• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

VinFTW

First I saw of the guidelines and first I'm hearing of the "miscommunication", so what does that really say? Bravo tweets like 100 responses a day though, and not everyone uses twitter. Any idea when the correct guidelines come?

No idea, I assume he'll put it on on a Waypoint update or Forgehub/Forgers already know the corrected ones.

But why should we wait? If the guidelines were misunderstood, that should mean they can give out the correct guidelines relatively quickly.

I assume with the timing it was probably due to the off-time post S1 finals and everybody going on vacation and such. I figured they're going to put it in a weekly update on Waypoint, IMO.

Would be better for community involvement.

Computer

If they needed more HCS maps why remake Relic out of all the Halo 2 maps. Now they want the fans to make HCS maps for them.

Overdoziz

Banned
and they'll screw it up like H2v's SDK which was gimped and locked down at the last minute for reasons unknown. I would love to know someday what happened at hired gun towards the end of development of that game.
Been playing around a bit with CSGO's Hammer and it's pretty nice to work with. Not too difficult to get into either. I'd kill for something like this in Halo.

Booshka

Nah dude it's cuz Tsquared's not putting out Youtube vids

https://mobile.twitter.com/Unyshek/status/576553578065592320

YouTube audience doesn't give a shit about H2A Scrims or tips. A lot of the players used to charge for that bullshit, when they took the audience for granted. Now, asking them to provide tips, show in-depth scrims and actually care about the audience, with no upfront payment, must be foreign to them.

In the future, they need to be more open to the community, and provide some great video content, not just grinding hours on Twitch. But, for now, HCS is so fringe to the mainstream, that I don't think some hardcore investment into YouTube content from Pro's is gonna make a difference. The audience that is invested is already there, following Pro's and watching Twitch streams, I don't think they (I certainly don't) care about separate YouTube analysis of their gameplay.

Show the scrims, stream the grind, and good luck in the tourney, that's all you can ask right now. If H5 eSports blows up, then reevaluate the scene and it may necessitate more media involvement from the talent.

Computer

YouTube audience doesn't give a shit about H2A Scrims or tips. A lot of the players used to charge for that bullshit, when they took the audience for granted. Now, asking them to provide tips, show in-depth scrims and actually care about the audience, with no upfront payment, must be foreign to them.

In the future, they need to be more open to the community, and provide some great video content, not just grinding hours on Twitch. But, for now, HCS is so fringe to the mainstream, that I don't think some hardcore investment into YouTube content from Pro's is gonna make a difference. The audience that is invested is already there, following Pro's and watching Twitch streams, I don't think they (I certainly don't) care about separate YouTube analysis of their gameplay.

Show the scrims, stream the grind, and good luck in the tourney, that's all you can ask right now. If H5 eSports blows up, then reevaluate the scene and it may necessitate more media involvement from the talent.

Flamesword is the most active HCS pro on YouTube and I love watching all of his videos. Most of witch are just day and life videos. It dose help grow the fan base. The pros are the stars. They are who attract people to watch. They should put out more content to build their brand and the HCS. It would help them all in the end.

Booshka

Flamesword is the most active HCS pro on YouTube and I love watching all of his videos. Most of witch are just day and life videos. It dose help grow the fan base. The pros are the stars. They are who attract people to watch. They should put out more content to build their brand and the HCS. It would help them all in the end.

HCS should push itself as a brand for Halo eSports, and the Talent should push their brand as competitors in that eSport. They shouldn't have to push the HCS too, that feels shallow and desperate to me, and a lot of other outside viewers feel the same way.

Flamesword is grinding for exposure, wherever the fuck he can get it, despite having middling results at tournaments. Results that don't net great earnings. He's pushing the social aspect of his brand, because professionally, he is mediocre in a second rate eSport. It's a hustle, through and through.

Once 343/MS stop outsourcing Halo eSports like they've outsourced Halo, then maybe it can be considered with the big boys of eSports (CS GO, LoL, Dota2, CoD.) But, for now, it's a second rate eSport waiting to blossom or about to fall into obscurity.

daedalius

Omg my internet is finally fixed.

They actually had to replace the cable going into my house from the drop.

100/5 baybee

"God, why are all these people so laggy?!"

Computer

HCS should push itself as a brand for Halo eSports, and the Talent should push their brand as competitors in that eSport. They shouldn't have to push the HCS too, that feels shallow and desperate to me, and a lot of other outside viewers feel the same way.

Flamesword is grinding for exposure, wherever the fuck he can get it, despite having middling results at tournaments. Results that don't net great earnings. He's pushing the social aspect of his brand, because professionally, he is mediocre in a second rate eSport. It's a hustle, through and through.

Once 343/MS stop outsourcing Halo eSports like they've outsourced Halo, then maybe it can be considered with the big boys of eSports (CS GO, LoL, Dota2, CoD.) But, for now, it's a second rate eSport waiting to blossom or about to fall into obscurity.

Ya it is really sad that there are only 2 LAN events for the second season. Even more so when 343 has not hosted a single event. Depending company's such as UGC or Iron Gaming to put in the time and money into hosting events when Halo is at its lowest point is why we only have 2 events. I hope they are good events because it will be the last time we see H2A played in the HCS.

Whoever thought 6 maps, (4 small/mid, and 1 mid/large and 1 large map) would be enough for H2A clearly has no clue. Even I'm already tired of playing on 1-3 maps over and over I can't imagine what the pros in HCS feel.

The amount of maps was fine for what the primary purpose of H2A was: A modified Halo 4 engine tarted up to show the power of the One at E3 so they're not reliant on up to 13 years old games to sell Halo on their new console.

The mistake was trying to base an entire esports league around that Xbox One Halo demo. The central theme of the Master Chief Collection is in its mixed game playlists. It has over 100 maps. They should have used the standout gametypes from each game for HCS. Imagine the current lineup plus H2 Middy Ball, H3 Pit Flag and H:CE Damnation Slayer. Or they could have ran CE for one season, H2 for the next etc until the final Championship weekend which would have been a blend of those games. "Who will be the ultimate Halo players, masters of the original trilogy as we gear up for Halo 5?" That would have been far more compelling to me than watching three maps (3!) over and over again.

DJ Gunner

The amount of maps was fine for what the primary purpose of H2A was: A modified Halo 4 engine tarted up to show the power of the One at E3 so they're not reliant on up to 13 years old games to sell Halo on their new console.

The mistake was trying to base an entire esports league around that Xbox One Halo demo. The central theme of the Master Chief Collection is in its mixed game playlists. It has over 100 maps. They should have used the standout gametypes from each game for HCS. Imagine the current lineup plus H2 Middy Ball, H3 Pit Flag and H:CE Damnation Slayer. Or they could have ran CE for one season, H2 for the next etc until the final Championship weekend which would have been a blend of those games. "Who will be the ultimate Halo players, masters of the original trilogy as we gear up for Halo 5?" That would have been far more compelling to me than watching three maps (3!) over and over again.

Another spot-on assessment, Henery. In fact, leading up to the release of MCC, with how hard the pros were playing H2V I was convinced that at minimum H2C was going to be a part of the circuit. There's so, so much potential here, and we get to watch the same three maps over and over...

FyreWulff

They also ended up in a weird spot where there's Halo 2 maps that look good for current standards but they're in the Reach engine and they didn't port them over.

I don't think anyone would have minded if they had ported over Reflection, Breakneck, Battle Canyon, and High Noon to get more maps into H2A.

But then again, we had Reach Anniversary that didn't have Blood Gu-oh god i'm talking about the reach tu again

Computron

Solution: port reach.

---------------------------

valhalla >>>>>>>> coag >> bg

maybe bg >> coag wehn you factor in the pistols range, but otherwise those two maps are so boring....

FyreWulff

Solution: port reach.

---------------------------

valhalla >>>>>>>> coag >> bg

maybe bg >> coag wehn you factor in the pistols range, but otherwise those two maps are so boring....

I concur, minus Valhalla's problem with the center hill. I'd like to see a Valhalla that has the middle of Tempest but with the rest of the map being Valhalla's geometry.

So, the new BOOMCo. Needler uses a weird multi-barrel setup...

DSC_0107.jpg

In fact, it almost kind of reminds me of-

2OGpaSI.png

no wait that's silly there's no way they'd-

mv60RQf.png

nah it's just the angle i mean-

JNOIBga.png

BOOM
CO

for the first time i can happily say

I CALLED it, motherfuckers

on an unrelated note, also rediscovered my weird "passive ambient Knight" concept from ages ago

GtSKQDR.png

Some bomb fun in H2A recently. By the prophets I love carrying the bomb.

Already snuck in to position after a failed rush strategy:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/11fe61e1-25b3-4515-bfc0-ea1d39c81bbb

Took out their rocket carrier, sneaky bomb recovery with camo in a well defended base. I love radar:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/51db1821-9b61-47d7-ae58-e999c679b805

Getting our asses handed to us, all 4 enemies were spawn killing us, turtling rings and 20+ kills each. We still prevailed. Again I love radar bomb carrying big time, full run Sanctuary end to end arm:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/d894e300-96c1-472e-ab88-070888f5de8f

Kibbles

Hey, so for forge in HCS Season 2, it seems 343 are really restrictive on what can come in.

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/hcs-season-2-official-map-thread.148259/page-6#post-1608776

4 surprises me the most. They literally limit 2/3rds of the forge canvases you can even use.

1. Maps must look beautiful! Aesthetics are paramount for HCS viewership. An emphasis on natural terrain was communicated in addition to including more scenery objects such as crates, camping stools and cones.
lmao good luck with that with the tools available. I've never seen a beautiful forge map. There's forge maps that end up looking decent, but beautiful? Nope. They need to play their own game. Camping stools and cones have no value in competitive play.

RowdyReverb

Halo 5 better have a shit load of maps. Halo has not had a good map count in way too long.
The multiple variants of each map would technically bolster the map count, right? I guess it depends on how you count. Empire and Eden felt pretty different from each other, despite having similar overall structures, but would you call that 2 maps, or 1.5 or something?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The multiple variants of each map would technically bolster the map count, right? I guess it depends on how you count. Empire and Eden felt pretty different from each other, despite having similar overall structures, but would you call that 2 maps, or 1.5 or something?

You're gonna bet they will advertise those as separate maps.

I'm more than happy with this map layout/redesign methodology, I'd count it as 1.5 but it creates a great fallback, if one variant sucks the other can succeed thus making good use of the resource investment or allowing more forge/gametype options.

Madness

I completely agree. I actually thought that's what HCS and eSports would be as well. All of the Halo's, not just H2A. Seeing the old maps and gametypes with a mix of new pros and old, all in glorious 1080p and 60fps action etc.

But I still would have liked to have seen at least 8 or more maps for H2A. At least 5 small/mid, and then 3 for BTB. Make H2A viable as a modern, Halo 2 style game with Halo 4 graphics etc.

As it is though, this whole collection has been a mess and "what if, what could've been" questions.

I'm guessing only Arena maps get variations while BTB maps don't. That, coupled with multiple forge spaces and their default templates as with Reach are going to have them boasting "most launch maps in a halo title to date excluding MCC" in their ad campaign for sure. I'm guessing 17-19 total, and then really ~4-5 launch BTB maps, 6-7 arena maps all with variations and 2-3 forge defaults.

"We were also treated for a work-in-progress screenshot of Halo 3: ODST, which you can see has the same glossy lighting added to it that the rest of the MCC games do."

What?

The glossy lighting I saw in the WIP was the greasy bloom effect and light emitter hands.
I'll just repeat myself a few times and hopefully it'll be toned down a bit in the final.

HTupolev

The glossy lighting I saw in the WIP was the greasy bloom effect and light emitter hands.
I'll just repeat myself a few times and hopefully it'll be toned down a bit in the final.
There's not "more gloss", it's just brighter. And it's not general to MCC; it's an issue particular to the Halo 3 port.

The statement from the video is incorrect and brushes over an obvious technical issue.

That is hammer right? I wanted to create a few Halo maps in UE4 to practice the BSP stuff. Both Hammer and UE4 run like shit on my pc though lol
Looks like hammer to me.

Source - No idea what to say. It isn't that demanding.
UE4 - Turn off "update BSP automatically." Do that for navigation also. Blocking out levels with them turned on is impossible.
Got bored. Decided to recreate The Pit:

DlauHA2.png
Looking good.

belushy

Banned
Looks like hammer to me.

Source - No idea what to say. It isn't that demanding.
UE4 - Turn off "update BSP automatically." Do that for navigation also. Blocking out levels with them turned on is impossible.

Looking good.

Might retry Source again. I just remember I tried hammer on my laptop not this desktop so maybe it runs better on there. Still, I want to dev with UE4 in the future so might just slave through the 5 minute lighting building lol

"We were also treated for a work-in-progress screenshot of Halo 3: ODST, which you can see has the same glossy lighting added to it that the rest of the MCC games do."

What?
Pardon me, i should game specified, when i say glossy lighting, i meant bloom, if you look at Halo 3/4 on the one compared to the 360 The bloom has been turned way up

HTupolev

Fog_zpsgvkgtl8b.gif

if you look at Halo 3/4 on the one compared to the 360 The bloom has been turned way up
Hmm.

I have my 360 and XB1 going to the same screen right now, and I'm comparing the 360 and XB1 versions of Halo 3 and Halo 4 in the same scenes where it's very easy to make out the bloom strength and radius, and I'm not seeing that it's been increased. Halo 3's looks basically the same, and although Halo 4's looks a little different, I wouldn't really say it looks "stronger" (the most obvious thing is that it's skinnier on the horizontal axis).

Top Bottom