• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

People so bad you can dominate with the Bane and you can't climb out of Silver?? Kappa

I play like 3 matches a day, I win 2 of 3, maybe go up +12, the next day lose like - 14 etc. Those clips were from the first day or so though. Don't even care about the rank anymore. I think when it launches, I'll only play ranked when I have an actual team I know either with my cousins or friends, rather than play with randoms. Trueskill has been horrendous for me from the start. I still get paired with golds to irons. And sometimes golds will just get smashed, while bronze will destroy us. Haven't gone negative in a long time though.

CyReN

I think I've accepted that "my Halo" is gone, the beta was ok but I've really had no urge to get on these last few days. I'll still play and follow the series obviously, that parts still fun to me to see new stuff and a potential good campaign/modes happen. As for multiplayer, I'm not sure. It isn't me getting older that's the problem, it's the game going away from itself that is. I can still put countless hours in the OG 3 games.

Just have to wonder how much MCC will have population wise for me to play those games, it's 2 month now. I'm getting Halo 4 flashbacks with these updates. Getting stuff that past games back months later, I can only imagine ranks will follow in March or April now. I understand that the game had a lot of issues (and I really hope they weren't expected at 343i) but this is 2 games in a row now and it sucks when trying to retain fans and growing the brand. Were the hardcore guys and will stick around, others though? They're gone.

I honestly don’t know how to feel anymore, I could say I’m angry but I’m not. It’s so far past that, it’s amazing how a great idea on paper can be screwed up so bad. I can’t think of anything good that came from the release of the game. 343i looks incompetent in the gaming medium, our competitive league is praying the game doesn’t crash during tournaments, and the franchise is shitstained with this bad reputation now to deter future fans.

I think the biggest gripe I have with the series is the idea of playing with my friends again. Online shooters in recent years have gone the modern war route. This is not one persons fault - if that’s what people enjoyed then fine. But for me and a group of friends, arena shooters on the console like Halo 1-3 always had a special place in our hearts when we played them in our teens. The game was supposed to give us a second shot at our gaming glory years. A lot of us are finishing college, getting full times jobs, starting families etc. Its life, I know. But sometimes at night and on weekends we want to rewind with our favorite games online and modern games don’t do it. THIS WAS THE GAME, and 343 screwed it up. Plain and simple. No nameplate is going to help repair the damage and time you guys took away from us, the fans.

I think one of the things that sucks about the situation is that are honestly good people at 343i. I wish nothing but the best for them, but man, I don’t even know anymore after this dismal release. Your whole purpose as a studio is to lead the Halo name into a positive light but the last few years as a fan have just been dreadful. This was a chance for you guys to revive the franchise from irrelevance. I honestly feel we are now the Sonic of the Shooters, and it sucks. This brand used to be so prestigious, now it’s looked down on.

/rant

RSB

Banned
I think I've accepted that "my Halo" is gone, the beta was ok but I've really had no urge to get on these last few days. I'll still play and follow the series obviously, that parts still fun to me to see new stuff and a potential good campaign/modes happen. As for multiplayer, I'm not sure. It isn't me getting older that's the problem, it's the game going away from itself that is. I can still put countless hours in the OG 3 games.

Just have to wonder how much MCC will have population wise for me to play those games, it's 2 month now. I'm getting Halo 4 flashbacks with these updates. Getting stuff that past games back months later, I can only imagine ranks will follow in March or April now. I understand that the game had a lot of issues (and I really hope they weren't expected at 343i) but this is 2 games in a row now and it sucks when trying to retain fans and growing the brand. Were the hardcore guys and will stick around, others though? They're gone.

I honestly don’t know how to feel anymore, I could say I’m angry but I’m not. It’s so far past that, it’s amazing how a great idea on paper can be screwed up so bad. I can’t think of anything good that came from the release of the game. 343i looks incompetent in the gaming medium, our competitive league is praying the game doesn’t crash during tournaments, and the franchise is shitstained with this bad reputation now to deter future fans.

I think the biggest gripe I have with the series is the idea of playing with my friends again. Online shooters in recent years have gone the modern war route. This is not one persons fault - if that’s what people enjoyed then fine. But for me and a group of friends, arena shooters on the console like Halo 1-3 always had a special place in our hearts when we played them in our teens. The game was supposed to give us a second shot at our gaming glory years. A lot of us are finishing college, getting full times jobs, starting families etc. Its life, I know. But sometimes at night and on weekends we want to rewind with our favorite games online and modern games don’t do it. THIS WAS THE GAME, and 343 screwed it up. Plain and simple. No nameplate is going to help repair the damage and time you guys took away from us, the fans.

I think one of the things that sucks about the situation is that are honestly good people at 343i. I wish nothing but the best for them, but man, I don’t even know anymore after this dismal release. Your whole purpose as a studio is to lead the Halo name into a positive light but the last few years as a fan have just been dreadful. This was a chance for you guys to revive the franchise from irrelevance. I honestly feel we are now the Sonic of the Shooters, and it sucks. This brand used to be so prestigious, now it’s looked down on.

/rant
My feelings exactly.

Crazy that a couple of months ago I was happy to spend 500 bucks just to play the MCC, and now my excitement for Halo 5 (and the franchise in general) is pretty much zero. That said, I might still buy a used copy of Halo 5 down the line to play the campaign (maybe) Oh well, time to start saving for a nice computer I guess, since the FPS's I still like are only on PC.

I was actually digging through Ram and Biggy's Beta stats just now at the studio. Interesting discoveries.

Wait you can see all our stats and stuff with medals and what not?
Can we put in requests or something?

Edit:
Wait, isn't it like midnight at where 343i is at?
Don't you guys like... close and go home?

Pez

Really hate the de-emphasis of melee in the beta. Think I got one assassination the entire stretch of the beta. Sucks that 343's decisions pushed out that tier of halo in a pretty significant way. =(

Tunavi

Banned
except for the ark and the covenant, halo 3 campaign is kinda lame.

Lets walk through a jungle, blow up our own base, drive down a highway, take down a few cannons, fight some zombies, then finally 2 great levels, then back to more zombies, then a driving sequence on some giant squares.

No story, no cortana, all brutes. So lame.

Mix

Really hate the de-emphasis of melee in the beta. Think I got one assassination the entire stretch of the beta. Sucks that 343's decisions pushed out that tier of halo in a pretty significant way. =(

I completely disagree. I have had several assassination medals and melee kills.

Madness

There's a little wonkiness sprinting and trying to assassinate out of sprint. A few times, I've accidentally spartan charged instead of assassination. That's just me though. I think the slight reduction in melee kills is just a natural consequence of the new movement and defensive evasion. There is just more focus on gunplay and quicker kills, especially from a distance. I've had plenty melee kills as well though.

Melee based play online is one of the worst aspects of game mechanics design and the approximation of what is happening on your screen version of the game. Of course latency is the culprit but I much prefer the beta sandbox of movement and melee over say Halo 3 AR+beatdowns or double deaths or Reach's sprint+sword or Halo 4's even.

I always liked the H2 strafe+lunge to dodge an enemy melee or side step right to dodge sword. Now with the beta thrusters we have this back and more.

Madness

You don't think you're meleeing less than past games? Isn't that a good thing? What I mean is, much like with the sword, prophets bane, the game rewards the ability to escape from close distances much better than before. So if shields are down, rather than get meleed, you can thrust away. Or, because of the faster ttk of weapons, it's easier to finish kills with the guns, rather than melee? Or am I talking out of my low rank ass here?

Edit: Never mind, I hadn't refreshed and saw your post after mine Biggy and thought that's what you're referring to, didn't see the post after mine?

Eh, pretty much a non factor in every game I play. Just went a whole game and neither team picked it up, lol.

Now I have seen that but only in games where my team was absolutely destroying the other team. I just played a game with one semi pro where we both got perfections and towards the end no one went for the sword in the middle. I personally already had one but like you said the new spawn didn't get touched.

It certainly isn't the strongest power weapon but it never was anyways so as long as the spawns are often it's still usable to me. But I am a melee guy.

Now I have seen that but only in games where my team was absolutely destroying the other team. I just played a game with one semi pro where we both got perfections and towards the end no one went for the sword in the middle. I personally already had one but like you said the new spawn didn't get touched.

It certainly isn't the strongest power weapon but it never was anyways so as long as the spawns are often it's still usable to me. But I am a melee guy.

The game he's referring to (IIRC) was a close match with only pro and sem-pro ranks in the game. Trust me, the Bane/sword only gets used in a dong session. If your battles are getting that up-close on Truth (for example) and you're not in a blowout, you're not helping the team/the score in near-most any instance.

The entire reason for the uselessness of it, is, of course, over-descriptive motion-tracker that turns too many matches into standoff bore-fests.

Melee definitely is weaker, man. In previous Halo games, you could always try going for the melee, but here the reduced assist just means you'll end up punching the air 90% of the time.

Orion is really cool. I am really excited by the fact that you can now probably change the time of the day in Forge, I am a sucker for sunsets.

/rant

I mirror this feeling and stream of thoughts exactly. I got an Xbox because of the MCC. Halo 5 is cool, but I started longing for Halo 1 and 2. I fire up the MCC to find that it is still a broken inconsistent mess.

I pretty much feel that Halo is indeed dead and that 343 should just rename their Halo so comparisons are no longer drawn.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
How would you guys feel about bigger weapon models displayed when not wielded? For example, grenades would be the size of basketballs on the ground. Half joking about that size, but it would make it more like a classic arena shooters and more arcades, which I felt was always a better fit for Halo over this realistic/militaristic approach to design. Halo Reach was the biggest "offender" in this regard due to its art design.

Alternatively, adding a slight glow over them would probably be more effective with seeing them on the maps. Don't the weapons in Gears glow when on the ground? It's a nice subtle touch and would make them easier to spot.

EDIT:
Nicee, my first sub! We in business.

I favor more of the Quake-style to what the weapons look like on the map. Realistically, I'd like to see 343 make the weapons on map hover/float and maybe even rotate slightly, and give them a bright skin for easy identification.

I've passed up DMRs, SMGs, and nades because they blend into the maps.

If we're gonna call Halo 5 a competitive arena shooter, lets not take shortcuts.

jem0208

I favor more of the Quake-style to what the weapons look like on the map. Realistically, I'd like to see 343 make the weapons on map hover/float and maybe even rotate slightly, and give them a bright skin for easy identification.

I've passed up DMRs, SMGs, and nades because they blend into the maps.

If we're gonna call Halo 5 a competitive arena shooter, lets not take shortcuts.
I think the H2A method is the best, little icon as you near the weapon.

I don't like loads of spinning, floating weapons.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

/rant

Cyren, awesome post, and I agree 100% with everything you wrote. I have the exact same feelings. I like the you mention that the gamers who played Halo 1 through 3 are now growing up, graduating college, full-time jobs, families, etc. When MCC was announced, I was thrilled beyond reality that I was going to get to play Halo CE on Xbox Live...no more system link crap, no more hauling Xboxes to friends houses, everyone who played HCE multiplayer knows how much of a hassle it was at the time to setup games.

Now we have Xbox Live and Halo CE...yet the very core of Xbox Live functionality for MCC is horrible. Parties can't gather. Parties don't stay together. People constantly getting disconnected or disbanded from their parties. Matchmaking will just sit there idle...no amount of hard resets of the Xbox One helps either...it's like a slot machine whether you're going to have a good gaming session or not.

I will second what you said, "my Halo" is gone. It's on its last life line moreover.

The Halo masses, they've moved on from the past Halo games a long time ago. They're excited for Halo 5, it's new, it's fresh, I get that...and that's perfectly fine for people to be hyped for new Halo...but personally, I'm not the yearly COD player who is amped for the next year's edition.

I get that way about sports games like Madden, NHL and FIFA, but that's because I've been engineered to accept that sports games come out every year because I've been buying Madden and NHL, and even NBA, since the SNES days of NHL 94, NBA Live 95 (that one had a nice ring to it).

Ever since Activision made COD an annual release franchise...every other publisher/developer keeps chasing the hopes and dreams of becoming as or more sucessfull than COD is and gamers are the ones that suffer because of it.

willow ve

/rant

Truth. Deserves quoting.

MCC is still a shambles. Halo 5 is a solid "meh" to me personally. As someone who first got into the series a few months after CE launched and generally spent all of their money on gaming systems, controllers, switches, and TVs just to play Halo (and LAN in the basement) throughout the past decade it feels odd that Halo 5 doesn't appeal to me in the least.

Best of luck to the franchise going forward, but I feel like it's moved past what I look for in the Halo franchise.

Hopefully MCC gets fixed someday so the 1500 people who still have it can play.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The transicion to moderm FPS is a success I guess.

I would disagree. If success means, Activision found a way to cater to the casual market and make people "want" COD every year, then yeah, that's a success, it's a business success.

Innovation-wise with game development, I would argue I haven't been floored by much of anything since I dunno...Gears of War? When BF3 gameplay trailer came out, I was shocked by the realism of the graphics and the immersion of the gameplay...but my god...that game had issues beyond all things good and it continues in BF4.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I still can't get past Josh Holme's quote "A lot of people don't think sprint belongs in Halo...so how do we balance that?"

It's like...if I created a product, and I'll use my wife's love of cupcakes as an example, if I created a cupcake bakery and sold cupcakes, and somwhere a long the line, I get customers telling me that they don't think icing belongs on cupcakes...yet I say...well how do I balance that? How do I still put icing on the cupcakes and make them still enjoyable for my customers?

The customer just said, they dont think icing belongs on cupcakes.

The Halo fans have spoken, pretty loud judging by the gaming population of Halo 4, sprint doesn't belong in Halo.

So you balance that by still having it?

I just find it remarkable that people think that way.

jem0208

I still can't get past Josh Holme's quote "A lot of people don't think sprint belongs in Halo...so how do we balance that?"

It's like...if I created a product, and I'll use my wife's love of cupcakes as an example, if I created a cupcake bakery and sold cupcakes, and somwhere a long the line, I get customers telling me that they don't think icing belongs on cupcakes...yet I say...well how do I balance that? How do I still put icing on the cupcakes and make them still enjoyable for my customers?

The Halo fans have spoken, pretty loud judging by the gaming population of Halo 4, sprint doesn't belong in Halo.

Because the customers asking for no icing aren't your only customers.

The Halo fan base is massive, they probably judged that there are more people who would miss having sprint, than people who hate it.

Also using the Halo 4 population thing is ridiculous. Anytime someone is complaining about a single feature in 4 they point to the population as evidence that the feature they're talking about is entirely responsible. Halo 4 was dropped for way more reasons that just sprint.

Hyperbole.

Quake isn't anything like loads of spinning and floating weapons.

It's hardly hyperbole, there are a lot of weapons on the map in 5, I think it would look silly if they all were floating, spinning and glowing. I'm okay with it in the power weapons because it emphasizes their importance. But of you've got a magnum glowing a spinning its just a bit silly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

because there is likely at least as many people that do want sprint, so 343 has the expectation of balancing it for both crowds. i think they've done about as good a job as you can in regards to this. will be interesting to see if the balance they've struck works with BTB though.

343 knob fiddler. That's my boy, working his way to the top.
lol
Assassination's have always been super rare with radar active, lol.
The game he's referring to (IIRC) was a close match with only pro and sem-pro ranks in the game. Trust me, the Bane/sword only gets used in a dong session. If your battles are getting that up-close on Truth (for example) and you're not in a blowout, you're not helping the team/the score in near-most any instance.

The entire reason for the uselessness of it, is, of course, over-descriptive motion-tracker that turns too many matches into standoff bore-fests.
You guys really don't think they'll change the motion tracker eh? I'm sure* they won't either, but we must never give up that good fight!

And on the discussion of the Sword, you guys haven't seen Munch work I see. Played many matches in previous games where Munch would teleport to the enemies with the Sword; he's a magician. H5 beta Sword could use a buff where you can block bullets by holding the melee button or by Smart Scoping, but it limits you from sprinting. Remember that scene in Halo Legends: The Package where the Arbiter puts the Sword up as a shield to block MC's bullets? Well, that. Could be a pseudo-Hardlight Shield that drains its energy when doing it similar to the PP.

EDIT:
Because the customers asking for no icing aren't your only customers.

The Halo fan base is massive, they probably judged that there are more people who would miss having sprint, than people who hate it.

Also using the Halo 4 population thing is ridiculous. Anytime someone is complaining about a single feature in 4 they point to the population as evidence that the feature they're talking about is entirely responsible. Halo 4 was dropped for way more reasons that just sprint.
Yeah VAPOR. Halo 4's issues extended far beyond sprint.
It's hardly hyperbole, there are a lot of weapons on the map in 5, I think it would look silly if they all were floating, spinning and glowing. I'm okay with it in the power weapons because it emphasizes their importance. But of you've got a magnum glowing a spinning its just a bit silly.
Power weapons only for that and a more subtle glow-scroll similar to Gears for regular weapons could work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

The other side of that quote is "a lot of people do want sprint in Halo." He's basically saying they are adding sprint, some people love it, but how do they balance it to appease those who typically don't.

Also generalizing that "Halo fans have spoken" about sprint is wrong.

Sidenote: Use that quote button and edit button man! Triple post.

H5 beta Sword could use a buff where you can block bullets by holding the melee button or by Smart Scoping, but it limits you from sprinting. Remember that scene in Halo Legends: The Package where the Arbiter puts the Sword up as a shield to block MC's bullets? Well, that. Could be a pseudo-Hardlight Shield that drains its energy when doing it similar to the PP.

Holy mother. Now that's an idea. It would make it a more defensive weapon as well. Step out and see you're not gonna make it across the field? Use your sword block and step behind cover. Get into a battle and see their teammate running into help? Use that sword block and back up till your homies get there. It would have to drain the sword incredibly quick and there would need to be openings such as your legs/back but it's such an interesting thought. But as long as it's not a long lasting pause button like armor lock and has openings for weak spots that might make the sword a true power weapon again.

Imagine covering your sniper when the opposing team tries to return fire on him. Ahh such a shame it's a pipe dream.

Tawpgun

Melee based play online is one of the worst aspects of game mechanics design and the approximation of what is happening on your screen version of the game. Of course latency is the culprit but I much prefer the beta sandbox of movement and melee over say Halo 3 AR+beatdowns or double deaths or Reach's sprint+sword or Halo 4's even.

I always liked the H2 strafe+lunge to dodge an enemy melee or side step right to dodge sword. Now with the beta thrusters we have this back and more.

Melee is used a lot less in this game for sure. Part of it is bigger maps. Part of it is mobility. Part of it is less lunge. Either way I love it. Melee lunge was super dumb in most Halo games.

Aside from the no lunge at all in Halo 1, I thought Halo 2 handled it the best despite it having one of the more generous melee lunge distances. Reason being is you could strafe out of someones melee and even better, you could crouch and they would miss it unless they were aiming at your midsection. I missed those kinda counters in Halo 2. It's what made the gameplay fun. Button combos were also an unintentional awesome addition. Wish more FPS games had those kind of combat options available if you could think to pull them off.

It's what I like so much about the spartan abilities. You have an arsenal of toys and tricks that all your enemies have as well. But its how you use them and when that will set you apart.

Holy mother. Now that's an idea. It would make it a more defensive weapon as well. Step out and see you're not gonna make it across the field? Use your sword block and step behind cover. Get into a battle and see their teammate running into help? Use that sword block and back up till your homies get there. It would have to drain the sword incredibly quick and there would need to be openings such as your legs/back but it's such an interesting thought. But as long as it's not a long lasting pause button like armor lock and has openings for weak spots that might make the sword a true power weapon again.

Imagine covering your sniper when the opposing team tries to return fire on him. Ahh such a shame it's a pipe dream.
I think this sounds so awesome, especially considering it's a power weapon you have to fight over and not something you spawn with.

I should just apply to 343 already. Frank, any openings in positions where I could smile all day and bring happiness to the Halo fanbase?
Save the Magnum.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I understand sprint wasn't the sole reason Halo 4's population declinced rapidly...it's one of the many things.

I just find odd to be altering a game for non-Halo fans.

Sorry for triple post.

Duel wielding was something I came to grips with in Halo 2, but as the series progressed, it just kept going farther and farther away from Halo, and not sure why.

Counter-strike doesn't do this. Starcraft doesn't do this. Quake didn't do this, though their latest update on Quake Live begs to differ.

EDIT: My friend linked this to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4fyN6tuIss

The guy says leaked SDK fields show a new multiplayer system launching on Xbox One in 2015, and this new design may have caused the issues with MCC?

Tawpgun

I understand sprint wasn't the sole reason Halo 4's population declinced rapidly...it's one of the many things.

I just find odd to be altering a game for non-Halo fans.

Sorry for triple post.

Duel wielding was something I came to grips with in Halo 2, but as the series progressed, it just kept going farther and farther away from Halo, and not sure why.

Counter-strike doesn't do this. Starcraft doesn't do this. Quake didn't do this, though their latest update on Quake Live begs to differ.

You have to come to realize that many of the people that like sprint are also Halo fans. Being a Halo fan doesn't mean you are automatically anti-sprint. Keep in mind Bungie almost added sprint to Halo 2. I remember in the leading up to Halo 3 some fans were making "what do you want to see in H3" list. Among the list was stuff like Jackal Shields and Sprint.

Top Bottom