• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Someone just spoiled a bit of New Blood for me. Blah

Whole things sounds like a mess.

Book was amazing really well done and emotional.

Also halo 3 BR is trash that is all
hit scan all the way

In anticipation of the patch coming I started playing again (so I will have a base to compare). I was originally going to do a run through of all campaigns on Legendary, but I had held off when I heard about some of the checkpoint bugs. Also I didn't want my muscle memory to be completely destroyed by Destiny.

Since it had been a while I was pleasantly surprised to see Spartan Ops there (yes, I know you hate it, but I felt liked it improved as it went along and it scratched a firefight itch but with more diverse scenery (that I would have liked to revisit just a tad less). However I was then less than pleasantly disappointed that there was no matchmaking. Slogging through those by yourself is not fun, definitely a group activity and because the word egghead causes blood to run from the tear-ducts of others there is no way to convince anyone to play with me.

After having matchmaking for Reach I was also sad to see it missing, but that I never expected it for these campaigns, I would have just really liked it (as an option). Since I didn't want to get too invested I just decided on a normal run. Happily it has been working fine for me so far, just on Halo CE right now, Truth and Consequences, NM. I'm kind of enjoying just leisuring (totally a correct use of a word) through it, not sure I will do a legendary run now.

And then MP. I was one of those able to get games from the beginning, but even from that it has definitely improved, though that is obviously a loaded statement. I'm finding matches between 1-3 minutes and typically in the 90 second region, though still with the usual quirks. Can't tell for sure when it is dedicated or P2P. Getting the beep countdown about 70% of the time, but I believe that isn't a reliable indicator anymore? Some games feel great, some it is hard to tell if that is the game code screwing me or network issues or maybe I'm just bad. Only had one game that started off-balance this week, but it was 3v5. And even still, there are still quitters and AFK, though maybe they are having network issues and I shouldn't be so hard on them.

When everything is working though - it seems like the server is dedicated, as well as the teams, nobody is quitting, nobody is being an idiot - this game just scratches an itch that no other does. I'm seeing also now why some people hated Halo 2 coming from CE. I like them both (I actually like all the game's MP, but I see them as distinct game modes as opposed to there being a one true halo). I could understand the arguments being made, but it is interesting feeling those differences now (and I know this isn't exactly the same as when you were a pro playing on a LAN with your ladies and your house made of money, because they used the inferior and terrible PC port and everything is broken anyway). It hasn't diminished how I feel about any of the other ones, but I'm really glad I'm able to play this now, even if it is not yet perfect.

I really hope they get this perfect, although I'm not even sure exactly what that looks like anymore. I keep seeing the 'is it fixed yet?' messages, but I wonder what that even means. I know what 'good enough' means for me and that is a fair bit off from what we have now, but it probably doesn't match up to the lists of others.

I hope there is some postmortem on the main issues they faced. It seems like there are people who want to know who to blame, but I really want to know what the underlying (code) issues were.

GT: deltaunithink I will play SPOP any time you are up for it and im home

Needs to bolded and underlined at the top of the first post of each and every HaloGAF thread henceforth.

Seriously lol I have been playing alot of MCC mostly halo 2, halo 2a, halo 4, a little halo CE(prefer 4 v 4 or higher Personally) , and just played the 1st halo 3 game in a long time(since right after the halo 5 beta) and it totally sucks.The movements to sluggish, the net code sucks, the BR is trash, customs might far better but really nostalgia is a bitch lol.

Also Why is it when ever im on the place is slow a molasses and when i not all the Conversations happen,

People must really dislike me lol

You guys just don't understand Halo 3 with your arrogance, typing opinions as though they're fact. You must have just been trash at it.

Go play CE you elitist jerknerds.

In anticipation of the patch coming I started playing again (so I will have a base to compare). I was originally going to do a run through of all campaigns on Legendary, but I had held off when I heard about some of the checkpoint bugs. Also I didn't want my muscle memory to be completely destroyed by Destiny.

Since it had been a while I was pleasantly surprised to see Spartan Ops there (yes, I know you hate it, but I felt liked it improved as it went along and it scratched a firefight itch but with more diverse scenery (that I would have liked to revisit just a tad less). However I was then less than pleasantly disappointed that there was no matchmaking. Slogging through those by yourself is not fun, definitely a group activity and because the word egghead causes blood to run from the tear-ducts of others there is no way to convince anyone to play with me.

After having matchmaking for Reach I was also sad to see it missing, but that I never expected it for these campaigns, I would have just really liked it (as an option). Since I didn't want to get too invested I just decided on a normal run. Happily it has been working fine for me so far, just on Halo CE right now, Truth and Consequences, NM. I'm kind of enjoying just leisuring (totally a correct use of a word) through it, not sure I will do a legendary run now.

And then MP. I was one of those able to get games from the beginning, but even from that it has definitely improved, though that is obviously a loaded statement. I'm finding matches between 1-3 minutes and typically in the 90 second region, though still with the usual quirks. Can't tell for sure when it is dedicated or P2P. Getting the beep countdown about 70% of the time, but I believe that isn't a reliable indicator anymore? Some games feel great, some it is hard to tell if that is the game code screwing me or network issues or maybe I'm just bad. Only had one game that started off-balance this week, but it was 3v5. And even still, there are still quitters and AFK, though maybe they are having network issues and I shouldn't be so hard on them.

When everything is working though - it seems like the server is dedicated, as well as the teams, nobody is quitting, nobody is being an idiot - this game just scratches an itch that no other does. I'm seeing also now why some people hated Halo 2 coming from CE. I like them both (I actually like all the game's MP, but I see them as distinct game modes as opposed to there being a one true halo). I could understand the arguments being made, but it is interesting feeling those differences now (and I know this isn't exactly the same as when you were a pro playing on a LAN with your ladies and your house made of money, because they used the inferior and terrible PC port and everything is broken anyway). It hasn't diminished how I feel about any of the other ones, but I'm really glad I'm able to play this now, even if it is not yet perfect.

I really hope they get this perfect, although I'm not even sure exactly what that looks like anymore. I keep seeing the 'is it fixed yet?' messages, but I wonder what that even means. I know what 'good enough' means for me and that is a fair bit off from what we have now, but it probably doesn't match up to the lists of others.

I hope there is some postmortem on the main issues they faced. It seems like there are people who want to know who to blame, but I really want to know what the underlying (code) issues were.

TrC sucks. Whole state is iffy imo

isaiahpmarshall

Neo Member
Halo: Spartan Assault for best BR in a Halo game.

EDIT: I'm so fed up with the map and game mode selection in TMCC playlists that I might just make a GIANT outline stating..
Which game modes should be available for which maps
Which maps and game modes should be available for which playlists
Which games should be available for which playlist (SPOILER:
all games in all playlists, aside from dedicated game playlists
)

Player and party toggles for maps and gametypes is the answer to so many issues such as quitting while simultaneously making experiences better through experience/skill matching too.

Random thought for the day...I really really really want coop on dedis for H5 campaign, with the ability to select your DC
and firefight style mode if it's there too

Obscured

TrC sucks. Whole state is iffy imo

Sorry for the bad pun, Truth and Reconciliation just reminded me of that city which always makes me laugh(I have never been there). I do like Santa Fe though, Taos is boring, but there is good green chile everywhere, so it has that.

Also, halo.

Random thought for the day...I really really really want coop on dedis for H5 campaign, with the ability to select your DC
and firefight style mode if it's there too

Yes, I think this should always be an option. I've actually met some cool people in some games just playing with Randoms.

RowdyReverb

Nice write up. Sums up a lot of my feelings about the collection. While it has been working well enough for me lately, I get that a lot of people are still having trouble. I'm hoping that the big CU really fixes things and those people give it a second chance, because it really is an amazing thing they
almost
put together in MCC.

Any one up for Some MCC Add me
GT deltaunithink, just sitting waiting for players

H3 BR isn't a gun, it's a damn slot machine. Screw that noise.
For real it kind of ridiculous

No. Hit scan is silly. Okay, yes. 10 years ago while we were using shitty P2P the Halo 3 BR shouldn't have been a thing. But now that we have dedicated servers? It should absolutely be brought back.

Definitely think Hit scan is better all around

Sorry for the bad pun, Truth and Reconciliation just reminded me of that city which always makes me laugh(I have never been there). I do like Santa Fe though, Taos is boring, but there is good green chile everywhere, so it has that.

Also, halo.

Taos exists solely for rich, retired white people. Santa Fe is rad, and I can deal with ABQ. Cruces ain't bad, but I've only been down there a handful of times.

Uh.. idk Halo. United Republic of North America. There, I'm on topic.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Taos exists solely for rich, retired white people. Santa Fe is rad, and I can deal with ABQ. Cruces ain't bad, but I've only been down there a handful of times.

Uh.. idk Halo. United Republic of North America. There, I'm on topic.

I realize it's cheesy and horrible but I love Sedona. or at least the surrounding landscape.

However the tribal speed traps are an affront to god.

So how long is the certification process on average? Is it weeks or days? I don't think I've booted my bone since december, I'm probably due for a ton of system updates

Top Bottom