• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Impala26

What if I brought the Throwdown back?

YmhgkoX.gif

Tawpgun

Make a throw down of throwback customs. Halo 2
Foundation zombies
Tower of power
Troy
Cat n mouse
Hide and seek

Halo 3
Jenga
Trash compactor
Organ trail
Fat kid
Demo derby

If file shares are borked halo 3 might be hard but halo 2 is simple.

CliQ

Ok I'll think about how this new Throwdown should go. Maybe we need more fun game types. I'll probably do a Throwdown and a whole other night for just BG CTF because I can't live without it.

Is there any place to find those Halo 2&3 Custom Games?
Foundation zombies
Tower of power
Troy
Cat n mouse
Hide and seek

Halo 3
Jenga
Trash compactor
Organ trail
Fat kid
Demo derby

This is what I had in mind. If I'm going to be playing Halo 2 or 3, I want to play FUN shit, not zzznoozefest competitive gametypes.

This is where Halo shines imo, in its creative Custom Games. A CGB is needed.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What if I brought the Throwdown back?

Maybe it would actually work this time without kicking half the party all over the place.

Ok I'll think about how this new Throwdown should go. Maybe we need more fun game types. I'll probably do a Throwdown and a whole other night for just BG CTF because I can't live without it.

Anything but HCE CTF on Bloodgulch.

Hey Halogaf.

I have the classic Cat n Mouse gametype set up for OG Halo 2, as well as a custom map and gametype taking advantage of the H2A forge and civilian warthog. The game and map variants appear in my file share, both named as "Tom & Jerry =H2A=".

Also, the first version of my (hopefully) MLG compliant map is complete! I named it "Tremblor Court" after all, for various reasons, it fits. "Tremblor Court" is also available in my file share.

EDIT: Wow, we can upload Halo 2 classic gametypes to our file share! I just added the Tom & Jerry classic honor gametype to my list. Pilfer at will.

EDIT EDIT: Am I going to get banned for this?

-Ryn

Banned
I really hope we see English speaking Covenant again.

Especially the Grunts. They added a nice comic relief to the game. Trying to make them scary or dark or whatever is not only misguided but also a lost cause. There is nothing intimidating about them no matter how much lizard skin you put on them. Why do alien races all have to be ominous and dark?

People not using Spotify Premium in 2015 are doing music wrong.
What about those of us who don't use Spotify at all :p

Grooveshark >

It can be a disorganized mess sometimes, but it's free without ads, has a vastly superior queue system, and has random obscure stuff that I can never find on Spotify.
This guy knows

JDHarbs

Would be nice to see the old custom games added to an action sack playlist at some point. Wouldn't be able to do the honor rule ones though.

I'd love to play another Throwdown of yours. Just please God no more CE big team.

Ghazi

Lead up to the actual game release will involve a Frankie lead ARG on Twitter with each related tweet tagged with "#huntthesleeps"

Madness

Hmm, that's a more immediate hype builder but it doesn't have the substance that this podcast could have; that little intro thing was really interesting and going back to listen to it, I noticed a bunch of little exciting tidbits. What are these deep space anomalies?

Anyway, we'll get that trailer at E3 so I'm not too worried.

My point wasn't that this trailer is what I wanted. Just that you seemed glad we didn't get a trailer, it's not as cool as this podcast etc. Of course we'll get the E3 trailer, plus a live action commercial. Just saying that a trailer will get me more hyped than this ARG or audio clip stuff would.

-Ryn

Banned
Lead up to the actual game release will involve a Frankie lead ARG on Twitter with each related tweet tagged with "#huntthesleeps"
The answers you seek lie in your dreams

Cue pages of in depth discussions on lucid dreams and questions regarding childhood

Is there anything better than successfully breaking a 10 minute stolen Flag stalemate on CE BTB? I'm not sure there is
Only thing better is succeeding in a last ditch capture with a minute to go this winning a neck and neck game

HTupolev

Pardon me, i should game specified, when i say glossy lighting, i meant bloom, if you look at Halo 3/4 on the one compared to the 360 The bloom has been turned way up
Hmm.

I have my 360 and XB1 going to the same screen right now, and I'm comparing the 360 and XB1 versions of Halo 3 and Halo 4 in the same scenes where it's very easy to make out the bloom strength and radius, and I'm not seeing that it's been increased. Halo 3's looks basically the same, and although Halo 4's looks a little different, I wouldn't really say it looks "stronger" (the most obvious thing is that it's skinnier on the horizontal axis).
Actually I might have to take this back to some extent. It seems like the bloom is roughly the same in strong cases, but when the luminance is on the boundary, MCC's brightness curves might be pushing things up a bit prior to post, resulting in a bit of bloom where there'd otherwise be close to none. Or something.
(See green lights on assault rifle on dude to the right.)

Speaking of which, the histogram for this comparison...
r2sVQcd.png

If the HBO cutscene library's captures were "correct" for both versions, that's the difference between new and original for this particular moment (original on left).

tl;dr:

Halo 3 issues

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Foundation zombies
Tower of power
Troy
Cat n mouse
Hide and seek

Halo 3
Jenga
Trash compactor
Organ trail
Fat kid
Demo derby

Add Duck Hunt into that Halo 3 list.

AlStrong

Actually I might have to take this back to some extent. It seems like the bloom is roughly the same in strong cases, but when the luminance is on the boundary, MCC's brightness curves might be pushing things up a bit prior to post, resulting in a bit of bloom where there'd otherwise be close to none. Or something.

(See green lights on assault rifle on dude to the right.)

Speaking of which, the histogram for this comparison...
r2sVQcd.png

hmm.... IIRC, they did a PWL gamma with the 2nd exposure/lighting buffer, so maybe that wasn't emulated properly. On a side note, the 7.5 stops alone seemingly wasn't enough to hide all the banding on 360, and I think they relied on the bloom to hide some of that in the end.

Foundation zombies
Tower of power
Troy
Cat n mouse
Hide and seek

Halo 3
Jenga
Trash compactor
Organ trail
Fat kid
Demo derby

Troy is a must. I think it was my favorite custom game in Halo 2.

Would be cool if 343 could tell us something about the April Patch...

A bit more transparency is all i want. What happened to the weekly written Bulletins?

IHaveIce

Banned
I would prefer Frankie telling us things about the HCS Quickscope league #Kappa

I just want ranks and fixed gametypes in the playlists as for now :(

Imagine good gametyped and ranks Halo 3 playlist? Dang.

Also Not only patch ranks in.. how about rank matching. Sick of playing against 50s as a 12 in H2A lol.

I just want ranks and fixed gametypes in the playlists as for now :(

Imagine good gametyped and ranks Halo 3 playlist? Dang.

Also Not only patch ranks in.. how about rank matching. Sick of playing against 50s as a 12 in H2A lol.

The general Trueskill system needs to be back from Halo 3. In a improved Version of course. Its really getting annoying in MCC. Its impossible to carry two guests that play -20 together.

5 of 5 Matches and 3 matches if this are a dong fest. Easy win 50 to 15 or whatever. Thats not fun to me. And probably not fun for the people that you play against.

jem0208

Damn, some of the spawns on the H2A maps are awful. So much spawn trapping.

H2A in general is awful to me. It feels weird, hit detection is weird etc... List goes on and on for me.

I kind of agree, it definitely feels a bit weird to me as well. The only reason I'm playing it over H2C is because I've been watching the pros scrim recently.

I bloody hate the nades though, mini nukes they are...

I like H2A except for the spawns and these fucking grenades.

After playing H2A & Halo CE ( and Halo 5) I really think Halo 4's approach with no looting grenades from dead bodies was a good idea

That's actually one of the things I thought I would really dislike about 4 but actually kinda makes a bit better. Nade spam (imo) is a pretty big issue in Halo. Although having a perk to allow grenade looting was stupid.

Combine the ridiculous amount of grenades you get in H2A, with their ridiculous power and grenade hit markers and you have a recipe for misery.

IHaveIce

Banned

After playing H2A & Halo CE ( and Halo 5) I really think Halo 4's approach with no looting grenades from dead bodies was a good idea

I liked in the Halo 5 Beta that there was no Friendly Fire. Feels good not getting betrayed for a Power Weapon etc.

Halo 3 and CE are my favorites. No Hitscan feels so much better and satisfying.

IHaveIce

Banned
I liked in the Halo 5 Beta that there was no Friendly Fire. Feels good not getting betrayed for a Power Weapon etc.

Halo 3 and CE are my favorites. No Hitscan feels so much better and satisfying.

Yeah never thought I would think that way, but after playing a lot on 60 fps I think Hitscan is too easy. Or drop the aim assist. Halo 5 felt pretty good.

Top Bottom