• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

dwells

Exploding grenades by shooting them is a terrible gameplay mechanic. Those in favor please like this post, follow and subscribe.

Thanks.
It's zero skill and entirely chance, but can throw off an entire battle. You might as well just have people randomly self destruct.

I hate it. Passionately.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Whatever can't be done in HCE shall not be done in Halo 5.

HCE is the holy grail of Halo. Before anything is added to future Halo games, the good book of HCE should be consulted first.

I do believe somewhere in the HCE book it says:

"Grenade shall not be exploded by any reason other than their own explosion property."

It's in Chapter 2, The Book of Cortana, Verse 6.

Impala26

Or they could change the bullet magnetism. :p I thought the shoot-grenade thing was in the series since H2 and wasn't a huge issue.

Yeah, I think it actually has something to do with either magnetism or grenade/rocket hitboxes being too big. As much as I hate this mechanic in H5, it's true that it's been in Halo for a while, just far less prevalent.

Hell, there was that famous Rooster Teeth "Fails of the Weak" clip from Reach Firefight where a rocket and fuel rod collide midair and kill the player.

Don't eliminate it entirely, but definitely minimize it (I personally had one game where a tossed grenade was shot in my face at least THREE times).

Tawpgun

I'm down for grenades/rockets being exploded or diverted with other explosions. But to explode from bullets is dumb. Just happens so randomly.

-Ryn

Banned

HCE is the holy grail of Halo. Before anything is added to future Halo games, the good book of HCE should be consulted first.

"Grenade shall not be exploded by any reason other than their own explosion property."

lol

A book should be written and included with the HaloGAF Historia. What a package.

It's zero skill and entirely chance, but can throw off an entire battle. You might as well just have people randomly self destruct.

I hate it. Passionately.
lol
What's wrong with blowing up a grenade in midair? It's nothing on the endless chain reaction grenade spam in CE.
Since it's entirely luck-based, when I get kills like this it feels cheap. When I get killed like this I want to punch a baby. In either scenario it doesn't feel good and it happens all the time. You die from friendly grenades too when the enemy luckily shoots them, and a Rocket blowing up in midair by bullets is another poor decision imo.

Let me ask you though, what do you like about it?

And who's talking about CE? No reason to compare considering you can carry 8 total nades in CE and the fuse times are longer.
I'm down for grenades/rockets being exploded or diverted with other explosions. But to explode from bullets is dumb. Just happens so randomly.
I do not think it's good game design to have regular explosions throw Rockets off its path. That's crazy to me and isn't fun or rewarding. Makes a POWER weapon weaker than it should be considering there are explosions everywhere in this beta.

The Gravity Hammer knocking Rockets away though is awesome.

Tawpgun

I do not think it's good game design to have regular explosions throw Rockets off its path. That's crazy to me and isn't fun or rewarding. Makes a POWER weapon weaker than it should be considering there are explosions everywhere in this beta.

The Gravity Hammer knocking Rockets away though is awesome.

I think it still happens so rarely its fine and could lead to hilarious moments. It's been in the series since 3, and there have been amazing clips with diverted rockets. It's one of those ones where I think the potential fun of it outweighs any annoyances I have.

Exploding grenades by shooting them is a terrible gameplay mechanic. Those in favor please like this post, follow and subscribe.

Thanks.

Its totally random and annoying. Its not satisfying for the guy spraying the AR and its frustrating for the guy throwing the grenade. Nobody benefits here.

I think it still happens so rarely its fine and could lead to hilarious moments. It's been in the series since 3, and there have been amazing clips with diverted rockets. It's one of those ones where I think the potential fun of it outweighs any annoyances I have.
Rockets play such an important role in a match that I don't think it should happen at all unless you use a Gravity Hammer. Imagine if this was for every weapon, some way for your shots to miss due to chance?

Reminds me of BR spread, bloom, Armor Abilities (because you don't know who's about to Armor Lock, etc.) and other things that are based on chance/luck.

Karl2177

When I was playing with Karl he thought they might have magnetism to them. Like if a grenade is bouncing across the floor it would detonate early, but if there's someone close to it it will skip that extra amount or stop earlier to detonate. Not sure if I believe it...

But I don't have much of an issue with them. The just need to remove hitmarkers from them and it will be fine. In previous Halo's you could get hit by one nade and be fine. Now if you are hit with one nade another one comes hurling in.

I also think they bounce weird. They skip across the floor too much. I want to just bounce against the floor and detonation timer starts once it hits a surface like in 2/3

Yeah. I don't know about any of the other games in the series, but I know CoD:MW2 had grenade magnetism after the first bounce. What this means is once it hits a surface, it calculates the ricochet and checks if a player is in a certain area. Then it has a slight course correction to do some damage to the player. What MW2 did was super crazy and directed any roll after it stopped bouncing to the nearest player. I wish I had been recording the Regret game we were playing when I mentioned it. The grenade was rolling on the ground to my left and I looked down and caught it rolling towards me, and it was enough that it dropped my shields.

In terms of the sandbox, frags are my biggest issue. They don't feel good to use or get hit by.

Thanks.

I'm fine with it after a certain distance. Shooting grenades that are within a world unit of the player is bullshit and arbitrary. Ones that are further out are fine and don't interfere that much.

CliQ

Thanks.

I really think this will be changed in the final game.

Random elements are fine in a game but having too many can be annoying. This is one to many.

well then, HCE goes against its own word

EDIT: Ninja beat me to it.

AlStrong

Yeah. I don't know about any of the other games in the series, but I know CoD:MW2 had grenade magnetism after the first bounce. What this means is once it hits a surface, it calculates the ricochet and checks if a player is in a certain area. Then it has a slight course correction to do some damage to the player. What MW2 did was super crazy and directed any roll after it stopped bouncing to the nearest player. I wish I had been recording the Regret game we were playing when I mentioned it. The grenade was rolling on the ground to my left and I looked down and caught it rolling towards me, and it was enough that it dropped my shields.

Ec9O4qS.jpg

I'm fine with it after a certain distance. Shooting grenades that are within a world unit of the player is bullshit and arbitrary. Ones that are further out are fine and don't interfere that much.
That would only solve the issue of your own nades killing you but not teammate grenades. I wouldn't doubt if this happens frequently in a match but isn't caught by most players because they figure it's probably just an enemy nade that was thrown lol. Noticed some of these while watching replays :'(

Teammates shooting enemy nades can kill you.
Enemies shooting teammate grenades can kill you.

343, killing me sawftlyyyyy

EDIT: If magnetism is on grenades........ Nahhhhh, they wouldn't, would they? I mean, they wouldn't increase grenade damage/blast radius and also make them gravitate towards the enemy, right?

Tawpgun

Actually, I'd be fine with nade shooting if the ability for the nade to explode is aactivated after being a safe distance away from thrower. It's them exploding in mine or others faces thats dumb

HTupolev

Shooting grenades is dumb, at any point, because no one is actually doing it on purpose.
Pretty much.

I'm actually sort of okay with chain reactions on dead grenades in the campaign space, because it's something that the player can reasonably keep track of and manipulate, especially if the grenades are visually clear. What's going on in Halo 5 beta, though, is just grenades having a random chance to do something silly if someone happens to be using an AR in the area.

Sacred Icon has that cutscene glitch, too. Nice way to see Tartarus' in game model up close without meeting the business end of his Fist of Rukt.

Ramirez

Xpost,

Orion seems alright, it has the same lighting issues the rest of the maps do. The crushed blacks are a real problem, and I'm starting to really hate the lighting engine this game uses. Hope they're able to clean this up, be a damn shame if something as simple as visual clarity ruins the game.

There's a Hydra, Sniper, and Sword on the map. The Hydra actually feels like a power weapon on this map. The sword is useless and I really don't know how they're going to make it better in this sandbox.

Map is very much a long range rifle fight map...to GAF's dismay.

The ranks don't even work, yet. There's a coupple of "Road to 50" streams on Twitch and the people who are higher than level 40 are playing against people with lower than level 10 ranks. I mean, I'm level 5 in H2A and I get matched with >= 30's.

A rank reset needs to happen, whenever the ranking system starts to work properly. You should only find player withs +/- 5 ranks above or underneath you.

Then you'd never find players well above average rank which I'm certain these Twitch streamers are. Your argument makes more sense in Halo 5 where there's a placement round, but even then, it'd punish expert players with endless matchmaking times.

Thanks.

*sub'd*

Xpost,

Orion seems alright, it has the same lighting issues the rest of the maps do. The crushed blacks are a real problem, and I'm starting to really hate the lighting engine this game uses. Hope they're able to clean this up, be a damn shame if something as simple as visual clarity ruins the game.

There's a Hydra, Sniper, and Sword on the map. The Hydra actually feels like a power weapon on this map. The sword is useless and I really don't know how they're going to make it better in this sandbox.

I played a bunch of Halo 5 on Pegasus last night and didn't really have any problems with lighting. My only complaints are that I have no idea how to do callouts on Truth since everything looks the same. "Sword is down near... purple side, one of the purple sides!"

shrek

Banned
Anyone else find it odd how they're testing forge maps in the beta? Given how they're the easiest to change post-launch?

Madness

What I don't get is, if Pegasus plays well and fans like it, save for some spawns, why it's a Forge map as opposed to getting their environment artists and devs to make it a polished map with full skybox, textures, etc.

Forge should always be a post-launch option to get more competitive maps in play. A year out should be more than enough time to make Pegasus a normal shipped map and not a Forge one no?

Ramirez

Then you'd never find players well above average rank which I'm certain these Twitch streamers are. Your argument makes more sense in Halo 5 where there's a placement round, but even then, it'd punish expert players with endless matchmaking times.

*sub'd*

I played a bunch of Halo 5 on Pegasus last night and didn't really have any problems with lighting. My only complaints are that I have no idea how to do callouts on Truth since everything looks the same. "Sword is down near... purple side, one of the purple sides!"

Pegasus is the least offensive, but even it has a haze that is completely unneccessary.

Orion has an area covered in shadows that might as well make Spartans as black as the shadows.

The final map count is probably done Madness, I'd say these forge maps were done in someone's spare time way after the final set of maps had been decided.

RoKKeR

What I don't get is, if Pegasus plays well and fans like it, save for some spawns, why it's a Forge map as opposed to getting their environment artists and devs to make it a polished map with full skybox, textures, etc.

Forge should always be a post-launch option to get more competitive maps in play. A year out should be more than enough time to make Pegasus a normal shipped map and not a Forge one no?
Yeah I don't really understand the inclusion of Forge maps in the beta... feels strange. Are they going to be final maps in the game? If so are they going to be actual maps with art or are they going to remain in Forge like The Cage or something?

Booshka

Pretty sure chain reaction grenade explosions don't happen in CE Multiplayer anyway, so not even sure why it is being brought up.

Shooting nades or other explosives is pretty dumb and almost always random, so I think it should go.

Madness

The final map count is probably done Madness, I'd say these forge maps were done in someone's spare time way after the final set of maps had been decided.

Yeah I think once they finalized what the MCC was, Halo 5 pushed to next year. I definitely think the game feels and plays like it's ready for launch though (still a lot of visual work to do). I do think though that being a year out, they could use this time to make it into a regular map no? Don't know if they'd do it cost wise though.

Yeah I don't really understand the inclusion of Forge maps in the beta... feels strange. Are they going to be final maps in the game? If so are they going to be actual maps with art or are they going to remain in Forge like The Cage or something?

Yeah, Quinn said it's a 343 made map and to get used to it, so definitely a final map that will probably be in like Reach. I was just saying though, game still comes in a year, I'd rather have Pegasus fully developed with textures, skybox, and a unique look rather than just Forge only.

How would you guys feel about bigger weapon models displayed when not wielded? For example, grenades would be the size of basketballs on the ground. Half joking about that size, but it would make it more like a classic arena shooters and more arcades, which I felt was always a better fit for Halo over this realistic/militaristic approach to design. Halo Reach was the biggest "offender" in this regard due to its art design.

Alternatively, adding a slight glow over them would probably be more effective with seeing them on the maps. Don't the weapons in Gears glow when on the ground? It's a nice subtle touch and would make them easier to spot.

EDIT:
Nicee, my first sub! We in business.

Akai__

It worked in Halo 3 Xbox 360 and still does. I played Halo 3 360 yesterday and I found matches in under a minute. MCC can't even find players without any search-restrictions in under a minute...

It worked in Halo 3 Xbox 360 and still does. I played Halo 3 360 yesterday and I found matches in under a minute. MCC can't even find players without any search-restrictions in under a minute...

I'm surprised you didn't run into any new, low ranked players in a game from almost 10 years ago.

Akai__

I'm surprised you didn't run into any new, low ranked players in a game from almost 10 years ago.

How is this relevant to your previous statement? You said search times would take forever, but they don't. Even with a 300 player population and a 10 year old matchmaking system.

A ranking system can't work, if people aren't getting matched according to skill. Matching level 50's with level 1's doesn't make any sense. Might as well take the ranks out completely.

How is this relevant to your previous statement? You said search times would take forever, but they don't. Even with a 300 player population and a 10 year old matchmaking system.

A ranking system can't work, if people aren't getting matched according to skill. Matching level 50's with level 1's doesn't make any sense. Might as well take the ranks out completely.

How many 50s do you think there are in MCC? Who would they play with if they could only be matched with players 45 and up?

How many low level players do you think there are in Halo 3 on Xbox 360? Who do you think they get matched with? Players like you, just like in the MCC.

Has anyone picked up a Magnum after BR/AR starts?

If so, how often and did you find that it worked well over having a BR for midrange and an AR for close?

I'd forgotten how brutal that start of Gravemind was. Bungie just didn't care. :lol

Finally made it through, took me long enough. Tried doing some of the tricks Naked Eli did to despawn enemies, but they didn't work. Had to do it the hard way.

CliQ

Xpost,

I'm a fan of long range fights so I'm a little excited to play on this map tonight.

Haruko

Has anyone picked up a Magnum after BR/AR starts?

If so, how often and did you find that it worked well over having a BR for midrange and an AR for close?

Once, on Empire (Strongholds), and no. It's relative uselessness is my only issue with AR/BR start.

I'd like to see the magnum buffed to a 4/5 shot kill like others have suggested.

CliQ

How would you guys feel about bigger weapon models displayed when not wielded? For example, grenades would be the size of basketballs on the ground. Half joking about that size, but it would make it more like a classic arena shooters and more arcades, which I felt was always a better fit for Halo over this realistic/militaristic approach to design. Halo Reach was the biggest "offender" in this regard due to its art design.

Alternatively, adding a slight glow over them would probably be more effective with seeing them on the maps. Don't the weapons in Gears glow when on the ground? It's a nice subtle touch and would make them easier to spot.

EDIT:
Nicee, my first sub! We in business.

I think of they can light the weapon/grenade spawns up a little better then everything will be fine in that regard.

Madness

Why not just have the H2A little white waypoints on the weapons? Power weapons are easily identifiable with the constant chatter, the Green and White waypoints, just put whatever they did for H2A over the normal weapons which are hard to see.

Top Bottom