• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Forge is nearest and dearest to my heart. I am down to make a map to the specifications. Nockyard knows how much I will have to restrain myself from using all glass pieces and a kill ball in the middle.

Edit: Forgehub.com is offline untill March 18th-what happened?

Love it

Are the Knights arms blades? Or are the floaty things guns of some sort?

They're "angel wings" in keeping with the theme. They would flutter occasionally the way the rest of the disembodied floating parts would, but their primary purpose is storing most of the mass that forms the bulk of the weaponized Knight form. The Ambient Knight variant was meant to encounter the player and assume that Chief in full armor was a Forerunner in the way Spark did, and would lead him around for a brief amount of time. It wouldn't talk, instead just floating / walking around and pressing sigils occasionally like one of the guys from Journey. Once you got to the end of the level at the top of some megastructure (I was picturing a Halo 4-aesthetic Epitaph), it would scan you and immediately aggro and violently transform into the first Promethean Knight you'd have to fight - sort of. You and the Knight would both get a few shots off and while it would be possible to kill it, Cortana would likely end up beaming you out of the room or sending you down an elevator before it could do too much damage to you. The face of it was also just a faceplate and wouldn't articulate at all, in reference to the original idea of the Knights having an eerily peaceful static "sarcophagus face" covering their skulls in original drafts.

kF54Hwg.png

The aggro'd Knight's "micro-driver" hands remain integrated to the chest in the passive form resembling it praying, while they expand out slightly in combat mode making it resemble someone holding their coat. Granted, while all the aggro'd Promethean units are pure war machines, the Knight class in this case barely ever actually used its microdriver arms because it was a class specifically dedicated to gunplay. There were also a handful of additional Knight variations rather than keeping them all looking the same:

wJaoZpa.png

My two favorites were probably the Archer and Hacker.

awXeslw.png

The Archer was based on original drafts for the Special Purpose Sniper that was cut from Halo 2 in that it would often hang upside-down from trees to get proper shots and whatnot. It essentially fought like a journalist, finding good shots to line up, taking them, and then immediately staying on the move towards another perch rather than holing up in a single location.

CwB6pJ3.png

I can't remember who exactly suggested it, but the Archer was originally next to defenseless in CQC, so I mitigated that by making it so when their shields dropped, they'd get aggressive and chase players. If it caught someone, it would grab them with all four arms, expose its "face" and then give them a kiss of death-style finisher with a jaw-mounted Boltshot mechanism. There was also an assassination idea I really liked with them where, if you managed to sneak up on them when they were hanging from a tree, you'd hit them in the back to knock them off, grab them by the calves and then smash them against the tree like you were cleaning out a rug.

The second was the Hacker, which would be a rare but fucking terrifying experience that was monumental enough to consider a sub-mission on its own when encountered.

vRKMFPB.png

Hackers start out as peaceful creatures that innocently wobble around the battlefield and disintegrate / compose destroyed vehicles, weapons, and occasionally corpses to clear up memory, mimicking the original idea behind the cut Keelbug from Halo 2. They're "disingenuously blind" in that they can sniff out stray unused equipment, but have to make occasional linear scans by beaming the ground and walls to identify targets. In this sense, they seem easy enough to kill - they look next to harmless and as one of the smallest Knight variants at about 7 feet, but if they happen to scan a player, then shit goes bad in about five seconds. Keep in mind all of the Hacker encounters would happen when the player wasn't with marine / covie allies to prevent them from startling the Hacker too easily.

IxBQKJS.png

The Hacker would then transform into its aggro mode which was by far the largest unit save for the "Dreadlock" unit (far right on the scale comparison), and each Hacker encounter would pretty much play out like the once-per-episode Tyrannosaurus kill in every Land Before Time movie: players would have to dodge its four bladed extremities and eventually lure it into traps or environmental hazards to weaken it, because their aggro'd forms have a ludicrous amount of shielding that recharges extremely quickly. Granted, there are some ways to get around it, but they would usually involve, like, Scorpion levels of damage output. It also navigates areas extremely quickly and makes use of its floating parts by "overlapping" limbs during locomotion in ways that make its movement patterns resemble a spider more than a biped. It could also climb walls and ceilings, if necessary. My original drafts for it also had it being the only Knight variation that ever actually exposed its "skull," which would make the encounters even more memorable. If you manage to kill it and leave a body behind, it would drop four Forerunner melee weapons, so enough for one per player at the most. And, if you happened to assassinate the aggro'd form (you can't cheese by waiting for a backsmack while it's transforming - it's got one of those "no-sell" AI attack patterns in the way Brute Chieftans covered their weak spots in Reach compared to Halo 3 ODST), it would cause every Promethean unit in the area to immediately retreat by teleporting, as well.

-Ryn

Banned
So much cool
I love the Hacker idea

Just imagining the assassination on that thing (if you could pull it off) sounds off. Though another way you could go about it is by shooting weak point(s) to stun or immobilize it, and then follow up by "boarding them" and planting one or 2 grenades in it.

The explanation on the Knight and its "Angel Wings" was very interesting. I liked the variety of Knight types you had as well. The sniper one is really cool.

Do you plan on using any of these designs for your own purposes or are they just thoughts for Halo?

I love the Hacker idea

Just imagining the assassination on that thing (if you could pull it off) sounds off. Though another way you could go about it is by shooting weak point(s) to stun or immobilize it, and then follow up by "boarding them" and planting one or 2 grenades in it.

The explanation on the Knight and its "Angel Wings" was very interesting. I liked the variety of Knight types you had as well. The sniper one is really cool.

Do you plan on using any of these designs for your own purposes or are they just thoughts for Halo?

I was considering a mechanic where once you downed the Hacker's shields you could damage the four bladed joints to dismember them and reduce their mobility, which would still cause them to drop melee weapons and thus give you a way to assassinate them more easily. It'd be a pretty lengthy assassination vignette rather than a single stab to kill, though.

The Hacker has two incarnations in a separate project: what's just been described, and then an outmoded prototype that's made its way into a people's folklore known as the Tin Man. A lot of the Halysis concepts have been reworked into a separate project with similar themes like a diverse cast of supersoldiers exploring a self-contained world, but that's getting into off-topic territory.

Tawpgun

Maybe this is a byproduct of launch maps... But the spawns in Halo 3 are all kinds of fucked.

I spawned in the line of fire and in front of enemies all the time it was some halo CE shit going on.

IHaveIce

Banned
Maybe this is a byproduct of launch maps... But the spawns in Halo 3 are all kinds of fucked.

I spawned in the line of fire and in front of enemies all the time it was some halo CE shit going on.
Yeah I had the same yesterday in Halo 2, both teams spawned on Blue Base.

Haruko

Those HCS offseason roster changes last night...

Noble Black...

elxu3xl.gif

I think I have this about right...

http://halo.esportspedia.com/wiki/PAX_East_2015#Results
^Click to see rosters as of the end of Season 1

OFFSEASON CHANGES:

IGOTURPISTOLA has recovered from injury and is the biggest Free Agent available.

CLOUD 9 appears to drop NINJA
CLOUD 9 begins practicing with PISTOLA (unofficial)
STR8 RIPPIN breaks up (unofficial)

OPTIC drops CONTRA
DENIAL drops RYANOOB

CLG drops HEINZ
CLG signs CLOUD (from Denial)
DENIAL signs HEINZ

A team of NADED, RYANOOB, RANDA, and CONTRA begins practicing

DENIAL offers APG (Noble Black), who declines in order to stay with his team
DENIAL then begins talks with NINJA from C9; starts practicing with him

OPTIC signs MANIAC (from Noble Black)
APG decides to take DENIAL'S offer
DENIAL signs APG (from Noble Black)
DENIAL has to tell NINJA his offer fell through and is no longer available.

MANIAC finds out that his contract with NOBLE BLACK prevents him from joining OPTIC
Turns out APG never actually signed his contract with NOBLE BLACK, his move to DENIAL is still official.

NOBLE BLACK signs PROTOTYPE
NOBLE BLACK signs STR8 SICK (from Str8 Rippin)
MANIAC is still under contract with NOBLE BLACK, but is not on the roster. Meaning he can do nothing. He is effectively a hostage.

ELEVATE drops SPARTAN

NOBLE BLACK finally comes to terms
$$$
with OPTIC to release MANIAC to them.

RESULT:

EG - Roy, Lethul, Snipedown, Lunchbox
CLG - Cloud, Ogre 2, Royal 2, Snakebite
Denial - Heinz, Mikwen, Chig, APG
Noble - Arkanum, Aries, Prototype, Str8 Sick
OpTic - Flamesword, Assault, Ace, Maniac
C9 - FearitSelf, Hysteria, VictoryX (Waiting on Pistola confirmation)
eLevate - Munoz, Gabriel, Shooter, ???
(not yet confirmed) - Naded, Ryanoob, Randa, Contra

Unknown: TSquared, Ninja, Legit, Spartan, etc....

>Arkanum and Aries fucked by Maniac after a stellar 3rd place finish at S1 Championship
Lethul from EG posted on TeamBeyond:
"I NEED to know what Optic told Maniac to get him to leave. There has to be something we are missing. THIS DOES NOT ADD UP. I HAVE BEEN THINKING ALL NIGHT AND I CAN'T THINK OF A SINGLE RATIONAL REASON AS TO WHY HE JOINED."

>Maniac held hostage by Noble (for a few hours at least).

>Ninja, the biggest Halo streamer in the world, "dropped" from 2 teams in 1 week

Noble Black...

elxu3xl.gif

OFFSEASON CHANGES:

IGOTURPISTOLA has recovered from injury and is the biggest Free Agent available.

OPTIC drops CONTRA
DENIAL drops RYANOOB

CLG drops HEINZ
DENIAL signs HEINZ

MANIAC finds out that his contract with NOBLE BLACK prevents him from joining OPTIC
Turns out APG never actually signed his contract with NOBLE BLACK, his move to DENIAL is still official.

MANIAC is still under contract with NOBLE BLACK, but is not on the roster. Meaning he can do nothing. He is effectively a hostage.

ELEVATE drops SPARTAN

$$$

RESULT:

>Arkanum and Aries fucked by Maniac after a stellar 3rd place finish at S1 Championship
"I NEED to know what Optic told Maniac to get him to leave. There has to be something we are missing. THIS DOES NOT ADD UP. I HAVE BEEN THINKING ALL NIGHT AND I CAN'T THINK OF A SINGLE RATIONAL REASON AS TO WHY HE JOINED."

>Ninja, the biggest Halo streamer in the world, "dropped" from 2 teams in 1 week

It reads like a big, nerdy soap opera.

IHaveIce

Banned
The Optic team is so fucking pathetic with such a name you only have these players??? Lol

Ninja should be on a team.
EG is perfect, finally Lethul gets the respect he deserves

Mix

Noble Black...

elxu3xl.gif

OFFSEASON CHANGES:

OPTIC drops CONTRA
DENIAL drops RYANOOB

CLG drops HEINZ
DENIAL signs HEINZ

ELEVATE drops SPARTAN

$$$

RESULT:

This was a rollercoaster from start to finish.

jem0208

The biggest problem I have with Halo eSports is that the teams change so damn much that actually following and supporting a single team is bloody difficult.

I think it's really dumb how often these dudes just drop their team and form new ones.

How does the playerbase ever root for a "team" if it's made up of 1-2-3 new guys every season?

Yup.

Ramirez

I think it's really dumb how often these dudes just drop their team and form new ones.

How does the playerbase ever root for a "team" if it's made up of 1-2-3 new guys every season?

Computer

The biggest problem I have with Halo eSports is that the teams change so damn much that actually following and supporting a single team is bloody difficult.

Yup.

This

I want to latch on to a team that I like and buy their shirt but how the hell could I? They change members every few weeks. 343 will have to address this in some way.

Haruko

This

I want to latch on to a team that I like and buy their shirt but how the hell could I? They change members every few weeks. 343 will have to address this in some way.

I'm thinking as time goes on, we'll see longer contracts offered by some of the bigger team sponsors which should help.

Professional LoL started getting into multi-year contracts fairly recently (within last 2~ years)

Impala26

As if there wasn't enough hurdles for Halo E-Sports to be well-regarded by the even the "gaming" mainstream...

It's a hard sell for sure.

belushy

Banned
That new Denial team looks really good. Still kinda mad about CLG bootin Heinz from the team so I think I'll root for Denial this season.

King Leo

Neo Member
It would be incredibly boring if everyone stayed on the same team. Imagine if that happened in the NBA or NFL. People love the drama and it's fun to follow.

Ramirez

It would be incredibly boring if everyone stayed on the same team. Imagine if that happened in the NBA or NFL. People love the drama and it's fun to follow.

Umm, if the NFL/NBA/MLB had star players moving from team to team every single year, you can bet your ass less people would care about it. Brands are built on your players, and considering these teams have only 4 people to begin with, it's even more important, IMO.

Multi year deals are a must if you want people to actually invest into a team. What's the point of them even having names if it's a different set of guys every year?

Computer

Ya but the issue is NBA or NFL teams are much bigger then a team of 4 people. They also have much longer seasons so trading is not happening every time a team dose not place well. Lets say I am a big fan of Pistola and now that he is on Cloud 9 I run out and buy up a bunch of Cloud 9 merchandise to support the team. Then in a few weeks he gets dropped and put on a different team. It can be frustrating as a fan for sure. In esports team names don't have the nostalgic reason for fans to support the team name. NBA NFL teams have support because they represent the city you live in. There is no such thing as a Local Halo team as in other sports so people cling to individual players.

King Leo

Neo Member
Umm, if the NFL/NBA/MLB had star players moving from team to team every single year, you can bet your ass less people would care about it. Brands are built on your players, and considering these teams have only 4 people to begin with, it's even more important, IMO.

Multi year deals are a must if you want people to actually invest into a team. What's the point of them even having names if it's a different set of guys every year?

Yeah I can see your point if someone is really supportive of a team. I'm still bummed out that Noble Black broke up. I liked them. But most people follow the individual player more so than the team. I only followed Str8 Rippin because Naded was on the roster. Same with C9 and Ninja. I know how often things can change so I'm not too stressed about it. It's true though.. you can't really invest in a team around here unless they are placing 1st or 2nd.

dwells

Having seen how a lot of the pro players behave, it's not a surprise they can't stay together for more than a year.

jelly

Fog_zpsgvkgtl8b.gif

Hmm.

I have my 360 and XB1 going to the same screen right now, and I'm comparing the 360 and XB1 versions of Halo 3 and Halo 4 in the same scenes where it's very easy to make out the bloom strength and radius, and I'm not seeing that it's been increased. Halo 3's looks basically the same, and although Halo 4's looks a little different, I wouldn't really say it looks "stronger" (the most obvious thing is that it's skinnier on the horizontal axis).

Maybe 343 will do better ports for the next gen Xbox. HALO SAGA in 4K. Shame they don't go above and beyond. The series done right and fixed up would be amazing with more care to the design and mood, CEA espicially and fixing up parts that need it like character models and techical limitations. Time is money of course but would be nice if they went that extra mile and made old games far better instead of not quite managing it and not even trying to go further werw needed.

Impala26

Having seen how a lot of the pro players behave, it's not a surprise they can't stay together for more than a year.

I'm glad someone tells it like it is.

Is this a Halo-specific thing? A competitive FPS-specific thing? Or is this simply pretty much what you get with any competitive E-Sports of an genre or platform?

Haruko

Is this a Halo-specific thing? A competitive FPS-specific thing? Or is this simply pretty much what you get with any competitive E-Sports of an genre or platform?

Overall, I'd say it's the latter.

Especially when you get young guys together in a gaming house who've never lived on their own before.

Fuchsdh

From what I've seen, the stereotype of eSports players acting like children isn't really tied to any one game or genre. StarCraft II had the rage-quitting Idra, WCIII had some bad players, and DotA has had a few examples (although I think they've kept the actual main events fairly drama-free.) And then there's the CoD tourney videos I've seen online where they're just hurling insults at the opposing team, or chucking controllers.

Haruko

Without Ogre 1 and Ogre 2 why is there even a league?

Ogre 2 is in the league, on CLG.

Ogre 1 retired, moved to Australia, and had a baby last year with his longtime girlfriend.

It'll be another 15~ years though before Ogre 1.5 is eligible to play in the HCS.

Welfare

Ogre 1 retired, moved to Australia, and had a baby last year with his longtime girlfriend.

It'll be another 15~ years though before Ogre 1.5 is eligible to play in the HCS.

Can't wait for Ogre 3 to bring the hype and Ogre 4 to be the worst.

-Ryn

Banned
Why does Esports sound like it's composed of 5 year olds?

I was considering a mechanic where once you downed the Hacker's shields you could damage the four bladed joints to dismember them and reduce their mobility, which would still cause them to drop melee weapons and thus give you a way to assassinate them more easily. It'd be a pretty lengthy assassination vignette rather than a single stab to kill, though.

The Hacker has two incarnations in a separate project: what's just been described, and then an outmoded prototype that's made its way into a people's folklore known as the Tin Man. A lot of the Halysis concepts have been reworked into a separate project with similar themes like a diverse cast of supersoldiers exploring a self-contained world, but that's getting into off-topic territory.
Ah I see. That'd be great if Halo had something like that.

Well that's some cool stuff so thanks. I'll have to jump over to the OT you made for your project sometime so we can chat some more about it.

willow ve

Final Boss, Final Boss, Final Boss! MLG events were most definitely the nerdiest thing I'll ever probably attend in my lifetime. Worth it.

I agree with everyone else that laments how quickly and easily major players change teams (or teams dissolve entirely).

There's no point it buying branded merchandise if the team doen't have any consistency. And without branded merchandise sales how are they driving revenue? Everything has to come from internet based advertisement? C'mon son.

IHaveIce

Banned
Watched a bit of Ninja's stream and he is pretty depressed right now. He has no team and may miss season 2.

It is crazy that people like Ninja have no team, yeah he is kind of a headcase but a better tactician and better shooter than many.

You want names? Maniac, Cloud, the whole other jumbos on C9 are all fucking worse than Ninja. I am in no means a fan of him or his highpitched streams but that guy should be picked up way before a dork like Cloud or maniac are considered lol.

Yes yes, poor spawns exist in every Halo game. It's been a thing fans complained about with each release.
Yeah I can see your point if someone is really supportive of a team. I'm still bummed out that Noble Black broke up. I liked them. But most people follow the individual player more so than the team. I only followed Str8 Rippin because Naded was on the roster. Same with C9 and Ninja. I know how often things can change so I'm not too stressed about it. It's true though.. you can't really invest in a team around here unless they are placing 1st or 2nd.
I feel the same way for the most part. Since there are no "home turfs" to support, like Tashi and I supporting the Mets because we grew up in NY (this is the yearrr), I too think most viewers invest in the players themselves and are interested in their journeys. Did Cleveland fans still watch Lebron on the Heat or did they continue watching the Cavaliers? Probably both tbh, but I think most stuck around with the Cavaliers. That isn't the case with Halo imo, many of Ninja's supporters aren't fans of Ninja because he plays on a team where they live, representing the state/community they are from, but for other reasons such as being interesting and being good.

Personally, I like that they change up teams. Keeps it fresh since we're not on the big-time scale of professional sports organizations where players get paid insane amounts of money and decisions/contracts are discussed so heavily because of the money/resources involved. The stakes are much higher, so there's more interest from the general public to seriously rep teams.

Also, a team may break up and make a new name between days, but the NY Knicks won't shut down and change their name because of a crappy season. So in that sense, that's why the players are the spotlight, not a team that isn't part of a larger organization. Although now that big names like EG are in the mix, maybe this'll change in the years to come, the "fans of an organization" will increase if they stick with Halo.

Welfare

It is crazy that people like Ninja have no team, yeah he is kind of a headcase but a better tactician and better shooter than many.

You want names? Maniac, Cloud, the whole other jumbos on C9 are all fucking worse than Ninja. I am in no means a fan of him or his highpitched streams but that guy should be picked up way before a dork like Cloud or maniac are considered lol.

It's funny because Maniac is the one that caused the shitstorm last night.

belushy

Banned

You could definitely make the case for Maniac and maybe Victory X and FiS... but I don't think Ninja is better than Cloud or Hysteria.

edit: I will say I didn't like how rude Hysteria always was to Ninja from some scrims I watched, though.

belushy

Banned
By the time Ogre 1's kid is old enough, Halo will be a VR game.
Probably not but interesting to think how gaming will be in 16+ years

Top Bottom