• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

heart-attack.jpg

my god o_O

TheXbox

It's easy to know what's happening in CS or LoL/Dota even if you're a casual fan. Halo is faster paced and there is no spectator mode.
Really? Halo is just an FPS. Even starts, small maps, simple objectives. LOL and Dota have dozens of characters, a billion abilities, a billion different builds. I never have any idea what's going on when I watch it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Dunno, this series has been a lot more exciting than any Dota I've ever watched.
MOBAs by their very nature are more pleasant for spectators to watch. Halo is pretty bad in that regard. From a spectator point of view it's chaotic, fast and hard to follow. You can make it a bit easier to follow by adding visual aids like a minimap and player outlines, but even then I don't think the way Halo plays really lends itself well to being watched.

Ghazi

MOBAs by their very nature are more pleasant for spectators to watch. Halo is pretty bad in that regard. From a spectator point of view it's chaotic, fast and hard to follow. You can make it a bit easier to follow by adding visual aids like a minimap and player outlines, but even then I don't think the way Halo plays really lends itself well to being watched.

The spectator mode CoD created is a good example of how to make it more accessible for viewers. CS: GO does it better, though, I wouldn't be against a full copy paste of that system.

Also, damn, back at 18k viewers so quickly.

RSB

Banned
Really? Halo is just an FPS. Even starts, small maps, simple objectives. LOL and Dota have dozens of characters, a billion abilities, a billion different builds. I never have any idea what's going on when I watch it.
Agreed.

That match was crazy BTW. I was like "we are here forever" LOL. Anyway, it's good to see Ogre 2 (the GOAT) in the Championship match.

Fuchsdh

Speaking from my POV, Dota 2 and RTS like StarCraft are far easier to follow because you have a top-down view, and can see multiple actors on screen at once. Also since they are much more about pushing across maps and territory, it's easier to view the status of a match at a moment's glance (whereas the best thing you have in Halo is score.)

A spectator mode with additional details would help, but for me the FPS is always going to be worse for eSports. It's like trying to follow a game of football from a series of headcams on players.

Top Bottom