• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

dwells

For Halo 5 (not that I'm considering buying it) they need to offer forge palates that can completely change the look of a map instantly. Just like styles change a sketchup model without affecting any of the base geometry.

Would be great to play on The Pit in standard, TRON, orange, etc. styles. One style they should completely abandon is the "ultra realistic immersion style of realism"
As conspiracy-y as this is going to sound, I really believe that they intentionally limit Forge such that the maps it produces are visually unappealing and lack diversity. DLC maps make up the sole post-launch profit source for the Halo games, and a better Forge would encroach on those profits.

Think about it - the Halo map making community is incredibly dedicated. With the ability to do better lighting/objects/environments, etc., there's no doubt that there would be quite a few professional quality maps. Combine that with the fact that user maps tend to enter the matchmaking cycle, and there would be very little incentive to purchase new DLC maps. Why bother paying for a few new maps that not everyone will have when there's a huge supply of free maps that look just as good?

As things have been, every Forge map has been immediately identifiable as a Forge map. It's the same flat, depthless lighting and sea of grey blandness. If I recall correctly, Reach was particularly offensive in this regard in that the grey and flatness was so bad that it actually threw depth perception off.

While I suspect the quality of Forge to improve both visually and functionally, I don't think we'll ever see a point where Forge maps aren't immediately identifiable as such. I strongly believe that it's an intentional design choice to have them that way.

Welfare

343 aren't stupid enough to give maps as paid DLC in Halo 5. With HCS and them knowing how it splits the community, they can't give maps as paid DLC.

Aesthetic DLC will be all the rage.
With Forge textures as paid DLC

dwells

343 aren't stupid enough to give maps as paid DLC in Halo 5. With HCS and them knowing how it splits the community, they can't give maps as paid DLC.

Yeah, a shakeup of the DLC model will allow for a change in Forge.

That said, I don't think maps will become free just because there's going to be a bunch of other paid DLC. I expect to see paid weapon skins, armor sets, emblems, etc. (although, personally I think this type of thing cheapens the feel of a game and only belongs in free to play titles), but I'm guessing that they'll just be additional revenue since it's something everybody else (CoD) is doing these days.

I'm not so sure they're really so concerned about splitting the community. I wholly expect professional settings and base game settings to be different. There's zero chance of a no motion tracker and BR spawn default setting across all playlists.

Plus, with sprint being a toggle, there's a chance the pro community goes for increased base movement speed and no sprint, further separating from the base game.

Tawpgun

Nah, surely they won't do that. Why would everyone at 343 want million dollar bonuses from 12 year olds buying weed skins for their AR's?

While I dont expect this to be correct, I would be fine with it.
Paid DLC maps are a staple of multiplayer these days and they make money. Money=happening.

Glass

Yep, give me paid DLC in the form of skins and cosmetic choices any day, just don't split the game up any further then it has to with map packs.

Madness

Season Passes along with map packs are definitely happening for Halo 5. Even if it's not ideal, it makes Microsoft the most money and at the end of the day, that's all they want. They'll probably give some spiel about how they'll integrate them much better, provide incentives to purchase the season pass early, provide it with special and collectors editions again, etc. It's just an additional revenue stream for companies. Don't see it changing anytime soon. Saying they can offset it with weapon skins and other stuff isn't realistic, because they can keep both as they are. Charge for maps and skins, you just know people will buy.

What about early access Being paid And then after a certain time they become free to everyone, those who want to maps early will gladly pay and those who dont will get the maps any way, Just market it that way and there is no issue.

I am also ok with
Payed forge DLC

Season Passes along with map packs are definitely happening for Halo 5. Even if it's not ideal, it makes Microsoft the most money and at the end of the day, that's all they want. They'll probably give some spiel about how they'll integrate them much better, provide incentives to purchase the season pass early, provide it with special and collectors editions again, etc. It's just an additional revenue stream for companies. Don't see it changing anytime soon. Saying they can offset it with weapon skins and other stuff isn't realistic, because they can keep both as they are. Charge for maps and skins, you just know people will buy.
But all they would have to do is market every thing as "early Access" And then eventually give the maps away for free to everyone as to not separate users

Akai__

Nah, surely they won't do that. Why would everyone at 343 want million dollar bonuses from 12 year olds buying weed skins for their AR's?

They can rely on Speedy buying all the DLC...

Anyways, doubt it will happen. I'd be surprised, if they go free map DLC. Especially, after they pulled the 14 day play&buy and the last DLC, when there were 15k people peak left.

Computer

Map DLC is why the last few Halo's have shipped with such a low map count. Halo 5 better have a ton of maps on day one. I am never buying anther Halo map again. I bought every map in Halo 4 and still have not played on the H4 version of the pit.

Man it feels good to finally get into big team battle games in MCC without issue. Would anyone want to play for a little now, or at a later occasion in the near future? I play more than just big team battle. Gamertag is the same as my screen name here if interested. :)

jelly

Is a long term Halo 5 community in their best interests though?

Splitting the community and selling some map packs is a bonus, helps people move onto the next Halo game.

I don't think 343 would want Halo 5 at TF2 levels with those revenue streams for 5 years instead of a few blockbuster Halo games in the same time frame.

Leyasu

Banned

I would love this to be how they handle it.

Tawpgun

Is a long term Halo 5 community in their best interests though?

Splitting the community and selling some map packs is a bonus, helps people move onto the next Halo game.

I don't think 343 would want Halo 5 at TF2 levels with those revenue streams for 5 years instead of a few blockbuster Halo games in the same time frame.
People will jump on the new halo regardless. This community didn't like Reach and it hated Halo 4 but there wasn't exactly a mass exodus back to the better titles.

If halo 5 has a continuos revenue stream and good support it will give them more money and time to develop Halo 6, once that comes out they cut off support to halo 5 and full on support for halo 6.

Welfare

Y'all are crazy if you think maps will be free DLC. There's going to be a season pass, and you know it.

And 343 knows no one will be playing them 6 months after the game launches if you have to buy them.

If 343 is actually serious about HCS for Halo 5, then those maps have to be free. If there's an HCS playlist in Halo 5 and there are maps that people can't play because they cost money, less people will look at the HCS because they won't be playing the same maps.

At the very least, HCS maps = free.

Or even better (maybe). Let aesthetic DLC pay for the map packs. People buy shit loads of DLC, and because of it, we get free maps.

Just let maps be free :(

And 343 knows no one will be playing them 6 months after the game launches if you have to buy them.

If 343 is actually serious about HCS for Halo 5, then those maps have to be free. If there's an HCS playlist in Halo 5 and there are maps that people can't play because they cost money, less people will look at the HCS because they won't be playing the same maps.

At the very least, HCS maps = free.

Or even better (maybe). Let aesthetic DLC pay for the map packs. People buy shit loads of DLC, and because of it, we get free maps.

Just let maps be free :(

Hopefully they take the GTA route, let the micro-transaction pay for the DLC. As long as they don't have any achievements tied to them they they should totally be free of charge

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
bwBKPpT.gif

Impala26

Hopefully they take the GTA route, let the micro-transaction pay for the DLC. As long as they don't have any achievements tied to them they they should totally be free of charge

Shouldn't this be the other way around?
I'm kind of sick of basically having to PAY in order to get achievements... and I'm not even that serious about getting them.

The prodigal derp returns!
How ya been man?

Suggestion:

Paid DLC for competitive environment includes armor permutations, Banter voices and new victory vignettes.

Paid DLC for casual environment includes armor skins as well as ones for weapons. For readability's sake, casual DLC can not be used in competitive / ranked playlists.

Granadier

I'm kind of sick of basically having to PAY in order to get achievements... and I'm not even that serious about getting them.

The prodigal derp returns!
How ya been man?

Really good actually. New apartment, hitting the gym, more projects at work/school. It's been a good month. Makes me wonder about GAF...
I can't leave this

Damn, you've been gone a long time, welcome back!

It's been years. Thanks.

Don't do anything stupid now <3

I'll try my best. Can't promise anything with drunk-Gran though

I'm kind of sick of basically having to PAY in order to get achievements... and I'm not even that serious about getting them.?

Well MS has this BS DLC rule where if any DLC, map pack, expansion or otherwise has achievements tied to them then they cannot be free.

NeoXChaos

can someone here answer this question? I was playing halo reach and as I was waiting for a match to start, I checked xbox.com. Why is my real name shown on my profile in a grayed color?

I never noticed that before.

Granadier

I literally lol'd at my desk at work...
The best part is the guy turning to see you coming at like the last possible second--as if he couldn't fathom what was happening.

Priceless.

get back to work!

can someone here answer this question? I was playing halo reach and as I was waiting for a match to start, I checked xbox.com. Why is my real name shown on my profile in a grayed color?

I never noticed that before.

Probably because you've added your real name to your profile.

m23

Seeing as how Respawn is interested in making maps free for Titanfall 2, I think 343 should do something there. I'm tired of never being able to play dlc maps because the only way to play is in separate playlists only for dlc maps.

NeoXChaos

get back to work!

Probably because you've added your real name to your profile.

i dont remember doing that though ever. My name has always been on my email but never shown on xbox.com. I notice a few others have as well. Most of my FL is void of names however I use a Microsoft email that uses my actual name.

Anyway how do I remove it or prevent others from seeing it? I checked everywhere in my email options. outlook is a pain to get around and I cant find an option to hide my name or make it blank.

Granadier

i dont remember doing that though ever. My name has always been on my email but never shown on xbox.com. I notice a few others have as well. Most of my FL is void of names however I use a Microsoft email that uses my actual name.

Anyway how do I remove it or prevent others from seeing it? I checked everywhere in my email options. outlook is a pain to get around and I cant find an option to hide my name or make it blank.

Are you worried about it showing up on your Xbox Live account?

Seeing as how Respawn is interested in making maps free for Titanfall 2, I think 343 should do something there. I'm tired of never being able to play dlc maps because the only way to play is in separate playlists only for dlc maps.
Better thing is Titanfall has DLC maps in normal playlist rotation and will prioritize matchmaking players with DLC together to play on DLC maps.

jelly

I think EA might have a word with Respawn to put a stop to that.

A lot depends on the series development, a yearly franchise takes what they can get and doesn't mind throwing users under the bus to get their big front loaded sales for the next game. A three year Halo or Titanfall should be retaining a user base at all costs and taking advantage with cosmetic premiums and game expansions for free to keep the community growing and invested not hoping for that extra 10%.

Top Bottom