• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Kssio_Aug

Some really fun matches in MCC this night!! =D
akdqnc.gif

Sadly, the last match I messed up a lot... and well, my team wasn't that good either, so we lost (it was a capture the flag). =(

It just doesn't work for a game like H2A. The excitement with Ricochet/Uplink is the "interceptions" and big plays. You can't have that in H2A, it's too calculated and slow for any sort of excitement.

Might as well play Extraction or... Assault.

The throw distance is absolutely insane in H2A as well, there are at least a half-dozen videos showing that you can pick up the ball off spawn, turn around, and chuck it into the goal. Lowering the throw distance would help, but I still couldn't see it playing that much different from the other gametypes or even playing well at all.

The throws are totally broken, I agree.

I don't think H2A is that slow though, going back to it after Halo 5 was interesting because the base movement speed is just so much faster.

I still find it fun, anyway. I don't think it's ready for pro-time, however.

HUH. Why is this a thing.

Anyone played it yet? I think I kinda enjoyed that other game but the microtransactions annoyed me.

It's a fun game. Beat the first operation, it's pretty much more of the same, if you enjoyed SA you'll enjoy this one. I'm on Steam so there are no micro transactions, so I'm not sure about iOS.

All it does is make me want to play a real Halo game though. H5 is too far away. :\

daedalius

The throws are totally broken, I agree.

I don't think H2A is that slow though, going back to it after Halo 5 was interesting because the base movement speed is just so much faster.

I still find it fun, anyway. I don't think it's ready for pro-time, however.

Base speed in h2a is faster than h5?

I must be remembering wrong

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Spartan Strike is pretty damm fun. No micro transactions, and the gameplay is fun varied - lots of vehicular fun riding through New Mombasa in the first set of levels.

Lots of re-playablity with achievements and in game targets and skulls, dailies and weeklies and co-op.

Sad I can't tweak the video settings, but controller support is pretty solid. Price is awesome considering what you get.

More of this please.

Spartan Strike is pretty damm fun. No micro transactions, and the gameplay is fun varied - lots of vehicular fun riding through New Mombasa in the first set of levels.

Lots of re-playablity with achievements and in game targets and skulls, dailies and weeklies and co-op.

Sad I can't tweak the video settings, but controller support is pretty solid. Price is awesome considering what you get.

More of this please.

Is the aiming better than SA or the same?

Madness

Base speed in h2a is faster than h5?

I must be remembering wrong

Halo 5 feels faster because of thrust and sprint, otherwise in my opinion, I'd say base speed is faster in H2A than it was in the H5 beta. But that's all changed because they acknowledged it was slow and are making movement/strafe faster for Halo 5 launch.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Aiming seems to be the same, I find it very responsive with my joypad.

Dunno about co-op. I assumed it was there but I can't find the option at all.

Confirmed no co-op.

6RiAZ1s.jpg

dsPMMck.jpg

Akai__

I was wondering why this page wouldn't load on mobile, but 6 gifs all between 14-21MB makes it pretty clear now.

You know, some people have capped internet (I'm luckily not one of them) and you are literally wasting their bandwidth. Heck, I have a 100mbit/s down 6mbit/s up conenction and still have trouble to load all the gifs at the same time.

Please link your gifs instead of embedding them, if they are bigger than 10MB, especially if you are posting multiple.

MysteryM

I was wondering why this page wouldn't load on mobile, but 6 gifs all between 14-21MB makes it pretty clear now.

You know, some people have capped internet (I'm luckily not one of them) and you are literally wasting their bandwidth. Heck, I have a 100mbit/s down 6mbit/s up conenction and still have trouble to load all the gifs at the same time.

Please link your gifs instead of embedding them, if they are bigger than 10MB, especially if you are posting multiple.

I agree with that - my mobile caps are taking a battering.

I know im probably beating a dead horse but another weekly update and another sequence of me feeling disappointed.

Of course ranks arent being added to everything, of course H3 game types arent coming for a few more months, of course everything is gonna have to take longer. Of course they dont even MENTION odst or relic.

The game might really be the package they promised by the time halo 5 comes out i guess.

Akai__

GAF lets you turn off gifs in your mobile settings

Yep - disable GIFs on mobile.

It's not only about gifs on mobile. It's about people who have capped home internet, too.

There's really no point in embedding 6 gifs on one page...

I know im probably beating a dead horse but another weekly update and another sequence of me feeling disappointed.

Of course ranks arent being added to everything, of course H3 game types arent coming for a few more months, of course everything is gonna have to take longer. Of course they dont even MENTION odst or relic.

The game might really be the package they promised by the time halo 5 comes out i guess.

Even Hamish Beamish could update Halo 3 settings in a day, rather than in a month. Of course the patch will have to work first, though.

Madness

Doubtful. They've moved to monthly patches now, I don't know if it's like Xbox 360, but didn't they charge companies for patches and updates, certification tests? They're definitely winding down overall MCC support. E3 is soon, the Halo 5 media blitz is going to start, and come October 27th, the majority of players will move to H5. We know it, 343 knows it. ODST and Relic, they said early spring, which has already started, but it seems like they won't come in April, maybe May or even Summer with June seems like when they'll release?

How much did they improve Halo 3 or Reach when Halo 4 was out? MCC was already dead in sales within 2 weeks, and the subsequent months saw refunds and trade ins like crazy. Even journalists and the industry at large forgot all about MCC. It's review wasn't really changed, and aside from a few blurbs at 100 days post launch, nothing else was mentioned. We might get some MCC news in the lead up to Halo 5, what happened, what are you guaranteeing so that this doesn't happen in Halo 5, and we'll get expert PR, 14 day buy and play level responses like this was something we couldn't predict, we developed new systems for Xbox One, we fixed most of the issues and it's just a few stragglers having problems now, it won't happen again, that was the whole point of the H5 beta etc.

FyreWulff

patches are free* on the One, PS4, and Wii U

* ignoring internal dev cert manpower costs, and weird first party rule 'gotchas', but much better than on the 360 and PS3.

Fuchsdh

More of this please.

Having the actual combat op challenges on the loading screen is a godsend. Figuring out which ones I still had left to do was a major pain in Spartan Assault.

Mdot

Do we know of anything planned for H5 prior to E3? I haven't really been keeping up with this recent marketing campaign outside of the first audio log thing.

Tawpgun

I believe 343 is trying their best to fix MCC. No one at 343 wants to leave it in the state it is. That being said their priority is Halo 5.

The plan is probably still in flux but I would like to know what the plan was for MCC after Halo 5 launches. No doubt Halo purists and fans looking for some nostalgia will like to go back. Or in the event the beta was a fluke and the actual game is a turd.

I really liked Halo 5 but wouldn't mind it being delayed a few months if it guaranteed MCC being put into a state that we expected it to be.

That being said that's unrealistic for 343 and MS as they want their big money making fall window. And I'd rather them make sure Halo 5 isn't a clusterfuck of a buggy game. But some post launch support for MCC would still be nice.

In my view, H5 would have been better as a 2016 release. This would have given MCC more time. They could easily remake all the maps for H2A and sell them as DLC. Add in Firefight, I'm assuming ODST isn't going to have FF, and if it does it won't have MM. They could also add in Reach. If they did all of this, plus all the additional fixes; MCC would have been amazing.

However, MCC is pretty much left 4 dead. Unless H5 is a complete flop.

Have they even acknowledged the games failing to load, or games randomly ending in the middle of a match? Seems they just lump it under "stability issues." Yet it's the biggest problem right now, that or the lack of dedicated servers. They should directly address it. Hopefully that won't count as "quitting" either, or else we're all going to be quit banned.

jem0208

Should be free for all MCC owners. But who really gives a shit as it won't have Firefight?

ODST isn't just firefight. It's also one of the best of the Halo campaigns.

For once, Jem takes a break as conductor of the bad opinion train...

<3

Would still like to play ODST Firefight in all its glory again though...

</3

Yeah, Firefight would be pretty amazing, I imagine there would be quite a bit of work involved with integrating score boards etc. into MCC's UI however. I imagine that's one of the reasons they don't want to release firefight as well.

MouldyK

There’s no aim-down-sights to be found in first-person, just a reticule in the center of the screen that feels more like classic Battlefront than DICE’s Battlefield. At one point, the trooper picks up a heavy duty sniper blaster and scopes in. At another point, he switches from first-person view to third-person and runs around hip-firing his blaster rifle. Like Battlefront 2, this game will allow for switching between first-person and third-person at any time.

Because ADS has moved to Halo 5...

...#HaloIsBattlefield

Fuchsdh

Certainly one of the best "side stories" amongst the Halo canon.
Audio logs could've been taken from a live-action film I swear.

It's also nice that until Reach it was the first actual acknowledgement of civilians in the game.

I still want my "Halo Flashbacks" game where you could play a slice of a Covenant invasion and get a feel for what it must have felt like.

Doubtful. They've moved to monthly patches now, I don't know if it's like Xbox 360, but didn't they charge companies for patches and updates, certification tests? T

Quite apart from a significantly better update system this gen, 343 are owned by MS. I suspect that wouldn't be an issue.

Top Bottom