• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

tootsi666

HCS staff did a pretty awful job building any hype for the event leading in, granted some were on vacation. You can't just spam a stream and expect success. Coupled with the state MCC been in since release it's just a perfect storm of shit.

and this

1d3e3b7147f58e0c09d0d42ce40fef46.png
That's some great PR

Tawpgun

The problem I have with Slayer is that it only gets interesting to watch with very close games at the very end.

Up until the very end it's just stand offs and BR team shooting. Something occasionally interesting happens like a cool snipe. However that happens in objective games modes as well.

SWAT is brilliant and it definitely isn't non-Halo. It's just as Halo as Zombies or Griffball or Team Slayer or CTF.

Halo is different things to different people.

Zombies and Grifball aren't Halo. They are games derived from Halo. Sharing the engine and weapons. But they don't have the halo combat loop. The weapons to control.

I love Zombies and I loved (Halo 3) Grifball but they are fun distractions. Not Halo. What I hate about SWAT is how popular it is. It becomes so popular that people play Halo to play SWAT instead of playing the regular playlists.

Mostly I'm just salty at some idiot friends who refused to play shit with shields because the combat was "long and boring"

I am planning to stop my work on Gaflo so I can focus on my main project leading up to its reveal. Monkey is still on it and I'm also in the process of getting another person on it.

3-0, Cloud 9 destroying Denial in Assault. The game is continuing for no good reason other than to reach 5 arms or the time limit.

Endurance matches are a snoozefest, especially when the kill times are long and the movement so slow. Really hoping Halo 5 picks up the pace of objective gametypes.

EDIT: Would love to see what these players could do with CE gameplay on maps suited for 4v4's.

Tawpgun

Remember the awesome moments Halo can give us? Pls play MCC again with me tyia

I miss how Halo 3 rockets took SOME skill and were dodgeable http://i.imgur.com/b7vopLW.gifv

Dirty no scopes
http://i.imgur.com/EJajPPq.gifv

Abusing Halo 3 abysmal FOV to disorient a shotgun camper
http://i.imgur.com/vz3Qz1l.gifv

Halo CE can make you feel like a one man army. It's also really easy to time hog grenades.
http://i.imgur.com/Bg4cLyA.gifv

Awesome killtac with an amazing stick in it.
http://i.imgur.com/29PGqnI.gifv

I miss the Halo 2 map mechanics that led to interesting shenanigans
http://i.imgur.com/E6KHPWF.gifv

singhr1

Seeing Runescape that high on the list always amuses me; to me, it's still the silly timewaster and my friends used to play when we were avoiding doing work in computer lab way the hell back in elementary school. Clearly, it's had something of a renaissance, but still.

My bro recently got into it in his year off between undergrad and med school. Hes addicted nearly all hours of the day somehow.

Runescape has been really pushing Twitch in the past year, they even made direct integration within the client so its really easy to start streaming.

dat new huntthetruth doe, GG 343 these are amazing

Early release? Yessssss

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Goat Simulator > Halo

Goat Simulator actually works.

HCS staff did a pretty awful job building any hype for the event leading in, granted some were on vacation. You can't just spam a stream and expect success. Coupled with the state MCC been in since release it's just a perfect storm of shit.

and this

1d3e3b7147f58e0c09d0d42ce40fef46.png

I don't see how any self-respecting Halo pro can even enjoy this game. They must have thick skin to look past all the faults of MCC. H2A has god awful sounds missing, shots missing, rounds being taken away from your ammo counter...the list never ends. I guess if you're winning money, you can look past the bs.

Personally, I can't...it's like Gears of War 1's random slot machine shotgun all over again. And the Halo 3 BR spread/bullet refunding.

Madness

I'm worried about Halo 5. I think it'll be received favorably among fans as a much better game than Halo 4, but outside of existing fans, I don't know anyone who knows anything about the game or even follows it. Compare the hype Battlefront is getting, and I'm worried about the longevity of Halo 5. It's one thing with Black Ops 3 coming which will take a lot of players, but another if Battlefront continues with the hype generation. Even my younger cousins were asking me if I was going to buy it, and that they're excited and yet they aren't even Star Wars fans.

Even I'm not interested enough in H5 to listen to the podcast audio stuff. I thought the trailers were great, but that's about it.

Halo could use more spin-off titles to get people who aren't interested in FPS's or even just Halo shooters (people who like FPS's but don't understand why many love Halo) to be interested in the franchise. Maybe they'll grow an appreciation for Halo and play the mainline games as a result.

I don't really play RTS games, but I played Halo Wars because of Halo and ended up loving its gameplay. The reverse can be true, but Halo Wars was the only spin-off we've received on a console in an age without accessible streaming.

Halo Custom Games should be more evolved too, allowing for more creative gametypes. Halo's strength has always been in its sandbox, so if they gave the community the tools to create some interesting things and to share them/find people to play with easily, Halo could be exponentially more popular than what it is today.

Halo could use more spin-off titles to get people who aren't interested in FPS's or even just Halo shooters (people who like FPS's but don't understand why many love Halo) to be interested in the franchise. Maybe they'll grow an appreciation for Halo and play the mainline games as a result.

I don't really play RTS games, but I played Halo Wars because of Halo and ended up loving its gameplay. The reverse can be true, but Halo Wars was the only spin-off we've received on a console in an age without accessible streaming.

Halo Custom Games should be more evolved too, allowing for more creative gametypes. Halo's strength has always been in its sandbox, so if they gave the community the tools to create some interesting things and to share them/find people to play with easily, Halo could be exponentially more popular than what it is today.

I suspect that the rumored strategy game MS has in the oven is another Halo Wars.

And yeah, there's definitely some merit to that line of thought. Get people invested in the franchise and then they buy the main games. I think that's what MS was working on with the Halo TV show, ultimately, but that seems to be in development hell atm.

We'll see how, if Spartan Strike ends up working out like that; it seems much better received than Assault.

Halo MOBA
I'd totally play that

Didact is OP, pls nerf.

Halo Wars 2 that is an RTS, but when controlling leader units like the Arbiter it'll feel like Smite with a similar camera angle. Maybe even just separate the factions and leaders into separate groups.

For example, 3v3's would be 2 players per team controlling units like they would in Halo Wars, so UNSC or Covenant or Flood or Prometheans/Forerunner, with the 3rd player controlling a single leader unit that controls like Smite. Could have a 1v1 playlist for RTS vs RTS and a separate playlist for leader vs leader. So it would look something like this:
4v4 (3v3 RTS + 1 leader unit per team)
3v3 (2v2 RTS + 1 leader unit per team)
2v2 (1v1 RTS + 1 leader unit per team)
1v1 (1v1 RTS or 1v1 leaders)​
Could be interesting if this concept is evolved further. Could have AI for leader units, playlists restricting leaders so just straight up 3v3 RTS, or just about anything lol

And for the love of baby jesus let us go into the 3v3 playlist as a party of 2 and match against similar parties like how Halo matchmaking works.

Halo Wars 2 that is an RTS, but when controlling leader units like the Arbiter it'll feel like Smite with a similar camera angle. Maybe even just separate the factions and leaders into separate groups.

For example, 3v3's would be 2 players per team controlling units like they would in Halo Wars, so UNSC or Covenant or Flood or Prometheans/Forerunner, with the 3rd player controlling a single leader unit that controls like Smite. Could have a 1v1 playlist for RTS vs RTS and a separate playlist for leader vs leader. So it would look something like this:
4v4 (3v3 RTS + 1 leader unit per team)
3v3 (2v2 RTS + 1 leader unit per team)
2v2 (1v1 RTS + 1 leader unit per team)
1v1 (1v1 RTS or 1v1 leaders)​
Could be interesting if this concept is evolved further. Could have AI for leader units, playlists restricting leaders so just straight up 3v3 RTS, or just about anything lol

Ironclad Games (Sins of a Solar Empire, which has a fantastic Halo total conversion mod btw) tried something like that, albeit in reverse (4 players controlling hero units, one guy playing an RTS), but apparently the pieces just don't play well together.

Ramirez

I'm worried about Halo 5. I think it'll be received favorably among fans as a much better game than Halo 4, but outside of existing fans, I don't know anyone who knows anything about the game or even follows it. Compare the hype Battlefront is getting, and I'm worried about the longevity of Halo 5. It's one thing with Black Ops 3 coming which will take a lot of players, but another if Battlefront continues with the hype generation. Even my younger cousins were asking me if I was going to buy it, and that they're excited and yet they aren't even Star Wars fans.

Even I'm not interested enough in H5 to listen to the podcast audio stuff. I thought the trailers were great, but that's about it.

You worry too much. Halo is never going to be the top game again, just accept it, and play with the community that will be there.

singhr1

The excitement for Star Wars is entirely different than Halo. Star Wars is a 30+ year old franchise that is having a resurrection of sorts. It has three generation of fans to grab. Along with the movie, it's a perfect storm of excitement. The interest right now is mainly just the graphics, however. If DICE doesn't deliver comparable IQ, people are going to be pissed.

H5 is coming off the heels of a storm of imperfection. H4, for all its merits, did not have long legs and MCC hurt the community even more when it was originally intended to re-spark the community. Where Star Wars is riding a wave of excitement, H5 is riding a wave of cautious optimism. I think based on what we see at E3 and the following months will be better. People really liked the beta which was just a small slice of the package. I doubt we will ever reach H3 levels of interest but it is still a major franchise.

Tunavi

Banned
so they just announced the ODST of star wars with Rebel one. takes place between 3 and 4, about stealing the death star plans. No jedi. Hell yeah.

The thing is, the marketing thus far has been mostly directed at existing fans; nobody new to the franchise, or just casually interested, is going to find the audio dramas (which you should really listen to btw, they're pretty great) all that captivating. The trailer got some attention for sheer controversy points, but it's still focused at the hardcore, the people really attached to the Chief. The machine's not really going to kick into gear until E3.

In comparison, Star Wars just had a major franchise-specific event. Naturally there's going to be more buzz about it.

CliQ

I'll watch a Halo tournament when they switch to a big team format with vehicles. All this 4v4 small map spawn trap garbage is really boring to watch, like really boring.

Ghazi

I'll watch a Halo tournament when they switch to a big team format with vehicles. All this 4v4 small map spawn trap garbage is really boring to watch, like really boring.

Wha? As fun as BTB can be, small arena Halo is the funnest to watch. H2A is just a really boring game is all.

I'd tune in for BTB OBJ tournies. Slayer is a snoozefest for me. Glad to see OBJ in HCS more and more though.

CliQ

Wha? As fun as BTB can be, small arena Halo is the funnest to watch. H2A is just a really boring game is all.

Small arena Halo is the most boring of all to watch. Maybe it's just me but I would rather see an amazing play that includes vehicles then some flag juggling non sense.

no way BTB could be in tournaments. that requires larger teams, which will never happen. plus, how would you cast properly with double the player count for each side? it's already a balancing act with 4v4, making sure you're on the right screen at the right time when something happens.

Top Bottom