• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really like the new BR model, the old ones kinda sucked, they were just extremely generic rifles. The new one is at least somewhat sci fi.
That's not a popular opinion around these parts, but I'm with you.

And holy crap, first ODST and now this. I've agreed with you twice in two days!

Omni

I really like the new BR model, the old ones kinda sucked, they were just extremely generic rifles. The new one is at least somewhat sci fi.
I like it but the scope looks a bit out of place to me. I mean, what's even the point of having it there? The important information is just holograms and stuff.

RSB

Banned
I'm enjoying MCC enough that my good moments outweigh the bad. And when halo is good. It's G O O D.
Indeed. I've been replaying the campaigns with a friend who just got the Xbone and the games are as fun as ever (CE and 3 are still masterpieces) We'll see how it goes when we try matchmaking, though.

I like how that one thread turned into a "let's be salty about Halo 5" thread. That was fun.
FTFY.

I still want to see some actual gameplay before getting hyped, but I have to admit pretty much everything they are saying about Battlefront sounds great. 3rd and 1st person options, 60fps, offline bots, no ADS when in 1st person... the lack of space battles is the only thing I'm disappointed about, and I'm sure that'll be adressed eventually (in the DLC or the sequel) And yeah, it's great to see a console shooter in 2015 that won't have iron sights. Sure, it may not be a "true" FPS (it having a 3rd person option and all) but it's still cool. Although I'll probably spend most of the time in 3rd person, it's great to know that I'll have the option to use the 1st person view without having to deal with that ADS bullshit. See 343, it can be done.
C'mon Frankie, there's still time to add that classic scope option, come back to the light side and redeem yourself.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It's not working properly for me, and your stream was very laggy too. Mostly frozen with about 3 seconds of gameplay at a time. Tried telling you in chat but didn't seem like you were reading.

Oh, I don't keep it snapped when im playing. sorry about that. It was telling me there was some lag at first...but I think it evened out.

The re-broadcast should work though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
vVgl14M.gif

Cow

Has anything been said by 343 in regards to Australians being able to find matches in only Team Slayer and Doubles? It sucks.

Hi GAF, long time no post. Been busy. Got a few questions though:

(1) What's the state of affairs r.e. MCC? Have matching and lobbying been fixed?
(2) Any official words on Hallo Online and if it's ever coming to the rest of world?
(3) No mention of Spartan Strike releasing on Steam for Linux or Mac? Wpuld like to play it but I don't think I want to install Windows. (Wishful thinking)

My life kinda needs some more Halo at the moment.

Hi GAF, long time no post. Been busy. Got a few questions though:

(1) What's the state of affairs r.e. MCC? Have matching and lobbying been fixed?
(2) Any official words on Hallo Online and if it's ever coming to the rest of world?
(3) No mention of Spartan Strike releasing on Steam for Linux or Mac? Wpuld like to play it but I don't think I want to install Windows. (Wishful thinking)

My life kinda needs some more Halo at the moment.

1) Matching's been fixed, lobbying still doesn't work from my experience
2) lol
3) lol

RSB

Banned
In some ways my appreciation of its visuals has risen with time, especially as I've understood more about what it's doing.
Yep. Halo 3 at 1080p and 60fps has ended being my favorite game in the MCC from a visual standpoint. Wasn't expecting that.

Has anything been said by 343 in regards to Australians being able to find matches in only Team Slayer and Doubles? It sucks.

Yeah population and times of day to play really force playlist choices for us. I wish more would return and play MCC. The lack of forcing Aussie dedis by player/party choice is another factor IMO.

Omni

Huh, so it's not just me.

Sat in the lobby for like an hour the other night and didn't get a single game. Switched to the team slayer playlist and got one after a couple of minutes

fired up halo collection after ages and played 4 games.

1st game ended as soon as it started, i guess the host quit game
2nd game 2 people quit instantly so i played a very nice 4 vs 2
3rd game 'lost connection please try again' or something to that effect
4th game got my ass kicked

moral of the story, fuck halo collection im done with this shit

Ugh the frame drops on The Covenant.
After finishing Halo 3, 2's campaign feels immediately sluggish and uninspiring, other than a couple of levels the rest are straight glorified The Library.

So I hit up slayer playlist, find a game in 1 min, connection is good, I assassinate a hammer guy on epitaph as the game's first kill and then go the double guide button to record a clip and get stuck in the overlay menu and had to hard reset the console.

Talk about an exercise in frustration.

Here's the video for posterity:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/20e41df2-707b-4e35-bb50-12dc469428d9

EDIT: I keep getting matched up with Grenadier (HD Grenadier) the last couple of nights. I tried chatting to you in game mate and sending an invite, no luck.

Anyone want to play MCC now? Missed my spot on GTA heists so playing MCC solo ATM.

Tomash

So I hit up slayer playlist, find a game in 1 min, connection is good, I assassinate a hammer guy on epitaph as the game's first kill and then go the double guide button to record a clip and get stuck in the overlay menu and had to hard reset the console.

Had the same happen to me during CE Library co-op on Legendary. No picture of level too. Searched on google, that glitch was first reported two days after release day and it still isn't fixed.

Here:
http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601747

Fuchsdh

Yep. Halo 3 at 1080p and 60fps has ended being my favorite game in the MCC from a visual standpoint. Wasn't expecting that.

Well, it shows off how bad Bungie's faces looked until Reach, but yeah overall the design, at least in terms of human and Covenant stuff, is probably my favorite.

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah population and times of day to play really force playlist choices for us. I wish more would return and play MCC. The lack of forcing Aussie dedis by player/party choice is another factor IMO.

Thankfully halo 5 will let us choose where we matchmake. Atleast it pretty much guarantee that people will stick to their region. The MCC is a disaster of biblical proportions. But the worst is the dedicated servers bullshit .

Has there been any word if we are going to see anything new from H5 before E3?

Yeah i would like to see some post Beta vidoc were they show the changes they made after all the beta feedback.

All big fall games are starting to show something. Battlefront this weekend, next weekend is BlackOps 3 time.

CE is just too satisfying. Played with an old friend who still knows the game like the back of his hand and it wasn't even fair going into matchmaking (had some good discussion on ranks and a CGB, he plays a lot of PC games so he's been dying for a CGB too). I don't really remember the spawns, so all I had to do was time the power-ups/Rockets and be aware of where they could be at all times.

For those wanting to try CE but are turned off by its learning curve, first step I'd recommend is getting a timer and controlling power-ups/Rockets. From there, just be conscious of how long it takes to travel from one point to another and hold positions when you get Camo/OS/Rockets. For example, CE Camo lasts for 45-55 secs (can't remember the exact number), so if you pick it up on Hang 'Em High you can travel from Camo to top Power-up no problem.

There are many others, like the app on the Google Play store or other web-based ones.

Next I'd learn grenade tricks to be more creative in your movement. On Chill Out, it's beneficial to grenade the OS closer towards the Shotgun room so that split second is cut out when walking over that lip and potentially getting killed. Another example is the Rocket on Chill Out; you should rarely jump to it unless you have map control as it's better to toss a grenade off the wall and have it blown towards you.

If anyone wants to play some friendlies, matchmaking or go into Customs to learn stuff, I'm down to refresh my memory. Spam me invites if you're on.

GT: FUNKNOWN iXi​

CliQ

CE is just too satisfying. Played with an old friend who still knows the game like the back of his hand and it wasn't even fair going into matchmaking (had some good discussion on ranks and a CGB, he plays a lot of PC games so he's been dying for a CGB too). I don't really remember the spawns, so all I had to do was time the power-ups/Rockets and be aware of where they could be at all times.

For those wanting to try CE but are turned off by its learning curve, first step I'd recommend is getting a timer and controlling power-ups/Rockets. From there, just be conscious of how long it takes to travel from one point to another and hold positions when you get Camo/OS/Rockets. For example, CE Camo lasts for 45-55 secs (can't remember the exact number), so if you pick it up on Hang 'Em High you can travel from Camo to top Power-up no problem.

There are many others, like the app on the Google Play store or other web-based ones.

Next I'd learn grenade tricks to be more creative in your movement. On Chill Out, it's beneficial to grenade the OS closer towards the Shotgun room so that split second is cut out when walking over that lip and potentially getting killed. Another example is the Rocket on Chill Out; you should rarely jump to it unless you have map control as it's better to toss a grenade off the wall and have it blown towards you.

If anyone wants to play some friendlies, matchmaking or go into Customs to learn stuff, I'm down to refresh my memory. Spam me invites if you're on.

GT: FUNKNOWN iXi​

I'll play some games with you if you want. I'm on now.

This is a good clip to show two things:
  1. On that first kill take note of how I put my reticle slightly ahead of the enemy's movement and shot him with the left slit of the reticle -- Leading shots.
  2. Crazy spawns are part of every Halo. I kill that first enemy but his teammate spawns right behind me by Camo and I die. I then spawn and get two 3sk's. Reason I point this out is because had I spawned in a situation like that with a BR in later games, I would have been dead. These spur-of-the-moment double teams happen all the time in later games like walking outside a base on Beaver Creek to sets of BR's shooting at you, so if you're ever unfortunate to be alone you can't really do much except run and hide. This is the importance of having a very fast potential kill time if the skill ceiling is high in the game.
I'll play some games with you if you want. I'm on now.
Can't play right now, but I'll shoot you a message later if you're on.

-Ryn

Banned
Never seen a Roman numeral used next to Halo. I like it.

I found the old scope to be a bit generic and boring.
Ehhhh

The new scope looks just as generic imo. It's a pretty basic holo scope.

H5-Empire-Beta-8.jpg

Halo-5-Aim-Down-Sights.png

I think they could've revamped the original round scope
H4's square scope is fugly
to look futurey fairly easily. To each his own I suppose ;b

That water though...

So gooood

RowdyReverb

Which playlists do you think have the quickest matchmaking and fewest quitters? I usually stick to BTB because it provides a variety of modes across all 4-5 games, but I want to play some smaller matches

Which playlists do you think have the quickest matchmaking and fewest quitters? I usually stick to BTB because it provides a variety of modes across all 4-5 games, but I want to play some smaller matches

I'd say TS or H4. H2A is also fairly quick, but I found it has some of the highest quitting rates.

CliQ

Never seen a Roman numeral used next to Halo. I like it.

Ehhhh

The new scope looks just as generic imo. It's a pretty basic holo scope.

H5-Empire-Beta-8.jpg

Halo-5-Aim-Down-Sights.png

I think they could've revamped the original round scope
H4's square scope is fugly
to look futurey fairly easily. To each his own I suppose ;b

So gooood

IMO a simple reticle is always better. Making Something "futurery" is sort of counter intuitive. In real life you would want something straight forward.

At the time the water in Halo 3 was really cool, but now when I see it I can't help but notice it's more like jello than water.

Are crashes in H2A campaign common? Just picked it up finally a few weeks ago and while going through Delta Halo my xbox crashed and I had to unplug it and plug it back in to do anything. I know the game has issues but I've been a little away from gaming the past few months so I don't know the full extent of the game's issues.

HTupolev

At the time the water in Halo 3 was really cool, but now when I see it I can't help but notice it's more like jello than water.
I've always thought it had a sort of jello-ish appearance, but it's still damned good. The geometry animation looks nice even if it's not realistic, and the lighting+shading is very complete and consistent with other things in the environment. The "jello" look is mostly only an issue with the dynamic displacements anyway, and at least for Halo 3's aesthetic, I'd much rather have that than the smoother but less inspiring normal map variant used for much of the water in Reach and 4.

Top Bottom