• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

49b.gif

love midship in H2C, love BR starts in H2C.
Having them both feels so gud.

Tawpgun

I stopped taking notes after a while but here is my initial experience.

TEAM SLAYER PLAYLIST

Game 1
Team BR on warlord vs team br on citadel vs CE. Super fast search

Citadel gets voted in. Game is a bit laggy. Not game breaking but annoyingly noticeable.

Game 2
Two BR options again but lobby crashes in voting screen. Fast search THO Searching again

Game 3
Average search. 2 BR's again. Construct voted. Lobby crashes.

Game 4
Ts on midship vs BR on foundry. Ts midship wins. I throw a few dope sticks and quit. Starting with a plasma rifle is embarassing.

Game 5
2 ar start options. Tied between ar on high ground and halo Ce. high ground wins due to order. Quit.

HALO CE PLAYLIST
Game 6
Clique joins me. We do CE playlist and dong on some fools on prisoner.

TEAM DOUBLES
Game 7
We try doubles. Ar's on narrows. It's a frustrating experience. Being spawn fuxked and starting with an ar. Ouch.

Game 8
BR's on lockdown. We own, oter team quits. Solid game.

TEAM SLAYER
Game 9
Team BR ivory tower. Was a good game. Lost due to bad teammate but it was a good game.

Game 10
2 ar start options. Ts isolation voted in. Someone on enemy team quits, so I quit also to make it fair :) (also fuck ar starts)

Game 11
Ar starts on blackout. Bye.

Game 12
No BR starts. Bye

Game 13
BR Starts on ivory tower again. Dope game.

Game 14
Ar starts on guardian. Ready to quit but lobby crashes. Takin that as a win.

Game 15
Team BR on ghost town. Was a sick game. Went 28-8

Game 16
BR on epitaph.
Bad map. One teammate quit. Other teammates horrendous. Shame.

Game 17
Team BR on foundation. Sweet game. Donged hard.

Game 18
2 ar starts but CE wizard was voted #blessed
Teammate quit so it was 3v4. Basically me, another good dude, and a bk. we were always down by like 10-5 points. Bk teammate quits. Me and other dude go off. Come from behind 49-50 victory. Heart is pounding. H A L O

Game 19
Think I quit this one but team BR on bloodline was an option. Umm. Playlist management?

Game 20.
Team br on turf. Was an awesome close game but lost. Teammate had 1 kill wtf man.

Game 21
BR on blackout pretty good.

BTB
friend joined me.

Game 22
Headlong assault. Half enemy team doesn't load in until until like 1 min in. Then they quit a minute after. Weird.

Game 23
FKN awesome game of Timberland CTF. Lots of fun moments.

Game 24
H4 CTF on some Dlc map. We won. But meh.

Game 25/26
Big team slayer on last resort twice in a row. Not bad but meh.

Game 27
Assault on Valhalla. Assault is ar starts in h3.
Cmon man. Win anyway.

Emptied out poopsock, got a fresh one.

Didn't take any more notes after this but I had like 1-2 more good btb games. Then booties (RIP) invited me and my friend for some
H3. Had like 2-3 laggy games and maybe 2-3
Ar starts but it was good gsmes majority of the time. Karl joined us later and we donged with a full party it was awesome.

Played some btb afterward with Karl and my friend. Went alright. Karl was on enemy team once.

Maybe I was paying more attention maybe it was bad luck. But pretty sub par experience. I think mainly due to the TS playlist. Halo 3 playlists and BTB have been good to me.

CliQ

I wonder how many more updates until we get that explanation from Frankie.

Don't expect a satisfactory explanation. He'll probably say something like "a lot of complicated pieces that I don't know enough about and is well above my pay grade weren't working as intended."

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I stopped taking notes after a while but here is my initial experience.

I find the opposite, BTB for me is usually terrible, occasionally brilliant.

It wasn't until I started taking notes that I realised how really terrible the game is from a functional point of view, despite all the promises and patches so far.

As a "celebration" of the legacy of the series its pretty damming that 343 intentionally allowed this game to be released in this state and despite their "best" efforts, we are where we are.

After Halo 4 and this, it's almost impossible to have any trust or faith that they can competently deliver that "AAA" experience.

The fact that MS bundled this mess with the console a few months after release demonstrates nothing but contempt for their own players. Buy a new console and getting the MCC experience? How can the folks responsible feel anything but shame? The short term profit is not worth the long term resentment and disappointment.

-Ryn

Banned
IMO a simple reticle is always better. Making Something "futurery" is sort of counter intuitive. In real life you would want something straight forward.

At the time the water in Halo 3 was really cool, but now when I see it I can't help but notice it's more like jello than water.
I totes agree

I think the best way to go about making it "futurey" would be to add holo effects that are unobtrusive and minimal. Maybe a slight DoF blur around the very edge of the screen (though that'd actually be less "futurey" lol).

The water certainly wasn't perfect but I loved the physics and overall look. I want them back :(

Ghazi

Decided to play MCC again for the first time in a while, boot up CE for some co op, game looks like this:

qt7QwhN.png

8uxRs06.png

pWnejPT.png

Literally not even a functional product: Goes back to playing Alien: Isolation.

Tawpgun

I find the opposite, BTB for me is usually terrible, occasionally brilliant.

It wasn't until I started taking notes that I realised how really terrible the game is from a functional point of view, despite all the promises and patches so far.

As a "celebration" of the legacy of the series its pretty damming that 343 intentionally allowed this game to be released in this state and despite their "best" efforts, we are where we are.

After Halo 4 and this, it's almost impossible to have any trust or faith that they can competently deliver that "AAA" experience.

The fact that MS bundled this mess with the console a few months after release demonstrates nothing but contempt for their own players. Buy a new console and getting the MCC experience? How can the folks responsible feel anything but shame? The short term profit is not worth the long term resentment and disappointment.
I'll take more notes next time in BTB. Probs my fav mode in MCC

If 343 are to be believed they said they had no idea this would happen. Everything fell to shit once it went live. Doesn't explain those "#QuitTheBuild" MCC tourneys tho.

And to be fair, halo 4 launched fine sans File share. It was their design that was fucked. H5 beta was relatively smooth also aside from some slowish MM and the lack of a back out button lol. Ui issues too. But that was a beta. If we see that shit at launch than RIP

When we were rolling in a party it felt like #weback

I wonder how many more updates until we get that explanation from Frankie.

99% sure we'll never see it. 343 generally aren't allowed to focus on anything outside of the corporate PR 'Awesome!' message. A post mortem would only draw attention to failure and they can't have that. Much safer to persist in having half a bulletin as an advert for the latest merchandise tat, or in the case of the recent video bulletins, pretend the MCC doesn't exist, despite it being the current game from 343.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'll take more notes next time in BTB. Probs my fav mode in MCC

If 343 are to be believed they said they had no idea this would happen. Everything fell to shit once it went live. Doesn't explain those "#QuitTheBuild" MCC tourneys tho.

And to be fair, halo 4 launched fine sans File share. It was their design that was fucked. H5 beta was relatively smooth also aside from some slowish MM and the lack of a back out button lol. Ui issues too. But that was a beta. If we see that shit at launch than RIP

The Halo 4 design issue was bad enough to alienate the majority of the player base within a month, unfortunately. Not surprising considering some of the stories going around about inside the studio at the time.

Halo 5 beta was an outlier. I still don't know exactly how to sum up how exactly I feel about it. Didn't feel like Halo at all. But it was a good game.

I just can't blindly trust 343 as a developer right now. The books are still solid. The comic, meh. The game? I'll buy it to check out whatever silly thing they do to the chief. I'm worried I'll buy it and stop playing after a few weeks - that is the real definition of disappointment of a bad Halo game, and it's plagued their last two games.

So I just bought Spartan Strike on my iPad and beat the first section of missions... It's pretty cool.
Missions are quite varied so far, huge improvement over Spartan Assault, great pacing.
No microtransactions, so there is actual weapon variety.
Game is gorgeous on my iPad Air. I just started one of the jungle levels and it's very nice looking.

They got rid of Sarah Palmer too, which is great... Roland is still in but has a minor role...
I rolled my eyes at "Hold onto your HUDs, Spartans!"

So far I'm enjoying it, Spartan Assault felt like a grind, this seems enjoyable.

Havoc2049

I just bought Spartan Strike (Windows - Live version) the other day and completed the first set of missions. I'm really enjoying it as a side game in the Halo universe. My only complaint is that it's a tad on the easy side compared to Spartan Assault. In SA, you had to work for a Gold rating on many of the missions and you would get a nice sense of accomplishment with a Gold rating. In Spartan Strike, I've got gold on each mission I've played on the first try. Having your helmet linked into the Warthog and using the machine gun on the Hog without a gunner is cool.

Tawpgun

Ricochet at your level of play and high level of play would be 1 different things. 343 WANNA add ricochet in? Bring in the top whatever seeded teams in for a charity tourney
the Save MCC Foundation
or maybe a smaller prize pool like 5k 1k, maybe some other prizes. And test ricochet maps. See how they play with pro strats.

Ghazi

Ricochet at your level of play and high level of play would be 1 different things. 343 WANNA add ricochet in? Bring in the top whatever seeded teams in for a charity tourney
the Save MCC Foundation
or maybe a smaller prize pool like 5k 1k, maybe some other prizes. And test ricochet maps. See how they play with pro strats.

Not even patching the game would save MCC at this point, it's over. It had the potential to be a massively played game and they blew it.

Not even patching the game would save MCC at this point, it's over. It had the potential to be a massively played game and they blew it.

did they though? i bet it padded halo 5's budget, got them trial runs on HCS before halo 5, guinea pigged us on some new matchmaking stuff....

343 could be feeling pretty good about themselves. somehow.

Ghazi

did they though? i bet it padded halo 5's budget, got them trial runs on HCS before halo 5, guinea pigged us on some new matchmaking stuff....

343 could be feeling pretty good about themselves. somehow.

Obviously it turned out to be a good deal for them, I was referring to the experiences fans got. If it had launched working, population would be much, much higher than it is now.

I bought MCC when I heard it was fixed but I've been having a lot of problems.

Major lag 50% of my games in matchmaking
campaign crashing
glitches in the campaigns like crazy
weird audio and visual bugs like the plasma rifle shooting from the top of the screen instead of the gun
my aim randomly jumping around without my doing anything

I don't know if I can deal with much more

Got a few more games of BTB in. Thoughts:

-Objective > Slayer. Always and forever.

-AR starts on big maps can die in a fire.

-Zanzibar has not aged well. Hell, H2C as a whole is doing pretty poorly.

-1 bomb assault > 2 bomb assault

-MM times could still use improvements, but my games were pretty stable, barring one that just straight up failed to load.

-H3 is good on small (I mean, smaller, it's still BTB) maps, not so much big ones. AR starts on Valhalla are arghhhhhh, especially with that legendary move speed.

Tawpgun

SWAT is the worst. One of the most non-halo gametypes and its one of the most popular. I can dig it once in a while but I have friends that literally played Halo for SWAT and SWAT only. I mention "let's go into Team Slayer for a bit" and they're like "Fuck that it takes too long to kill its no fun"

It's probably Frankie's fault, Get off the eliptical or whatever and come dong on some real halo

Fuchsdh

2:3 from the looks of it

However that's only if a game 5 is forced.

Slayer sucks to watch.

I think it works better from a perspective of Halo, as it's easier to tell what's going on versus a 0-0 objective game. But definitely from a playing standpoint and strategy it's far more fulfilling.

I was enjoying Walshy's commentary on these games; I guess he's the type of caster I prefer in what details he talks about.

It feels like just like eSports as a whole, a lot of your enjoyment from it is personality-driven.

Seeing Runescape that high on the list always amuses me; to me, it's still the silly timewaster and my friends used to play when we were avoiding doing work in computer lab way the hell back in elementary school. Clearly, it's had something of a renaissance, but still.

jem0208

I think it works better from a perspective of Halo, as it's easier to tell what's going on versus a 0-0 objective game. But definitely from a playing standpoint and strategy it's far more fulfilling.

I was enjoying Walshy's commentary on these games; I guess he's the type of caster I prefer in what details he talks about.

It feels like just like eSports as a whole, a lot of your enjoyment from it is personality-driven.
The problem I have with Slayer is that it only gets interesting to watch with very close games at the very end.

Up until the very end it's just stand offs and BR team shooting. Something occasionally interesting happens like a cool snipe. However that happens in objective games modes as well.

SWAT is the worst. One of the most non-halo gametypes and its one of the most popular. I can dig it once in a while but I have friends that literally played Halo for SWAT and SWAT only. I mention "let's go into Team Slayer for a bit" and they're like "Fuck that it takes too long to kill its no fun"

It's probably Frankie's fault, Get off the eliptical or whatever and come dong on some real halo
SWAT is brilliant and it definitely isn't non-Halo. It's just as Halo as Zombies or Griffball or Team Slayer or CTF.

Halo is different things to different people.

CyReN

The G O A T

goaty_zpstxuex20q.png

HCS staff did a pretty awful job building any hype for the event leading in, granted some were on vacation. You can't just spam a stream and expect success. Coupled with the state MCC been in since release it's just a perfect storm of shit.

and this

1d3e3b7147f58e0c09d0d42ce40fef46.png

IHaveIce

Banned
HCS staff did a pretty awful job building any hype for the event leading in, granted some were on vacation. You can't just spam a stream and expect success. Coupled with the state MCC been in since release it's just a perfect storm of shit.

and this

1d3e3b7147f58e0c09d0d42ce40fef46.png

They are right though.

Top Bottom