• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Welfare

I would think 343 would have the decency to allow the community to vote on what map was being remade. Relic is alright, but really? Better maps could've been chosen.

I would think 343 would have the decency to allow the community to vote on what map was being remade. Relic is alright, but really? Better maps could've been chosen.

The point is to look sympathetic, not be sympathetic. Relic is easy, Midship will be in Halo 5, and the rest are too hard.

jem0208

The point is to look sympathetic, not be sympathetic. Relic is easy, Midship will be in Halo 5, and the rest are too hard.
What? How is Relic any more or less difficult than any other map?

If anything it would be easier to make a small map, less new assets required.

IHaveIce

Banned
Honestly there was no option to do it right except for remaking all maps.

You can't please everyone and stuff but now the situation is just hilarious.
We have maps that were remade very often, only a few work on tournaments, but we also only have one real BTB map.

Welfare

Hey, so for forge in HCS Season 2, it seems 343 are really restrictive on what can come in.

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/hcs-season-2-official-map-thread.148259/page-6#post-1608776

1. Maps must look beautiful! Aesthetics are paramount for HCS viewership. An emphasis on natural terrain was communicated in addition to including more scenery objects such as crates, camping stools and cones.

2. No successors or remakes of previous Halo maps.

3. Maps must be symmetrical and must be able to play a variety of game types with a focus on CTF.

4. Frame rate must be flawless and optimized to support a 4v4 lobby.

4. Maps made on the Awash or Nebula canvas will not be considered as the lighting is unappealing for mass viewership.

4 surprises me the most. They literally limit 2/3rds of the forge canvases you can even use.

IHaveIce

Banned
Framerate must be flawless?
Useless scenery is a must?
This is pretty much impossible. The retail maps aren't even perfect in that regard.

Onyx and Simplex count as successors, right?

Welfare

This is pretty much impossible. The retail maps aren't even perfect in that regard.

I would think so. It would suck not seeing Onyx. That map is fun to play and watch.

Mix

I feel like Onyx would be fine, it's not really a successor as it is a reimagining. I loved Onyx as a stand alone/fresh take on what midship was.

belushy

Banned
Hey, so for forge in HCS Season 2, it seems 343 are really restrictive on what can come in.

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/hcs-season-2-official-map-thread.148259/page-6#post-1608776

4 surprises me the most. They literally limit 2/3rds of the forge canvases you can even use.

Yeah I read that a few days ago... Looks like we're gonna be stuck with Warlord/Shrine/Lockout for Season 2 again. I trust the forgers but not in the forge "tools" they have been given. Sucks for them considering all the time they put in to making and testing those maps.

NOKYARD

There are some really good maps in the pipeline which we will be putting in front of 343 shortly. Some of the Awash maps have already been moved to Skyward by their original builders. Unfortunately, Onyx's builder is AFK.

Here's one.

Akai__

343i should give people access to a map creator tool, if they want visually pleasing maps.

I think they care way too much, about how the maps look. Like, Halo 5's maps look way too busy with all those crazy details on the maps and I blame adding lore to MP.

Who actually cares, if you are fighting on a Covenant Cruiser of Truth? Who cares, that there is a cartographer on the map?

They care about the Forge maps looking nice because they'll be used a lot and they need to do all they can to keep even the fickle viewers around. Maybe they'll be more interested in watching competitive Halo if all the maps aren't just grey walls.

Akai__

They care about the Forge maps looking nice because they'll be used a lot and they need to do all they can to keep even the fickle viewers around. Maybe they'll be more interested in watching competitive Halo if all the maps aren't just grey walls.

Then don't include a map creator which is exactly that?

Besides that... Halo 3 MLG had Amplified and Onslaught, which were Forge maps and were actually pretty good ones. Nobody compalined about how they look, because they played great.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
There seems to have been some miscommunication that happened during the first test that happened last Friday. We'll clear it up and do some more testing this week.

Welfare

Then don't include a map creator which is exactly that?

Besides that... Halo 3 MLG had Amplified and Onslaught, which were Forge maps and were actually pretty good ones. Nobody compalined about how they look, because they played great.
Halo 3's forge didn't force white/grey blocks.

Halo 5 forge should have swappable textures on all pieces, or forge is just going to stay "useless".

You know, I never realized how much I loved the armor in 5 till today.

It was such a huge step up from 4 that it makes me wish they shown more of it in the beta. Nightfall was probably my favorite tbh.

Still wish they kept the diaper belts though.

FyreWulff

It's much harder to use the pretty objects and keep your framerate up, but it's doable.

I had a personal rule since I always thought of MM while making maps that I never went above 2500$ in Reach for any map. Always feels like if you go try to go too ornate and fall short, a map can look worse than if you just stay a bit more basic and let the idea of what it's supposed to be do the heavy lifting.

Still proud of my remake of Foundation that used like, 1800$ even though it never went anywhere.

belushy

Banned
Are we also considering Zanzibar and Blood Gulch slice? :)

I remember when a ton of forgers attempted to make Landfall from Halo 4 a bit smaller.

I think AGL also sliced Solace a bit to make it smaller, too.

Obviously none of them were popular. I think the Landfall was used at a tournament once but every pro whined about it.

Welfare

I remember when a ton of forgers attempted to make Landfall from Halo 4 a bit smaller.

I think AGL also sliced Solace a bit to make it smaller, too.

Obviously none of them were popular. I think the Landfall was used at a tournament once but every pro whined about it.

Landfall was trying to be turned into a 2v2 map from what I remember.

Also Solace slice was them cutting off the entire bottom floor.

belushy

Banned
Landfall was trying to be turned into a 2v2 map from what I remember.

Also Solace slice was them cutting off the entire bottom floor.

I remember a Solace slice version that closed off both the bases, too. Might not have been AGL.. UGC is my only other guess.

kosmologi

Reach absolutely nailed the Covenant save for possibly the Elites, but I think that lends itself more to Reach's art style. It's funny though, considering the concept art for them was absolutely perfect.

I agree that Reach has had the best overall art. However, early Halo Elites are the best looking, in my opinion. They are thinner and walk more upright, thus looking like the elite of the Covenant; noble warriors overseeing lesser beings such as Grunts and Jackals. Halo 3 Elites were a little bit too "thick" and dull and the animations in H3 engine really didn't help. Reach's Elites were more savage, but they had the best idle animations since Halo CE and the concepts were indeed nice. Halo 4's Elites are the worst; I didn't like the new anatomy at all but the armors were nice. It looks like we might see the return of the more traditional Elites in Halo 5, if the H2A Prologue/Epilogue is anything to go by. But here we see another problem which is the sudden shrinkage of the Elites or the sudden growth of Spartan IVs...

Elites from CE to Reach:
Elite_Comparisons.jpg

Halo Reach idle:
Bob_general.jpg

Halo 4 Elite:
halo-4-elite.jpg

Halo 2 Anniversary prologue Elite:
7YVxDLG.png

Slicing maps is something I would like to see more of.

Perfect Dark Zero sliced/sectioned maps depending on player count. That game was just too FUN, haters be damned ;]

Ramirez

Here's a novel idea, if you plan on trying to start a Halo league, make sure the game you're using has enough maps to keep it interesting. Relic was the cherry on top of the shit sundae for map selection and HCS.

Mix

We should have a HaloGAF forge contest. Prettiest, most symmetrical, etc. Then we submit the best to HCS. Would people be up for it?

jem0208

We should have a HaloGAF forge contest. Prettiest, most symmetrical, etc. Then we submit the best to HCS. Would people be up for it?

When the game first came out and matchmaking was completely and utterly broken I spent a good 6-7 hours making a very symmetrical map. I think I showed a few clips of it here actually.

I have no idea how it would play, it could be awful. But I thought it looked pretty cool.

Madness

What surprises me the most is no remakes or successors. We're playing a remastered multiplayer here for Halo 2 anniversary. Oh terrain and aesthetics matter but sorry we didn't allow natural water creation that would make maps look more beautiful. Also, the lighting on two of the forge variants that we created sucks and looks unappealing, don't use those two maps we made/provided.

Whoever thought 6 maps, (4 small/mid, and 1 mid/large and 1 large map) would be enough for H2A clearly has no clue. Even I'm already tired of playing on 1-3 maps over and over I can't imagine what the pros in HCS feel.

VinFTW

I don't know how much longer you guys are going to continue on with the supposed "guidelines" that are applied to Forge maps for HCS.

Bravo tweeted like a week ago, and now Tashi in here, that there was a miscommunication regarding said guidelines.

Welfare

I don't know how much longer you guys are going to continue on with the supposed "guidelines" that are applied to Forge maps for HCS.

Bravo tweeted like a week ago, and now Tashi in here, that there was a miscommunication regarding said guidelines.

You don't wait more than a week to correct a misunderstanding. If you want more maps, you have to make the guidelines clear and public.

But this is 343.

VinFTW

You don't wait more than a week to correct a misunderstanding. If you want more maps, you have to make the guidelines clear and public.

But this is 343.

Someone tweeted Bravo regarding the guidelines, he responded to let them know they misunderstood. Pretty simple stuff.

Not really defending 343 and all their super-excellent decision making but, come on now, this was known to be a misunderstanding since the 9th. I'll wait and see the correct guidelines before I get angry or upset.

That said, we need some more damn maps, for sure.

Welfare

Someone tweeted Bravo regarding the guidelines, he responded to let them know they misunderstood. Pretty simple stuff.

Not really defending 343 and all their super-excellent decision making but, come on now, this was known to be a misunderstanding since the 9th. I'll wait and see the correct guidelines before I get angry or upset.

But why should we wait? If the guidelines were misunderstood, that should mean they can give out the correct guidelines relatively quickly.

Madness

First I saw of the guidelines and first I'm hearing of the "miscommunication", so what does that really say? Bravo tweets like 100 responses a day though, and not everyone uses twitter. Any idea when the correct guidelines come?

Top Bottom