• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Some people on the gaming side think that this new teaser is InEngine lol

There are threads in Waypoint where people are actually debating gameplay of Battlefront to Halo 5...ugh...just because their both sci-fi doesn't even begin to clump them together into a discussion of the pros/cons of each game.

Very odd if you ask me.

Some people really will find anything to complain about.

Apparently, the sound in the trailer is "symptomatic of the overall degradation of Halo's identity"

I mean wtf are you talking about.

The overall feel of Halo 5 to me was a bit nutty. The gentle jasmine undertones coupled with the spice of musk...left a stale aftertaste in my mouth. I was most unpleasant when doing what they call...aiming down the sights? Anyway, I quiver at the thought of this game actually being good.

;)

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Just watched the preorder trailer...I knew the Spartan abilities were tied to the single player campaign.

Why do people not understand that multiplayer in Halo has always been tied to the single player campaign? When the first gameplay of Halo 5 was released explaining all the different abilities...people complained and complained...do they not realize that's all from single player? I mean for gosh sakes...they're not going to make all those abilities in single player and then completely remove them from multiplayer...it would just confuse people.

It all makes sense now, well...always has to me.

Ramirez

Just watched the preorder trailer...I knew the Spartan abilities were tied to the single player campaign.

Why do people not understand that multiplayer in Halo has always been tied to the single player campaign? When the first gameplay of Halo 5 was released explaining all the different abilities...people complained and complained...do they not realize that's all from single player? I mean for gosh sakes...they're not going to make all those abilities in single player and then completely remove them from multiplayer...it would just confuse people.

It all makes sense now, well...always has to me.

None of this stuff is ever important in single player.

Were you born in a year starting with 1?

This is bugging me too. I think saying pre-rendered instead might help some of the confusion.
The debate is pre-rendered vs. real time and not live action vs. CGI, I assume? Either could be in-engine, so that's not really descriptive either.

It's pre-rendered in-game assets, much in the same way that Halo 4's cutscenes were done. What's so confusing about this? Lol.

Mdot

A legit against-the-odds boss fight between Chief and Locke would be awesome. Him running around like a nut in that trailer could make for a fun encounter (mid-way through the game, with them teaming up at some point, is my prediction).

That vision thing though: hopefully campaign only if gameplay driven.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What button would the vision thing even go on, though? One of the d-pad buttons?

HTupolev

I'd like to see some sort of illumination back. Flashlights were sort of a cool thing because the AI could notice that.

Hopefully 343i has gotten around to implementing things into their engine that had previously been supported since Halo 1, like spotlights. It's going to be ridiculous if we get an eighth-gen Halo game without proper headlights and such, game world needs to look alive.

Impala26

Dat Reach nightvision.

I'd be totally fine with some crazy visor modes in campaign. There are some cool ones in Metroid Prime.

YESSSSSSSS
I mean hell, Locke pretty much has the Metroid Scan Visor as seen in Nightfall.

Though Pro-Vis was basically a thermal/x-ray hybrid and we all know how well THAT particular piece of equipment was received...

daedalius

YESSSSSSSS
I mean hell, Locke pretty much has the Metroid Scan Visor as seen in Nightfall.

Though Pro-Vis was basically a thermal/x-ray hybrid and we all know how well THAT particular piece of equipment was received...

I've been going through all the Primes, so I'm currently in love with everything they did in those games.

Also we need to do the Crota raid at some point, I hit 29 so I think I would be ok there.

singhr1

It's pre-rendered in-game assets, much in the same way that Halo 4's cutscenes were done. What's so confusing about this? Lol.

The Halo 4 cutscenes that were the prequel and epilogue or the ones between missions? The ones between missions were NOT pre-rendered, those were rendered live just like every other halo game's cutscenes outside of h2a. GameCheat demonstrated this in a video

This is definitely pure CGI based on in-game models but not using any game assets.

Ramirez

You really think that? I'd disagree...that's what makes or breaks the immersion factor for mainstream gamers.

I'm saying Halo has failed at a campaign level implementing these new ideas in action. The AA's and such were never an integral part of the gameplay. I'm just really tired of straight forward shooting in FPS campaigns at this point.

Tawpgun

Shit I did hard mode with 29's before. It's cool.

I'm saying Halo has failed at a campaign level implementing these new ideas in action. The AA's and such were never an integral part of the gameplay. I'm just really tired of straight forward shooting in FPS campaigns at this point.
That one bull frogs moment in reach utilized the jetpacks but basically just to put a dumb platformer section in there. Camo was ok in that night level.

But yeah AA's were really arbitrary in campaign

TTUVAPOR

Banned

I was more thinking along the lines of the people who kept questioning spring, etc. It all ties back to single player.

The smart scope probably has a role that is explained in single player. All of these "new" additions to the actual movement system in Halo are all integral to the single player campaign.

Now whether they belong in multiplayer or not...that's an entirely different story.

EDIT: Further thinking about it, Halo has always wanted (at least this is what I think) a smooth transition from single player to multiplayer...where nothing feels foreign.

Hell, look at Call of Duty Advanced Warfare...all the stuff you do in multiplayer has a distinctive intentional role tied into the story of CODAW.

HTupolev

Halo 4's cutscenes aren't prerendered, except for the CGI sequences at the start and end of the game, and the funky composer visuals part of the big cutscene in Requiem.

It's pretty evident from the image quality; at the very least, devs usually supersample their pre-rendered in-engine stuff.

Tawpgun

Man, you should've been there when my buddy (SAPSNAKE) rode with Homeboyd & Crew last week. Dem speedrun strats.

Ryn, I'm blaming you if this is the next OT title.

Classic Homeboyd

Nah Crotas end is fairly easy If you know the strats. Have a gjallahorn or any homing rocket and its ez mode for the final fight

Ramirez

I was more thinking along the lines of the people who kept questioning spring, etc. It all ties back to single player.

The smart scope probably has a role that is explained in single player. All of these "new" additions to the actual movement system in Halo are all integral to the single player campaign.

Now whether they belong in multiplayer or not...that's an entirely different story.

EDIT: Further thinking about it, Halo has always wanted (at least this is what I think) a smooth transition from single player to multiplayer...where nothing feels foreign.

Hell, look at Call of Duty Advanced Warfare...all the stuff you do in multiplayer has a distinctive intentional role tied into the story of CODAW.

That's good design, you don't make two seperate games. I guess the catch is making all of those decisions work in both SP and MP.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
That's good design, you don't make two seperate games. I guess the catch is making all of those decisions work in both SP and MP.

As long as its balanced and makes sense in multiplayer, I have zero issue with single player elements being used in multiplayer.

I know many weapons never make it over from SP to MP throughout the Halo series...one of the weapons I always wished we had was the green gun from those huge armored covenant soldiers. I can't remember if it ever made it into MP in Halo. I know it wasn't in Halo 2.

Tawpgun

So Spartan charge kinda sucks. It's more of a nerf to sprint Melee rushing if anything. But I wonder if it has btb implications? Wondering now a spartan charge/ground pound interact with moving vehicles.

So Spartan charge kinda sucks. It's more of a nerf to sprint Melee rushing if anything. But I wonder if it has btb implications? Wondering now a spartan charge/ground pound interact with moving vehicles.

It's interesting, the Charge is the sort of thing you'd expect to be a boost, but it really does hamper the effectiveness of sprint melee by hugely restricting your ability to, you know, aim.

Maybe that's the intent, I dunno.

And yeah, gonna be interesting to see how they interact with vehicles, or really what's going on with vehicles in general. Really hoping we get a vehicle health bar back, maybe some sort of limited smallarms immunity for some of them.

As long as its balanced and makes sense in multiplayer, I have zero issue with single player elements being used in multiplayer.

I know many weapons never make it over from SP to MP throughout the Halo series...one of the weapons I always wished we had was the green gun from those huge armored covenant soldiers. I can't remember if it ever made it into MP in Halo. I know it wasn't in Halo 2.

You mean a Hunter fuel rod cannon thing? Yeah, that'd be nuts.

Impala26

I know it's 420 and all, but... you high breh? You mean the fuel rod gun?

xFuelRodGunsx.jpg

FuelRodGun2.jpg

It's in Halo PC and it's in the Halo CE MP suite of the MCC

Karl2177

From my perspective, not making equipment/AAs/SAs an integral part of the gameplay is one of the things that has set Halo apart actually. Equipment in Halo 3 was never an integral part of the gameplay in SP, but it definitely enhanced it(and the Halo 3 SP designers knew how it played in). Sierra 117 introduces it with Bubble Shields and that's pretty much it. Crows Nest throws in Deployable Covers, Regens, and Grav Lifts. Take a look at the Hammer Chieftain room. The Grav Lifts are placed in the center to entice the player to use them, but it's not required for the player to use them. The best example is the copious amounts of Trip Mines in Tsavo Highway. They are never required to progress through the level, but they definitely added a different way to take out all the Choppers and Wraiths.

Reach would drop certain AAs on the ground in certain encounters, but it wasn't as thought out as Halo 3's were. The best example is Camo in Nightfall, but the AI was too knowledgeable about Camo and Hologram for it to be good.

As for the last line, I think it's an unwise idea to look at a franchised game(whose premise is based on a combat loop of 30 seconds of fun) to not be "straight forward shooting". That or you're just getting old.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Now that we have access to the abilities at all times I'm really hoping for some better use in campaign.

Oooh, good thinking.

Top Bottom