you don't know who Vic Deleon is. He has created the level terrain/enviroments for various missions. Worked at Bungie for Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, and Reach, and moved to 343i for Halo 4 and Halo 5. He was in The Sprint Halo 5 video series a lot, which if you haven't watched would actually give you some more details about what he does, and hes been in a lot of the vidocs for Halo.
Ohh, yeah I remember him from the Sprint.

Mix

First thing that popped in my head

While I'd be happy for him if it's something he wants to do, I'd be severely bummed out, he's been nothing short of a master of his craft for so long. I'd hate for another big name in Halo to no longer be a part of it anymore.

SaganIsGOAT

While I'd be happy for him if it's something he wants to do, I'd be severely bummed out, he's been nothing short of a master of his craft for so long. I'd hate for another big name in Halo to no longer be a part of it anymore.

He misses creating Flood sphincters.

200px-Porta_profile.jpg

Xbox One's new feedback option is just as broken as MCC. I haven't been able to submit any feedback despite a growing number of issues with the newest preview update.

Top Bottom