• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

mcrommert

Banned
Well, so much for that whole "straight shooter" and "Phil is different and truthful" image I've been hearing all about. Making excuses and still spouting the whole nonsense that the game tested fine and they were blindsided by all the issues.

I'm really bothered by how it keeps getting downplayed as if matchmaking/online component was the only issue with the game when that's so far from the truth.

I'm thinking Saturday night would be a fun night for customs. Get some big team in CE going, maybe a little bit of something else too. Would people be up for a Saturday night customs sessions?

totally down...could totally bring at least 2 other people in

There is a ton of ammo in 4, you just have to look around.

I definitely feel there is an ammo problem in Halo 4. The worst is the quick weapon despawning. Of course if you know where the ammo caches are you may get by. But Promethean enemy design is very cheap, coupled with poor weapon drops and quick despawns it can make for frustrating parts.

I haven't even bothered with legendary in MCC, not even regular campaign. Urge to play it is done. Even with most of the game working now.

inb4 YourExWife tells you H4 ammo complaints are unwarranted and you should explore campaigns better cuz it's not that hard to find shit, etc., etc.

Karl2177

http://www.gamespresso.com/2015/03/...oncept-art-leading-up-to-its-re-release/31689

Probably late posting this, but "Halo 3: ODST gorgeous concept art leading up to its re-release"

Someday, someone will create an engine that does haze and lighting properly and this will become a reality.

Halo-ODST-2.jpg

I'm thinking Saturday night would be a fun night for customs. Get some big team in CE going, maybe a little bit of something else too. Would people be up for a Saturday night customs sessions?

I'm down.

Well, so much for that whole "straight shooter" and "Phil is different and truthful" image I've been hearing all about. Making excuses and still spouting the whole nonsense that the game tested fine and they were blindsided by all the issues.

I'm really bothered by how it keeps getting downplayed as if matchmaking/online component was the only issue with the game when that's so far from the truth.

Dwells a ProvenDeadly alt confirmed.

I really want to see a Halo title in the aesthetic vein of Mirror's Edge where there aren't crazy human / forerunner textures plastering every surface, but rather there are just a handful of tasteful colored accents and the bulk of the color design is done through lighting and weather / time of day effects.

HTupolev

I think ODST with Destiny's lighting would've been amazing.
Maybe. I think Halo 3's was an incredibly cool fit for it, though. The HDR helped the game to go for its very high-contrast scenes without any real issues, and the very expressive specular shading works great for the Covenant stuff and the game's environments. And as far as the 360 is concerned, Halo 3's approach allows for very smooth blending in post-processing (i.e. for motion blur and the "my 'shields' are down" effects).

They're just extremely basic texture wise.
Well, they don't try to produce a bunch of major details through textures. Where they're particularly "basic" is in their geometry. Very clean and focused, with just a few splashes of peculiar flair.

It's true that it's a cheap and low-tech approach, but it's nonetheless good. The kibble-covered maps of today's AAA games tend to leave much less of a visual impression on me.

DJ Gunner

Man, multiplayer CE maps looks more alien than today's Halo maps. There's just something about them..

The movement toward graphical realism definitely makes things less alien, or rather you use less of your imagination while viewing them, for sure. For that reason I tend to much prefer the basic aesthetics of CE and some of 2's maps over the later games' maps.

Lol@Spencer saying that the game was fully tested and ready at launch and that problems were unexpected and related to the new Xbox Live.

Even throwing 343 a bone and saying that every one of the matchmaking problems were unexpected, the game menus themselves broke or didnt work every time you touched the game. I remember how fun it was having three menus overlay each other. And how about all those campaign issues? Me and seemingly a shitload of other people all got crashes on the first level of Halo 4. And apparently Halo 3's audio is often swapped backwards. That's just a couple from a long list across the games. Hell, dont even mess around with multiplayer, just put your factory disk into a disconnected Xbone and see how "ready" the game was.

Saying that the game was ready is just blatantly false and I dont see why they are so intent on lying about it. Even generic PR crap is better than lies. Or just tell me a leprechaun did it.

Mix

Yeah, Mix is right it's definitely there on the video.

Remember it's now a tiny VR/Holographic sight display rather than a more massive physical ocular lens sight.

At this point I'm more interested in what that blue light source is on his back. It seems like its stuck on him. Do you guys think he's going to try and bring chief back to the unsc with a copy of Cortana?

I'd be surprised if we didn't get some sort of vidoc or otherwise by then end of the month.
Frankie, care to comment? Mind giving us one of your famous "x-amount of sleeps until y" posts?

Probably just some tron lines and blue LEDs, the latest in stealth technology.
Lol this is almost more likely to be the case

HTupolev

At this point I'm more interested in what that blue light source is on his back. It seems like its stuck on him. Do you guys think he's going to try and bring chief back to the unsc with a copy of Cortana?
Probably just some tron lines and blue LEDs, the latest in stealth technology.

m23

I was hoping to see some sort of trailer sometime soon, like that leaked photo. Maybe something to celebrate MCC working finally.

belushy

Banned
I want the old scope back :(

edit:
The release date for Halo 5 should be announced soon, Halo 4's was announced April 17th 2012 and Reach's in May of 2010.

Wasn't there some rumor it could release in September so it doesn't go up against Treyarch's COD this year?

Mix

The release date for Halo 5 should be announced soon, Halo 4's was announced April 17th 2012 and Reach's in May of 2010.
I want the old scope back :(

edit:

Wasn't there some rumor it could release in September so it doesn't go up against Treyarch's COD this year?
Yeah, the rumor was September which would be awesome, both for player base and for sales. I just hope that its announced before E3, I need some news to tide myself over with lol

Impala26

Ohhh...

"I don't know when I'll be around this weekend," he says.
"Can't definitively schedule things," he says.

*snerk*
LOL

Get this poser outta here!
Where's the REAL M.C. of Saturday Night HaloGAF Customs--Clique?

Like for serious though... anyone know the dude personally?

Mix

Ohhh...

"I don't know when I'll be around this weekend," he says.
"Can't definitively schedule things," he says.

*snerk*
LOL

Get this poser outta here!
Where's the REAL M.C. of Saturday Night HaloGAF Customs--Clique?
Anyone know the dude personally?
lol, I still don't know for sure if I'll be home Saturday, its just looking likely.

And I'm here to claim cliques title. I hosted the first MCC HaloGAF customs way back the same weekend the game released.

Back when it didn't freakin work.

Impala26

lol, I still don't know for sure if I'll be home Saturday, its just looking likely.

And I'm here to claim cliques title. I hosted the first MCC HaloGAF customs way back the same weekend the game released.

Back when it didn't freakin work.

I keed I keed.

Back when Ragnarok Flames was a thing...

RIP in peace.

daedalius

M[B said:
ix;155687179]At this point I'm more interested in what that [/B]blue light source is on his back. It seems like its stuck on him. Do you guys think he's going to try and bring chief back to the unsc with a copy of Cortana?

I'd be surprised if we didn't get some sort of vidoc or otherwise by then end of the month.
Frankie, care to comment? Mind giving us one of your famous "x-amount of sleeps until y" posts?

Lol this is almost more likely to be the case

Shield power lights

do you even lore bro?

belushy

Banned

Yeah, the rumor was September which would be awesome, both for player base and for sales. I just hope that its announced before E3, I need some news to tide myself over with lol

Yeah I wanna see some damn BTB. I

Impala26

He rests among the stars

May his rays of pure salt touch us all...

Same. At this point, BTB is all I'm holding out hope for. I'm skeptical it'll be more of what Halo 4 did wrong, but I suppose we'll see. Any day now...

Honestly? At this point as long as they nix personal ordnance I'd be pretty much okay with custom weapon loadouts and such. Personal Ordnance and once again Armor Abilities (like in Reach) were the bane of the multiplayer, imo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, interesting. Crossing my fingers for a September release.

Mix

"any day now" You think we'll see BTB this month?
It's unlikely, but at the same time they may reveal BTB and the release date at the same time this month or next (along with what the legendary and limit editions ACTUALLY come with) and then do a campaign reveal at E3 in June. I'd be happy with that.

Madness

Where is Clique though? Guy hosted customs when game barely worked with parties and now that game is much better, parties work decently, he's no longer playing/posting apparently.

Lol@Spencer saying that the game was fully tested and ready at launch and that problems were unexpected and related to the new Xbox Live.

Even throwing 343 a bone and saying that every one of the matchmaking problems were unexpected, the game menus themselves broke or didnt work every time you touched the game. I remember how fun it was having three menus overlay each other. And how about all those campaign issues? Me and seemingly a shitload of other people all got crashes on the first level of Halo 4. And apparently Halo 3's audio is often swapped backwards. That's just a couple from a long list across the games. Hell, dont even mess around with multiplayer, just put your factory disk into a disconnected Xbone and see how "ready" the game was.

Saying that the game was ready is just blatantly false and I dont see why they are so intent on lying about it. Even generic PR crap is better than lies. Or just tell me a leprechaun did it.

They lie about it because the alternative would leave them open to a lawsuit more than they already are. They expurgate the truth because they are not pressurised on the details in open, highly visible public spaces such as IGN or Edge or Game Informer; the interview published today is the first and only time I've seen a journalist press an MS employee associated with the game. They've been very smart in playing this sleight of hand that one big network issue has caused all of the other 'smaller' issues with the game. That the new Xbox Live was the root of the games' online multiplayer and party compatibility woes and they didn't know this until it was being played in people's homes is questionable but plausible. That this made campaign levels crash or Halo 3's audio mixing to be scrambled or Halo 2's hit detection to cease functioning over a certain distance or CE's reticle to be pushed away from an enemy is not plausible.
Every game studio hires game testers and a testers work is commonly known to be gruelling in its tediousness and demand of repetition; be under no illusion that they weren't aware of practically every issue that the community has since uncovered. All one has to do is turn their Xbox One to offline mode and play the game from there to realise that it's a fundamentally faulty, poorly put together, bug ridden mess.

Here's something to ruminate on. 9th of October IGN publish the provisional playlist setup. Team Hardcore is listed as

"A collection of tournament-approved game types from Halo 2 and Halo 3. The Battle Rifle is your primary weapon. 4v4."

On the 8th of November, three days before the games' launch, Bravo blogs on Waypoint that

"The Team Hardcore playlist will launch only with Halo 2 Classic tournament-approved game types. Behind the scenes, we’re working to integrate Halo 3’s custom map variant files into the playlist, and they aren’t quite ready just yet. As custom map layouts are extremely important to this playlist and community, we’ll be adding the Halo 3 game types into the list when they can be fully integrated, tested, and brought in."

So they've known since at least the 8th of November that Forge in Halo 3 does not work in The Master Chief Collection. On the 11th of March 2015, Team Ball is launched as a playlist. Halo 3's portion of the list features AR starts, as does the objective gametypes in the Halo 3 playlist, as does its portion in the Rumble Pit playlist. This is inexplicable because the other games all feature BR starts and so logic points to H3's forge being broken (reluctantly admitted to as non-functional by 343 in explaining H3's absence from the Snipers playlist) as the primary reason that Halo 3, the biggest selling Halo game of all time, has been, and remains, a very seriously compromised gameplay experience in the Master Chief Collection. Halo 3's team Hardcore variants still aren't quite ready just yet. A third of a year since that statement was made, one wonders when 'just yet' will come.

Impala26

What! This is big news, I knew he missed Halo. I wonder how else he's involved with Halo.

Also wonder if its independent work or if its apart of his creative director position at Microsoft.

The Return of the Classic Grunt voices for Halo 5?

...a man can only dream.

Really awesome to hear that he's back in action with the franchise that he certainly was instrumental in shaping. :-D

canonfodder-3-12-15c-36af62b8ddb646a592466ac0e7fb87a3.jpg

So, I'm guessing this is a WIP cover for one of the books, but anyone else notice that the Ark's Forge is in the back? It also looks like the red / white coloration on the Elite matches those of the Arbiter's subordinates in the H2A Arby / Locke cutscenes.

The_Ark%27s_Core.jpg

Top Bottom