• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Tawpgun

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

wat

He's right? You do have to lead shots in CE but if the person is moving in a straight line cross mapping is fairly easy. Don't know what your limit is for length but I can kill a guy from one Hang Em High base to another or from big hill on BG to blue base.

Fav Gametypes;

CTF da goat. I'd put assault on this too because its roughly the same thing but in reverse.
Good ol slayer
Ricochet I REALLY liked. Hope HCS finds a use for it because I'd really like to see what ricochet is like on a high level of play
A good KOTH game on a good map. But most maps are fkn trash for it.

Those are my favorite baseline Halo. If it's in Halo 2 or 3, BTB CTF/Assault takes the crown. BTB in the following games was trash and I'm not the biggest fan of it in CE either. Neutral Bomb/Flag on Waterworks is in a league of its own. That's gotta be one of the all time great gametype/map combos. The beginning fight for the bridge and the people trying to flank was such a good dynamic.

Honorable Mentions (fun games I loved playing from time to time)
Halo 3 Grifball (the only grifball I every enjoyed. Gravity physics on point)
Halo 3 Rocket Race
Halo Reach Oddball Swordbase
Halo Reach Slayer Unlimited (Zealot CTF)
Halo Reach Squad Slayer

Invasion
Team Ball (got addicted to it because of the MCC playlist)
CTF
BTB
Infection

Halo 5 better have Invasion even if there are no Elites. Dominion can take a walk.

Impala26

The afk thing isn't unique to Halo though. It happens in every multi-player game. Destiny is a ragingly frustrating example. It'll eventually time people out, but it still takes too long to do so.

Destiny Crucible is a Charlie Foxtrot of nearly-epic proportions, but the one thing Bungie did manage to do right was to de-incentivize quitting by still rewarding losing players but not as much as those who win. It's a system that still motivates you to win for better (at least modestly better) rewards but also keeps folks playing even if the game has truly started to run away with one team or player.

Agreed though that the automatic time-out boots need to be faster. People were countering the auto time-outs by simply taping/tying down their control sticks so that players wouldn't be read as "idle". Bungie then further changed the system by making it so that if the player doesn't register at least ONE kill, they get zero rewards.

Definitely think that Halo 5 should follow a Reach-like credits/XP system for cosmetic rewards, but also be a two-pronged system where rank is taken into account as well. Honestly, I think even the social playlists should be ranked as well, but that that rank is hidden to the player.

Akai__

It's a fine line to walk for devs, because on one hand if you don't penalize quitters, you'll piss off people who don't quit and they'll eventually stop playing. If you penalize too harshly, you'll lose the quitters as players. Devs don't want to lose anyone. So it's a balance of enough penalty but not too much penalty.

If your game has a ranking system, it should punish you very hard. Don't play in ranked modes, if you are quitting either way. Social should still give quit penalties, but not hard ones.

And more people will abandon the game if they get punished for quitting because of bad team mates or etc.

I seriously cant stand when two or 3 people in my team cant get a kill after 5 minutes. Thats a reason for me to quit. Its a waste of time and not fun for me.

Doubt it. If people want to play Halo, they will play Halo. Of course they will be mad, but they will realize it's their own fault.

And I get where you are comming from. Since Reach, decent players are carrying their whole team due to no TrueSkill or ranking system matching. I hope this changes for the people who will enjoy playing Halo 5.

AlStrong

i really really disliked invasion. it was a mess.
Maybe they could take a couple pages from Overrun in Gears Judgment and add A.I. controlled bots - mix things up a little. Also use a class-based system for players, earn points to choose higher tier units - aliens vs UNSC (unaugmented soldier, ODST/SII/SIII/SIV).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So weird. I just went to check the email account used for xbox, and the first one i see is "Bing rewards: Are you kitten me?"

Is this real life?
Welp, I was going to wait to announce this, but looks like the cat is out of the bag. I just got signed on as the new official spokesperson for the Xbox brand. I'd like to thank that one person who posted #hirekittens that one time. Wahrer, post one of the five hundred gifs you have of me to celebra-- oh wait, you can't, my bad.

wwm0nkey

Halo online files have been dumped apparently.

darkcode-turf1.jpg

Welp, I was going to wait to announce this, but looks like the cat is out of the bag. I just got signed on as the new official spokesperson for the Xbox brand. I'd like to thank that one person who posted #hirekittens that one time. Wahrer, post one of the five hundred gifs you have of me to celebra-- oh wait, you can't, my bad.

Que ohmisterkittens.gif

I've posted about it a few times, but my ideal Invasion 2.0 would be something that keeps the core concept of the original (one side offense, one side defense, various objectives), but upping the scale in every way. A metric ton of AI bots would fill out the roster, marines on the Human side, various Covenant species on the Elites. You'd be attacking (or defending) a massive fortress, with air support, vehicle bays, turrets (manned and unmanned), generators... all the ancillary equipment, all of which could be a target. The goal is for the attackers to complete semi-randomly selected objectives to breach the fortress and weaken the defenders to the point that the core could be seized; the defender's goal would be to kill enough enemies to force a retreat (think Titanfall's attrition mode). The attacker's goals would be stuff like destroying a generator array (to turn off various base defenses), blowing up a communications array (reduce frequency of various vehicle respawns), assassinating a specific AI commander deep inside the fort (reduces the effectiveness of AI bots)... all sorts of stuff.

I've posted about it a few times, but my ideal Invasion 2.0 would be something that keeps the core concept of the original (one side offense, one side defense, various objectives), but upping the scale in every way. A metric ton of AI bots would fill out the roster, marines on the Human side, various Covenant species on the Elites. You'd be attacking (or defending) a massive fortress, with air support, vehicle bays, turrets (manned and unmanned), generators... all the ancillary equipment, all of which could be a target. The goal is for the attackers to complete semi-randomly selected objectives to breach the fortress and weaken the defenders to the point that the core could be seized; the defender's goal would be to kill enough enemies to force a retreat (think Titanfall's attrition mode). The attacker's goals would be stuff like destroying a generator array (to turn off various base defenses), blowing up a communications array (reduce frequency of various vehicle respawns), assassinating a specific AI commander deep inside the fort (reduces the effectiveness of AI bots)... all sorts of stuff.

Go on... I'm with ya... Don't stop now...

jelly

Good suggestions. Invasion needs some sense of progression compared to Reach and allow people to contribute in many areas. Servers will be packed whole rounds if you give players good objectives or just shit to do without the game imploding because people aren't 100% on the same thought process. Make it a battle, not a round that collapses if two people leave. Battlefield Rush and what not have some good push and pull, Halo needs something like that, people just having a blast not too frustrated and feel like a few kills here and there, light team work and direction is pushing towards a goal.

Go on... I'm with ya... Don't stop now...

Lol.

Just thought it'd be cool to talk about again, since Invasion came up.

The trick would be balancing the defenders and attackers largely asymmetrical advantages; the defenders have the defenses and assets, but they don't know where the attackers are going to hit next, while they're a fixed target.

Player count would be 12 v. 12, with AI bringing it up to... let's say 64 vs. 64. Maybe more, if the 'bone could support it. There'd be a Reach-esque class system determining starting loadouts and maybe some perks, since each would fill a different role. Defenders and attackers would have different classes.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds fun as hell.

Player count would be 12 v. 12, with AI bringing it up to... let's say 64 vs. 64.
But having that many enemies sounds too chaotic / messy for my tastes. 32 v 32 with 12 humans on either side sounds like the most I'd want. But who knows, it really depends on a lot of other factors, like load outs, prevalence of power weapons on map, etc.

That sounds fun as hell.

But having that many enemies sounds too chaotic / messy for my tastes. 32 v 32 with 12 humans on either side sounds like the most I'd want. But who knows, it really depends on a lot of other factors, like load outs, prevalence of power weapons on map, etc.

Mmm. True. Depends on the map size, I guess.

Power weapons would be placed at spawns for attackers, and scattered around in various armories (which could be destructible) located away from spawns for defenders; getting killed as a defender should be a little more painful.

Guys!

I finally got a Bone!!
Downloading updates for MCC right now :D
Welcome to the all-in-one entertainment system! Your home for Halo!

On another note, I'm in desperate need of some halo teammates. I played with a number of Gaffers during the Halo 5 beta, which was a blast. I'm a bit bereft of teammates at the moment however.

Any interested parties?

Top Bottom