• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Mix

Were people really offended? I can't remember if I was upset, but I actually like that they shared their internal decisions like that. I would've liked to have seen Requiem stay around for more "story" stuff, but I don't really have any qualms with what they did.
Honestly, I'd like to see what the initial process was for going about Requiem from day one. I feel like Bungie kinda screwed 'em over with the whole mystery planet thing at the end of Halo 3. It felt more like a nuisance than a welcome story concept. They were so quick to just blow it up and be done with it, I'm honestly surprised the chief was on requiem for as long as he was.

Halo 5 needs a section of the game, even for just a mission or two, where you play on a Halo installation. Then the Greater Ark. Then kill the damn Didact.

You guys are silly.. The Halo 3 Magnum can compete with the BR if you're skilled enough with it. You're just playing the game wrong.

What you need to do when you spawn is cleverly crouch and sneakily move around the map, outsmarting the enemy through intelligent use of the motion tracker. You have a ranged weapon with the Magnum, what more do you need? Just walk over to a BR and pick one up if you need it, it shouldn't be a problem. You see, it's all about being smart with the decisions you make and paying attention to your motion tracker to choose your attacks wisely.

If you don't run out to the enemy, then you can't die right? Just force them to come to you and run away when in danger, using that motion tracker to keep track of the enemy's movement as you skillfully dodge those pin-point accurate BR shots from the other side of the map. I mean really guys, fault's on you for wanting to play something different than what's forced blessed upon us in Matchmaking.

Madness

Honestly, I'd like to see what the initial process was for going about Requiem from day one. I feel like Bungie kinda screwed 'em over with the whole mystery planet thing at the end of Halo 3. It felt more like a nuisance than a welcome story concept. They were so quick to just blow it up and be done with it, I'm honestly surprised the chief was on requiem for as long as he was.

Halo 5 needs a section of the game, even for just a mission or two, where you play on a Halo installation. Then the Greater Ark. Then kill the damn Didact.

Bungie didn't have any plans for Chief though. It literally could have been anything. I thought it was some alien planet outside of the Galaxy altogether. Others speculated it was Onyx or a shield world or something.

I also think the 5 year post-Halo 3 event really had backed them into a corner as well. I think they just said screw it, the Prometheans weren't wildly accepted, Didact is "off-planet", the players never really got to explore it and don't have any connection with it, Halsey and Jul have no reason to stay, lets just destroy it altogether, and be done with it.

-Ryn

Banned
You guys are silly.. The Halo 3 Magnum can compete with the BR if you're skilled enough with it. You're just playing the game wrong.

What you need to do when you spawn is cleverly crouch and sneakily move around the map, outsmarting the enemy through intelligent use of the motion tracker. You have a ranged weapon with the Magnum, what more do you need? Just walk over to a BR and pick one up if you need it, it shouldn't be a problem. You see, it's all about being smart with the decisions you make and paying attention to your motion tracker to choose your attacks wisely.

If you don't run out to the enemy, then you can't die right? Just force them to come to you and run away when in danger, using that motion tracker to keep track of the enemy's movement as you skillfully dodge those pin-point accurate BR shots from the other side of the map. I mean really guys, fault's on you for wanting to play something different than what's forced blessed upon us in Matchmaking.
A buddy of mine and I played a few matches of Multi team with Magnums only a while back in regular slayer.

We kicked ass

True story

Git gud

H3 Magnum is awful and I'm pretty sure there were a few guests on the other teams

A buddy of mine and I played a few matches of Multi team with Magnums only a while back in regular slayer.

We kicked ass

True story

Git gud

H3 Magnum is awful and I'm pretty sure there were a few guests on the other teams

The ROF for H3 Pistol kills my soul...

Ramirez

What's strange is that the Halo 3 pistol was discovered in the beta, and it was awful then too, and yet, they changed nothing about it to release.

-Ryn

Banned
The M6D and the ODST Pistol are the 2 pistols I've really enjoyed in Halo. The H3 pistol feels like you're shooting packing peanuts.

Really really really hope Keyes pistol is a thing. Would feel so great to kick ass with a badass pistol again.

singhr1

Same. Nothing in Halo fired slower. Pretty sure the sniper fires faster.

It's also wholly unsatisfying. The Halo 3: ODST silenced magnum is far more satisfying even though its just a "pip" noise. Just fun to use. Having a scope helps a lot.

Karl2177

Dunno why y'all are getting that excited about a Staten book. Contact Harvest was okay, and his writing in games is damn near cringe-worthy.

>"Squad leaders are requesting a rally point, where should they go?"
>>"To war"

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dunno why y'all are getting that excited about a Staten book. Contact Harvest was okay, and his writing in games is damn near cringe-worthy.

>"Squad leaders are requesting a rally point, where should they go?"
>>"To war"

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ah, c'mon. Even in 3 there are some great lines; that one's notable (and memorable) because it's unusual.

Impala26

Same. Nothing in Halo fired slower. Pretty sure the sniper fires faster.

What's strange is that the Halo 3 pistol was discovered in the beta, and it was awful then too, and yet, they changed nothing about it to release.

The H3 pistol feels like you're shooting packing peanuts.

It's also wholly unsatisfying. The Halo 3: ODST silenced magnum is far more satisfying even though its just a "pip" noise. Just fun to use. Having a scope helps a lot.

So weird. It's not even a hand cannon, as there is zero power to it. It's just shit all around.

Preach it HaloGAF!
Oh lawdy lawd, HALLELUJAH!

The M6D and the ODST Pistol are the 2 pistols I've really enjoyed in Halo. The H3 pistol feels like you're shooting packing peanuts.

Really really really hope Keyes pistol is a thing. Would feel so great to kick ass with a badass pistol again.

It has to be a thing, there's too great of an opportunity to let it go by the wayside. The whole unique weapons on map thing was a good idea. There's a lot there can do with it and they don't always have to be there.

m23

Contact Harvest, off the top of my head.

Ah, I didn't even read that one. Eric Nylund needs to return, too bad that will probably never happen seeing as he's now at Amazon. I wonder how he would have continued the Ghosts of Onyx story. That book was GOAT.

singhr1

Just played two games on the Team Ball playlist. Both times my team was missing a player from start to finish. Sigh...

You think that's bad. Think how difficult it is to win when two of your teamates go 1-10 and 1-12 (I'm SwathingLeopard)

Thu_Mar_12_20-06-34_EDT_2015.png

Best thing about the Halo 3 Magnum? Each individual Magnum was even weaker when dual wielded.

I guess leaving it as a 5sk would have made it too OP. Clearly the weapon was too powerful and easy to use for that. Game-breaking weapon imo.

Booshka

Best thing about the Halo 3 Magnum? Each individual Magnum was even weaker when dual wielded.

I guess leaving it as a 5sk would have made it too OP. Clearly the weapon was too powerful and easy to use for that. Game-breaking weapon imo.

Halo 3 was just bad, not only are we going to make the movement and aiming feel terrible, we will also make the primary utility weapon intentionally random. Oh and that M6D looking H1 Pistol will be absolute dog-shit garbage, because fuck you guys for wanting a strong, capable, fun to shoot Utility weapon. Dual wielding sucks, so we made the guns worse when you do it. So take this slotgun of a BR instead, and good luck with our world class peer to peer netcode.

You think that's bad. Think how difficult it is to win when two of your teamates go 1-10 and 1-12 (I'm SwathingLeopard)
On the other the team the players who went 23-2 and 14-5 didn't do much to help their team win. Their total score combined was only 10 points. It might not have been an easy win but at least they helped you win by actually playing the game type.

-Ryn

Banned
I just got 3 different invites to clans after one game of Reach. How is this still a thing!?

It has to be a thing, there's too great of an opportunity to let it go by the wayside. The whole unique weapons on map thing was a good idea. There's a lot there can do with it and they don't always have to be there.
Plus it already has explosive rounds if they're looking for a way to differentiate it from the normal pistol. It doesn't need stat boosts or anything. Just make it look cool and feel great.

They really don't need to do anything.

Halo 3 was just bad, not only are we going to make the movement and aiming feel terrible, we will also make the primary utility weapon intentionally random. Oh and that M6D looking H1 Pistol will be absolute dog-shit garbage, because fuck you guys for wanting a strong, capable, fun to shoot Utility weapon. Dual wielding sucks, so we made the guns worse when you do it. So take this slotgun of a BR instead, and good luck with our world class peer to peer netcode.
It's weird that a game with so many bad design decisions was some of the most fun I've had in a game.

Bungie didn't have any plans for Chief though. It literally could have been anything. I thought it was some alien planet outside of the Galaxy altogether. Others speculated it was Onyx or a shield world or something.

I also think the 5 year post-Halo 3 event really had backed them into a corner as well. I think they just said screw it, the Prometheans weren't wildly accepted, Didact is "off-planet", the players never really got to explore it and don't have any connection with it, Halsey and Jul have no reason to stay, lets just destroy it altogether, and be done with it.

But but but - the Librarian's ghost was on Requiem, along with Cortana!

I firmly believe the Librarian did something with Cortana while John 117 was looking for/being led to her on that level of Halo 4. And why have him spend all that time physically traversing that part of the structure, when she could have teleported Master Chief to her location? What were the Librarian and Cortana doing all that time, playing tiddly-winks?

So stupid.

It's weird that a game with so many bad design decisions was some of the most fun I've had in a game.

Probably because it wasn't designed for competitive play (read: eSports) in mind. It was designed for fun? Purely my theory.

Most gamers I know jizzed over H2:A... I didn't get the hype back then and I still don't get it now. It was fun during it's time, but I liked the newer Halos. Halo 3 is my favorite.

daedalius

this this this this this

I never want to play H3, ever (multi).

Probably because it wasn't designed for competitive play (read: eSports) in mind. It was designed for fun? Purely my theory.

Most gamers I know jizzed over H2:A... I didn't get the hype back then and I still don't get it now. It was fun during it's time, but I liked the newer Halos. Halo 3 is my favorite.

I guess if "fun" is what you get out of the above sentiment, then sure.

HTupolev

Probably because it wasn't designed for competitive play (read: eSports) in mind.
It was, but they did more than they needed to (for the purposes of mitigating utility weapon ease over long ranges) and didn't adequately back up the things they did right. Projectiles are great, but they need good feedback; this is why the Halo 1 pistol has a huge and extremely visible impact indicator, for instance. When you combine dubious feedback with too much spread, the result feels somewhat opaque, especially when further combined with networking that behaves poorly as the bandwidth gets pushed.

I actually think Halo 3 manages to be pretty serviceable in campaign and in MP when the host's upstream BW can keep up with demand, but otherwise it gets problematic fast.

Eh, maybe I like the newer Halos because of where they were in the Chief's storyline. I don't really know why. Halo 2 just never sat right with me, even though I acknowledge that it is a classic.

-Ryn

Banned

Eh

Along with Tupolev's point I think that it's the fact that it had so many options and features which allowed for a lot of great content both from the community and Bungie themselves.

I'm actually really interested in seeing what they do with Chief's character and Cortana. Might be cool.

Oh you lucky bastard.
What this guy said

Eh, maybe I like the newer Halos because of where they were in the Chief's storyline. I don't really know why. Halo 2 just never sat right with me, even though I acknowledge that it is a classic.
Halo 2 is actually my favorite Halo story wise so far. It did an incredible job fleshing out the universe and while flawed, had some really good sections of gameplay.

Best campaign: Halo 3

Best core gameplay: Halo CE

Best Atmosphere: ODST

Best features and Gametypes: Inva- I mean Reach

Best QTE's:
NUNS=MGR

Top Bottom