• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

I think EA might have a word with Respawn to put a stop to that.

A lot depends on the series development, a yearly franchise takes what they can get and doesn't mind throwing users under the bus to get their big front loaded sales for the next game. A three year Halo or Titanfall should be retaining a user base at all costs and taking advantage with cosmetic premiums and game expansions for free to keep the community growing and invested not hoping for that extra 10%.
Respawn is not owned by EA tho. Titanfall is published via the EA Partners program.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It does show it if you search me up on xbox.com but not or my 360. Idk about the Bone though because I dont have it.

You can edit your privacy settings on Xbox.com so that it will no longer show.

I searched through my Outlook and other accounts though for a "name removal" option, but it doesn't seem to exist. It looks like when they migrated over to using names as your profile identifier, with Skype and such, they got rid of the option for custom usernames.

daedalius

Voted for Roy.

Eh, throwing this out there to gauge interest...

Would some peeps be willing to try this earlier in day this Saturday or Sunday? Ideally looking for those folks who haven't done it or haven't done much of it. Myself, Kittens and Mix are examples.

Apologies beforehand if I'm annoying folks with this... :-/

How early?

Impala26

Eh, throwing this out there to gauge interest...

0qpMXne.jpg

Would some peeps be willing to try this earlier in day this Saturday or Sunday? Ideally looking for those folks who haven't done it or haven't done much of it. Myself, Kittens and Mix are examples.

Apologies beforehand if I'm annoying folks with this... :-/

NeoXChaos

You can edit your privacy settings on Xbox.com so that it will no longer show.

I searched through my Outlook and other accounts though for a "name removal" option, but it doesn't seem to exist. It looks like when they migrated over to using names as your profile identifier, with Skype and such, they got rid of the option for custom usernames.

Thanks. I will ask tunavi. maybe he knows. I see his name on xbox.com under his tag.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
thats odd. I dont see your name under yours.

Are we friends on there? I have it blocked for friends of friends, but it says it's allowed for friends.

Maybe I haven't set up my real name or something. I'll check when I get home.

Booshka

New Kendrick is fucking fire, funk, soul, and jazz fusion with hip hop? That's like my dream genre.

Halo music is alright too I guess.

jem0208

No, it's not. That's just Jem being the conductor of the Bad Opinion Train again. H3 flood are freaking obnoxious. Multiple forms to contend with, some of them being a real pain in the ass.

The standard forms can die from a single headshot though. Makes mowing them down far more satisfying. They also explode into gibs if you melee them. H3 flood is 1000x better than H2 flood, 10x better than CE flood.

The multiple forms also give a tiny bit of variety to the flood. Before they were all the same and damn boring.

What about pure forms though?

Even with the pure forms I prefer the H3 flood. I kinda treat the pure forms like hunters, they're tougher and a bit annoying but they offer up a bit of variety. Which is far better than the flood offerings from H2 and CE.

Detective

I was just watching the odst reveal trailer. The rain, the night and feeling of that trailer was amazing. I really hope we get some night rainy level in H5. I miss that mystery exploration feel in halo.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah, personally I just think it's a competition/money thing.

Doesn't happen as much in professional physical sports because of contracts and the guys get paid win or lose (they only seem to get pissy when money is involved or if someone is throwing shade to their performance)
That's probably it.

I just don't get it when people flip out like that.
Losing sucks but throwing a fit and by extension, a controller, is just dumb. It's whatever in the end I guess.

HTupolev

The standard forms can die from a single headshot though. Makes mowing them down far more satisfying.
Except that you're not actually *doing* much, since they're very passive enemies. Bungie was trying to allow Flood levels to have some sort of "paced" midrange combat by forcing the Flood to be timid until they're up close and hit hard, but the slow drip that occurs when this mechanism is actually used isn't particularly inspiring. And when the Flood actually close in, you get something that resembles a clumsier and melee-focused version of Halo 1's glorious dancing.

In general, Halo 3's Flood seem sort of over-designed. Bungie succeeded in creating a variety of encounter types, but it tends to not really nail it.

I don't dislike it per se, but Flood gameplay isn't really the highlight of Halo 3, and Halo 1's Flood gameplay is more elegant and exciting.

DJ Gunner

Halo 3 flood is a joke until Cortana and that singular level makes h3 flood the worst. The pistol tears h1 flood apart, you have the sword in 2 and can headshot them as well in that game. Throw multiple forms at you with a long range attack in a level full of cramped corridors and it's a ragefest.

jem0208

Except that you're not actually *doing* much, since they're very passive enemies. Bungie was trying to allow Flood levels to have some sort of "paced" midrange combat by forcing the Flood to be timid until they're up close and hit hard, but the slow drip that occurs when this mechanism is actually used isn't particularly inspiring. And when the Flood actually close in, you get something that resembles a clumsier and melee-focused version of Halo 1's glorious dancing.

In general, Halo 3's Flood seem sort of over-designed. Bungie succeeded in creating a variety of encounter types, but it tends to not really nail it.

I don't dislike it per se, but Flood gameplay isn't really the highlight of Halo 3, and Halo 1's Flood gameplay is more elegant and exciting.

I definitely don't consider the flood to be a highlight of 3, it's certainly the low point. However I prefer it to the 2 and CE's attempts. I don't find CEs flood exciting at all. It's all just flood running towards you. It can get a bit hectic at points but it's extremely repetitive. Combine that with the very, very "copy paste" level design of the flood levels and it just feels like a massive slog with no real thought put in. The initial reveal of the flood on the other hand was absolutely fantastic and very effectively made them feel creepy as fuck. Actually, the whole atmosphere in CE is fantastic, so that's one thing the flood levels had going for them.

HTupolev

It's all just flood running towards you.
Obviously the AI mechanics are simple, but in motion this means all sorts of geometry-aware dancing, at least on high difficulty (obviously on easy and normal you could pretty much play exactly like you do against Covenant and not break a sweat, since the Flood simply aren't tough or powerful enough to pose a threat).

What's your opinion of Doom?

Obviously the AI mechanics are simple, but in motion this means all sorts of geometry-aware dancing, at least on high difficulty (obviously on easy and normal you could pretty much play exactly like you do against Covenant and not break a sweat, since the Flood simply aren't tough or powerful enough to pose a threat).

overrated trash, relies too much on throwing numbers at you rather than actual intelligent encounters, too dudebro, audio quality is atrocious, memory required to play is too low for it to be a good game

jem0208

Initially I agree the jumping around and avoiding the flood is quite exciting, but I felt it lost its appeal due to all the geometry being the same throughout the level, again it just became a bit repetitive.

I adore Doom. I recently replayed most of the original with my brother in splitscreen (Doom 3 LE for the OG Xbox is so good, steel box and everything) and it was SO much fun. The combat mechanics are obviously quite dated, however the maze-like levels are so well designed that it completely makes up for the somewhat boring combat. That said the movement is actually quite good, it's very fun to sprint around avoiding projectiles whilst being chased by Pinkys. Still, the best aspect of it is the level design, they're almost like puzzles filled with secrets and Demons.

Why do you ask?

Top Bottom