• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

That's exactly what I meant. It feels like a Halo game (IMO). To me, all the other crap is secondary to that. Sure, I don't particularly like loadouts, and I really don't like the ordnance system. However I can just look past those issues and enjoy the game regardless. I still find it fun to duke it out in a BR battle or splatter someone on a mongoose.

I am British and over 15.

I'm not saying everyone is, but there are definitely a few, as Poodlestrike pointed out.

You keep saying it's secondary but it's not. Loadouts have a direct impact on shooting and game play in the fact that two people can spawn with two different weapons. That alone makes the game play nothing like classic Halo and more akin to Call of Duty. It's not the same as if you pick a weapon up on the map. Literally at the start of the game someone can have an AR, another a DMR etc. With sprint and flinch, you said the movement and gunplay is still Halo and not CoD, and yet these two things make it so much more like CoD than any Halo game. Ordnance pretty much took away any aspect of map or power weapon control, just became 8 random dudes with random weapons just sprinting around, instant respawning.

But you're right it's all opinions. Mine doesn't matter anymore than yours does.

jem0208

I remember a lot of us saying similar things when Halo 4 first came out. The core is really solid, but all the secondary stuff really ruins the experience. That secondary stuff shouldn't be excused just because it's secondary. As we've all seen, it has big impacts, resulting in a Halo game that only sorta kinda felt like a Halo game.
I just don't feel like their impact was that big, which is why I'm fine with H4.

Also I'm not excusing that stuff, I can see it turned off a lot of people which sucks. However they didn't have much affect on my enjoyment of the game, so I don't have a big problem with them.

You keep saying it's secondary but it's not. Loadouts have a direct impact on shooting and game play in the fact that two people can spawn with two different weapons. That alone makes the game play nothing like classic Halo and more akin to Call of Duty. It's not the same as if you pick a weapon up on the map. Literally at the start of the game someone can have an AR, another a DMR etc. With sprint and flinch, you said the movement and gunplay is still Halo and not CoD, and yet these two things make it so much more like CoD than any Halo game. Ordnance pretty much took away any aspect of map or power weapon control, just became 8 random dudes with random weapons just sprinting around, instant respawning.

But you're right it's all opinions. Mine doesn't matter anymore than yours does.

I'm saying in my opinion they're secondary. I recognize they were an issue for many people. Which is why I'm glad they're gone for H5.

what I'm trying to say here is Jem is factually wrong and should feel bad :p

I've had a shit day and I can't sleep so yeah I feel bad.

Not about H4 though, still feels very much Halo to me ;)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of feel like this stuff is more than just opinions. Like, the impacts of design choices on gameplay is Game Design 101. What counts as an opinion is whether or not you find unHalo elements in Halo fun or not.

what I'm trying to say here is Jem is factually wrong and should feel bad :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've had a shit day and I can't sleep so yeah I feel bad.

Not about H4 though, still feels very much Halo to me ;)
Sorry dude, I hope tomorrow goes better for you and you seek repentance for your bad opinions. ;-)

Kssio_Aug

Yeah I think Halo 5 is a good balance between Halo 4 and traditional Halo. They maintained some stuff (that I actually enjoy) such as sprint, but also step back in loadouts for example.

Of course many will still complain. But you can't please everyone.

Welfare

Yeah I think Halo 5 is a good balance between Halo 4 and traditional Halo. They maintained some stuff (that I actually enjoy) such as sprint, but also step back in loadouts for example.

Of course many will still complain. But you can't please everyone.

We don't know about the BTB mode though.

Ramirez

Dwells.

Oh, and Ragnarok.

EDIT: Forgot about FoolishFellow and ProvenDeadly, that's 4.

Dwells just wants MCC to work, and I really can't fault anyone for being negative all the time about MCC, it is a disaster. Rag is a forum character, as is Proven Deadly.

Foolish Fellow is fine as well...you guys mistake passion for negativity, IMO.

Get on MCC and play with me nerds. Ram buy it again.

Literally never happening.

Nebula

I hooked up my 360 again because Halo 4 on MCC has a shite framerate. H3 is the only thing worth playing on MCC in my opinion and I can't be arsed wading through 3 shit games to get BTB games on 3.

Tawpgun

Oh my god had the best btb CTF Avalanche game. There was some real smart random with no mic on my team me and him fuckin rocked it.

Tawpgun

The best part about halo 2/3 BTB CTF is there are a bunch of reach kids that don't know the strats.

That's also the worst part since those people are on your team too.

It's okay man I agree with you but beyond Jem and a few others no one else is gonna agree that anything about H4 is Halo like. I love the base gameplay and the armor abilities. Yeah stuff like ordinance and random drops were wacky and had no place but theyre long gone and the Halo 4 in MCC is wonderful, but don't expect people around here to agree. It's all H2/3 forever and God forbid if you enjoy sprint.
Halo 2 is no more Halo to CE than Halo 4 equal starts, static weapon spawns is to the other games. Let the people flap.

I would play Halo with you guys (or at least the ones of you who play), but I'm so unbelievably rusty that I feel like I'd just drag you guys down. Need to set aside some time for practicing solo.

King Leo

Neo Member
What defines a Halo game differs from person to person. The addition of customizable loadouts and PoD affected what Halo is to me. However, that might not be the case for others. Just like how ADS isn't a big deal to me while it is a huge issue for others. Everyone's Halo is different, and no it's not as simple as being a casual or competitive player.

Madness

I would play Halo with you guys (or at least the ones of you who play), but I'm so unbelievably rusty that I feel like I'd just drag you guys down. Need to set aside some time for practicing solo.

Same. Even now that it somewhat works, all the joy and hype gone. Why spend my time playing and becoming upset or frustrated with a game. I just know every quitter, every crash will be amplified and remind me how shitty the game is. Plus, I'm also rusty as hell as well.

Madness

What defines a Halo game differs from person to person. The addition of customizable loadouts and PoD affected what Halo is to me. However, that might not be the case for others. Just like how ADS isn't a big deal to me while it is a huge issue for others. Everyone's Halo is different, and no it's not as simple as being a casual or competitive player.

Double post, but I tend to judge it on how close it is to the game design, game mechanics and game play of the previous games. In this way, despite how much I absolutely hate fucking ADS, Halo 5 is more similar to Halo, than Halo 4 infinity was. It shouldn't differ from person to person in my opinion. There are some people who probably want Street Fighter V to play like Mortal Kombat X, saying that they are just as right as someone saying I want SF V to play like Street Fighter 4 is wrong.

For me, Halo is equal starts, on map weapons, where skill, map control, weapon control decide the outcome of a match, not what someone does in the menus. I like a uniform and fast movement speed, coupled with a fast strafe speed, I like classic click/zoom. I tend to like single shot weapons over burst fire.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's cool, you can't be worse than the Reclaimer Hub kids. But for reals, you seem cool and we should play sometime.

So I'm thinking about trying to get back into halo. I just finished up my thesis so I have some time for video games again. is MCC kind of workable, and do people here actually play it?

King Leo

Neo Member
Double post, but I tend to judge it on how close it is to the game design, game mechanics and game play of the previous games. In this way, despite how much I absolutely hate fucking ADS, Halo 5 is more similar to Halo, than Halo 4 infinity was. It shouldn't differ from person to person in my opinion. There are some people who probably want Street Fighter V to play like Mortal Kombat X, saying that they are just as right as someone saying I want SF V to play like Street Fighter 4 is wrong.

For me, Halo is equal starts, on map weapons, where skill, map control, weapon control decide the outcome of a match, not what someone does in the menus. I like a uniform and fast movement speed, coupled with a fast strafe speed, I like classic click/zoom. I tend to like single shot weapons over burst fire.

Halo, to me, is equal starts, weapons on map, and competitive ranking. If one of these three things are not met, I'm going to have a hard time staying invested in the game. Of course there are dozens of other things I prefer (like classic zoom), but the absence of it won't drive me away from the game as a whole.

It boggled my mind when people said that the H5 beta detracted from traditional Halo more than H4 did. Like what the hell?! But then I remembered everybody has a different set of criteria for their Halo. A player might be offended by the addition of ADS in H5 as much as I was offended by the addition of PoD in H4.

negative_ghost_rider.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm thinking about trying to get back into halo. I just finished up my thesis so I have some time for video games again. is MCC kind of workable, and do people here actually play it?
It works well enough, but I barely ever see HaloGAF people playing it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Folks still play MCC, but it delivers more lows than highs if you're trying to play multiplayer.

For every fantastic 49-50 4on4 Slayer BR's on the Pit, or 2 Flag Valhalla, you'll get terrible team mates that quit instantly and or betray you, you'll lag out of a match before it starts, teams that are severely lopsided or something that causes you to soft reset or you get stuck in a menu. Or AR starts Crazy King on Isolation.

When it's good, it's great, but its usually not.

Add de-scope and faster default movement speed to Halo 4 and then we can talk about it being like Halo or not. I don't hate Halo 4 in MCC btw, just it can be better.

-Ryn

Banned
Played the laggiest game I've ever experienced in H3.
Even after it was just me and the other guy, the game was worse than dial up tier lag. It was almost ethereal.

--

OT: season 3 finale of LOST
Holy SHIT

Oh my god had the best btb CTF Avalanche game. There was some real smart random with no mic on my team me and him fuckin rocked it.
It's like Journey except with guns

Akai__

Have they fixed the vanilla map settings yet?

lol no

Honestly, even if Bravo said they are adressing Halo 3 audio and Forge issues, I don't think it will get fixed anytime soon.

I also find it pretty funny that H3 is the only game, where you don't get progression for achievements (like assists, headshots) at all. H3 has by far the most issues and that's such a shame.

Tawpgun

Folks still play MCC, but it delivers more lows than highs if you're trying to play multiplayer.

For every fantastic 49-50 4on4 Slayer BR's on the Pit, or 2 Flag Valhalla, you'll get terrible team mates that quit instantly and or betray you, you'll lag out of a match before it starts, teams that are severely lopsided or something that causes you to soft reset or you get stuck in a menu. Or AR starts Crazy King on Isolation.

When it's good, it's great, but its usually not.

Was at worst 50/50 for me. But that's me playing alone. It would be a lot more fun with people. As are most games.

But I don't buy that more lows than highs. That's how it used to be but even playing alone I get more highs than lows.

Game would be great fun if people still played...

Netprints

I really need to put more time into MCC. I have been playing a lot of smite alpha instead. I might try to play at least once a week. Have a halo night where I just play MCC. Maybe I will start it tonight...

Was at worst 50/50 for me. But that's me playing alone. It would be a lot more fun with people. As are most games.

But I don't buy that more lows than highs. That's how it used to be but even playing alone I get more highs than lows.

Game would be great fun if people still played...

I agree with you in general that there's a lot of fun to be had with this game and playing with people you know always makes Halo better. However, there's still a whole host of issues with the product as a whole and oftentimes these issues collaborate to ruin a planned gaming session with your friends. Last night was one of those times. Some of the aforementioned issues are apparently being addressed by 343, some have not really been expounded upon.

First 7 games from my last playtime

Game One

a1_zpszc0sro60.png

2/3rds AR starts but Br Heretic in first slot so can't complain. Somehow Ar Narrows wins with three votes. One of my teammates dies loads then quits. Another of my team follows him. Ends up a 2v4 and lose the game despite going highly positive.

Verdict: Low

Game Two

a3_zpsabjqo5ni.png

Flag on Citadel would be great fun but forge still broken so it's an AR start and therefore unvotable for. Two br starts is wonderful but bad maps. Snowbound gets voted for. Original snowbound is bad not only for the shield doors (which are abused in MCC as much as they ever were) but because one side spawns next to a sniper while the other spawns next to... a laser. We spawn snipe side, I rip a couple faces for a double kill and one of opposite team immediately quits. We go 7 kills or so ahead and another quits. then another. 4v1, game's dead in the first 120 seconds.

Game Three

a2_zpszzpuqxge.png

No BR start for a fair democracy. 343 no excuses. Ball on Blackout voted for. One of my teammates is AFK for the first few minutes and the other team go 70 odd seconds ahead. Only 2 Br's on the map. Horrific AR gameplay in 2015. For some reason only 100 seconds is required for the win. Lots of holding the ball in shotgun alley and people camping with sword.

Game Four

a6_zpsqvw5xyiz.png

No BR start on offer. Highground wins.

Verdict: AR start slayer on Highground always and forever, a low

Game Five

a4_zpsp6ciapyi.png

I don't mind BR's on Cold Storage. Game started well. Someone on the other team quits after we get a four kill lead. Not sure what it's come to when a four kill deficit is deemed quit worthy. Two of his teammates quit immediately after and it's a 4v1 90 seconds in. The one guy remaining won't quit. I end up being betrayed the rest of the match by our random. We eventually all have to quit because the one guy won't.

Game Six

a5_zpsrnduhlvh.png

No BR start offered. AR's on Narrows. Quitters.

Game Seven

a7_zpswgiipgrb.png

Too many Ar starts in H3 list. BTB usually a safe bet. 3 good gametypes. I wanted Relic to win the least because one sided obj games have the highest likelihood of quitters. Relic wins. Other team have three quitters before the end of the first round. Rest of game ruined.

--------

Obviously this is sample data from a single session and it just happened to be a bad one. The last couple weeks had actually been pretty good. A combination of ar starts, quitting and uneven teams can destroy a Halo play session.

Even if one accepts 343 can't help the AR start in Obj due to forge, they can weight the H3 playlist so that a BR start is always available to vote for. Have they explained the philosophy behind the weapon start weightings, weightings which are overbearingly in favour of the assault rifle?

Ranks are needed in all playlists to reduce quitting. We were promised ranks in all playlists on November 11th 2014. It's 16th April 2015 and only one playlist has 1-50 ranking.

I'm really not sure how it's taking this long to sort urgent problems with the game out if they're working round the clock on it?

Top Bottom