• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Impala26

The guy's an idiot and there's nothing interesting to it imo. Felt like his only purpose was to emphasize Lasky's good heart and probably to make you hate Palmer a little less, instead of creating a complex relationship between MC and the UNSC. Del Rio felt like an unnecessary throwaway character.

The issue with Del Rio is that he's just a foil, and a somewhat nonsensical one.

His character was incredibly poorly written and acted to the point of being utterly ridiculous.

They might as well have called him Captain Antagonist, because he was absolutely nothing more than a two dimensional plot device.

AAA++ assessment. I guess they even wanted the TTUVAPORs of the world to "get" that they weren't supposed to like the character.

Personally I don't love to hate him. He's just a meaningless character to me who is a waste of space. He frustrates me more than anything because his actions bad attitude don't make any sense.

He was an asshole for the sake of being an asshole which isn't interesting at all imo. If he had some kind of legitamate reasoning then that might've been cool, but he was completely 2 dimensional and had no redeeming qualities.

Too bad my ass got SERRRRRVED... :-/

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. Make it happen, someone.
That should be what they do for the next ODST if they ever do one. Have it as a tactical fps that develops more on what ODST did with replacing shields with stamina, to show how vulnerable you actually are etc.

BokehKing

Banned
Damn, still haven't been able to have a single raid with 6 people? It's been weeks man lol. Just shows that they should definitely implement some form of matchmaking eventually for Destiny 2. For some people it's easy to get a raid party going, for others it's tough to organize a time, get enough people available etc.
You could always just grab anyone from destiny gaf
You don't want matchmaking, they implemented it in weekly strikes and it's filled with people refusing to use mics and afk people

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah I get that, IM not sure if the UNSC used him as a "PR" kind of thing for the end of the Covenants/Flood war. IDK, But i definitely get where you're coming from, Thought it could be that everyone involved were just think "this is way above my paygrade" Kind of thing. And the banter with Palmer just seems to be the way with Spartan IV's Who are much more socialized.

Palmer is tough cuz really she's not really been focused on we don't now much about here the EU is expanding on that so you get more characterization. I do hate the repetitive Egg heads thing, that's just annoying. She is definitely passionate that for sure
Fair enough.

I'd like to read the comics but I'm not sure it's worth it. I really don't like the art style much either lol

I do Like seeing Chief Stand up for himself, So to speak. He knows hes right and knows he has to do the right thing even if it means disobeying and order.

ANd i do like the confrontation.
I loved having Chief stand his ground. I just wish the issue wasn't so obviously black and white. Had Del Rio been someone I (and perhaps the Chief) at least felt respect for that would've been a far more interesting confrontation as opposed to just defying on obvious asshat.

master_chief_loves_his_doritos-39966.gif

Too bad my ass got SERRRRRVED... :-/
<3

We'll go out for pie and rum sometime

I loved having Chief stand his ground. I just wish the issue wasn't so obviously black and white. Had Del Rio been someone I (and perhaps the Chief) at least felt respect for that would've been a far more interesting confrontation as opposed to just defying on obvious asshat.

That part was weird because S-II were obedient to high command figures I think and without counting Cortana was influencing him at the point of lie his superiors about Cortana condition risking everyone lives.

Cortana was even connected to the Infinity systems so Del Rio had a valid point of request her and no one support him, do something Palmer for the love of god !

lol Feels like Del Rio should've just slapped Chief and walked away with a pouty face.

That would have been hilarious, and fitting. They went down the childish route of anger, frustration, etc. instead of what a serious adult in that position of power, in that situation would have reacted if an unstoppable Spartan was defying their orders. So yeah, only thing missing was a little foot stomp and making fists in frustration, similar to an angry 5 year old stiffening up, giving the death stare.

-Ryn

Banned
That part was weird because S-II were obedient to high command figures I think and without counting Cortana was influencing him at the point of lie his superiors about Cortana condition risking everyone lives.

Cortana was even connected to the Infinity systems so Del Rio had a valid point of request her and no one support him, do something Palmer for the love of god !
While S-II's are obedient, they also watch out for each other. So they're not like robots. Chief is especially protective of his comrades if recall correctly. Lest we forget Chief was on a mission to save Cortana.

I would've loved to see a highly choreographed fight between Palmer and Chief. He would've wiped the floor with her lol

Fuchsdh

The issue with Del Rio is that he's just a foil, and a somewhat nonsensical one. He's delivering focused bitching right off the bat. 343i even has other characters makeup random stuff to whine about around Del Rio (i.e. Chief/Cortana complaining about the recon situation, which would be realistically fair but comes out of nowhere in terms of Haloverse mechanics).

The individual scenes around it are sort of well-executed in isolation, but the whole thing just doesn't feel natural. Might as well have had Del Rio break the fourth wall in his first on-screen appearance to tell the player that he's a foil for the other characters.

Which is probably why my favorite scene with him is where he's just looking out the window right before briefing Chief and co. at the beginning of Reclaimer. It's clear the guy is sadly out of his element. Halo 4 is really the first Halo game where the characters could actually emote through something more subtle than broad body language and dialogue.

Which is probably why my favorite scene with him is where he's just looking out the window right before briefing Chief and co. at the beginning of Reclaimer. It's clear the guy is sadly out of his element. Halo 4 is really the first Halo game where the characters could actually emote through something more subtle than broad body language and dialogue.

We've talked about this before... for me while part is nice, it unfortunately gets completely drowned out by the rest of his characterization (illustrated by the majority of opinions here).

Damn, I actually spend the day working, and you guys finally have an interesting discussion. So unfair.

Flood: I like 'em, moreso with Gravemind than without. Like Sub-Zero said, they force a focus on the role of movement in combat in a way the Covenant don't, and from a lore perspective they're fascinating, especially once you figure in the Greg Bear books. Even without them, there's something oddly... compelling about the Gravemind and its contrast with the regular flood; it's well-spoken to the point of talking in literal poetry, while its minions take the appearance of an unthinking menace.

Mostly, I just love the way it talks.

Del Rio: this guy was an asshole, and I think he wasn't very well handled. They should have had a human moment with him at the beginning, set him up as a contrast to Palmer, but then have him start fraying under the stress. He was never supposed to be in charge of the Infinity on a mission this monumental, and that should have shone. It would have made a lot of his scenes way more impactful.

In the future, pls only talk about sprint during the workday. Very inconsiderate.

I would've loved to see a highly choreographed fight between Palmer and Chief. He would've wiped the floor with her lol
I still think there's potential with Palmer. The fanbase will love her.
Can't wait to see what's in store for Halo 5. Halo 4 had some serious potential with delivering an emotionally driven story that fell short in a few key moments, but with everything they've learned and with the talent they've gathered, Halo 5 could deliver in huge ways.

So excited. Hopefully they don't reveal too much because I'm not looking forward to all the spoiler bars and discussion around here. I've referred to this before, but Bungie revealing that Sabre mission in Reach would have blown my mind if I first experienced it upon release. In my opinion, 343 should hold these moments close and be more creative with their marketing without revealing too much.

Cloverfield for example, monster movie that didn't show the monster before it came out and was wrapped in mysterious pre-release teasers. Halo 5's marketing doesn't need to reveal everything to the fans. Have confidence that the game will sell well without feeling the need to let your fanbase know everything about the story/campaign before it's even released. Highlight other reasons why we should own Halo 5, why the people who only play campaign/co-op/Firefight should own it.

How many people bought Reach solely for that Sabre mission, or even used that as their breaking point of "Well damn, now I have to buy this game" anyway?
I just hate spoilers, especially when they're unnecessary to market a long-running franchise on a console with a low quantity of powerful exclusives.

-Ryn

Banned
Fashionably late
lol well said dude

Ya can't control the winds of discussion brah

I still think there's potential with Palmer. The fanbase will love her.
Honestly I'd love to see her redeemed as a character.
I think the best way to do that though would be to break her somehow. Or perhaps just humble her. Then build her back up as a truly badass character.

On the other hand, another way they could do it is by presenting her attitude and character as a flaw instead of just making her out to be some awesome badass (which it currently fails at). Eventually it could lead to her being her own undoing due to her inability to admit her fault(s) and correct them. Sort of a fallen hero of sorts. Or just a fallen soldier.

An asshole can still be a good character. Ya just gotta make them interesting as opposed to insufferably smug with the story having zero self awareness.

Marketing A Reveal Sucks
I was really disappointed they didn't keep the Prometheans hidden. Nothing is a surprise anymore because it gets marketed out the butthole.

I'd love for a reveal as well done as the Flood in CE to happen again.

The Saber Mission from Reach was definitely something that should've been teases instead of outright shown. Especially considering it was such a small portion of the game (which was such a missed opportunity).

lol Feels like Del Rio should've just slapped Chief and walked away with a pouty face.

That would have been hilarious, and fitting. They went down the childish route of anger, frustration, etc. instead of what a serious adult in that position of power, in that situation would have reacted if an unstoppable Spartan was defying their orders. So yeah, only thing missing was a little foot stomp and making fists in frustration, similar to an angry 5 year old stiffening up, giving the death stare.

I was expecting this but nah, the writers were on Chief side with Lasky and Palmer while Del Rio was alone.

Maybe in Halo 5

How would you guys feel if agent Locke beat up the Chief on some sequence? Like really beat him up.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Nope.

I'd call shenanigans
assuming Chief wasn't handicapped in some way
It would probably end up feeling cheap and unnecessary though. Beat up the Chief? Nah. Reason with him though? Totally possible and would show Locke's strength as a character because he's a rational individual.

Maybe even have him step to Master Chief as in "You ain't going anywhere unless you come with me!"

-battle ensues-
-MC stiff-arm-

"Chief pliss, humanity needs you. There will be nothing left if you continue doing it your way. Let me help you.." Shit, I don't know, I don't get paid for this but I know it's better than rando S-IV taking down big-time Master Chief and physically forcing him to come along.

Mind games baby. Make that Locke's greatest strength.

Fair enough.

I'd like to read the comics but I'm not sure it's worth it. I really don't like the art style much either lol

master_chief_loves_his_doritos-39966.gif

<3

We'll go out for pie and rum sometime
I'm a huge lore buff and I really enjoy them myself. I've ready all the comics. And the storyline is a bit quick feeling. But they are still entertaining and add a bit to the lore IMHO. I definitely feel they are worth it.

I also agree making Rio less assholish would have been better.

Lol love the gif.

Damn, I actually spend the day working, and you guys finally have an interesting discussion. So unfair.

Flood: I like 'em, moreso with Gravemind than without. Like Sub-Zero said, they force a focus on the role of movement in combat in a way the Covenant don't, and from a lore perspective they're fascinating, especially once you figure in the Greg Bear books. Even without them, there's something oddly... compelling about the Gravemind and its contrast with the regular flood; it's well-spoken to the point of talking in literal poetry, while its minions take the appearance of an unthinking menace.

Mostly, I just love the way it talks.

Del Rio: this guy was an asshole, and I think he wasn't very well handled. They should have had a human moment with him at the beginning, set him up as a contrast to Palmer, but then have him start fraying under the stress. He was never supposed to be in charge of the Infinity on a mission this monumental, and that should have shone. It would have made a lot of his scenes way more impactful.

In the future, pls only talk about sprint during the workday. Very inconsiderate.

This would have totally balanced his character, I believe they touch on this in the EU.

-Ryn

Banned
Chief pliss
I could get down with them jams

Like you said there's just no way that he could win a 1v1 fight against Chief unless he pulled something cheap out of his carefully constructed butt. It'd be nice if he turns out to be more rational and thoughtful instead of yet another Palmer just forcing things no matter how many Cheeto fingered button presses it takes.

C'mon 343 let's actually get a good character with questionable but well thought reasons going!

And for fucks sake bring back Elites in multiplayer
and the original Grunts

Elites are coming back in multiplayer, but in that fully realized PvP Firefight/Invasion mode ;]

Don't worry, the ability to play with bots would still be there, but if you want to have players control some of the Covenant then you can, just like in the criminally underutilized Firefight Versus mode in Reach.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm a huge lore buff and I really enjoy them myself. I've ready all the comics. And the storyline is a bit quick feeling. But they are still entertaining and add a bit to the lore IMHO. I definitely feel they are worth it.

I also agree making Rio less assholish would have been better.

Lol love the gif.
I'll have to check them out. Look forward to disfigured characters.

But they're still hyped for H5.

Good job characters.

Elites are coming back in multiplayer, but in that fully realized PvP Firefight/Invasion mode ;]

Don't worry, the ability to play with bots would still be there, but if you want to have players control some of the Covenant then you can, just like in the criminally underutilized Firefight Versus mode in Reach.
Invasion is the greatest mode to come out of Halo ever.
If they did this it would be instant GOAT Game of the forever
until Halo 6
and the FF7 remake
and Kingdom Hearts 3
and FFXV
and Halo CE 2

Anybody else love Generator Defense in the Reach beta? Shocked it didn't survive to full release (the ff variant doesn't count).

Good job characters.

until Halo 6
and the FF7 remake
and Kingdom Hearts 3
and FFXV
and Halo CE 2

Anybody else love Generator Defense in the Reach beta? Shocked it didn't survive to full release (the ff variant doesn't count).
YEah Marvel was better as the actual illustrations, but the story is pretty good. I do have to say the Spartans and there armor are very well illustrated up until is a wide shot then thing get "hazy" lol

Also I think invasion was awesome and fun to play, I really hope its included in the "MP Suite"
My Hopes are:
-Fire Fight
-Invasion
-Spartan Ops
-BTB
-Arena
-Social

Come play Halo with me dude bros
GT Deltaunithink im up for anything

-Ryn

Banned
YEah Marvel was better as the actual illustrations, but the story is pretty good. I do have to say the Spartans and there armor are very well illustrated up until is a wide shot then thing get "hazy" lol

Also I think invasion was awesome and fun to play, I really hope its included in the "MP Suite"
My Hopes are:
I love that they were so awful because of the stuff people came up with but it'll definitely be a bit weird to read seriously. That's just the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Good to see you like Invasion. I'd have to question if you knew what FUN is.

-Fire Fight
-Invasion
-Spartan Ops
-BTB
-Arena
-Social
I would actually be fine if this were the actual playlist setup

Needs super BTB boogaloo though
unless that falls under Invasion in which case carry on

I'd love to see weekend playlists return like in Halo 3. Good times that made it feel special.

I love it when 3/4 of your team quits in BTB.

Super fun
The challenge is real

Good job characters.

until Halo 6
and the FF7 remake
and Kingdom Hearts 3
and FFXV
and Halo CE 2

Invasion was pretty legit, and so was Generator Defense. Definitely could use more of that.

I love that they were so awful because of the stuff people came up with but it'll definitely be a bit weird to read seriously. That's just the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Good to see you like Invasion. I'd have to question if you knew what FUN is.

I would actually be fine if this were the actual playlist setup

Needs super BTB boogaloo though
unless that falls under Invasion in which case carry on

I'd love to see weekend playlists return like in Halo 3. Good times that made it feel special.

The challenge is real
Yeah But im sure it wont be to hard lol

Yea Invasion was fantastic
Id like to see something on the scale of BF style invasion, with Odst drop pod style spawning and Even Ordinance would work in a mod like this, With things like a Shortsword bombers, and pelicans and all sorts of vehicles, fighting covenant troops

Hell a 64 player BTB would be Bad ass, Not likely but bad ass all the same.

Maybe even battle between a UNSC Frigate and a Covenant Frigate with Zero graz sections and Destructible Environments

A Guy can dream lol

Id like to see something on the scale of BF style invasion, with Odst drop pod style spawning and Even Ordinance would work in a mod like this, With things like a Shortsword bombers, and pelicans and all sorts of vehicles, fighting covenant troops

Maybe even battle between a UNSC Frigate and a Covenant Frigate with Zero graz sections and Destructible Environments

A Guy can dream lol

Throw me a 16-64 players dedis book style coop mode of Spartans fighting Covies/Prometheans with drop in/out matchmaking or a closed smaller tighter RAID style friends mode only alongside it. Would play.

Throw me a 16-64 players dedis book style coop mode of Spartans fighting Covies/Prometheans with drop in/out matchmaking or a closed smaller tighter RAID style friends mode only alongside it. Would play.

Seriously. Who knows maybe with forge if done wright things like that could be possible to an extents.

I mean Im pretty excited to see what they do with the campaign, But i always thought Spartan Op has so much potential Is pretty much is a Raid style, Game if they just had a more coherent and fluid story, with a little bit more development.

One of the issues i had with Spartan op is in never really meshed, and what i mean by that is the Cut-scenes had next to nothing to do with the Gameplay, I think it should have been connected better and flowed better. And i know 343 could do it and i had hope that people enjoyed it enough to get more content, but sadly it didn't.

No saying i didn't enjoy Spartan op i loved the story and i really enjoy the cut-scenes and many of the missions but it could have been much better.

-Ryn

Banned
there should be an armor piece for the Leg category called Nothing Is Beyond Reach that just gives your Spartan a bubble butt. Works on males and females, of course.
I support this

#HireWahrer-Zero

Invasion was pretty legit, and so was Generator Defense. Definitely could use more of that.
It's sad it didn't make it to the full game.
It could've easily been a variant of Invasion.

A Guy can dream lol
Halo: Galactic War
LLLADIES

My naming skills aren't even iron tier

Fathead

Del Rio is a missed opportunity. I see the intent with him that he is a competent captain, as long as he has the upper hand. He has been running the biggest baddest ship in the galaxy and has been able to just impose his will.

Now he's stuck on Requiem with everything messed up. He has no clue what to do when he is the on the defensive. He just isnt equipped to deal with a situation where he cant just bludgeon everyone to death if need be.

So he lashes out at anyone that could reasonably question his decisions and authority. Chief is someone that can (and does) do that.

Unfortunately they didnt do the storytelling job to show this. So Del Rio comes across as a dumb asshole.

Del Rio is a missed opportunity. I see the intent with him that he is a competent captain, as long as he has the upper hand. He has been running the biggest baddest ship in the galaxy and has been able to just impose his will.

Now he's stuck on Requiem with everything messed up. He has no clue what to do when he is the on the defensive. He just isnt equipped to deal with a situation where he cant just bludgeon everyone to death if need be.

So he lashes out at anyone that could reasonably question his decisions and authority. Chief is someone that can (and does) do that.

Unfortunately they didnt do the storytelling job to show this. So Del Rio comes across as a dumb asshole.

He was always a crap character/foil. The Kilo-Five books didn't write him very positively either. He was created just to be hated.

Seriously. Who knows maybe with forge if done wright things like that could be possible to an extents.

I mean Im pretty excited to see what they do with the campaign, But i always thought Spartan Op has so much potential Is pretty much is a Raid style, Game if they just had a more coherent and fluid story, with a little bit more development.

One of the issues i had with Spartan op is in never really meshed, and what i mean by that is the Cut-scenes had next to nothing to do with the Gameplay, I think it should have been connected better and flowed better. And i know 343 could do it and i had hope that people enjoyed it enough to get more content, but sadly it didn't.

No saying i didn't enjoy Spartan op i loved the story and i really enjoy the cut-scenes and many of the missions but it could have been much better.

I'd like to see the campaign (still with Blur CGI), SPOPS/something new and multi again AKA Halo 4 split. One provision though, the cut scenes for the new SPOPS replacement are in game engine with your character/friends characters on a full blown cloud dynamic story mode. Go cloud/dedis crazy in this mode Microsoft/Azure/343i. I want to see how/what all these marketing launch dot points, global datacentres and technical wizardy can translate to in the design/development pipeline and online in coop multiplayer.

I've been sort of mulling this over pre/post the X1 launch and here's a real chance to push that envelope. Lead by example and look at what Destiny tried matchmaking/friends presentation layer wise. Create a new standard of online engine and story telling interaction and watch developers and players flock to it. Eve online develops its own story based on the players/factions, why can't Halo with an Azure global backend do something similar in a separate mode away from the Chief's saga?

Imagine you join a clan or make one with friends and copy over the multiplayer map showing lights for player locations but extrapolate that out to the in game universe/factions/results from coop or clan clashes in real time etc. Some things could be player/clan obtainable and other elements simply story driven/controlled.

Just don't let it suck, please :)

Halo: Galactic War
LLLADIES

My naming skills aren't even iron tier

I admit it the iron tier part made me grin, big time.

He was always a crap character/foil. The Kilo-Five books didn't write him very positively either. He was created just to be hated.

I liked Del Rio purely because I got to see Chief tell a superior to get fucked. Loved it.

Top Bottom