• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

As far as I know it's just conjecture. It's simply too cool not to do.

Cool.

On an only slightly related note, I like the design of the H5 pistol and I like the weapon balance in the game. AR/Pistol combo feels useful again. Sure have BR starts all you want in the pro games, but for casual, I love AR/Pistol starts with BR/DMR on map. I hope I get to play a lot of it.

HTupolev

I don't know but H2A looks better than Sunset Overdrive (900p) for me.
That's not terribly surprising. Developers choose anamorphic formats like H2A's because it resolves detail better with respect to a desired axis (in this case vertical), and single-axis scaling can potentially result in less artifacts related to pixel alignment.

I hate the way CEA sounds in general, especially the Pistol. I only played it for a co op session over a weekend with a friend, but after seeing the remastering they did, I was turned off big time.

OG Xbox Halo CE on my Sony Trinitron Cadillac CRT is the way to go.
76513-Clint-Eastwood-YES-head-nod-gi-nzlE.gif

-Ryn

Banned
Palmer needs to let dat hair down
Not sure her current hair length would frame her face well but it'd look better lol

Kat on the other hand...
doesn't even need the length

I think they did a pretty poor job. They lengthened its silhouette and emphasized the front geometry to give it a more punchy visual kick, along with disrupting the rolling rhythm of the sound. Feels less fluid to shoot in CEA, really lacks the amazing cadence of the original.
Perhaps it's been too long since I played Anniversary. Upon further inspection the silhouette does seem stretched.

Can't seem to find a good side shot of the Anniversary M6D...

M6DMagnumPistol-transparent.png

off the top of my head:

Halo 3 forge and custom game types are borked
File share is MIA
Halo 3 maps are running on launch variants
Halo 4 is running on pre-balance update version
Ranks are missing from all but one playlist
Lots of maps seem to never be in rotation
Armor is limited to sets

hopefully these get addressed.
Game is stable though, decided to get with the times and get my motley crew together and wreck shop in halo 4.
Ah I see. I'd say the H3 Forge and Armor are the biggest issues amongst that list (aside from playlist updates and general glitchery).

Mix

Just wrapped Reclaimer Radio Episode 5, Gringo did very well in his first episode. Look out for that tomorrow/Wednesday. Feeling pretty good about the future of our team, and if you enjoy the content we've put out so far then you'll enjoy what else we have in store.
Incase you want the links:
Youtube
Twitter
website

TheXbox

Just wrapped Reclaimer Radio Episode 5, Gringo did very well in his first episode. Look out for that tomorrow/Wednesday. Feeling pretty good about the future of our team, and if you enjoy the content we've put out so far then you'll enjoy what else we have in store.
Incase you want the links:
Youtube
Twitter
website
I'll give this a listen tomorrow. Looking forward to it

off the top of my head:

File share is MIA
Armor is limited to sets

There's also completely missing armor and weapon skins for Halo 4. Hopefully they add that stuff back in and make armor combinations possible.

Just as we remembered it...right.

off the top of my head:

File share is MIA
Halo 4 is d on pre-balance update version
Armor is limited to sets

Game is stable though, decided to get with the times and get my motley crew together and wreck shop in halo 4.

There's also completely missing armor and weapon skins for Halo 4. Hopefully they add that stuff back in and make armor combinations possible.

Just as we remembered it...right.

Also missing:
<> after mach lobby to either chat, make friends or roll into the next game
<> be able to join or invite players into a custom game that already started.

daedalius

off the top of my head:

File share is MIA
Armor is limited to sets

Pretty sure h4 is running the turbo update currently

willow ve

off the top of my head:

File share is MIA
Armor is limited to sets

Aren't spawns broken in H:CE and H2C? Or is that just the way those games are?

RowdyReverb

The Halo 4 playlist is turbo, but are all Halo 4 game types in each playlist turbo?
Not sure about all of them, but every H4 game I've played has had on-map power weapon spawns and I have yet to see Infinity Slayer on there. I also feel like I've seen Legendary BRs as an option, but I'm not positive. Is that what you mean?

dwells

Last time I played Halo 4 was like 3 days ago and Objective Gametypes aren't running in Turbo. There's no red X's and BR isn't 4 shot.
Yeah, I played BTB a day or two ago and noticed the BR wasn't four shot. So looks like they haven't updated it to turbo.

Tawpgun

This is coming from someone who adored Halo CE on PC (which was my first experience of it) I played competetively too with clan matches and whatnot....

I don't like the feel of CE on MCC. I'd vote for it above Ar/SMG starts but that's about it. It's the damn pistol. It feels wonky to me. Like I'd get into strafing shootouts and it feels like w crapshoot as to who would win sometimes. I think it's too powerful and easy to use. Only reason it was good for me in PC was because aiming was harder with that netcode.

Idk... Just not a big fan.

dwells

This is coming from someone who adored Halo CE on PC (which was my first experience of it) I played competetively too with clan matches and whatnot....

I don't like the feel of CE on MCC. I'd vote for it above Ar/SMG starts but that's about it. It's the damn pistol. It feels wonky to me. Like I'd get into strafing shootouts and it feels like w crapshoot as to who would win sometimes. I think it's too powerful and easy to use. Only reason it was good for me in PC was because aiming was harder with that netcode.

Idk... Just not a big fan.
Shot registration is just really inconsistent and it seems like the hitboxes and magnetism have been bumped up and combined with client-side hit detection to make up for wonky underlying netcode. So as a result, a lot of pistol combat becomes spray and pray, which is a damn shame.

It's certainly not the same game Halo on Xbox LAN was.

mcrommert

Banned
Shot registration is just really inconsistent and it seems like the hitboxes and magnetism have been bumped up and combined with client-side hit detection to make up for wonky underlying netcode. So as a result, a lot of pistol combat becomes spray and pray, which is a damn shame.

It's certainly not the same game Halo on Xbox LAN was.

Of course it isn't as good as lan...there is no lag in lan and the pistol is heavily dependent on lag. I will say that it is miles better than the pc halo ever was and it works very well on hit registration. Just slightly lead the target and you'll have them down faster than the br

CE in TMCC works fine. Tawpgun doesn't play it and probably hasn't given it a serious shot to get gud

To anyone else who's wondering, hit registration is fine imo, unless your connection is acting up? Seems more or less the same weapon as I've always used honestly, so never really got the complaints of "Pistol doesn't work and is inconsistent" while at the same time saying "It's really easy to use and dong with" lol. And what's this about it being more difficult on PC because of the spotty netcode and hit registration? By that logic, Halo 3's netcode+hit detection and its BR during 2007-2010 lead to the most skillful Halo that's ever existed.

dwells

CE in TMCC works fine. Tawpgun doesn't play it and probably hasn't given it a serious shot to get gud

To anyone else who's wondering, hit registration is fine imo, unless your connection is acting up? Seems more or less the same weapon as I've always used honestly, so never really got the complaints of "Pistol doesn't work and is inconsistent" while at the same time saying "It's really easy to use and dong with" lol. And what's this about it being more difficult on PC because of the spotty netcode and hit registration? By that logic, Halo 3's netcode+hit detection and its BR during 2007-2010 lead to the most skillful Halo that's ever existed.
It works well enough to play, but I think it could definitely use more tuning. Maybe once (if) dedicated servers start working consistently it'll be better.

As for the dichotomy between the whole "pistol is too easy" and "it's inconsistent" thing, it's possible for the two to co-exist. It seems to me at least that hitboxes and/or magnetism have gotten a buff, so I've had a lot of shots connect that I feel like shouldn't have. At the same time, there's a lot of shots that should have connected that didn't, due to the netcode acting up.

Part of my problem is that I played a lot of Halo CE on LAN back in the day. Tournaments and all that jazz. I didn't really bother with XBC all that much and I gave up on Halo PC pretty quickly. So my benchmark for how the game is supposed to play is higher than we're ever going to see on Xbox Live, I think.

PNut

Banned
The pistol in CE has always been inconsistent and boring. Just like the MP in the game. 343 shouldn't waste anymore time or resources on that port.

Yeah the Magnum in MCC CE is super easy to use, doesn't require much effort or thought while aiming. Just 3 shot melt kids all day shooting in their general direction. Not sure where the much trumpeted slickness of movement is supposed to be either, feels like a couple of anchors tied round the ankles. The jumping is just pathetic, like 300 ms firefight levels of input lag on it. Not sure how much of the above is an MCC thing, Haven't LAN'd CE since about 2003.

Still if I had my way I'd only play CE and H3 in MCC.

If said weapon doesn't function properly when being used (ie: the reticle forcing itself away from enemies, shots not registering, etc.), it is then not an easy thing to use.

How can you destroy people with a weapon that "doesn't work" lol? The comparison made to Halo PC in terms of skill, with poor netcode and excessive shot-leading being factors in determining skill, was what I commenting on too, so you're right with LAN and that experience being different.

EDIT:
The pistol in CE has always been inconsistent and boring. Just like the MP in the game. 343 shouldn't waste anymore time or resources on that port.
3/10

I should note that the Pistol was never a crazy difficult weapon to use, but compared to the rest of the weapons in Halo's sandbox it was. 3sk's in TMCC are still not commonplace, although it does feel a bit easier.

Leyasu

Banned
Here is something I'd prefer not to have to deal with in Halo at all, ever thanks. A known cheater to my regular party of Halo guys'n'gals since Halo 4, which we've reported and avoided back in the 360 days of Halo 4, once again appears to be right at it cheating throughout MCC P2P games. Really in 2015 we're still dealing with assclowns that cheat to win, repeatedly for years and don't get banned? We've all submitted blocks, reports and even submitted clips to the xbox cheating form service too.

At any rate the usual network manipulation is at work here for the benefit of their team. We literally didn't spawn until or start the game for most of the match. The game before this one they cheated too.

9zO41zq.gif

IMO here's an example of why players get so shitty about dedis, especially regional ones. This is two parties of Aussie making up 8 out of 10 players (didn't check if they other 2 randoms are Aussie) and we're still put into a P2P game to get cheated. You've done the job of matching the parties, happy with skill matching for parties (would have liked a legit go at a 31 thanks), found the game quickly, got an objective vote over slayer but it falls down being P2P and allowing cheaters to run rampant in matchmaking.

Please for the love of the sacred rings have H5 ALL or select an Azure DC as well as OPT OUT of P2P fallback at all. I/we literally do NOT want to play Halo on P2P anymore. Throw up a Platinum XBL service and let me lease a VPS thanks, I'll guarantee to fill it up and let Aussie players/parties use it 24/7. The fine folks over at ACL would love it, my friends would love it, christ I'd approach the local press even :)

You get the point. #ExactlyHowIRememberHalo2Online

p2p after all the dedicated server fanfare.. 343 should hang their heads in shame.

Especially after confirming that halo 5 will not have a p2p fallback, and we can at last chose the datacenter where we matchmake!

Tawpgun

I gave it serious shots. I wanted to relive the magic but the game plays wildly different than what I remember in PC.

I feel its inconsistent because to me it seems completley random whether I get the 3SK or or need more shots. In Halo 2 onward I KNEW when I was hitting them in the head and and when I'd be getting that crispy 4 shot.

But at the same time, the gun is insanely powerful. People can luck out on a spammy 3 shot that makes it feel like faster TTK reach firefights. Or they just get the body shots in super quick. I thought aiming in Halo CE was supposed to be difficult because of the lack of auto aim and magnetism but it seems that there's loads of it in CE. Maybe not the curving bullets of the online games but it feels super easy to keep your reticle on a dude.

And out of every game in MCC I think shooting in Halo 3 with precision weapons is the most difficult out of all the games.

Other things I don't like about CE:
Ice Skating movement.
The jump sucks
Grenades are so fucking annoying and powerful
Spawns blow

But that was a problem even in PC.

I wanted to like it. I just find the other Halo's save maybe Infinity 4 to be more fun and consistent.

RowdyReverb

Last time I played Halo 4 was like 3 days ago and Objective Gametypes aren't running in Turbo. There's no red X's and BR isn't 4 shot.

Yeah, I played BTB a day or two ago and noticed the BR wasn't four shot. So looks like they haven't updated it to turbo.
I took this clip in a BTB Slayer game a month ago. 4 shot BR is definitely in, at least in that game type.
10mb gif
Original Clip @0:13
That GIF is murdering this page.
Fixed, sorry. Any way to shrink gifs from xboxclips.com to imgur converter?

jem0208

I gave it serious shots. I wanted to relive the magic but the game plays wildly different than what I remember in PC.

I feel its inconsistent because to me it seems completley random whether I get the 3SK or or need more shots. In Halo 2 onward I KNEW when I was hitting them in the head and and when I'd be getting that crispy 4 shot.

But at the same time, the gun is insanely powerful. People can luck out on a spammy 3 shot that makes it feel like faster TTK reach firefights. Or they just get the body shots in super quick. I thought aiming in Halo CE was supposed to be difficult because of the lack of auto aim and magnetism but it seems that there's loads of it in CE. Maybe not the curving bullets of the online games but it feels super easy to keep your reticle on a dude.

And out of every game in MCC I think shooting in Halo 3 with precision weapons is the most difficult out of all the games.

Other things I don't like about CE:
Ice Skating movement.
The jump sucks
Grenades are so fucking annoying and powerful
Spawns blow

But that was a problem even in PC.

I wanted to like it. I just find the other Halo's save maybe Infinity 4 to be more fun and consistent.
I agree completely. The pistol just feels weirdly inconsistent. Especially at long ranges. BTB CE doesn't feel great at all.

I took this clip in a BTB Slayer game a month ago. 4 shot BR is definitely in, at least in that game type.
Original Clip
That GIF is murdering this page.

daedalius

I've played BTB where I swear it was 4 shot, and other games where it doesn't seem like it is.

So who knows, it might not be updated on a per-gametype basis for some (which seems crazy)

Karl2177

Pull CE from the TS playlist except Boarding Action and a couple others. Have the CE playlist be 2v2 and have all maps except Blood Gulch, subpar Avalanche with flamethrowers, Boarding Action, and those big ass PC maps.

dwells

I've played BTB where I swear it was 4 shot, and other games where it doesn't seem like it is.

So who knows, it might not be updated on a per-gametype basis for some (which seems crazy)
Weird. Maybe it was a bad connection or something. I just switched over to the DMR and went to dongtown with it.

Can someone fill me in on what happens with halo 4a MP? I played it pretty fairly consistently up until the first set of DLC. To me it was kind of ruined by ordinance drops and some of the abilities/loadouts however I have yet to see an ordinance drop on the 10 or so games I've played. Did they cut them from the game? Or am I missing something...

I'm having a blast with halo 4s MP. Team snipers on halo 4 is amazing and so is BR slayer. The BR packs a punch unlike no other in that game.

Tawpgun

Pull CE from the TS playlist except Boarding Action and a couple others. Have the CE playlist be 2v2 and have all maps except Blood Gulch, subpar Avalanche with flamethrowers, Boarding Action, and those big ass PC maps.

I'd probably do CE more if it was 1 v 1 or 2 v 2.

We did 3 v 3 on prisoner and I was getting spawn fucked.

jem0208

Can someone fill me in on what happens with halo 4a MP? I played it pretty fairly consistently up until the first set of DLC. To me it was kind of ruined by ordinance drops and some of the abilities/loadouts however I have yet to see an ordinance drop on the 10 or so games I've played. Did they cut them from the game? Or am I missing something...

I'm having a blast with halo 4s MP. Team snipers on halo 4 is amazing and so is BR slayer. The BR packs a punch unlike no other in that game.

Ordnance Drops are out of the game it appears. Infinity Slayer is basically just normal Slayer with loadouts now. I'm really enjoying it too. Probably my favourite MP on the MCC actually, maybe tied with H2C.

Top Bottom