• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

You're implying that ONI has little significance in Halo's fiction, at least as it pertained to Halo 4 and may pertain to Halo 5, but I disagree with that. I believe ONI is an integral part to everything that's going on right now and I wouldn't be surprised if 343 dives into it more with Halo 5 on top of whatever else they have planned.

It may turn out to be too much for one game, but out of the question? I don't think so.

First chapter of New Blood done. And... huh.
- Buck, Romeo, and Mickey are Spartans
- on a mission to save Virgil and the girl from the ODST data packs from Rebels
- Romeo and Mickey turn out to be working for the Rebels at the end of the chapter.

Too early to decide if I dig the direction. Buck's tone is pretty good, but a few big words I can't see him saying. But I'm enjoying reading it so far.

Yeah, I'm interested. Depending on how they handle this, it could end up quite good; the Insurrectionists have always had more than a few legitimate beefs with the UNSC.

I actually really like Locke's character even if his implementation hasn't been exactly perfect so far. Rather than be luck-addled, genesong-fueled or destiny-bound, he started off as a normal dude with a normal career that eventually worked his way up the ranks thanks to actual hard work and dedication and specifically earned his position before being acquired by ONI, rather than just kind of falling in the middle of a galaxy-spanning space opera. I think the reason he also comes across as being pretty "middle-of-the-road" like in his neutral voice acting in the H2A cutscenes, etc. is because, well, he's an ONI agent and half the stuff he's learned would probably drive most people mad. He's just trying to play it safe, especially talking to a race humanity has an uneasy truce with, that is the Elites. I just see him as being a little more "pedestrian" because most other main Halo characters are usually all valiant caricatures - Chief and Cortana were snarky but still magically good at what they did and now he's all grimdark with Cortana dead, Johnson's basically Sergeant Apone, and so on. Locke seems like a pretty straightforward play on the Empowered Badass Normal trope, which isn't a bad thing.

Eh, if you'll never understand the complaint then I don't need to explain it I guess.

That makes perfect sense. Failproof argument, 8/8, gr8 st8ment m8

Akai__

Where did everyones avatar go?

And who are all these people with blank avatars?

NSFL

2qOYfeb.gif

Awesome.

tootsi666

- Romeo and Mickey turn out to be working for the Rebels at the end of the chapter.

Too early to decide if I dig the direction. Buck's tone is pretty good, but a few big words I can't see him saying. But I'm enjoying reading it so far.
It's out? I had completely forgotten about it. Buying it when I get home.

RBK

Banned
"I'll never understand" means that you already have your mind made up on it. I get it man, you love Halo 5. You think it'll be the greatest Halo since CE, to you ADS/Sprint/Spartan Abilities are great additions.

What does Sprint/ADS/Spartan Abilities have to do with a campaign I know nothing about? If that was suppose to make your argument more convincing, don't make me laugh please.

Just going off the other statements, I could easily just say you want a better voice actor for Locke and you'll enjoy the game more. Halo 2 isn't the first franchise to successfully pull off a new main protagonist, whether the Arbiter's role was universally loved is a different discussion altogether. I don't really think his storyline in H2 had that much of an impact on what Bungie wanted to accomplish as they still created a compelling campaign, one that I enjoyed over Halo 3 as well. Jury is still out for Halo 5, but my "already made up" mind feels like it's another silly gamer argument just for the fact that Halo isn't based off the Arbiter/Locke...if they still have a good campaign and story behind it, what should I really complain about?

Madness

What does Sprint/ADS/Spartan Abilities have to do with a campaign I know nothing about? If that was suppose to make your argument more convincing, don't make me laugh please.

Just going off the other statements, I could easily just say you want a better voice actor for Locke and you'll enjoy the game more. Halo 2 isn't the first franchise to successfully pull off a new main protagonist, whether the Arbiter's role was universally loved is a different discussion altogether. I don't really think his storyline in H2 had that much of an impact on what Bungie wanted to accomplish as they still created a compelling campaign, one that I enjoyed over Halo 3 as well. Jury is still out for Halo 5, but my "already made up" mind feels like it's another silly gamer argument just for the fact that Halo isn't based off the Arbiter/Locke...if they still have a good campaign and story behind it, what should I really complain about?

A new voice actor would help, but then again, maybe Colter will get better seeing as how Guardians will have much more expanded dialogue than his few cinematics in MCC. He just wasn't impressive. Though 343i writing has never been amazing. Look what they did with Jennifer Hale and gave us Palmer and her cringe worthy lines. It's more about the fact, I don't want Chief to be relegated to small fry in his own game. It's one thing with ODST, Reach, even Halo 2, but the rumors have been that it's a primarily Locke dominated campaign. I can appreciate the dual protagonist game play (I actually rank Halo 2 campaign quite low), but it's just I want to play as Master Chief just as much as I want to continue his story. Then again, I am putting the cart before the horse, I also know nothing about the campaign. It could be well done, maybe Arbiter also has some levels or is part of the Locke campaign.

Edit: I'm not necessarily saying Chief will always be the future of Halo. A campaign like Reach connected with me better than Halo 2 did. Other characters can and will be just as meaningful to the series.

A new voice actor would help, but then again, maybe Colter will get better seeing as how Guardians will have much more expanded dialogue than his few cinematics in MCC. He just wasn't impressive. Though 343i writing has never been amazing. Look what they did with Jennifer Hale and gave us Palmer and her cringe worthy lines. It's more about the fact, I don't want Chief to be relegated to small fry in his own game. It's one thing with ODST, Reach, even Halo 2, but the rumors have been that it's a primarily Locke dominated campaign. I can appreciate the dual protagonist game play (I actually rank Halo 2 campaign quite low), but it's just I want to play as Master Chief just as much as I want to continue his story. Then again, I am putting the cart before the horse, I also know nothing about the campaign. It could be well done, maybe Arbiter also has some levels or is part of the Locke campaign.

Halo 1-3 were Chief's games though. Give the guy a rest, he's saved the galaxy like 5 or 6 times now. Dude completely deserves taking a back seat from the space opera and letting other characters touch on more localized conflicts liie the Insurrection and general political subterfuge. It's like how Attack on Titan did it.

Palmer wasn't good, Coulter (so far) doesn't seem to be good, until 343 can write them well / get a good performance of them, they aren't replacing the Chief.

Their decision to go with him for 4 kind of locked him in for 5 & 6 anyway. Their big chance to breakaway was then.
What is Vic is leaving. :(
That was my guess yesterday, didn't know if I should say it or not.

Akai__

Palmer wasn't good, Coulter (so far) doesn't seem to be good, until 343 can write them well / get a good performance of them, they aren't replacing the Chief.

Their decision to go with him for 4 kind of locked him in for 5 & 6 anyway. Their big chance to breakaway was then.

I think he's a pretty interesting character, but he's the typical generic soldier so far. Trust and orders seem to be his main concern, but I think he's the one showing Chief that soldiers aren't machines.

Forget Halo 4's story with the Didact, because the story was about Chief questioning himself wether he's a human being or a machine and now that Cortana is gone, he can't answer the question. He was so helpless in the last Halo 4 cutscenes.

I hate every single aspect of that spoiler. God dammit. Hopefully they can write it off as a dream.

ElRenoRaven

I hate every single aspect of that spoiler. God dammit. Hopefully they can write it off as a dream.

Yea. I have no desire to read it now. Leave it to 343 and those they have writing for them to try and shit all over Characters Bungie created. Oh oh you liked them did you. We can't have that. I'd really hate to see what they would have done to Johnson had he been alive still.

Akai__

I have a strong feeling ODST 2 will never happen. All of them got replaced by stupid Spartan 4's...

Unless they travel back in time and make it somehow happen.

Wait, the
data pads
from Reach, or from ODST? Them being on a mission to
figure out just what the hell was going on with the Assembly from Reach's data pads would be a crazy awesome subplot. I also don't mind part of the squad being "rebels" considering the UNSC / ONI are up to all sorts of crazy shit now and the Haloverse has always had a very "us or them" spin to their factions. It's also clearly shown the Insurrectionists aren't just mindless, evil terrorists.

Wait, the
data pads
figure out just what the hell was going on with the Assembly from Reach's data pads would be a crazy awesome subplot. I also don't mind part of the squad being "rebels" considering the UNSC / ONI are up to all sorts of crazy shit now and the Haloverse has always had a very "us or them" spin to their factions. It's also clearly shown the Insurrectionists aren't just mindless, evil terrorists.

If it's about
Virgil and the girl,
I'm thinking ODST. Though some followup on
the Assembly
would be extremely cool as well.

Having (Bloodline spoilers)
Romeo as an enemy would be pretty cool. Dude's undoubtedly a good sniper and the human villains in Halo could always use a little more diversity.

I keep wondering why 343 is, frankly, atrocious at communicating with their fanbase.There is no way they dont know people want more info.

So why havent they?

Personally i think the real reason is marketing. When 343 releases a patch, announces a patch, talks about fixing the game, etc, MCC is the news for being broken. News sites start back writing if the game worked or how its still broken etc etc.

Waiting to release a giant patch keeps MCC out of the news cycle for as long as possible. Ideally, the only news people will read about it is "mcc works"

Fuchsdh

If it's about
Virgil and the girl,
the Assembly

And people talk about 343 shitting on Bungie's stuff, having all the events of the games orchestrated by slipspace-bound AI gods always struck me as an interesting move on Bungie's part.

So I was re-watching the Spartan Ops cutscenes on Halo Channel and this video showed up a couple of times in the loading period:

Anyone know where its from?

They did a number of custom "bumps" that kind of serve as station ids, if that makes any sense. Some of them are clips from existing media, and some were created just for Halo Channel bumps. I think this is one of the latter.

Anyone know why some clips from one's Upload Studio appear on Xboclips.com and some don't? I've tried saving the clips in U studio but it doesn't seem to have any affect. The clips that appear on xclips are seemingly random.

singhr1

They did a number of custom "bumps" that kind of serve as station ids, if that makes any sense. Some of them are clips from existing media, and some were created just for Halo Channel bumps. I think this is one of the latter.

Ah, that's what I was afraid of. I probably would have known about something that looks that cool. Thanks.

Anyone know why some clips from one's Upload Studio appear on Xboclips.com and some don't? I've tried saving the clips in U studio but it doesn't seem to have any affect. The clips that appear on xclips are seemingly random.

Is it just xboxclips.com? Try xboxdvr.com and see. Otherwise just upload it to OneDrive as a last resort.

Sometimes, after saving a clip, it won't show up on xboxclips.com right away.

Is it just xboxclips.com? Try xboxdvr.com and see. Otherwise just upload it to OneDrive as a last resort.

Sometimes, after saving a clip, it won't show up on xboxclips.com right away.

Didn't know about dvr.com so thanks. OneDrive has been laden with problems for me in the past, sometimes taking 10 minutes to get to 99% only to give an error message, sometimes uploading an empty folder.

The clips did eventually appear, thanks Gringo.

Didn't know about dvr.com so thanks. OneDrive has been laden with problems for me in the past, sometimes taking 10 minutes to get to 99% only to give an error message, sometimes uploading an empty folder.

The clips did eventually appear, thanks Gringo.

Really? I haven't had any OneDrive issues that substantial, but I've found downloading the desktop app helps. Uploading large amounts of files (I have like 225GB available and I'll usually upload in batches from 10-65GB) it'll hang sometimes, but pausing and then unpausing the sync alleviates it.

jem0208

Yea. I have no desire to read it now. Leave it to 343 and those they have writing for them to try and shit all over Characters Bungie created. Oh oh you liked them did you. We can't have that. I'd really hate to see what they would have done to Johnson had he been alive still.
How is this shitting on the characters? If anything it makes them far more interesting.

The humans in Bungie's games were all just good guys. We hear about insurrectionists in Reach but we never actually encounter them. It's always humans vs aliens and to be honest that's kinda boring. It's nice to see them giving the humans some actual depth like the covenant.

Wait, the
data pads

If it's about
Virgil and the girl,
the Assembly

Yeah sorry, the ODST ones. Don't remember what format they were in for the game, I thought it was data pads.

Karl2177

How is this shitting on the characters? If anything it makes them far more interesting.

The humans in Bungie's games were all just good guys. We hear about insurrectionists in Reach but we never actually encounter them. It's always humans vs aliens and to be honest that's kinda boring. It's nice to see them giving the humans some actual depth like the covenant.

Point missed. They're established characters. You don't just go changing them so it fits your narrative.

jem0208

Point missed. They're established characters. You don't just go changing them so it fits your narrative.
They're not established characters though. Like I said we know almost nothing about them. They're not changing anything if there was no character there in the first place.

It's quite nice to see some variety in the human characters instead of the completely one dimensional war hero types which has plagued the series so far.

Also, like Poodle says, it's not like characters can't change.

They're established, but that doesn't mean they're unchanging. It's not like they're going back and saying "oh yeah, these guys were
Spartans in ODST." They just joined the program at some point.

They're not established characters though. Like I said we know almost nothing about them. They're not changing anything if there was no character there in the first place.

It's quite nice to see some variety in the human characters instead of the completely one dimensional war hero types which has plagued the series so far.

I mostly agree, I think they are trying to set up a more complicated human conflict, which makes perfect sense given the "deep lore"
history of the insurrectionists
. However, I'm kind of incredulous that they are so shitty at testing
new Spartans that they're letting rebel sympathizers in.

People actually care about those ODST dudes that had maybe three lines of dialogue spread across them?

I couldn't have told you Buck's name, much less any of the other ones, but apparently...

Top Bottom