• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

CliQ

no way BTB could be in tournaments. that requires larger teams, which will never happen. plus, how would you cast properly with double the player count for each side? it's already a balancing act with 4v4, making sure you're on the right screen at the right time when something happens.

Well how about they invest in making Halo a real esport then and add features to follow the game better. Larger teams wouldn't be a problem at all to broadcast. You can take overviews of the battle and watch it like a soccer game then go in close when you see a play happening. I'm not the one to figure it out it's just my opinion on what type of Halo I would like to see in tournaments.

Well how about they invest in making Halo a real esport then and add features to follow the game better. Larger teams wouldn't be a problem at all to broadcast. You can take overviews of the battle and watch it like a soccer game then go in close when you see a play happening. I'm not the one to figure it out it's just my opinion on what type of Halo I would like to see in tournaments.

343 is currently struggling with things like the Options menu. Built in esports features are a looooooooooooooooong way off.

HTupolev

I can't see Halo's universe working in a MOBA setting at all.
Innies vs
Outies

Heroes:
Master Chief
Mister Chief
Mister Chef
Master Chef
Dustin Echoes
Oscar Mike
Thirsty Grunt
Hamish Beamish

Ship it.

Before I edited this post I had Mister Chef and Master Chef switched, but my Gray Code sensibilities were pissed off.

I can't see Halo's universe working in a MOBA setting at all.
RTS Units:
UNSC
Covenant
Flood
Forerunner​

Hero Units:
UNSC:
Master Chief
Palmer​
Covenant:
Arbiter
Prophet
Chieftain​
Flood:
Flood spore that mutates as you progress​
Forerunner:
Didact
Librarian​

This would just evolve the concept of leader units that Halo Wars was already about, but instead of having to control both your large army and individual leader, that could be delegated to an actual player. Can just do regular matches in good ol' Halo Wars fashion or you can have an extra player solely controlling the leader units.

Fuchsdh

RTS Units:
UNSC
Covenant
Flood
Forerunner​

Hero Units:
UNSC:
Master Chief
Anders
Cutter
Palmer​
Covenant:
Arbiter
Prophet
Chieftain​
Flood:
Flood spore that mutates as you progress​
Forerunner:
Didact
Librarian​

This would just evolve the concept of leader units that Halo Wars was already about, but instead of having to control both your large army and individual leader, that could be delegated to an actual player. Can just do regular matches in good ol' Halo Wars fashion or you can have an extra player solely controlling the leader units.

Yeah, but the hero units thing was a bit stretched in Halo Wars as it is—the human commanders wouldn't have made sense as actual units, for instance. MOBAs in general are also toxic cesspools above and beyond XBL so it's not exactly a world I think anyone should be keen on entering, especially since there's not really any niche for a Halo MOBA to exploit.

It will be interesting to see how Smite works on console, because otherwise I'd say it's best left to the PC.

You're right about the human units Fuchs, forgot about that. Removed Cutter/Anders from that list.

But damn, just looking at that really excites me for a Halo Wars 2! Hopefully The Flood and Forerunners are added to the mix.

sMG starts why
banghead.gif

CE spawns are infuriating, so garbage.

MOBAs in general are also toxic cesspools above and beyond XBL so it's not exactly a world I think anyone should be keen on entering, especially since there's not really any niche for a Halo MOBA to exploit.
I respectfully disagree on the former while completely agreeing on the latter.

maximrace

I'm worried about Halo 5. I think it'll be received favorably among fans as a much better game than Halo 4, but outside of existing fans, I don't know anyone who knows anything about the game or even follows it. Compare the hype Battlefront is getting, and I'm worried about the longevity of Halo 5. It's one thing with Black Ops 3 coming which will take a lot of players, but another if Battlefront continues with the hype generation. Even my younger cousins were asking me if I was going to buy it, and that they're excited and yet they aren't even Star Wars fans.

Even I'm not interested enough in H5 to listen to the podcast audio stuff. I thought the trailers were great, but that's about it.

I don't see why should be worried, if the game is great it still is going to sell a crazy amount. Locke and MCC trailers have been over 10m views allready. That's bigger than all the other trailers

I don't think Halo has the same pull anymore, and that's down to a few things - PS4 being immensely successful, CoD, Battlefield, Destiny et al taking a huge part of the 'mindshare' of gamers (which is always, speaking in terms of mass-market, worryingly and stupidly narrow, but heyho...), MCC being a wee bit broken (!), esports branching out from shooters (MOBAs etc) - but that doesn't mean a Halo game can't or won't be a successful game in its own right, and I really want to play H5. Battlefront is getting huge attention due to: a) a reveal, b) multiplatform, c) #StarWarsisBackHanSoloCryingNerds, d) dare I say it, rose-tinted goggles for a series I always dumped asap for Halo 2? :)

Also, Halo MOBA NO. Too many MOBAs. Just play SMITE (all I'm playing on X1 atm) and Dota, all you need.

I don't see why should be worried, if the game is great it still is going to sell a crazy amount. Locke and MCC trailers have been over 10m views allready. That's bigger than all the other trailers

But sales wont help if 80% of the population is moving on.

My bet is Nov 3rd release for CoD. That is one week for Halo 5...
And then StarWars....

IMO this Halo 5 release doesnt feel like a proper hyped Halo release to me. It feels like just another AAA title for this fall :/ Man i remember how excited i was for halo 2 and halo 3's release.
I really cant get excited anymore for Halo. And it was my number one reason to switch from Playstation to Xbox.

I sold my PS4 last year. But im thinking about getting one again this year. I hate always getting the D in terms of game performance in thie multiplatform games. I will make a decision after E3. Im really not happy anymore with Xbox in general.

...and sometimes people change. Halo 2 and 3 were 11 and 8 years ago. That's a long time in games. A long, long time. I am really excited for Halo 5 because I loved the beta, and tbh I don't give a fig if only a few thousand other people keep with it, as long as I get to play. It doesn't have to make sense: Titanfall has been superbly handled, is a terrifically fun game (in a very different way to Halo), and has a horribly small population.

Yet, I never have trouble getting a game. Call me selfish, but that's all I care about.

...and sometimes people change. Halo 2 and 3 were 11 and 8 years ago. That's a long time in games. A long, long time. I am really excited for Halo 5 because I loved the beta, and tbh I don't give a fig if only a few thousand other people keep with it, as long as I get to play. It doesn't have to make sense: Titanfall has been superbly handled, is a terrifically fun game (in a very different way to Halo), and has a horribly small population.

Yet, I never have trouble getting a game. Call me selfish, but that's all I care about.

Nobody said that you wont find a game with a shitty population... but a healthy population simply matters.
Its not if you can get games, its the quality of this games.

Ive played 10 or 12 rounds MCC yesterday with 3 other friends. And holy shit was that a snooze fest. Most matches ended because the entire enemy team left after a 10 kills lead.

A working skill match system and a healthy population is important.

And that Halo 5 beta? meh... was ok.. but still felt like something different. Yes it was better than Halo 4 (not that hard lol) but there is still more to be announced about halo 5 MP. And i dont think that everything shitty from H4 is gone.
They carefully only talk about the ARENA MP part... there is still more. And i think a lot of people will be pissed again.

Titanfall gives good games with a small pop. Of course I'd rather H5 was big and healthy, all I'm saying is expecting it to be the same as H2 is both ignoring the time we're in, and the way we, who've been in the Halo game for 10+ years, work.

And yes, we can say H5 non-arena will be a shit-fest of perks and stuff. Or we can wait and see.

Titanfall gives good games with a small pop. Of course I'd rather H5 was big and healthy, all I'm saying is expecting it to be the same as H2 is both ignoring the time we're in, and the way we, who've been in the Halo game for 10+ years, work.

And yes, we can say H5 non-arena will be a shit-fest of perks and stuff. Or we can wait and see.

The time we are in doesnt matter. A game like BF4 has a higher population than MCC...

If the quality of a game sucks and if there is nothing exciting to play for then people will move on. This happened to Halo Reach, Halo 4 and MCC.
A patch, 6 months later that is trying to add Ranks wont help anymore.

If the game is exciting to play and WORKS from the get go, people will stay. It really doesnt matter what year we have.

The year itself doesn't matter, no, but that's semantic. What I mean is other games, and platforms, have changed, as I said above -- and yes, MCC's issues don't help. For what it's worth, I'm not sure ranks are going to affect much - we're talking about the mass market here, whereas ranks are surely for the more competitive people, a much smaller population who are more likely to stick around/drop a game instantly, contingent on very particular qualities and failings present in a title.

-Ryn

Banned
Ay wen we gon get Halo: Legends Volume 2?
Soon

Small arena Halo is the most boring of all to watch. Maybe it's just me but I would rather see an amazing play that includes vehicles then some flag juggling non sense.
It's not just you

If the quality of a game sucks and if there is nothing exciting to play for then people will move on. This happened to Halo Reach, Halo 4 and MCC.
Halo Reach actually held a healthy population for quite awhile.

Once E3 comes around I don't doubt the Hype train will be heading off for Fun Street Station. If the game works from Day 1 the good times will probably be goin on and on.

Beli343 me I'm an expert.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo will never be the Top game again it one was even if was a True successor to the old Games People habe to live with that.

People not only move on on Games because the are bad but because there is another big game coming out.
Not all devote their time into one game and look for one game for the next year.

RowdyReverb

I just had a dream last night about a new Halo game type. It's called "Tug of War" and it's a King of the Hill game type with the hill being on a train-like vehicle in an alley that moves towards a team's side if they control the hill. On each side of the alley there are Boarding Action style structures (minus the teleporters) with plenty of cover and scoped weapons to facilitate guerrilla tactics. Teams would spawn on opposite sides of the alley and could either rush onto the train or assault it from above. The train itself has a turret on it, much like the Elephants in H3. Best part was that the whole thing was ODST themed, so it was dark, rainy, and the sniper rifles had an IR-like night vision.

I can't believe I had a dream about Halo, but there it is.

willow ve

I just had a dream last night about a new Halo game type. It's called "Tug of War" and it's a King of the Hill game type with the hill being on a train-like vehicle in an alley that moves towards a team's side if they control the hill. On each side of the alley there are Boarding Action style structures (minus the teleporters) with plenty of cover and scoped weapons to facilitate guerrilla tactics. Teams would spawn on opposite sides of the alley and could either rush onto the train or assault it from above. The train itself has a turret on it, much like the Elephants in H3. Best part was that the whole thing was ODST themed, so it was dark, rainy, and the sniper rifles had an IR-like night vision.

I can't believe I had a dream about Halo, but there it is.

I think it's more telling that you had a dream about Halo and then felt compelled to tell us here on HaloGAF.

Madness

gqfDK2D.jpg

RIP Canadian gaming day one purchases. Now I know my British and Aussie brothers feel. Though it'll literally take maybe 15 minutes to cross into US and buy it for roughly $6 cheaper $79.99 CAD exchanges to like $66 USD before taxes.

I feel like I'm back in the N64 era where games routinely were more than $90 bucks.

Halo Endless Runner
iOS/Android

I would play that. Especially if it starred Kelly.

If I had an iWhatever or Android thingy.

Point and laugh at Ryn, everybody!

gqfDK2D.jpg

RIP Canadian gaming day one purchases. Now I know my British and Aussie brothers feel. Though it'll literally take maybe 15 minutes to cross into US and buy it for roughly $6 cheaper $79.99 CAD exchanges to like $66 USD before taxes.

I feel like I'm back in the N64 era where games routinely were more than $90 bucks.

Well, you knew what you were getting into, living in Canada. All that free healthcare and donut huts and incredible politeness needed to have a downside somewhere.

m23

gqfDK2D.jpg

Guess I won't be getting that many games this fall. Might skip Battlefront if it doesn't grab my attention when we finally see gameplay. Might just be a Forza and Halo season for me.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The time we are in doesnt matter. A game like BF4 has a higher population than MCC...

If the game is exciting to play and WORKS from the get go, people will stay. It really doesnt matter what year we have.

The general masses of gamers, I'll call them the mainstream gamers, they have moved on from the Halo franchise, probably for good. Halo 5 will probably be purchased by them because they're going to want to try/play the latest Halo, but this fall/winter, there are going to be too many shooters to choose from. Halo used to be the heavyweight contender, now it's a featherweight.

I have a passion for Halo, and once in a while, I really get the urge to fire up Halo CE because I want that Halo fix...but after one or two attempts, I just turn it off and go hop on my PC or play something else on the Xbox. The people who stick around MCC have managed to ignore the issues...they're the true diehards.

You make a good point, if the game is exciting to play and works from day one...people will stay...but if 343 is launching a game and saying..."stay with us for at least six months till we fix this game"...people are gonna laugh and say goodbye.

Star Wars has great branding behind it...it puts Halo to shame...but DICE is developing it...and if that game doesn't work day one...then we've got Battlefield 3 and 4 all over again. Battlefield 4's launch was a mess...not as bad as MCC, but it was still a mess and took in my opinion, six+ months to get it fixed.

Furthermore, specifically console gamers, they want to pop a game in, party up with friends, find matches, play competitively ranked with their own friends on their own team...that's Xbox Live gaming right there...and when a game doesn't allow for that to happen fluidly, kiss any potential community goodbye.

The general masses of gamers, I'll call them the mainstream gamers, they have moved on from the Halo franchise, probably for good. Halo 5 will probably be purchased by them because they're going to want to try/play the latest Halo, but this fall/winter, there are going to be too many shooters to choose from. Halo used to be the heavyweight contender, now it's a featherweight.

I have a passion for Halo, and once in a while, I really get the urge to fire up Halo CE because I want that Halo fix...but after one or two attempts, I just turn it off and go hop on my PC or play something else on the Xbox. The people who stick around MCC have managed to ignore the issues...they're the true diehards.

You make a good point, if the game is exciting to play and works from day one...people will stay...but if 343 is launching a game and saying..."stay with us for at least six months till we fix this game"...people are gonna laugh and say goodbye.

Star Wars has great branding behind it...it puts Halo to shame...but DICE is developing it...and if that game doesn't work day one...then we've got Battlefield 3 and 4 all over again. Battlefield 4's launch was a mess...not as bad as MCC, but it was still a mess and took in my opinion, six+ months to get it fixed.

Furthermore, specifically console gamers, they want to pop a game in, party up with friends, find matches, play competitively ranked with their own friends on their own team...that's Xbox Live gaming right there...and when a game doesn't allow for that to happen fluidly, kiss any potential community goodbye.

Yup, fully agree with this^^

Impala26

Well, you knew what you were getting into, living in Canada. All that free healthcare and donut huts and incredible politeness needed to have a downside somewhere.

Cheap meds, Tim Hortons, low crime and actual quality maple syrup have to have SOME external cost... lol

Agree and disagree. Halo walks a precarious line because out of all the biggest action/FPS games it's a console-exclusive while virtually all of the rest are multi-plats. Killzone and Metal Gear for Sony and Bayonetta for Nintendo are the only similar genre games that have anywhere close to the brand recognition that Halo has.

Halo will always be well-received, but I don't think it will ever reach the Juggernaut status it once had in the Halo 2/3 era.

I'm still an Odyssey fan myself.

Akai__

Sounds like H4 customization:

HUNTER-Class Armor: Sophisticated and lethal, HUNTER-class armor incorporates Watershed Division's latest warfighting technology.

HUNTER-Class Helmet: Though still considered a prototype implementation, the HUNTER's sensor suite enhances situational and threat awareness.

If these are MP abilities (like a better radar) and they are tied to a pre-order... lmao

It's only April and we're already getting pre order commercials.

It was only December and we got the mystery Legendary Edition Box up for pre-order. I'm not surprised in the slightest. This is MS' hype machine rolling out.

daedalius

Sounds like H4 customization:

If these are MP abilities (like a better radar) and they are tied to a pre-order... lmao

It was only December and we got the mystery Legendary Edition Box up for pre-order. I'm not surprised in the slightest. This is MS' hype machine rolling out.

They had descriptions like this for the H4 armor too.

I imagine its just cosmetic. Its ok to still have a cool description.

IHaveIce

Banned
this fucking piece of shit game.

H2A is so dumb with its grenades.. I mean how did the experts on 343 get the idea just let us straight port H2 maps but hey lets increase the grenades by a huge margin. because why not.
Shit spawns on almost all remade maps.

Shitty map selection, whoever voted on Ascension/Zenith should get his head checked.

And if the ranking system isn#t even working in the playlist where it is only implemented at the moment I don't want to know how next week will be.

Silly rant at this time I know but I just wanted to kill some time playing Halo and it really isn't even worth the time anymore.

this fucking piece of shit game.

H2A is so dumb with its grenades.. I mean how did the experts on 343 get the idea just let us straight port H2 maps but hey lets increase the grenades by a huge margin. because why not.
Shit spawns on almost all remade maps.

Shitty map selection, whoever voted on Ascension/Zenith should get his head checked.

And if the ranking system isn#t even working in the playlist where it is only implemented at the moment I don't want to know how next week will be.

Silly rant at this time I know but I just wanted to kill some time playing Halo and it really isn't even worth the time anymore.

Yeah, the nades in H2A are a bit much. Rifle fights don't even matter really, just comes down to who spams the most nades.

Top Bottom