• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Ramadeus

Neo Member
Bungie didn't have any plans for Chief though. It literally could have been anything. I thought it was some alien planet outside of the Galaxy altogether. Others speculated it was Onyx or a shield world or something.

I also think the 5 year post-Halo 3 event really had backed them into a corner as well. I think they just said screw it, the Prometheans weren't wildly accepted, Didact is "off-planet", the players never really got to explore it and don't have any connection with it, Halsey and Jul have no reason to stay, lets just destroy it altogether, and be done with it.

Furthermore by plumbing the otherwise impenetrable mystique of the universe we're sort of seeing how underwhelming it is.

Take the Forerunners for example, the architects of a weapon that can sterilize whole galaxies, a race whose discarded ships had the power to turn the fortunes of and re-shape the entire galaxy even a 100,000 years later. Yet for the sake of gameplay we're forced to contend with the fact that their Prometheans (one of the Didact's solutions to a galaxy ending war) can be destroyed by relative to modern bullets - with no apparent signs of shielding - despite being inorganic machines. For some reason I find that bizarrely contradictory.

I just get this whole sense that 343i suffers a form of pseudo dissonance in which they can't seem to agree on how the universe should work.

Mix

Jesus twitch finished it already? That's ridiculous, most definitely cheated.
Furthermore by plumbing the otherwise impenetrable mystique of the universe we're sort of seeing how underwhelming it is.

Take the Forerunners for example, the architects of a weapon that can sterilize whole galaxies, a race whose discarded ships had the power to turn the fortunes of and re-shape the entire galaxy even a 100,000 years later. Yet for the sake of gameplay we're forced to contend with the fact that their Prometheans (one of the Didact's solutions to a galaxy ending war) can be destroyed by relative to modern bullets - with no apparent signs of shielding - despite being inorganic machines. For some reason I find that bizarrely contradictory.

I just get this whole sense that 343i suffers a form of pseudo dissonance in which they can't seem to agree on how the universe should work.
No, the Promethean Knights and things that we saw in Halo 4 are not the same Warrior Prometheans that are supposed to be the warriors of the forerunner race. These things are more or less a last minute creation to guarantee protection when warrior servants are not available. Sort of like the mall cops of the forerunner world. I have a feeling, based more so on the megabloks we have seen for Halo 5, that we'll be seeing real forerunners this time around.

Ramadeus

Neo Member

No, the Promethean Knights and things that we saw in Halo 4 are not the same Warrior Prometheans that are supposed to be the warriors of the forerunner race. These things are more or less a last minute creation to guarantee protection when warrior servants are not available. Sort of like the mall cops of the forerunner world. I have a feeling, based more so on the megabloks we have seen for Halo 5, that we'll be seeing real forerunners this time around.

I agree wholeheartedly, for the most part they seemed to be the abominable creation of a madman driven insane by the Gravemind's brainwashing, they don't appear to even have shields given that Sarah Palmer could seemingly gun them down with contemptuous ease (I won't even go into the stupidity of Lasky, a squishy bag of meat, staggering a half a ton robot with a flying kick).

That's my internal rationalization, the terminals on the other hand seem to treat them as a legitimate counterpoint to the Flood, to the point that living Prometheans were willing to sacrifice their lives to become Knights - which is somewhat of a significant downgrade in occupational capacity.

For that reason alone I can't shake the feeling we'll be gunning down organic Forerunners by the bucket load in Halo 5 with 7.62mm, and while I can only rely on the good sense of 343i to prevail I hope for the love of all things Precursor that's not the case.

mcrommert

Banned

I hope we do see real forerunner Warrior Prometheans...then the Precursors ally with Master Chief and upgrade his armor :)

Chief will need to upgrade, lol nanosuit, to the next level/tier combat skin. Along with the other abilities in the implanted genesong. But speaking about his armor it will need to look more Didact-tified or perhaps something Warrior-servant class traditional design without losing the Spartan appearance too much to recognize.

Mix

Chief will need to upgrade, lol nanosuit, to the next level/tier combat skin. Along with the other abilities in the implanted genesong. But speaking about his armor it will need to look more Didact-tified or perhaps something Warrior-servant class traditional design without losing the Spartan appearance too much to recognize.
Inb4 Halsey designed forerunner armor.

Edit: Fairly off topic, but I'm so fucking bored. I'm in a little town called Harlingen at the border in Texas and the is nothing to do between jobs, it's why I've been posting so much the last two days.

Ramadeus

Neo Member
Adorn the Chief in a Gen II Forerunner hybrid suit, and then give him a fast cycle Spartan laser with a disposable power pack. Essentially boost his physical performance, have him undergo a further "evolution" as a result of the Librarian's genesong that allows him to directly interface with so far inaccessible Forerunner technology and equip him with an anti-tank laser weapon.

Then he should realistically stand a chance against a living Forerunner.

Somewhat.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So RE: new books, can someone give me a summary of what books are in what series, if any? Like, which ones can I read without having to read 3 other books that I missed?

Also Frank's writing one? We get autographed copies right? :p

Mix

So RE: new books, can someone give me a summary of what books are in what series, if any? Like, which ones can I read without having to read 3 other books that I missed?

Also Frank's writing one? We get autographed copies right? :p
To the best of my knowledge they're all stand alone.

Impala26

I had a lot of trouble last friday, haven't attempted since. Destiny got its paws on me again.

Speaking of, we need to do a HaloGAF raid soon.

True DIS.

Aside from myself and Mix, are there any other HaloGAF-ers who have Destiny on XB1 but HAVEN'T played the Raid(s)?
(Even friends of friends at this point...)

Love to still get that Newbie HaloGAF going and streamed for all the world (HaloGAF) to see.

So its been a long time since I played Halo, and I'm playing the MCC.

Is it really that difficult to find games?
Cause it takes me quite some time, sometimes don't find any at all.

EDIT: I know its been like 6 years since I last played, but holy shit I suck

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
True DIS.

Aside from myself and Mix, are there any other HaloGAF-ers who have Destiny on XB1 but HAVEN'T played the Raid(s)?
(Even friends of friends at this point...)

Love to still get that Newbie HaloGAF going and streamed for all the world (HaloGAF) to see.
Me! I got to the end of VOG but still never beat it. I'm totally down to try again.

singhr1

So its been a long time since I played Halo, and I'm playing the MCC.

Is it really that difficult to find games?
Cause it takes me quite some time, sometimes don't find any at all.

EDIT: I know its been like 6 years since I last played, but holy shit I suck

If I don't find a game in two minutes, I back out and try again. Most games are found <30s-1min. Depends a lot on where you live. I'm US east.

Tawpgun

If you guys are on this evening send Tawpgun an invite if you're looking for a raid run.

Won't promise ill join but I might if I'm not doing anything else

Impala26

Me! I got to the end of VOG but still never beat it. I'm totally down to try again.

Cool cool, might try to set up something tonight, tomorrow or Sunday afternoon.
Know anybody (GAF or otherwise) that might be in the same boat?

If you guys are on this evening send Tawpgun an invite if you're looking for a raid run.

Won't promise ill join but I might if I'm not doing anything else

Awesome, glad to see you don't mind rolling with us behind-the-times uncool kids.
See above if tonight's a no-go.

What if Halo 5 is structured like Metroid Prime where you're exploring to unlock upgrades and Armor Abilities to access new areas/combat abilities with Locke and/or Librarian augmentations for MC?

Hmmmmmmm

willow ve

Came in here saw Destiny talk.

Checked thread to make sure Halo thread.

MCC really isn't working too great atm huh?

To be fair the co-op raids in Destiny are a pretty big leap above co-op campaign (if/when it works) in MCC.

Speaking of PvP Halo still holds that crown easily (if they updated map and game types).

how the fuck aren't there bots....

that's overly disappointing.

I just think in this day and age, if a game is to have splitscreen, the game should have AI bots.

Impala26

Actually it's gotten markedly better, it's just that I was trying to set up Destiny-related activities a few weeks ago, fell apart, was about to try again, and then a big patch dropped little more than a week ago for MCC that improved things and people migrated back over.

I'm sort of stuck in this nether realm of gaming where I was getting back into Destiny but then everyone went back to Halo and then yeah...

State of my universe on this lovely Friday the Thirteenth.

jem0208

The MCC is working reasonably well actually. People were trying to organise the Destiny thing whilst it was still broken them it got fixed and Destiny got put on hold.

Ramirez

What if Halo 5 is structured like Metroid Prime where you're exploring to unlock upgrades and Armor Abilities to access new areas/combat abilities with Locke and/or Librarian augmentations for MC?

Hmmmmmmm

We speculated 4 might be like that when they released the concept trailer...yea.

Skele7on

Banned
To be fair the co-op raids in Destiny are a pretty big leap above co-op campaign (if/when it works) in MCC.

Speaking of PvP Halo still holds that crown easily (if they updated map and game types).

Actually it's gotten markedly better, it's just that I was trying to set up Destiny-related activities a few weeks ago, fell apart, was about to try again, and then a big patch dropped little more than a week ago for MCC that improved things and people migrated back over.

I'm sort of stuck in this nether realm of gaming where I was getting back into Destiny but then everyone went back to Halo and then yeah...

State of my universe on this lovely Friday the Thirteenth.

The MCC is working reasonably well actually. People were trying to organise the Destiny thing whilst it was still broken them it got fixed and Destiny got put on hold.

Actually it is working

To the point that I would never play Destiny over MCC right now. Unless it's a raid.

Yeah this is true, I just came in to say I tried more MCC out last night and I don't know if it's my home internet or connecting to servers I'm just still having a lag fest of a time, so disappointing maybe it's because I'm from UK dunno.

Just was weird seeing Destiny stuff in here! :D

although matchmaking and teams work a lot better now, I'll give it that.

Impala26: PM'd you!

Mix

We speculated 4 might be like that when they released the concept trailer...yea.
Dude I totally forgot about the concept trailer. Kinda weird that they did it, but it makes sense considering it was about a year from release.
The Art of Halo 5 book is out on August 11th, presumably a month or more ahead of the actual game.

Could be some juicy story details in there. As well as some fantastic art, of course.
You're about a month late on that news, friend.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Hmmmmmmm
I would loooove that.

Cool cool, might try to set up something tonight, tomorrow or Sunday afternoon.
Know anybody (GAF or otherwise) that might be in the same boat?
I dunno, the weekend is the only time my girlfriend and I have time to hang out so I usually don't make too many other commitments, lol. Someone tweet at me if a raid is getting started and I'll see if I can join. I'm level 28, though, so I think the only thing I can handle is a normal VOG run.

Mix

http://news.xbox.com/2015/03/games-...3-13-15?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Update 3.13.15

By Dan Ayoub, Studio Head, Halo External Development, 343

So, Dan Ayoub slowly crawling out of his hiding place?
This is still really cool and exciting stuff. I'm excited for Halo 3: ODST's campaign, and at this point in a little disappointed that firefight isn't coming with it. This also kinda confirms that the Hub city will be available. Woohoo!

Relic is looking really good too.

OTMvOX5.gif

Ramirez

No disrespect meant, but I don't think 343 is capable of crafting something like Metroid Prime, and the bros would be confused with the puzzles.

Top Bottom