• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

jem0208

Just curious, what was so bad about join in progress? At least for unranked games?

It would seriously help to fix some of the major quitting issues.

Tawpgun

Hmmm next time I try to do a play session I'll keep track of the games. I did a bunch of solo BTB last night and it was mostly highs from what I remember. Very surprising because I used to never touch BTB unless I had at least one other teammate with me. BTB is also a good way to have BR starts 90% of the time. I think every game I had last night was BR's.

Sometimes an enemy team quitting during a dongfest is par for the course and be taken as a win though. We did that shit all the time in Reach lol.

But 343 does need to address the map/gametype/starting weapon shit. Not sure what MM filters would do to matchmaking times but those could be good too.

Qutting has always been an issue in Halo. Quit penalties were never good enough. The issue with MCC is there are so many outright shit AR start gametypes that quitting almost seems necessary some times. On the other hand, quitting is more more prevalant this game BECAUSE it has 4.5 game engines in one.

A lot of people will get a Halo game they don't want voted in on top of a map/gametype they don't like, and so they quit. Quit penalties need to be introduced somehow, but not before they fix the map/gametype shit. I'm also not sure if quit penalties is the way to go for a population thats struggling either. We just need better playlist management I think.

Welfare

Just curious, what was so bad about join in progress? At least for unranked games?

This isn't CoD where you can spawn in whenever and be a badass. This is Halo where if you're down a man or 2, you lose map control and the power weapons. JiP would cause you to join in a losing battle where you can't be a badass from spawn.

jem0208

If I get JIP'd into an AR start on Highground 15 kills down I'm quitting straight back out.

I'd much rather occasionally join a bad game than constantly have to deal with people quitting at the very start of a game.

They need to overhaul the game settings and get rid of the bad gametypes, as well as fixing the weighting. BR should always be in the front, imo.

Some people actually like AR starts though. How is 343 meant to determine which the "bad" gametypes are.

Ghazi

They need to overhaul the game settings and get rid of the bad gametypes, as well as fixing the weighting. BR should always be in the front, imo.

Madness

Because more often than not you were put into games that were half over and you were on the losing team with no real chance at coming back. It won't help at all with quitting, because in H4, if you got put into such lopsided matches you also quit right out as well.

Join in progress works for Call of Duty where map control and power weapons are non existent. You can spawn with a sniper, shotgun, whatever and basically enter anywhere on a huge ass map. But in Halo, once the other team has secured BR's or controls key parts of the map or power weapons, it's pretty much over. I'd rather wait 5 minutes and play a match from the start than join into a match. So many times in H4 I joined straight into losses. I think the ease of quit/JiP also made me quit more often than not.

Without ranks or penalties, people are going to keep quitting. How would it help if unranked matches had JiP? If it's social, it's not as bad if you go down a man, versus ranked matches. Force them to not join again till the match they quit out of is over, or make them go down a rank. It sounds militant and can catch people with poor connections, but that's circumstantial at best. It'll catch most of the people who just quit because they're losing.

Edit: In MCC, I've found most quit before the match has even begun. Maybe 343 can figure out a way to prevent that, rather than start the match.

willow ve

Obviously this is sample data from a single session and it just happened to be a bad one. The last couple weeks had actually been pretty good. A combination of ar starts, quitting and uneven teams can destroy a Halo play session.

Even if one accepts 343 can't help the AR start in Obj due to forge, they can weight the H3 playlist so that a BR start is always available to vote for. Have they explained the philosophy behind the weapon start weightings, weightings which are overbearingly in favour of the assault rifle?

Ranks are needed in all playlists to reduce quitting. We were promised ranks in all playlists on November 11th 2014. It's 16th April 2015 and only one playlist has 1-50 ranking.

I'm really not sure how it's taking this long to sort urgent problems with the game out if they're working round the clock on it?

Serious question - does anyone at 343 even care about MCC anymore? I don't mean that to be cynical or rude - it's just a simple honest question.

How many devs are still working on MCC (to, you know, actually deliver what was promised)?
How large is the sustain team (again, you know, to actually deliver what was promised)?

At this rate it feels like Halo 3 is dead in the water. Forge won't be fixed so gametypes, maps, weapon / player spawns, can't be fixed. No ranks means no one cares (or cares even less) about quitting. The halcyon days when Halo 3 ruled over all other games and players (when not AFK or intentionally losing to derank so they could boost other gamertags) actually cared about rank is over. It is dead, gone, never to return.

Maybe that's really the underlying problem - 343 promised "Halo exactly as you remembered it" except no one cares about rank they way they used to.

Maybe that's really the underlying problem - 343 promised "Halo exactly as you remembered it" except no one cares about rank they way they used to.

With less frequent patches now it looks like not much are working on the game anymore.

There is soooo much more stuff to do in this. But we are almost in May. 5 more months and H5 is out. And i doubt that they really will invest anymore time into MCC.

Karl2177

Don't put a bandaid on it, when you can sew up the wound. JiP is very much a bandaid fix to the problem.

Tawpgun

Some people actually like AR starts though. How is 343 meant to determine which the "bad" gametypes are.

We have a word for people like that I believe it is "wrong"

"bk" and "scrub" are also acceptable.

1. There needs to be a tiebreaker vote. First slot wins is stupid and always has been.
2. There needs to just be a good weighting behind them. Let the people decide. It might also help if Team Slayer was renamed AR Slayer. I've literally heard people in gamechat voting for Team Slayer on Guardian over Team BR's on Snowbound or some shitty map because they voted for the map and didn't know TS was AR starts. They quit right after they found out lol.

3. Make objective BR starts like it always has been.

Hmmm next time I try to do a play session I'll keep track of the games. I did a bunch of solo BTB last night and it was mostly highs from what I remember. Very surprising because I used to never touch BTB unless I had at least one other teammate with me. BTB is also a good way to have BR starts 90% of the time. I think every game I had last night was BR's.

Sometimes an enemy team quitting during a dongfest is par for the course and be taken as a win though. We did that shit all the time in Reach lol.

But 343 does need to address the map/gametype/starting weapon shit. Not sure what MM filters would do to matchmaking times but those could be good too.

Qutting has always been an issue in Halo. Quit penalties were never good enough. The issue with MCC is there are so many outright shit AR start gametypes that quitting almost seems necessary some times. On the other hand, quitting is more more prevalant this game BECAUSE it has 4.5 game engines in one.

A lot of people will get a Halo game they don't want voted in on top of a map/gametype they don't like, and so they quit. Quit penalties need to be introduced somehow, but not before they fix the map/gametype shit. I'm also not sure if quit penalties is the way to go for a population thats struggling either. We just need better playlist management I think.

Yeah BTB is definitely a safer bet just because it's almost a guaranteed BR start.

I agree that dongfesting has always produced a lopsided game due to quitting. I've never seen it as bad as in MCC though. Opponents will quit over nothing and there is literally no incentive - no rank, no exp points for inheritor, no fear of quit penalty - to not leave if you're having a mildly tough time. Endemic quitting really began with Reach and it's telling that that's when Halo went All Social Playlists (barring the pathetic Arena).

It needs better playlist management. Heck it needs playlist management. They at least experimented with TU beta's and frequent reshuffles in Reach; Halo 4 had a new playlist every week for the first few months. MCC has a new list every three or four weeks I think? The main lists literally haven't been touched since launch. No refinement, no tweaking. For the H1/2/3 lists they Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C the default custom game settings, pasted them into a MM playlist then called it a day. There's been so much wrong with the product that playlist management barely gets a mention.

Serious question - does anyone at 343 even care about MCC anymore? I don't mean that to be cynical or rude - it's just a simple honest question.

I'm inclined to think that Frankie, Bravo et al care but they're not the ones allocating resources. Remember how they got that one code whizz to do the entire Reach TU by himself? It's probably a similar scenario with the MCC post-March TU. MS have probs assigned a skeleton crew to the snail-like once monthly updates. It's clear there's a disparity between what 343 says they will deliver and then what happens. The Reach and then Halo 3 updates that were promised by Frank on this forum never materialised and it's probably because MS won't authorise resources to non-profit making initiatives.

Kssio_Aug

BTB is pretty awesme, but the quitters really make the party in there.
Just played a Halo 3 BTB, started with 7x7, finished with 3x4. I mean, half of the game just leaved... =/

It was a pretty fun match anyway though, but indeed there should be a penalty for quitters.

Dub117

Played the laggiest game I've ever experienced in H3.
Even after it was just me and the other guy, the game was worse than dial up tier lag. It was almost ethereal.

--

OT: season 3 finale of LOST
Holy SHIT

It's like Journey except with guns
LOST was so freaking awesome.

Edit: Top of page, of course. Here's to the E3 Halo 5 BTB beta announcement!

Tawpgun

The other issue might be (and I don't know because what is transparency amirite?) that updating gametypes/maps/playlists might be harder than we think it is. Compounded by the possibility that MCC is being held together in a stable state by the code equivelant of duct tape.

Remember before matchmaking was fixed that every update they did seemingly broke something or made everything worse?

I think its almost like at 343 they are scared to try and fix some MCC stuff out of fear they will break it again. And/or the infrastructure for updating MCC is as fucked as the game itself.

People complaining about playlist managment has always been a thing. No one in the public knows how it works. Or has any idea. We sit here wondering why it takes 4 months to remove a fusion coil from Valhalla when it can be done in forge in 2 minutes. Bungie and 343 have NEVER not ONCE given a good insight about what it takes to update maps/gametypes/playlists. And because of that the public is left thinking #LazyDevs when there's probably more work that goes into it than just deleting shit in forge.

We have a word for people like that I believe it is "wrong"

"bk" and "scrub" are also.

I've never understood the resentment for the AR. While I'm totally for BR or DMR starts newer players always need something like the AR to use when they start so it has to be usable and available off spawn. Plus there's nothing inherently wrong with an automatic as long as it's not the SAW.

Just like a lot of people around here said the BR/AR start in Halo 5 felt best, and I agree I hope they use it. (God I hope the pistol has its use) But I've never had a problem with the AR as long as I also have a BR which performs better if they player uses it well.

Tawpgun

I've never understood the resentment for the AR. While I'm totally for BR or DMR starts newer players always need something like the AR to use when they start so it has to be usable and available off spawn. Plus there's nothing inherently wrong with an automatic as long as it's not the SAW.

Just like a lot of people around here said the BR/AR start in Halo 5 felt best, and I agree I hope they use it. (God I hope the pistol has its use) But I've never had a problem with the AR as long as I also have a BR which performs better if they player uses it well.

The issue with the AR is a skill one.

At low levels of play AR's are fine. Everyone runs around. Picks up weapons. Kills grenades melees weee fun and variety!

The issue is when 2 good teams play each other with AR starts. You know how fuckin impossible it is to break a set up when the other team gets control of some BR's and power weapons

"Well you lost control so you deserve to lose" is a common arguement. But I don't want to lose a game just because I lost the initial battle.

I think the AR feels boring and cheap compared to precision weapons but I have no qualms about AR/BR starts. Just give me something I can use to fight with.

It's not that we don't want the AR on spawn, we just don't want spawn without a BR. The AR is not competitive against stronger weapons so in an AR start game type when one team gets map control and control of the power weapons it is almost impossible for the other team to come back when they're spawning with a weapon that just isn't good.

Speaking of AR starts: I tried playing doubles last night with a friend and every game except one was AR/SMG starts. Why? Why would you do this 343?

Tawpgun

Delay Spartan Strike.

Copy Helldivers

Release Spartan Divers. Or Helljumpers and maybe risk legal issues.

I've heard some really good things about Helldivers.

Should have known, it doesn't work. I bought it on Steam. I get to the title screen and none of the controls work. Tried a controller also and that doesn't work either. Unless they decided to make this just touch screen only.

Anyone else having a problem or is it just me?

Lol they want to add ranks to the Team Slayer playlist. But isnt that playlist mixed? Doesnt make sense to make this ranked.

Make the seperate Slayer lists for every Halo ranked.

dwells

Dwells.

Oh, and Ragnarok.

EDIT: Forgot about FoolishFellow and ProvenDeadly, that's 4.
Like, I'm not though. I'm upset with MCC and the way it's been handled, and I'm upset with people being seemingly okay with it. I've had an overwhelming negative experience with game I spent $500 on to play, and I've been vocal about it.

I like Halo. I really do. I've said positive things about Halo many times in this thread. I like discussing lore, technical aspects, competitive play, etc. on here. I've got every single Halo game sitting on my shelf and a whole bunch of Halo-branded stuff. I've traveled for LANs and events and have friends I talk to daily who I met nearly a decade ago through Halo.

I'm someone that really, really loves Halo and has been really, really bummed out by Master Chief Collection.

Dwells just wants MCC to work, and I really can't fault anyone for being negative all the time about MCC, it is a disaster. Rag is a forum character, as is Proven Deadly.

Foolish Fellow is fine as well...you guys mistake passion for negativity, IMO.
Thanks; appreciate it.

Akai__

JUST RELEASE THE PATCH NOTES NOW

Here you go:

- New penalties and monitoring for quitting and betrayals
- A variety of ranking system improvements and fixes
- Updated Halo 3 Forge to include editing for all game types

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

I hope H3 Audio got fixd too.

But one thing i really dont get is that they are really unwilling to provide detailed patch notes. Why do we have to wait until the Patch is out? Dice posts their patch notes with an ETA, days or weeks before a new patch release.

Akai__

I wonder if it is possible to send the non-Forge creations(SAND TARP, Epilogue, Boundless, Pit Stop) over to MCC.

Totally is. They ported over some H4 Forge maps, according to some people in this thread. Don't see why they wouldn't be able to port over other maps, too. I doubt anything has changed with the actual map data.

willow ve

Man HCS needs to switch to a professional sports type scenario where player trades, transfers, etc. only happen in set windows (during the season) or in the offseason. Every tournament is like reading a changelog of who's on what team (or what teams are even named anymore).

Top Bottom