• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Is there a possibility that Halo 5 ships at 720? I hope they can at least hit 900, at the very least the HUD should be 1080. You can say the IQ was fine in the beta, but to me it's a pretty noticeable difference from 720 to 1080.

I really, really doubt it. I think they'd push out a few extra p's if only for PR purposes, but I'm fairly comfortable wagering on 1080pr or dynamic res, like Reverb suggested.

Is there a possibility that Halo 5 ships at 720? I hope they can at least hit 900, at the very least the HUD should be 1080. You can say the IQ was fine in the beta, but to me it's a pretty noticeable difference from 720 to 1080.

Man, I hope not, I'm not a resolution nazi by any means but I would be kinda disappointed if MS top franchise can't at least hit that 900p mark. That being said, I am totally cool with a non-1080p tradeoff if that means we get more expansive battlegrounds rather than the often quite linear corridor-shooter flavor of H4. It fakes not being a total corridor shooter pretty well, but really seemed to lack that interesting AI working in big open spaces ingredient that made the emergent elements of classic Halo campaigns so compelling.

I know that I am a minority in this but for my money, I crave a real home run of a campaign versus whatever precise collection of disparate multi prefs that the community demands. Can't please everyone, ya heard?

Y'all won't see me dipping my toes in the sprint/no sprint or ADS waters much.

So, are we still doing the internet dick measuring?

4201315233.png

My download speed was closer to 61 but I guess this doesn't do averages.

Leyasu

Banned

No way 720p. As others have said, they will go the 1080pr route.. Imagine the uproar? They will want to avoid as much of that as possible..

Anyway, BTB tonight. Either glorious local dedicated servers or games on the other side of the hemisphere.. Come on 343. There is no consistency to the experience. It's either great or terrible.

I can't see Halo 5 staying at 720p. BFH is 720p/60 and people are at an uproar about that. It'll be 900p at the very least. Probably that funky sub 1080p with any luck.

Just got to wait for Digital Foundry to have a crack at the Halo 5 campaign trailer that's all but assure to be at E3

RBK

Banned
What's better? 900p or 1280x1080?

I'll give Hardline a pass since it's a spinoff, but if Battlefront 3 or BF5 come out to that same resolution, then we have reasons to complain.

Anyway, BTB tonight. Either glorious local dedicated servers or games on the other side of the hemisphere.. Come on 343. There is no consistency to the experience. It's either great or terrible.

I haven't actually played MCC since the big patch released. Hype balloon pretty much popped after the beta, plus I bought Wolfenstein on Ebay and have been eating that shit UP.

What I see is that the patch clearly got us to an acceptable, if still uneven baseline, but is the lack of consistency because the population is relatively small or because… um, shit still needs to be patched?

I don't know what a Nomot Ion Tracker even is, which Pistol?, and I think we can all agree, we are all go for #butts. Emotionally at least.

No Motion Tracker is the true movement of the people. And... idk lets say Halo 5 pistol.

I have now seen it all. Orbital BRs chosen over Midship BRs.

I need to go check the temperature in Hell. A girl might owe me a date.

I'll give Hardline a pass since it's a spinoff, but if Battlefront 3 or BF5 come out to that same resolution, then we have reasons to complain.

Wasn't BF4 the same resolution as BFH? I have little faith BF3 will be any better, especially since it'll have a LOT more going on than a crappy Payday 2 clone.

jem0208

900p has slightly more pixels than 1280*1080. However H2A runs at 1328*1080 which is slighty more that 900p. These differences are pretty small though.

Leyasu

Banned
I haven't actually played MCC since the big patch released. Hype balloon pretty much popped after the beta, plus I bought Wolfenstein on Ebay and have been eating that shit UP.

What I see is that the patch clearly got us to an acceptable, if still uneven baseline, but is the lack of consistency because the population is relatively small or because… um, shit still needs to be patched?

Oh it works better than before. But yeah there's still room for improvement..

Had a really odd glitch yesterday in Halo 4 on Adrift. As I grabbed overshield I melee'd an enemy player and some how I was phased into the middle of the map. Had to sit there for the rest of the game until my team lost. It seems like the glitch on complex that they eventually patched where you could jump in the wall.

Never been hit so hard I fell through the floor though lol

http://xboxclips.com/Munch+pokeballs/61c4c8d3-0023-4f0a-8e32-f01f4079091e

Weird, but you could of grenade suicide.

No Motion Tracker is the true movement of the people. And... idk lets say Halo 5 pistol.

H5 Pistol was alright, but if we are starting with BRs whats the point? No Motion Tracker is deep water for people better at multi than me, but objectively, I dig the notion.

Games have gotten super hand-hold-y and maybe yanking that motion tracker would be the most hardcore thing you could do. I mean it's de rigeur for everything else, it would be a statement of competitive intent if you lost it.

Guys like me would just be chum in the water without it though.

DJ Gunner

Anyone seeing jerky player movement in CE MP ever since the patch? It doesn't seem to affect hit detection (unless it's really bad, which I've seen a few times). Before, everyone looked like they glided across the ground, now everyone stutters.

RBK

Banned
Wasn't BF4 the same resolution as BFH? I have little faith BF3 will be any better, especially since it'll have a LOT more going on than a crappy Payday 2 clone.

Yeah it was, but it's a launch title...and somehow Hardline looks worse. I'm sure Battlefront will be an improvement in some way, even if it's not resolution wise.

900p has slightly more pixels than 1280*1080. However H2A runs at 1328*1080 which is slighty more that 900p. These differences are pretty small though.

1280x1080 I think was Advanced Warfare resoultion on XB1, so I was using that. H2A campaign looks pretty damn good so I would be more than happy if Guardians is even close to that.

Mix

I would definitely be down with the CE pistol being a legendary weapon in Halo 5. Also, Chief's AR with 60 rounds.

What else?
Prophet's Bane
OG Rocket Launcher
Keyes Pistol
Chief's AR
Tartarus' Gravity Hammer

I think the 1328x1080 thing is actually pretty brilliant, in hindsight: having a "perfect" resolution in one axis means there aren't any "horizontal jaggies," and considering Halo is a predominantly horizontal game not accounting for things like jetpacks, it retains clarity in the axis most important to it.

Mix

Hey guys, how much do you guys wanna bet that the campaign snippet we see at E3 will be an early level playthrough similar to Halo 4's debut but from Locke's perspective.

Ooooooo, Mix, yep for sure. It'll allude to Chief in some mysterious and portentious way, but also give them a chance to show off any new gameplay mechanisms or abilities as well as shill the new character.

HTupolev

I think the 1328x1080 thing is actually pretty brilliant, in hindsight: having a "perfect" resolution in one axis means there aren't any "horizontal jaggies," and considering Halo is a predominantly horizontal game not accounting for things like jetpacks, it retains clarity in the axis most important to it.
1328x1080 has less horizontal clarity (and worse horizontal aliasing) than 1600x900. 1328 samples for each line on that axis versus 1600. For instance, that's why stuff like the side edges of buildings wobble a lot in H2A compared with classic mode.

Hey guys, how much do you guys wanna bet that the campaign snippet we see at E3 will be an early level playthrough similar to Halo 4's debut but from Locke's perspective.

I think they go with a segment with Chief so people aren't worried about the franchise icon being at the side.

Maybe they'll announce a BTB beta at the E3 press conference that's available "right now!" Oh how I wish...

jem0208

For some reason I just completely suck at the game.

I don't suck at any of the other Halos though...

Halo 4 is usually dong time, as is Halo 2 Classic. Halo 3 I play pretty damn well after a few matches. Halo Reach I was fine with. Halo 5 I usually destroyed people. I even play well in HCE.

I just can't seem to do anything in H2A and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

My money's on the first H5G mission shown off being a Locke mission that culminates in Locke finally getting to Chief, but it cuts off before we find out what Locke's actually going to do to him.

1328x1980 has less horizontal clarity (and worse horizontal aliasing) than 1600x900. 1328 samples for each line on that axis versus 1600. For instance, that's why stuff like the side edges of buildings wobble a lot in H2A compared with classic mode.

Wait, is classic Halo 2 campaign still 1080p? For some reason I thought it was 1328p, same as H2A.

AlStrong

1328x1080 has less horizontal clarity (and worse horizontal aliasing) than 1600x900. 1328 samples for each line on that axis versus 1600. For instance, that's why stuff like the side edges of buildings wobble a lot in H2A compared with classic mode.

I wonder if their cinematics will stick to the 2.35 ratio (H3/H4) or if they'll go with even bigger black bars (1920*750 = 1600x900).

I suppose temporal reprojection AA could help if they do it right.

Would be interesting to know if they went with a forward+ variant. "Cheap" 2xMSAA would help.

Wait, is classic Halo 2 campaign still 1080p?

yup.

dwells

Games not still broken. Has issues, yeah, but broken? Come on now.

Then again, you are consistently more negative than the average halo gaffer.
I'm not so much negative as I am a realist.

The current state of the game is still bad and would be unacceptable for even a public beta.

Halo 2 Classic hit detection is still worse than the Xbox original on 2004 peer to peer connections. That's pretty bad. Halo CE hit detection is still wildly inconsistent and players still fall through the map. There's lag across all titles and dedicated servers are inconsistent at best. There's no host migration, so of the host leaves in any of the many P2P games, the game ends for everyone. The ranking system doesn't work at all and isn't in any but one playlist, so quitting is rampant. File share doesn't work right and Halo 3 Forge objectives are broken. The list goes on.

After the patch, it took me twelve straight games before a single acceptable game of Halo 2 Classic happened (even teams, no one lagged out). Of the five BTB games I've found, three have crashed to post game after loading the map.

The game is still in an objectively broken state.

VinFTW

I'm not so much negative as I am a realist.

The current state of the game is still bad and would be unacceptable for even a public beta.

Halo 2 Classic hit detection is still worse than the Xbox original on 2004 peer to peer connections. That's pretty bad. Halo CE hit detection is still wildly inconsistent and players still fall through the map. There's lag across all titles and dedicated servers are inconsistent at best. There's no host migration, so of the host leaves in any of the many P2P games, the game ends for everyone. The ranking system doesn't work at all and isn't in any but one playlist, so quitting is rampant. File share doesn't work right and Halo 3 Forge objectives are broken. The list goes on.

After the patch, it took me twelve straight games before a single acceptable game of Halo 2 Classic happened (even teams, no one lagged out). Of the five BTB games I've found, three have crashed to post game after loading the map.

The game is still in an objectively broken state.

Really no point in arguing, games not broken. As many others have stated, it has bugs/issues. But broken? Naw.

-Ryn

Banned
I don't know what a Nomot Ion Tracker even is, which Pistol?, and I think we can all agree, we are all go for #butts. Emotionally at least.
The Nomot Ion Tracker is a device used by Chief in Halo 7 (which he obtained in Halo 6: Halsey's Reveangence) that will track the lost technology needed to turn Cortana into a super being of hard light and space magic. Some feel it's just an intergalactic fetch quest while others think it's a cool way to open up exploration in Halo. It's universally agreed that it creates way too much lens flare though.

I was referring to the CE pistol but the Halo 5 pistol works as well.

You are a splendid human bean

I would definitely be down with the CE pistol being a legendary weapon in Halo 5. Also, Chief's AR with 60 rounds.

What else?
Prophet's Bane
OG Rocket Launcher
Keyes Pistol
Chief's AR
Tartarus' Gravity Hammer
Johnson's lazer
Miranda's shotgun

Can't really think of any others from the games. They'd definitely need some cooler names lol

Madness

Game is still a mess though. On the one hand, as an MCC owner I'm happy because this will bolster the population somewhat, but on the other hand, I feel sorry for any new owners who would probably have much more enjoyment with another game than MCC.

HTupolev

I'll let you figure out your mistake.
My mistake? It's not like I put the "0" key next to the "9" key!

I wonder if their cinematics will stick to the 2.35 ratio (H3/H4) or if they'll go with even bigger black bars (1920*750 = 1600x900).
I wouldn't be all that surprised if they stick with the old way and let the upscaling happen. There's not really any stigma attached to that approach.

I think they go with a segment with Chief so people aren't worried about the franchise icon being at the side.

Maybe they'll announce a BTB beta at the E3 press conference that's available "right now!" Oh how I wish...

If they do what I think they'll do, it'll start with MC gameplay, and then they show off the big twist: shifting perspectives! The second half will be Locke gameplay, following up on what he discovered from MC. Kinda like ODST.

Meh, doubtful. I feel like they NEED a BTB beta, they seem pretty adamant it won't happen.

Agent Locke vs. Sarah Palmer
Spartan Ops: Scene 1.

Jameson: You wanna go Egghead?
Sarah: Who are you calling, "Egghead"? Egghead?

Bedroom scene. *Dark*

Sarah: "I thought you'd be taller.."

Laskey sees everything outside their window.

cue imagine dragons "Radioactive" music.

Thomas sheds a salty tear and leaves.

/Fin.

Bedroom scene. *Dark*

/Fin.

I'll take 40. Please and thank you.

-Ryn

Banned
Meh, doubtful. I feel like they NEED a BTB beta, they seem pretty adamant it won't happen.
Correct me if I'm wrong but 343 hasn't really said anything about it have they? I'd say it's possible right now. They're probably just holding off until E3.

Bedroom scene. *Dark*

/Fin.
What did I just read?

Top Bottom