• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

I care about HCS to the point of watching and enjoying the matches. Definitely don't care about the drama, but this shit is pretty funny.

Bulldozer pic made me lol though

I'd have no idea about the general, BTS goings of Halo eSports if not for Gaf. I like watching them play, but at the end of the day, it's a bunch of entitled kids.

This is the most butt-hurt, ass-pained, orifice-obliterated, rectum-ruined, shitter-shattered post I've ever read anywhere

#getaloadofthiskid

VinFTW

Stuff like that is why this will never be mainstream.

FGC is pretty bad too, seems to work for them.

I admittedly don't follow those either, do they act like children too?

Either way, Halo will never be as big as those games for a multitude of other reasons.

Just saying, being a huge Halo fan myself, it's just embarassing, so I don't know how you expand to audiences that don't already love Halo.

Unfortunately this is the kind of stuff that brings drama and all the kids running to watch/follow it. Not saying it's right or w/e, but people love drama.

Ramirez

That's why CSGO and LOL and DOTA are niche...

Either way, Halo will never be as big as those games for a multitude of other reasons.

Just saying, being a huge Halo fan myself, it's just embarassing, so I don't know how you expand to audiences that don't already love Halo.

jem0208

So it looks like NASA is no longer going to be a team :l

Ninja said:
Just letting everyone know that NASA was a potential team running games but they are more then likely deciding to go with Str8sick and Ptizype!

Understandable team decision for sure and I wish them the best of luck they are nice and amazing guys.

Impala26

It is quite the specimen

Okay so that is pretty fucking funny...

How do you get that seriously salty about something silly and stupid like this?

"FUCK THIS COMMUNITY MANG"

Gonna repost for new page glory...

909fb081bc5226e0fd197087ec48bc6b.png

Welfare

Dota and LOL are way worse. What was posted before is like newbie's first insult in the other communities.

I care about HCS to the point of watching and enjoying the matches. Definitely don't care about the drama, but this shit is pretty funny.

Did you watch any of the season 1 finals?

I had absolutely no interest in competitive Halo until I watched a few of those matches.

It's more of a personal comment, not a generalization on the success of HCS. I would rather spend time playing games than watching them 99% of the time at this point in my life. I have zero investment in the success of any of these players.

The manbaby shit is hilarious however, sorry I missed it.

CyReN

Dota and LOL are way worse. What was posted before is like newbie's first insult in the other communities.

Yep, people in the Halo bubble proclaim it to be cancerous and terrible but have no real knowledge of any others. Like why even comment on it?

Not calling you out btw Ramirez, just seems to be a common occurrence within gaming/console communities.

Ramirez

Doesn't really make it ok.

I'm commenting because as someone on the outside looking in, it makes me not care at all.

I watch the NFL to watch the best athletes in the world, not see them sling shit at each other in a chat room.

I mean, getting heated in a tough match and talking trash I get, but lashing out at fans over silliness, just kinda dumb to me.

343 needs the Forge and co-op communities back because they generally consist of good people. They balance the negativity from the competitive players lol

If they made a CGB and brought back Firefight with scripting to create Spartan Ops missions, I bet you'd see an increase of positivity and LUV in this community because the nice people will stick around. Right now the Halo community is like the world of Mad Max.

daedalius

Soooo much worse. Never play dota or LoL, seriously.

It's more of a personal comment, not a generalization on the success of HCS. I would rather spend time playing games than watching them 99% of the time at this point in my life. I have zero investment in the success of any of these players.

Me too, but I actually work pretty well with halo tourney in the background. Its less distracting than a show at least.

jem0208

I thought exactly the same thing. It was surprisingly entertaining to watch though, and I also had no investment in any of the players or teams. That 4* tie game was insane.

Regardless of the eSport game in question, more than a few of the players are children, in every sense of the word. And I get its kinda become part of the culture, but it's a part I'm not okay with.

At least we aren't as bad as the FGC...

Pistola is an insolent, immature, and irresponsible child, and his behavior shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Pistola is an insolent, immature, and irresponsible child, and his behavior shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I was surprised. Kid always seemed fairly magnanimous in defeat (took losing $200k to Ace really well) and I remember him thanking his parents in a post victory MLG interview in the H3 days. That's over four years ago now mind.

Anyway, not bothered if he's a brat, most of them are babies. Pistola's one of the greatest Halo players of all time imo.

Doesn't really make it ok.

I'm commenting because as someone on the outside looking in, it makes me not care at all.

I watch the NFL to watch the best athletes in the world, not see them sling shit at each other in a chat room.

I mean, getting heated in a tough match and talking trash I get, but lashing out at fans over silliness, just kinda dumb to me.

Yeah, seconded. Just because other competitive communities do dumber shit doesn't make any of it okay. I'm basically seeing:

"Oh it's okay, Halo stuff is nothing compared to doto."
"Oh it's okay, doto stuff is awful compared to Halo."

Fuchsdh

For all the shit XBL gets (and deservedly so) about a hostile play environment, games like Dota are toxic to their very core. It's even more bizarre with Dota 2 because you will be playing a game with people at the exact same ranking as you—so getting prima donnas who rage because you aren't going the "right" item build is more perplexing. But MOBAs are definitely the worst communities. Most immature might go to the shooters, but I can't imagine being a newbie and getting into these games now. If I hadn't invested time learning Dota back in the Warcraft III mod days, before it became as huge as it is now, I would have given up.

As for the player drama, I think it exists in every sport or competitive environment. Good news is you can tune it out—if it weren't for the Beyond crossposting about this I wouldn't know about it at all, and this thread rarely skews to competitive stuff that long even for big events. Just care about watching interesting games, and if you like Halo you should be set.

Mistel

Banned
343 should stop molesting Halos gameplay and make ODST and real spin off for the cod kiddies. The opportunity is perfect. It's right there in front of them, hell, it even makes perfectly logical sense...
Hopefully they do that but that seems far too unlikely unless they do a whole reboot after the trilogy they're doing now. It seems more likely they take halo in their direction than go back to the roots if 5's gameplay is anything to go by.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So are most ESports players like this or what?

Give young, predominately immature people lots of money and fame. It's bound to happen.

The crowds feed off it, so it's no wonder that the attitudes persist. Just look through this thread, or the DOTA thread, CS:GO thread, LoL thread, or Twitch.

Feed da monsta

hm... so 343i just need to retcon the forky art design to support that narrative. Sounds risky.

"We didn't want Forkie to seem like a rear-loader, because it's not a rear loader. One of our big objectives is conveying this hyper-middling torque and lift and tonnage and friction, where Forkie may switch into reverse, and you'll actually start seeing the steering axis grinding and the taillights flickering. As the main character, we can also afford to dedicate more polys and detail to the primary Forkie model, so we've added all these small details, like knobs and shafts on the dash. If you look here on the plating above the passenger's side rear wheel, there's some braille, and it actually says 'Go Fork Yourself.' After Halo's had these grand characters with ties to prized havens that were ultimately lost to the Covenant, we thought we should introduce a character that was actually there when Reach fell and lived to tell the tale. Forkie's had all these exhilarating engagements, from ramming a Zealot to cheese the ending Winter Contingency counter on SLASO, to driving around and bumping into Grunts as Noble Six manned the Mass Driver. There's a lot of history behind the character, and we want players to know that."

343i just keep making Halo games and the fanbase will built and grow itself, no brainer here. Then it would lead to bigger things, you just cant push it to be big (unless you are activision).

Who will name himself/herserlf "Gun" on first place.

Give young, predominately immature people lots of money and fame. It's bound to happen.

The crowds feed off it, so it's no wonder that the attitudes persist. Just look through this thread, or the DOTA thread, CS:GO thread, LoL thread, or Twitch.

Feed da monsta

It's kind of sad honestly. You're young, make a lot of money, don't really save it, and eventually you're no longer in vogue and "retire".

More or less what pro athletes go through (that "General Studies" degree practically prints money...)

HTupolev

"We didn't want Forkie to seem like a rear-loader, because it's not a rear loader. One of our big objectives is conveying this hyper-middling torque and lift and tonnage and friction, where Forkie may switch into reverse, and you'll actually start seeing the steering axis grinding and the taillights flickering. As the main character, we can also afford to dedicate more polys and detail to the primary Forkie model, so we've added all these small details, like knobs and shafts on the dash. If you look here on the plating above the passenger's side rear wheel, there's some braille, and it actually says 'Go Fork Yourself.' After Halo's had these grand characters with ties to prized havens that were ultimately lost to the Covenant, we thought we should introduce a character that was actually there when Reach fell and lived to tell the tale. Forkie's had all these exhilarating engagements, from ramming a Zealot to cheese the ending Winter Contingency counter on SLASO, to driving around and bumping into Grunts as Noble Six manned the Mass Driver. There's a lot of history behind the character, and we want players to know that."
Uplifting_full.jpg

SaganIsGOAT

Incredible.

Tawpgun

Is pistola the same guy who punched his wall in rage and then asked for donations to pay the medical bill because he didn't have insurance?

-Ryn

Banned

Feed da monsta
I suppose everyone's got their own brand of drama

Some are better equipped to handle it than others.

lmao at that bulldozer pic

11/10

Day Zero

Ramirez

and to find out about players who are into dog fights and knocking out their wives in elevators.

Vick was punished harshly, the country in general deals with domestic violence very poorly, but I doubt Rice ever plays again.

You're cherry picking the worst out of a league with close to a thousand players though. How many pro e-sports players have charities and do stuff for their community?

But the equivalent would be teams doing a 7 on 7, someone getting smoked and turning around and cussing the fans in attendance.

No league is perfect, just sayin if you're already facing an uphill battle, this isn't doing you any favors.

Vick was punished harshly, the country in general deals with domestic violence very poorly, but I doubt Rice ever plays again.

You're cherry picking the worst out of a league with close to a thousand players though. How many pro e-sports players have charities and do stuff for their community?

But the equivalent would be teams doing a 7 on 7, someone getting smoked and turning around and cussing the fans in attendance.

No league is perfect, just sayin if you're already facing an uphill battle, this isn't doing you any favors.

NFL is full of crooks I hear. That's all I hear about on sports talk radio.

Top Bottom