• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

GrizzNKev

Banned
I like the Flood. I like The Library too. Even on Legendary. Maybe the first 20 times it sucked, but after a while it becomes relaxing.

The Covenant force you to control the combat of an engagement, but the Flood force you to control the movement of the engagement. The Library is a good way to practice running and gunning, which likewise carries over into multi. With stuff like ADS and Sprint you sure as hell couldn't have a mission like The Library again.

Impala26

Do people actually like the Flood?

tl;dr: I don't like the Flood, dwells is salty and complains a lot, etc.

You're not far off. In my opinion, the best Flood levels are the ones where there are interesting skirmishes between the Flood and the other enemy factions (Covenant, Sentinels). The series as a whole needed more of the really cool three-way skirmishes that only really existed in a few spots on the CE levels of Two Betrayals and The Maw.

Gotta love those precious seconds when you're hunkered down contemplating when and who to start attacking to make the next encounter go smoothly.

GrizzNKev

Banned
The Covenant force you to control the combat of an engagement, but the Flood force you to control the movement of the engagement. The Library is a good way to practice running and gunning, which likewise carries over into multi. With stuff like ADS and Sprint you sure as hell couldn't have a mission like The Library again.

There's just a certain flow to mowing them down with a shotgun in CE that is completely unique to the entire series.

willow ve

Damn, still haven't been able to have a single raid with 6 people? It's been weeks man lol. Just shows that they should definitely implement some form of matchmaking eventually for Destiny 2. For some people it's easy to get a raid party going, for others it's tough to organize a time, get enough people available etc.
Having played the raids with randoms and with organized friend groups I can say that raids are very very difficult with random matching. Some of that would be solved over time as people would attempt raids over and over and would eventually learn what to do, but there are still parts of each raid that absolutely require communication to pull off. Raids today should absolutely have a toggle that allows anyone to join you if you want. That way you could start with a few friends and have randoms JIP to fill out your party.

Impala26

Damn, still haven't been able to have a single raid with 6 people? It's been weeks man lol. Just shows that they should definitely implement some form of matchmaking eventually for Destiny 2. For some people it's easy to get a raid party going, for others it's tough to organize a time, get enough people available etc.

Well, there's several reasons behind this:

1) I've been trying to set it up specifically with as many HaloGAF and newbie people such as myself for an enjoyable, humorous first time experience
2) I really only have the time to commit to this on the weekends
3) Since the last proper attempt at the end of February, my last few weekends have been occupied
4) The last mega patch for MCC dropped in the interim
5) Mix... I blame Mix for everything that's wrong with my life currently.
<3

That about sums it up. Trust me, those spastic DGAF folks who apparently can play the game for like at least 5 hours a day every day since it released would set up a raid in like 10 minutes at the drop of a hat. Just wanted to make the first one special and fun with HaloGAF buddies--I'm a hopeless romantic and a sham, lol.

matchmaking wouldn't work with raids lol.

Impala26

matchmaking wouldn't work with raids lol.

The only way I could see it working is if it only matched two already-formed fireteams of three. Otherwise chaos supreme.

The biggest issue is that you can never MANDATE someone to use a mic. Even if there was somehow a way to detect one plugged in for everybody, you couldn't force them to actually USE it.

You down for 2pm EST Saturday or Sunday?

dwells

I like the Flood. I like The Library too. Even on Legendary. Maybe the first 20 times it sucked, but after a while it becomes relaxing.
If something requires twenty playthroughs before it stops sucking, it might not be the best example of level design...

GrizzNKev

Banned
If something requires twenty playthroughs before it stops sucking, it might not be the best example of level design...

I'm just saying you take a different perspective on things so many years later. Not that I had to play it a bunch of times to understand it.

The only way I could see it working is if it only matched two already-formed fireteams of three. Otherwise chaos supreme.

The biggest issue is that you can never MANDATE someone to use a mic. Even if there was somehow a way to detect one plugged in for everybody, you couldn't force them to actually USE it.

yes, just send me a message on xbl.

Mix

Cool. Still shooting for like 2pm Saturday, but may move to Sunday.

Daedy, you still down? Would one day work better than the other?

Gringo, aHebrewMenagerie, IHaveIce, Tawpgun, Jellycrackers, Mix (wherever the hell you've been lately)... any of you guys still interested or have preference to a particular day and/or time?
Anyone else who's in here even semi-regularly and has Destiny for XB1 you're welcome to chime in too.

I'M ALIVE!!

I'm down, I just need to know when and what time, my best days are typically going to be saturday nights or sundays

Kssio_Aug

I actually didnt desliked the flood in Halo 1. In Halo 2 however they were boring and frustrating as hell!

In both cases I always enjoyed much more the Grunts and Elites/Brutes combats though!

Impala26

I'M ALIVE!!

I'm down, I just need to know when and what time, my best days are typically going to be saturday nights or sundays

It's in the very message you quoted, ya dolt! :p
Trying for Saturday, but might move it a bit later in the day or to a similar time Sunday.

willow ve

yes, just send me a message on xbl.

I would be down for VoG run on Sunday at 2pm EST. Feel free to friend request and drop into my fireteam whenever you see me on. I rarely have a mic unless raiding - but generally play for an hour-ish every day doing Roc Strikes or random bounties / patrol.

GT : same as GAF name (you guys are playing on X1 right?)

Impala26

I would be down for VoG run on Sunday at 2pm EST. Feel free to friend request and drop into my fireteam whenever you see me on. I rarely have a mic unless raiding - but generally play for an hour-ish every day doing Roc Strikes or random bounties / patrol.

GT : same as GAF name (you guys are playing on X1 right?)

Yeah XB1, so I'll add ya. Kittens and myself kinda started playing semi-regularly in the same vein. It's hooked me in the "daily grind" more than MCC has, which isn't so much a knock on MCC because it's a collection of games I've already played the shit out of for years. That said, I still actually like the MCC and it's absolutely friggin awesome that I'll now always* be able to go back and play some classic Halo (and with friends) whenever I want. Definitely will be going back to MCC more often over a longer time than Destiny, but for now the latter simply has more of my attention
and Pokémon, lol

Still gonna try for Saturday though cause that's looking better for me, but will keep folks posted. I may designate someone as "backup commander" in case family activities decide to sabotage me so that we can just finally say we got this off the ground for those who want to do it.

Madness

I just meant giving people the option is still better than not giving them the option. Some people make it seem like it's near impossible to have a good raid matching with randoms, but maybe there can be certain toggles or factors that are required before you could do so. If there is a level requirement for matchmaking, or having already cleared the raid once on normal or hard etc.

At this point, I'm pretty sure almost anyone still playing Destiny everyday could do vault of glass or crotas end on normal easily. Imagine if instead of trying to find people to raid, you could just try and matchmake and find some all level 32 to raid with. Again, it's just the option I was talking about. Surely there could be some way to implement it? Just like Reach did get co-op matchmaking for campaign and firefight if you wanted to go that route.

Fuchsdh

The Flood have always been best as a contrast to change up your tactics, and as part of multi-faction fights. Halo 1 had this, and Halo 2-3 didn't to the same degree.

I think for me the best blend of the different variations would be tweaked Halo 2 Flood plus the insta-infection ability from Halo 3. The ability to disable via headshots is good, and comes with the balance that a stray infection form might create a new threat. Halo 3 made going melee against the Flood far too easy to win—while I don't necessarily think they should be nearly invincible to melee attacks like they were in Halo 1 and 2, higher-than-normal resistance is important to their scariness factor, and the fact that they shouldn't just act like other enemies, just reskinned. I'm not sure about the destruction of host bodies—having it be the Energy Sword only worked in Halo 2 but I'm not sure it would work in all instances.

Finally, we need more multifaction battles in Halo in general. Deciding which side to thin out first, or whether you can simply run past battles entirely adds a lot to the campaign on the first and subsequent run-throughs.

Ramirez

v1q3QQ.gif

More fun than current MCC. ;p

Impala26

I just meant giving people the option is still better than not giving them the option. Some people make it seem like it's near impossible to have a good raid matching with randoms, but maybe there can be certain toggles or factors that are required before you could do so. If there is a level requirement for matchmaking, or having already cleared the raid once on normal or hard etc.

At this point, I'm pretty sure almost anyone still playing Destiny everyday could do vault of glass or crotas end on normal easily. Imagine if instead of trying to find people to raid, you could just try and matchmake and find some all level 32 to raid with. Again, it's just the option I was talking about. Surely there could be some way to implement it? Just like Reach did get co-op matchmaking for campaign and firefight if you wanted to go that route.

You're definitely on to something with this. Even if individual users can't make custom matchmaking search toggles, they could automatically set some sort of stipulation like minimum level required at one above the suggested level, or players must have completed the Raid at least once on that difficulty or be in a fireteam with at least one person who has. Surely Bungie, one of the big innovators of console online matchmaking could come up with SOME system, no?

I think it definitely could be done, but I will admit it's more tricky with how long the raids are and the fact that they need SIX people working together cooperatively. They did finally establish matchmaking for the weekly heroic strikes, so there's some progress with this sort of thing.

More fun than current MCC. ;p

Thanks Ram for not giving me shit for talking about Destiny when based on our previous discussions I sounded kinda salty. You're a bigger man than I, haha. I'm mostly enjoying the game now for what it IS rather than what I initially wanted it to be--which in all honestly probably wasn't feasibly attainable for ANY developer.

Tawpgun

I can see maybe opening up raid MM down the line.

But let's take another example of a coop mode that requires a lot of teamwork. GTAV Heists. They have open matchmaking. I've tried it with randos.

Fuckin terrible. If there was a way to guarantee someone having a mic before going into MM I would say maybe its possible but matchmaking with randoms proved to be a terrible experience.

Haruko

So I've been out of the loop here for a little bit. Has there been any news on BTB in Halo 5?

I asked about the chances of a BTB Beta, but 343 staff at PAX East still say that there are no further H5 betas planned at this time.

No other news really on H5 besides an additional feedback survey that went out a week or two ago

dwells

Finally, we need more multifaction battles in Halo in general. Deciding which side to thin out first, or whether you can simply run past battles entirely adds a lot to the campaign on the first and subsequent run-throughs.
I'm still dreaming of a standalone Halo entry that would be kind of a reboot and totally different in combat style to all the other games.

Something that follows the lore in the Fall of Reach or the live action clips. A single Needler round to the chest means a dead marine. Grunts and Jackals are formidable opponents. A lone Elite is a threat to a Spartan, and neither are bullet sponges. Spartans are more the special forces of the future than they are demigods.

I'm telling you, a Fall of Reach inspired squad-based tactical shooter that begins with Spartans in their original role as uprising suppression forces and transitions into intense combat with the Covenant would be amazing.

Impala26

I'm still dreaming of a standalone Halo entry that would be kind of a reboot and totally different in combat style to all the other games.

Something that follows the lore in the Fall of Reach or the live action clips. A single Needler round to the chest means a dead marine. Grunts and Jackals are formidable opponents. A lone Elite is a threat to a Spartan, and neither are bullet sponges. Spartans are more the special forces of the future than they are demigods.

I'm telling you, a Fall of Reach inspired squad-based tactical shooter that begins with Spartans in their original role as uprising suppression forces and transitions into intense combat with the Covenant would be amazing.

So basically Landfall, Forward Unto Dawn and that kick-ass ODST commercial combat rules pretty much?

I'd play, been quite the dearth of tactical shooters lately too.
:)

Tawpgun

Towards the end of Halo 3 I was getting kinda tired of it (I played sooooo much)

And when that first art and trailer for Halo Reach came out I was incredibly excited because I thought we were getting something more tactical. Was kinda disappointed when it was just another typical Halo game.

And then more disappointed when it was a bad halo game.

Ramirez

Thanks Ram for not giving me shit for talking about Destiny when based on our previous discussions I sounded kinda salty. You're a bigger man than I, haha. I'm mostly enjoying the game now for what it IS rather than what I initially wanted it to be--which in all honestly probably wasn't feasibly attainable for ANY developer.

I don't give anyone shit! A man of the people.

Elzar, add me. TJ Ram

Yeah the lack of any... well anything regarding the revelation that Chief
AKA Hero of the galaxy
AKA Savior of all you shits
AKA Space Jesus
was alive was really a major fail.

The Spartan II's have been public knowledge since before Reach in an effort to raise morale. They were awe inspiring because of their legendary reputation in battle. Having one basically meant your chance of living just Sky rocketed.

Palmer's just a disrespectful dick all around and Del Rio is, as you said, an ass tool.

I meant the truth about the program not just the Spartans themselves, Im pretty sure they also changed the designation from MIA to KIA as a means to honor those who did die, along with the spartan IV's

I actually think Palmer has a lot of potential, She is miss guided on many things but she has major potenial, She is a bit better in the comics and was way better characterized in the New Blood novel

Rio has nothing lol

-Ryn

Banned
I like the flood. Especially from a story perspective. They're terrifying.

From a gameplay standpoint I've never hated them and when I played Halo CE, I didn't know about them, so their reveal was a surprise to me that was really well done imo. Don't see that kind of stuff anymore.

I meant the truth about the program not just the Spartans themselves, Im pretty sure they also changed the designation from MIA to KIA as a means to honor those who did die, along with the spartan IV's

I actually think Palmer has a lot of potential, She is miss guided on many things but she has major potenial, She is a bit better in the comics and was way better characterized in the New Blood novel

Rio has nothing lol
Ah I see

Though I'm not sure how public they went with that knowledge, and the MIA thing is still going as far as I know, I still think the lack of any kind of reaction to the Chiefs survival was a major writing fumble. Even considering the Spartans origins being made known, you would think that would just make people respect them more. It's especially jarring though because it's the Chief, who is well known as the one who stopped the Flood with the Arbiter (if I recall correctly). Blegh... it just didn't sit right with me.

Perhaps Palmer can be redeemed. If she can gain some character development then I could see her turning out to be pretty good. She didn't have any redeeming qualities in Halo 4 and Spops so hopefully they can fix that in H5.

That guy's so dad

Impala26

Rio has nothing lol

I must be the only one who didn't mind Del Rio around here. Obviously by that I don't mean I like the guy himself, but it was interesting for once for Chief to actually have a foil who was human. Every higher ranking officer in the series before H4 was always just hey buddy buddy with the Chief rather than anyone ever giving him shit for some of the situations he got into. Real military institutions aren't always so friendly and there's most certainly a pecking order and everyone has their own agenda, even if that someone walks around in a half ton suit of armor and is the so-called "savior of humanity".

Del Rio definitely fills that niche to me of asshole bad guy you love to hate (and hope to see their comeuppance)--akin to James Gandolfini's character in The Last Castle or Bob Gunton's in Shawshank Redemption.

Mistel

Banned
Something like a halo rainbow six would be pretty fun to play.

I was thinking, what if they took a third option with regards to old halo versus new halo and offered two campaigns? The "classical" campaign would feature a playable Arbiter and Chief with more open-ended spaces and most of the plot coming from gameplay interactions, while the "quantum" campaign would feature a playable Locke and Buck and feature more Halo 3 ODST / 4 missions that were slightly more linear and cinematic with more of a lore focus in cutscenes. Missions would take the Halo 2 approach of sectioning things off rather than having huge gauntlet missions like The Pillar of Autumn (Reach), and also allow for more story beats and trade-offs. There could just as well be "concurrent" missions where, for example, the Classical mission has Chief scrambling through the cyberpunk Mos Eisley-esque sprawl seen in concept art, while the Quantum mission has Locke following in pursuit. This would also allow them to consolidate factions and emerging plot elements more easily and ultimately tie things up enough to have something resembling a cohesive plot for Halo 6. Classical could feature Chief and his (sparse) human allies, the Lights of Sanghelios, possibly Flood, the occasional Forerunner sentry, and a more dedicated "Promethean" enemy class with the possibility of Forerunner Ecumene allies like the Librarian. Chief's story would focus more on old macguffins like Mendicant Bias or trying to revive Cortana. Quantum could feature ONI as the allied faction, and you'd be mostly fighting Covenant Remnant (Jul's) forces, Promethean Knight automaton reduxes, and occasionally Insurrectionist forces. I think killing humans should only be coming up in extreme circumstances to punctuate events and only be done as a last resort rather than mowing them down left and right. Locke's story could doubly focus on human interactions like Palmer and Halsey.

I must be the only one who didn't mind Del Rio around here. Obviously by that I don't mean I like the guy himself, but it was interesting for once for Chief to actually have a foil who was human. Every higher ranking officer in the series before H4 was always just hey buddy buddy with the Chief rather than anyone ever giving him shit for some of the situations he got into. Real military institutions aren't always so friendly and there's most certainly a pecking order and everyone has their own agenda, even if that someone walks around in a half ton suit of armor and is the so-called "savior of humanity".

Del Rio definitely fills that niche to me of asshole bad guy you love to hate (and hope to see their comeuppance)--akin to James Gandolfini's character in The Last Castle or Bob Gunton's in Shawshank Redemption.
What crap did MC get into though? The last time they saw or heard anything about him, MC had just finished saving the galaxy lol. Del Rio's attitude and characterization did not make sense. He really seemed out of place as I would have liked a more stern, respectable and less bitchy UNSC force to "question" MC. Who's Del Rio? Why should we care about this random nerd screaming at the Chief? But if he was more subliminal or psychological in his conversation with the Chief that inferred something deeper going on that made the player stop and think instead of, "Screw this shouting babby, MC is in the right no matter what!"

Squandered potential.

How do you talk to the single human bean that has and will continue to save your life with such little respect? The guy's an idiot and there's nothing interesting to it imo. Felt like his only purpose was to emphasize Lasky's good heart and probably to make you hate Palmer a little less, instead of creating a complex relationship between MC and the UNSC. Del Rio felt like an unnecessary throwaway character.

HTupolev

The issue with Del Rio is that he's just a foil, and a somewhat nonsensical one. He's delivering focused bitching right off the bat. 343i even has other characters makeup random stuff to whine about around Del Rio (i.e. Chief/Cortana complaining about the recon situation, which would be realistically fair but comes out of nowhere in terms of Haloverse mechanics).

The individual scenes around it are sort of well-executed in isolation, but the whole thing just doesn't feel natural. Might as well have had Del Rio break the fourth wall in his first on-screen appearance to tell the player that he's a foil for the other characters.

dwells

The issue with Del Rio is that he's just a foil, and a somewhat nonsensical one. He's delivering focused bitching right off the bat. 343i even has other characters makeup random stuff to whine about around Del Rio (i.e. Chief/Cortana complaining about the recon situation, which would be realistically fair but comes out of nowhere in terms of Haloverse mechanics).

The individual scenes around it are sort of well-executed in isolation, but the whole thing just feels transparently, I don't know, injected?
His character was incredibly poorly written and acted to the point of being utterly ridiculous.

They might as well have called him Captain Antagonist, because he was absolutely nothing more than a two dimensional plot device.

I actually like Del Rio role in Halo 4, it showed for the first time to the players Chief cant do whathever he wants to do and obey the orders of an higher autority than him, Del Rio was a big wall of "you have to do on my way and not yours" because there are lives to save in the ship and the ship was more important than trying to stop the Didact but of course in the end Chief did what he do and Rio was removed from the Infinity

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I was thinking, what if they took a third option with regards to old halo versus new halo and offered two campaigns? The "classical" campaign would feature a playable Arbiter and Chief with more open-ended spaces and most of the plot coming from gameplay interactions, while the "quantum" campaign would feature a playable Locke and Buck and feature more Halo 3 ODST / 4 missions that were slightly more linear and cinematic with more of a lore focus in cutscenes. Missions would take the Halo 2 approach of sectioning things off rather than having huge gauntlet missions like The Pillar of Autumn (Reach), and also allow for more story beats and trade-offs. There could just as well be "concurrent" missions where, for example, the Classical mission has Chief scrambling through the cyberpunk Mos Eisley-esque sprawl seen in concept art, while the Quantum mission has Locke following in pursuit. This would also allow them to consolidate factions and emerging plot elements more easily and ultimately tie things up enough to have something resembling a cohesive plot for Halo 6. Classical could feature Chief and his (sparse) human allies, the Lights of Sanghelios, possibly Flood, the occasional Forerunner sentry, and a more dedicated "Promethean" enemy class with the possibility of Forerunner Ecumene allies like the Librarian. Chief's story would focus more on old macguffins like Mendicant Bias or trying to revive Cortana. Quantum could feature ONI as the allied faction, and you'd be mostly fighting Covenant Remnant (Jul's) forces, Promethean Knight automaton reduxes, and occasionally Insurrectionist forces. I think killing humans should only be coming up in extreme circumstances to punctuate events and only be done as a last resort rather than mowing them down left and right. Locke's story could doubly focus on human interactions like Palmer and Halsey.

PYJNmCb.jpg

hire sub

The individual scenes around it are sort of well-executed in isolation, but the whole thing just doesn't feel natural. Might as well have had Del Rio break the fourth wall in his first on-screen appearance to tell the player that he's a foil for the other characters.

AAA++ assessment. I guess they even wanted the TTUVAPORs of the world to "get" that they weren't supposed to like the character.

I like the flood. Especially from a story perspective. They're terrifying.

From a gameplay standpoint I've never hated them and when I played Halo CE, I didn't know about them, so their reveal was a surprise to me that was really well done imo. Don't see that kind of stuff anymore.

Ah I see

Though I'm not sure how public they went with that knowledge, and the MIA thing is still going as far as I know, I still think the lack of any kind of reaction to the Chiefs survival was a major writing fumble. Even considering the Spartans origins being made known, you would think that would just make people respect them more. It's especially jarring though because it's the Chief, who is well known as the one who stopped the Flood with the Arbiter (if I recall correctly). Blegh... it just didn't sit right with me.

Perhaps Palmer can be redeemed. If she can gain some character development then I could see her turning out to be pretty good. She didn't have any redeeming qualities in Halo 4 and Spops so hopefully they can fix that in H5.

That guy's so dad
Yeah I get that, IM not sure if the UNSC used him as a "PR" kind of thing for the end of the Covenants/Flood war. IDK, But i definitely get where you're coming from, Thought it could be that everyone involved were just think "this is way above my paygrade" Kind of thing. And the banter with Palmer just seems to be the way with Spartan IV's Who are much more socialized.

Palmer is tough cuz really she's not really been focused on we don't now much about here the EU is expanding on that so you get more characterization. I do hate the repetitive Egg heads thing, that's just annoying. She is definitely passionate that for sure

I do Like seeing Chief Stand up for himself, So to speak. He knows hes right and knows he has to do the right thing even if it means disobeying and order.

ANd i do like the confrontation.

How would you guys feel if 343 added a feature in forge mode to place invisible points on the maps where a player (s) can super bounce like if you were to glitch/super bounce in Halo 2?

-Ryn

Banned

Personally I don't love to hate him. He's just a meaningless character to me who is a waste of space. He frustrates me more than anything because his actions bad attitude don't make any sense.

"Hey it's the Master Chief! I better oppose everything he says because obviously he's an incompetent idiot based on his track record and has the least experience with this 'Didact' or whatever. Let's ignore any of his council and while we're at it, why not threaten to destroy his AI girlfriend who could hold any number of answers to my questions about this planet."

He was an asshole for the sake of being an asshole which isn't interesting at all imo. If he had some kind of legitamate reasoning then that might've been cool, but he was completely 2 dimensional and had no redeeming qualities. That he was the Captain of humanities strongest ship only served to emphasize how ridiculous he was. He's just a waste of what could've been a far more interesting opposing character.

I was thinking, what if they took a third option with regards to old halo versus new halo and offered two campaigns?
I'd enjoy that

How would you guys feel if 343 added a feature in forge mode to place invisible points on the maps where a player (s) can super bounce like if you were to glitch/super bounce in Halo 2?
I would love it

Could open up fun custom game ideas

Top Bottom