• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Why?

I dont see a reason for it anymore. Maybe in Hardcore Playlists but in the normal ones? Im fine with no friendly.fire.

And what Ice said.

Nah, man. Need to keep the "regular" and "competitive" playlists as close as possible. Either everybody gets FF or nobody does.

Not sure which I'd prefer, honestly.

Nah, man. Need to keep the "regular" and "competitive" playlists as close as possible. Either everybody gets FF or nobody does.

Not sure which I'd prefer, honestly.

CoD does it that way^^

Normal Playlists dont have any FF and the HardCore/Competitive ones have FF. And i dont see any complaining about that.

Ramirez

Nah with the amount of nade spam happening I was really glad there was no friendly fire.

You realize a lot of that was probably due to no penalty to your friendlies, right? Same with rockets, being able to shoot them into a crowd and only hurting enemies is lame and has no place in an arena shooter.

CoD does it that way^^

Normal Playlists dont have any FF and the HardCore/Competitive ones have FF. And i dont see any complaining about that.

Yes, because what 343 really needs to be doing is looking to COD for more inspiration :p

And Ramierez raises a good point regarding how FF alters behavior.

Welfare

With friendly fire you have to actually be careful around teammates and you can't act reckless.

343 just need to change some things like...

If an ally gets the final shot in on you, it counts as a betrayal and not an enemy kill. Also the same if a friendly knocks you off the map. Not a suicide, but a betrayal.

Instead of spree's being ended when you get betrayed, either it doesn't get reset at all or you go back one kill. So if you have a killing spree (5) and you get betrayed, you just go to 4 and not 0.

3 betrayals total always equals an option to kick. Not 3 betrayals to one individual but to everyone.

Harsher penalties to being kicked for betraying/just betraying. Highlight the player in the match who has betrayed a total of 3 times in a match and have them highlighted for 24 hours if they betray more than 5 times within 24 hours. Decrease XP bonuses or don't reward them at all.

Haruko

You realize a lot of that was probably due to no penalty to your friendlies, right? Same with rockets, being able to shoot them into a crowd and only hurting enemies is lame and has no place in an arena shooter.

Agreed; give me Friendly Fire and a reasonable option to boot betrayal repeat offenders.

willow ve

Yes, because what 343 really needs to be doing is looking to COD for more inspiration :p

And Ramierez raises a good point regarding how FF alters behavior.

Yeah - tanks / vehicles with no FF is a mess. Same goes for rockets.

Game needs to have FF turned on and it needs to be across all playlists.

Yeah - tanks / vehicles with no FF is a mess. Same goes for rockets.

Game needs to have FF turned on and it needs to be across all playlists.

Why exactly is this going to be a mess?? Have you played a BTB match without FF? I havent, and i would like to try that out before hating.

Getting kicked from the game because a teammate ran into my Rocket or Grenade is not fun either.

IHaveIce

Banned
Things like friendly fire should never be playlist specific in Halo (except for maybe party gametypes). Also ff needs to come back.

I wonder what factors contributed to nade spam becoming such a problem...

I see what you try to imply but how do you explain then the other Halo games where FF is present to also have people nadespamming you and teamkilling you?
H2A is a recent example?

Nades should be less powerfull and less aviable. I'm fine with shots hurting your teammates, but nades really grind my gears

Tawpgun

Hypertrooper are you planning on making a slideshow of Halo 3? So many screemshots.

Or maybe bringing back the Ghaleon-esque picture stories?

Ramirez

That's my biggest concern with Ram. I don't mind him having the sniper, but I'd rather I have it because I know I can land headshots imo.

scrub bitch

Removing FF is a real catering to the casual move, surprised most of you don't cry foul over that like you do with ADS and the like. ADS is a visual change, no FF actually changes the dynamic of the game.

VinFTW

scrub bitch

Removing FF is a real catering to the casual move, surprised most of you don't cry foul over that like you do with ADS and the like. ADS is a visual change, no FF actually changes the dynamic of the game.

You actually expect the haters to make sense 'round here?

Madness

You actually expect the haters to make sense 'round here?

So now people who don't like ADS are haters who don't make sense? I hate that friendly fire was removed, especially in Halo 4. But then I also remember we're in the era of the shit player and griefers. I was never betrayed or griefed more in Reach or the early launch periods of Halo 4. I have no doubt that people would do the same in halo 5. This is just a change that is a sign of the times. Maybe they can have FF off for ranked matches when the game launches.

VinFTW

So now people who don't like ADS are haters who don't make sense? I hate that friendly fire was removed, especially in Halo 4. But then I also remember we're in the era of the shit player and griefers. I was never betrayed or griefed more in Reach or the early launch periods of Halo 4. I have no doubt that people would do the same in halo 5. This is just a change that is a sign of the times. Maybe they can have FF off for ranked matches when the game launches.

The joke went completely over your head... See below.

ADS is a sign of the times too!

@Madness, not saying you don't have a right to be upset, but consistency is nice. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Ramirez

Madness

The joke went completely over your head... See below.

@Madness, not saying you don't have a right to be upset, but consistency is nice. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

But friendly fire was turned off nearly 2+ years ago for most of us. Why would we still be talking about it nearly as much as ADS which is a newer change? Plus it was turned off directly due to how many people were actually starting to grief and betray people, destroy their vehicles, steal their weapons. Whereas ADS is solely to appease a vocal minority who need it in their FPS games and to cater to CoD fans. There was no need for it, it hasn't improved anything for the game play. The question becomes, does the need not to be griefed or betrayed outweigh the cost of removing the skillful play inherent with friendly fire on, where you have to be mindful of grenades or rockets? Remember, a lot of people also complained they were booted because of errant betrayals.

Except the two are not comparable. Friendly fire was turned off directly due to how the Halo community was becoming. Whereas ADS is added solely to try and get more CoD fans or that very small but vocal minority who need the gun sights visible in the middle of the screen. I honestly feel like you secretly always wanted ADS in Halo with how much you're defending it Ram. Same with sprint.

VinFTW

I actually like the smart scope on the new weapons, minus automatics. When the fix the DMR and sluggish sniper it'll be pretty tight. Can't say I agree with you Madness. It's a nice visual evolution when done properly (which it mostly was in the Beta).

As for FF? I don't know man. Don't play with shitters? Get a good team and you won't have to worry about it.

FF should always be in competitive settings for Halo. Wouldn't be an arena shooter w/o it.

RBK

Banned
Ah. I needed to completely reset my modem AND Xbox after I dropped. But I'd be happy to run another one sometime again soon if the (Halo) GAF peeps would be interested. :)

Yeah, I was waiting and my brother took it as I wasn't playing so I just let him watch the games.

Still willing to join in as always.

Madness

I actually like the smart scope on the new weapons, minus automatics. When the fix the DMR and sluggish sniper it'll be pretty tight. Can't say I agree with you Madness. It's a nice visual evolution when done properly (which it mostly was in the Beta).

As for FF? I don't know man. Don't play with shitters? Get a good team and you won't have to worry about it.

FF should always be in competitive settings for Halo. Wouldn't be an arena shooter w/o it.

It's not an evolution of anything, but a visual regression, because you've lost screen real estate in your field of view to have the gun model displayed in the middle. It's not superior either, regardless of whether it's 'well done'.

I agree friendly fire should be in Halo. I'd want it back as well. I was saying that complaining about ADS change versus not complaining about friendly fire doesn't really work seeing as how they turned it off(save for splatters in h4 almost two years ago) and ADS change just happened. Plus it was a result of what a lot of fans were complaining about at the time. Random boots due to betrayals, losing vehicles or weapons to griefers, especially with join in progress and no ranks, meaning no repercussions.

jem0208

I feel like friendly fire should be on for any ranked or competitive playlists.

However for something like social slayer (assuming they have a social playlist) I think removing it would be a benefit.

Yes, there's a split between the two playlists, however considering the amount of shitty griefers you get I'd say it's worth it. Also you can't just say "get a good team". I quite often like just sitting back and relaxing whilst playing Halo and not talking to anyone. I'd like to be able to enjoy that, friendly fire abusing griefers kinda ruin that. There's also the fact that none of my friends actually play Halo.

It's not an evolution of anything, but a visual regression, because you've lost screen real estate in your field of view to have the gun model displayed in the middle. It's not superior either, regardless of whether it's 'well done'.

I wouldn't call it a regression. Some of the weapons looked pretty cool. That Light Rifle was awesome.

Edit: Bloody team nades ruined my triple :( http://xboxclips.com/Il+MeanBean+lI/d38dec10-c518-4073-bb7c-375ec80295cf

Madness

Maybe Halo 5 will be different but I think because of how Halo 4 was, no ranks, join in progress, there was just ripe conditions for griefing. You get the tank but your teammate destroys it, you get the sniper but your teammate betrays you for it. As its join in progress and no ranks, booting does nothing for them, because they didn't lose anything and can go and join another match, or you can get a griefer join you mid match and screw you over.

I noticed it near the end for Reach as well. I couldn't play a single match where I wouldn't get some jackass try and betray me for a weapon ie. sniper. I think with the low Xbox One playerbase and the higher cost of entry, Halo 5 will avoid a lot of the trolls and casuals that proliferate later on in a console generation, so I'd actually like FF off as well. Maybe have it off for all ranked playlists.

VinFTW

You see regression I see something different. Agree to disagree, but I just didn't feel any difference in the new scope when I played. Never did I once think it was holding me back from getting a kill.

Ramirez

Except the two are not comparable. Friendly fire was turned off directly due to how the Halo community was becoming. Whereas ADS is added solely to try and get more CoD fans or that very small but vocal minority who need the gun sights visible in the middle of the screen. I honestly feel like you secretly always wanted ADS in Halo with how much you're defending it Ram. Same with sprint.

That's quite a reach there brother, considering CoD has always had FF turned off to my knowledge. People were being betrayed in Halo long before 4 came around.

jem0208

You see regression I see something different. Agree to disagree, but I just didn't feel any difference in the new scope when I played. Never did I once think it was holding me back from getting a kill.

Honestly, I think a lot of the hate for ADS comes purely from principle. CoD had it first and so 343 are just copying them. The actual effects of visual ADS are very minor. Sure disliking it is fine, but the hatred some people seem to have for it is borderline ridiculous.

I can understand disliking zoom on autos however as that has an actual effect on the gameplay, personally I quite like it but that's not the point.

DJ Gunner

But friendly fire was turned off nearly 2+ years ago for most of us. Why would we still be talking about it nearly as much as ADS which is a newer change?Plus it was turned off directly due to how many people were actually starting to grief and betray people, destroy their vehicles, steal their weapons.Whereas ADS is solely to appease a vocal minority who need it in their FPS games and to cater to CoD fans. There was no need for it, it hasn't improved anything for the game play. The question becomes, does the need not to be griefed or betrayed outweigh the cost of removing the skillful play inherent with friendly fire on, where you have to be mindful of grenades or rockets? Remember, a lot of people also complained they were booted because of errant betrayals.

Since the night H2 went live in 2004, there have been weapon betrayers and griefers. That is not, at all, something recent. FF was turned off for one reason only- the same reason ADS is in 5, the same reason we have hitmarkers, the same reason we have sprint, the same reason we had infinity drops in 4. Call. Of. Duty.

VinFTW

I hated ADS on autos. Janky as shit and doesn't make sense (not in a lore perspective, but in gameplay, doesn't feel right at all). Hoping they get rid of it.

Madness

That's quite a reach there brother, considering CoD has always had FF turned off to my knowledge. People were being betrayed in Halo long before 4 came around.

Shit you're right. It's been so long since I even touched Call of Duty, that I forgot there is no friendly fire on in that game either. Damn them if that's one of the reasons why it's off. I just figured they got fed up of people complaining about the griefers. But didn't you notice that it was much higher in Reach and Halo 4 than it ever was in Halo 2 or Halo 3? Even the first year of Reach compared to the end.

As for Halo 4, I still remember 4 consecutive matches in a row during launch night where I was getting griefed for weapons/vehicles. It persisted for a while too.

Booshka

It was turned off in CoD2 also, which is why a friend and I would throw grenades at teammates, switch teams in the menu, then it would end up as neutral kill because we were spawning for the other team. It wasn't red killing red, or red killing blue, it just showed up as grey killing grey, pretty hilarious.

Did that to every camper that refused to push up on the map or go for objective. Got all of my negative rep way back in late 05 early 06 from doing that shit. Some clever griefing though.

Halo needs Friendly Fire, all Arena shooters should have it imo.

I like Friendly Fire turned off. :3
Too many god damn accidental betrayals ending in booting. Stop running in front of my puma god dammit. And I dont ever want to be killed for the sniper or my vehicle again.

Since the night H2 went live in 2004, there have been weapon betrayers and griefers.

You mean since September 20th, 2003 when Halo 1 PC was released. Halo had online multiplayer more than a year before Halo 2 was released.

I hated ADS on autos. Janky as shit and doesn't make sense (not in a lore perspective, but in gameplay, doesn't feel right at all). Hoping they get rid of it.

I think it works. Enhances the SMG's role as an ambush weapon, and gives the AR some midrange viability. Now that they're taking out the headshot multiplier, I think it should balance out nicely.

jem0208

I really liked how it made autos somewhat capable in mid range without making them op at short.

JDHarbs

I like Friendly Fire turned off. :3
Too many god damn accidental betrayals ending in booting. Stop running in front of my puma god dammit. And I dont ever want to be killed for the sniper or my vehicle again.

You mean since September 20th, 2003 when Halo 1 PC was released. Halo had online multiplayer more than a year before Halo 2 was released.
XBConnect was even earlier.

Rightful Chaos

Neo Member
Hi guys, I'm new, just got activated the other day, anyway

I didn't even realize there was no friendly fire until I fired a rocket into a group of people. I had to double check by putting a few rounds into a team mate. lol

As for smart scope, I don't mind it as long as it doesn't change the weapon's effect very much. Since I use classic recon controls, the only difference I feel is that I can get a better view while trying to shoot someone with my automatics

DJ Gunner

I didn't play Halo PC online, that's why I didn't reference it (nor did I say H2 was the first online Halo MP)

I did play quite a bit of XBC well before that, though. Never experienced betrayals there.

In any case, I hadn't planned on picking HOD5 up anyways, if they leave FF turned off that just makes me feel better about it. lol

Akai__

Every competetive game needs stricter rules anyways.

Ban the shit out of people who are betraying or idle, so they will think twice before they do it again!

Hi guys, I'm new, just got activated the other day, anyway

Welcome aboard. This place can be pretty crazy, but you probably know that already.

Top Bottom