• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Chill out with the personal attacks guys. Arguments don't need to devolve into the typical finger pointing, post quoting, nonsense.

People have differing opinions.

Woopdiefreakindoo

CyReN

What is it about Halo 5 that makes you not like it? This small sampling is easily the best out of the box Halo I've ever played, barring CE, because, like I've said, never played the MP much.

I'm not a fan of various things with MP, I do think it's better than Halo 4 MP from what I've seen but that isn't saying much since that was my least played Halo game by far.

I know a lot of older Halo fans sound like broken records, but Sprint is really a root of a lot of issues causing bigger maps/players getting away/etc. It really isn't needed in a Halo game, this is the 3rd time with it now and it's still bad. I'm more for stuff like Clamber and Thruster than Sprint. Breakout a decent mode, wish they would add an OBJ.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Chill out with the personal attacks guys. Arguments don't need to devolve into the typical finger pointing, post quoting, nonsense.

Woopdiefreakindoo

co-signed.

There is zero reason to make a dissenting opinion about video games into a personal invective.

On the other hand, saying Galactus is better as a cloud is bullshit.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Woopdiefreakindoo

I concede.

EDIT: Last point on the whole HCE old schoolers need to just move on...never, I'm a passionate Halo CE fan and Halo fan in general. I would like there to be a new Halo game that incorporates Halo CE-style mechanics and concepts...there's nothing wrong with that.

Halo 5's AR/BR starts is a good direction, but the powerups need to play a role in the game alongside the power weapons, and they should be on static timers. There's a lot of potential with Halo 5...of course most of it depends on if we can connect to games.

Caja 117

co-signed.

There is zero reason to make a dissenting opinion about video games into a personal invective.

On the other hand, saying Galactus is better as a cloud is bullshit.

I laughed....

Halo 5 is nice, Havent play since friday, as no matter the Halo Im playing, the same 2 maps over and over gets old.

VeeP

Geez, I thought 343 ironed out most of the issues with this game?

I recently got a X1, and bought MCC yesterday. I let it download overnight and played this morning.

First match it took too long, so I tried backing out. It wouldn't let me and kept saying leave matchmaking. I had to dashboard.

Second match took forever. The guys in the lobby were cool. Talking about Halo 2, old days, the long Load times, etc.

Then I had a few good matches. Took a break. Few good matches again.

Now I've tried for about 3-5 minutes twice, can't get not a match. Fuck it, let's go into the Halo 5 Beta.

Also side note, does anyone else not like the Xbox OS? Is everything an app? The 360 UI was very good, they should've kept it like that. Maybe I'm just not use to it but it seems kind of slow and not that great. Controller is solid, but I don't like the bumpers. Dpad seems great.

Another side note, I suck at multiplayer now. Wow.

Booshka

I think the hitboxes and shot registration for CE in MCC is just more forgiving and generous than the OG Game. Overhearing conversations by ManTrain, Ogre2, Puckett, Nistic, and plenty others seems to confirm my suspicions. I need to check in on BiggyBlainz stream and see what he thinks, he has been playing H1 consistently ever since MCC came out.

Ramirez

We're all children, to be fair. We just have old bodies and more intelligence is all ;]

And I wasn't referring to you just "playing" it. There's a huge difference between that and what I mentioned, so I didn't mean to imply you're totally ignorant towards CE.

You can look through my post history, anytime I bring up CE, I always point out I never played it from a competitive level, so I usually do not include it in my assessments of the games overall.

I really try to not talk out of my ass on here. I was the only one of my friends who even owned an XBox, so LANs and stuff were just out of the question in a small town.

I'm not saying any of you are wrong for loving CE MP, just that it's very unrealistic to expect future games to mirror it.

I think the hitboxes and shot registration for CE in MCC is just more forgiving and generous than the OG Game. Overhearing conversations by ManTrain, Ogre2, Puckett, Nistic, and plenty others seems to confirm my suspicions. I need to check in on BiggyBlainz stream and see what he thinks, he has been playing H1 consistently ever since MCC came out.

I don't think you need a Pro to confirm this, pre patch, shots seemed very random, and after they "fixed it", 3SK's are a very normal occurrence for me.

Missed a dude come up from behind me on radar... he missed me trying to charge (or thrust-melee), and took a little tumble off the cliff.

http://xboxclips.com/Thorn+Harvestar/488d89c1-8ce1-4ad1-9d7b-91dc8f3dc898

Had another incident that I failed to record, where I was low on shields and tried to bait my agressor to fall his death... I leaped off the ledge, got him to leap after me, and thrurstered back/clambered on the lowest platform. My enemy outplayed me though, and very quickly ground-pounded me right as I finished my clamber. I wasn't even mad; it was impressive.

I was pretty sure his thruster pack was on cooldown; does ground pound not share it?

I'm digging that map; what's it called? Any impressions so far? These forge maps actually look pretty sharp despite their nature.

Madness

That following preview bricked my system lol, had to get a new one sadly. Props to Amazon for coming through and making a Christmas Miracle happen.

The preview program can brick consoles? Why did I even join then. I got a sunset console. If it goes belly up, I'm gonna be so pissed. I mean I understand there is a slight chance of bugs and errors, but straight up bricking a console is ridiculous. Was yours an extreme case or something that is common?

Haruko

I'm digging that map; what's it called? Any impressions so far? These forge maps actually look pretty sharp despite their nature.

Map is Orion.

I dig it. Reminds me of some of the better 3/Reach forged maps, gameplay wise.

The energy sword seems weak on it (and it already feels weaker overall with all the increased movement abilities), but the Sniper and Hydra are worth fighting over.

EDIT: And yes, Ram is right. First thing I tell friends who play it for the first time is "Do not look directly into the sun"

CyReN

The preview program can brick consoles? Why did I even join then. I got a sunset console. If it goes belly up, I'm gonna be so pissed. I mean I understand there is a slight chance of bugs and errors, but straight up bricking a console is ridiculous. Was yours an extreme case or something that is common?

Not sure how common it is, but has happened. Heard various reports from the Xbox One subreddit too. There's always a chance, but I'm guessing it's rare.

HTupolev

Sort of. It's working infinitely better than it did at launch. That doesn't mean it's "working", though.

Also side note, does anyone else not like the Xbox OS?
Aside from Kinect users, does anyone actually like the XB1 OS? When I play in a party, people talk shit about it regularly.

I don't think you need a Pro to confirm this, pre patch, shots seemed very random, and after they "fixed it", 3SK's are a very normal occurrence for me.
That's not a great comparison to the OG game, though. For a while MCC was essentially using HPC netcode but without the hit marker, which meant that there was basically no way to know what the latency was doing to your shots.

Ramirez

That's not a great comparison to the OG game, though. For a while MCC was essentially using HPC netcode but without the hit marker, which meant that there was basically no way to know what the latency was doing to your shots.

Ah, I misread, thought he was talking MCC before & after their fix.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I'm not saying any of you are wrong for loving CE MP, just that it's very unrealistic to expect future games to mirror it.

In my opinion, it's not asking for much.

I don't think it's unrealistic for Halo 5 to have the following:
1. Static-timed power weapons
2. Static-timed power ups
3. Multi-tiered maps (Pegasus is an great example)
4. Fair starting set of weapons, the AR/BR is a great start
5. Time to kill needs to be fast
6. Weapon pickups on map need to be useful and have meaning to give up starting set of weapons for them, they must provide a distinct advantage over the starting set, but not overpowering where a freshly spawned player can't defend himself off spawn.

Are any of those things unrealistic?

EDIT: I hate that everything on Xbox One is an app, it's an extension of Windows 8.

Ramirez

6. Weapon pickups on map need to be useful and have meaning to give up starting set of weapons for them, they must provide a distinct advantage over the starting set, but not overpowering where a freshly spawned player can't defend himself off spawn.

EDIT: I hate that everything on Xbox One is an app, it's an extension of Windows 8.

Halo 5 has all of those except for the power ups. What I mean is, expecting sprint & ADS to be gone is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Assassination's have always been super rare with radar active, lol.

Yep. Meleeing is really hard compared to 2-4.

Sounds like a challenge.

I would disagree. If success means, Activision found a way to cater to the casual market and make people "want" COD every year, then yeah, that's a success, it's a business success.

Innovation-wise with game development, I would argue I haven't been floored by much of anything since I dunno...Gears of War? When BF3 gameplay trailer came out, I was shocked by the realism of the graphics and the immersion of the gameplay...but my god...that game had issues beyond all things good and it continues in BF4.

I still dont find the appeal with the current gameplay in Halo 5, most of the new features were already in other FPS games, maybe some of the Halo player base didnt play other game so much to notice it but most of the aspects are already in the other AAA FPS games.

I am actually quite happy the spartans can talk, maybe too chatty and the gameplay is faster and dont rely on throwing a greande to pop up the enemy shields and go for th headshot like always. Halo is changing not in the way I wanted to see by innovating on its own but taking ideas or mechanics and still doing babysteps in other aspects some already experienced. I am not quite sure to follow Halo with those changes but time will tell I guess.

Ramirez

I see you and raise

http://xboxclips.com/Glassjaw84/b94035f4-3ebc-45bf-8c5d-767940ebb025

At the time I didn't see the guy until he landed his third shot on me, looking back I still can't.

Yea, they really have to do something about the lighting in the game, it's really bad across all of the maps.

and dont rely on throwing a greande to pop up the enemy shields and go for th headshot like always.

I don't get this? Still the best way to take people out.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Halo 5 has all of those except for the power ups. What I mean is, expecting sprint & ADS to be gone is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Eh, I've gotten over that stuff long ago.

I was mostly bummed about the starting weapons. The AR/BR is good, makes the game fun. ;)

Ay, pal.. Wanting and expecting are two totally different things lol.
Combat Evolved 2
is when I'll expect these things ;]
My thoughts exactly. Not to discredit anything from the people thinking the hitboxes were increased, but idk.. Puckett's alright at CE, but a lot of the people who played back then were/still are winey, immature brats. The culture of many were cliquey and "lol get spanked loser bad kid scrub, you can't touch me.." T2 was the same back then as he seems today, for example, and he wasn't even hot shit at that game. Lots of wannabe gangsters who wouldn't know what to do if caught in a serious situation like how they acted lol, so I'm hoping it's not just them being upset over losing their GOD TIER status (OGRE2 specifically) anymore now that we can play on XBL. I'm sure there are still GOD TIER players out there who never touched XBC and would beat some of the more known players today. The OGRES would probably still win every 2v2 tourney anyway..

That being said, I should note that there was equally as much LUV in the community, so don't let what I just said be an umbrella for the entire demographic of CE players, just several very vocal people. This is why I find it MOST important for 343 to acknowledge it before I fully believe anything the old school CE players are saying right now.

Cow

co-signed.

You would co sign this. There is zero reason to do this unless of course the company or individual has completely misguided it's fans. Essentially tricking them into purchasing a new console and game. I definitely despise such people.

I recently got a X1, and bought MCC yesterday. I let it download overnight and played this morning.

First match it took too long, so I tried backing out. It wouldn't let me and kept saying leave matchmaking. I had to dashboard.

Second match took forever. The guys in the lobby were cool. Talking about Halo 2, old days, the long Load times, etc.

Then I had a few good matches. Took a break. Few good matches again.

Now I've tried for about 3-5 minutes twice, can't get not a match. Fuck it, let's go into the Halo 5 Beta.

Also side note, does anyone else not like the Xbox OS? Is everything an app? The 360 UI was very good, they should've kept it like that. Maybe I'm just not use to it but it seems kind of slow and not that great. Controller is solid, but I don't like the bumpers. Dpad seems great.

Another side note, I suck at multiplayer now. Wow.

The Xbone OS is quite terrible, I agree. Especially coming off the near-perfection of the X360. It's sad, but hopefully they'll fix it.

-Ryn

Banned
Map is Orion.

I dig it. Reminds me of some of the better 3/Reach forged maps, gameplay wise.

The energy sword seems weak on it (and it already feels weaker overall with all the increased movement abilities), but the Sniper and Hydra are worth fighting over.

EDIT: And yes, Ram is right. First thing I tell friends who play it for the first time is "Do not look directly into the sun"
I see you and raise

http://xboxclips.com/Glassjaw84/b94035f4-3ebc-45bf-8c5d-767940ebb025

At the time I didn't see the guy until he landed his third shot on me, looking back I still can't.
623976-4NqMQJsgpihWWh4o.jpg

Too close to the Sun - 40G

VeeP

Quick impressions of Halo 5, I haven't really seen too much footage besides the debut one.

Good graphics, Heretic has great atmosphere. I feel like some weapons get kinda lost/blend in with the surroundings, but I've only played like 3 matches or so.

Super smooth. I love it.

Thrust is really useful. I like it a lot.

Sprint is a mixed bag, I won't comment on it. Obviously 343 wants to keep it. I'm sure they've heard plenty of arguments for and against it.

Iron sights/Zoom/etc. is interesting. Tbh, I'm fine with the BR zoom. But doesn't the iron sights on AR make it too accurate? I tried it out and I killed someone trying to BR me. Range wasn't super close but idk, felt easy. Again, I've only played 3 matches.

When I jump and zoom is there a hover thing going on? I managed to kill two people doing this who were far away.

UI/Lobbies/etc. shit on Halo 4.

Spartan Chatter or whatever it's called, I like it.

I don't like the Spartans celebrations at the end of a match. Idk, seems kinda silly or something. I can't put my finger on why I don't like it. I feel like it could be done better.

I really liked how if you press back you can see all the kills assist and deaths. Really great feature.

-Ryn

Banned
You would co sign this. There is zero reason to do this unless of course the company or individual has completely misguided it's fans. Essentially tricking them into purchasing a new console and game. I definitely despise such people.
Marty-McFly-What.gif

Madness

The game still 11 months away and now ADS is expected to be a mainstay of the game and series moving forward. It's literally added nothing for me.

-Ryn

Banned
The game still 11 months away and now ADS is expected to be a mainstay of the game and series moving forward. It's literally added nothing for me.
Personally, I'm still holding out hope for a toggle. It doesn't seem all that far fetched.

jem0208

Other than power ups, which are coming, every single one of these is the case with 5.

Ramirez

shutup, dingus.

Don't be mad that my BR is more stable than yours. Tashi you shouldn't have let him in on his standing in the beta, he couldn't handle that pressure last night and folded.

To the majority of people, it makes the game feel modern. It also takes nothing away from you control wise, it could have been much worse.

Rumor is a September release which puts Halo 5 a lot closer than I'm comfortable with. Just delay the game, 343. I'd honestly be happier to a 2016 release date, but even Christmas makes more sense. You need the extra time, I'm sure of it.

Madness

To the majority of people, it makes the game feel modern. It also takes nothing away from you control wise, it could have been much worse.

What does that even mean though? Basically that it makes it seem more like Call of Duty right? Also, it does take away from you. The BR is inoffensive because it's a smaller iron sights (still the bottom of the screen is covered), but things like the DMR are horrendous with the scope. Lightrifle works decent, but even still.

Plus, stabilizers on by default mean that jumping and aiming can't happen. Weapons like the AR and SMG are made much better. Sure it could have been worse, but to me, it's still worse than what we had in Halo 5 and Halo 2 Anniversary the most recent releases. I don't ADS if I can help it. Prophets Bane with having to right click to get the lunge was ridiculous compared to the ease of left trigger as well.

Ramirez

What does that even mean though? Basically that it makes it seem more like Call of Duty right? Also, it does take away from you. The BR is inoffensive because it's a smaller iron sights (still the bottom of the screen is covered), but things like the DMR are horrendous with the scope. Lightrifle works decent, but even still.

Plus, stabilizers on by default mean that jumping and aiming can't happen. Weapons like the AR and SMG are made much better. Sure it could have been worse, but to me, it's still worse than what we had in Halo 5 and Halo 2 Anniversary the most recent releases. I don't ADS if I can help it. Prophets Bane with having to right click to get the lunge was ridiculous compared to the ease of left trigger as well.

It means that any AAA shooter released now will more than likely have ADS.

I mean, I get that you don't like it, and you can be mad about it, still ain't gonna change it bruh.

Madness

It means that any AAA shooter released now will more than likely have ADS.

I mean, I get that you don't like it, and you can be mad about it, still ain't gonna change it bruh.

Which is a shame. I remember when Destiny launched, I asked why people didn't like Reach or Halo 4 as much, and yet play games like Destiny, Battlefield etc. Consensus was, Destiny was it's own thing now, free of any past history and so could do what they want, but Halo tried to be too different from what it is.

Now, it seems Halo needs to not be it's own thing, but follow in the vein of other shooters. Aside from the randomness being removed, people feel Halo needed all this new stuff.

Edit: Not saying it didn't work. I don't envy 343 and the position they are in and what they've done is probably the best compromise, because it does have the core philosophies of Halo at heart. I just hate that it had to be a compromise.

Stinkles

wat

I have read this eight time and I have no idea what you're getting at or why.

Look at Frankie doge'ing my question about CE because he's a manipulator and a fiend. Turrible human bean. Not a real hero.

Read that 8 times homie thug life.
Cow's a banana.
Quack.
Whoever you get this reference without cheating, <3

Cow

wat

I have read this eight time and I have no idea what you're getting at or why.

"There is zero reason to make a dissenting opinion about video games into a personal invective."

Maybe I should use an example to make it a bit clearer, and I may have skewed this quote to suit my own agenda. If the video game were MCC and I was led to believe it would function a certain way before release by certain individuals, such as yourself and Dan Ayoub. Then upon release of the said game, it is in a completely dysfunctional state and 2 months later is still completely ruined in terms of matchmaking. Would it not be fair to form a personal opinion about people that mislead thousands of people into purchasing a $400 console and a $60 copy of their game that doesn't work as initially stated. I have no respect for people that mislead up until release and become a wall of vagueness or simply disappear (Example: Dan Ayoub) after launch of such a game.

"There is zero reason to make a dissenting opinion about video games into a personal invective."

Maybe I should use an example to make it a bit clearer, and I may have skewed this quote to suit my own agenda. If the video game were MCC and I was led to believe it would function a certain way before release by certain individuals, such as yourself and Dan Ayoub. Then upon release of the said game, it is in a completely dysfunctional state and 2 months later is still completely ruined in terms of matchmaking. Would it not be fair to form a personal vendetta against people that mislead thousands of people into purchasing a $400 console and a $60 copy of their game that doesn't work as initially stated. I have no respect for people that mislead up until release and become a wall of vagueness or simply disappear (Example: Dan Ayoub) after launch of such a game.

Personal vendetta? Bit much ain't it?

(Game is still totally broken for me sadly)

Stinkles

Maybe I should use an example to make it a bit clearer, and I may have skewed this quote to suit my own agenda. If the video game were MCC and I was led to believe it would function a certain way before release by certain individuals, such as yourself and Dan Ayoub. Then upon release of the said game, it is in a completely dysfunctional state and 2 months later is still completely ruined in terms of matchmaking. Would it not be fair to form a personal vendetta against people that mislead thousands of people into purchasing a $400 console and a $60 copy of their game that doesn't work as initially stated. I have no respect for people that mislead up until release and become a wall of vagueness or simply disappear (Example: Dan Ayoub) after launch of such a game.

Firstly, no it would never be ok to launch a personal vendetta against people.

Which is not the same as being annoyed or upset. You have the right to be upset and angry at me, us, 343 etc. Being angry, or upset is not launching a personal vendetta. Which of course has NOTHING to do with the conversation Ramirez and TTU were having (a conversation they themselves actually ameliorated and regained civility over)

Secondly, the unacceptable state of MCC was not done to deliberately dupe anyone. If you genuinely think I knew the game was going to behave that way at launch, let me state clearly, I did not. The issues we encountered after launch into the real retail environment were not what we encountered during test.

The "wall of vagueness" is a combination of actually working busily to fix it and not wanting to make promises as we continue to try to fix it once and for all. Once that's done (and I have some optimism that will be soon), we'll have more detail and clear answers and can be less vague.

I don't have any right to be, or stable platform from which to be indignant - I will be enduring scorn and mistrust for years to come, over matters over which I have zero control - and I will take my medicine and suck it up - but taking an unrelated call for civility in a completely unrelated conversation and turning it into the antitheses of a call for civility, and derailing this thread, isn't helpful. And it makes it impossible to have conversations. Conversations you yourself are asking for.

Since Stinkles is here.

Hey, anything to expect on the horizon, news or updates?
You should do what Bungie did and tease something once in a while. Like I remember when they had the Plasma Launcher firing sound in an update once leaving the community to madly speculate about what it was.
Good times.

I'll look up more 343i leakers if you want to hear more about how people claim
Jun becomes the big bad with Forerunner augmentation.

Plus, you know, defuse the situation and whatnot.

Top Bottom