• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Tawpgun

Wait times in the BTB playlist for me are still 30+ minutes long... haha. Pretty sure it's a population thing at this point which is why I just don't bother any more.

Not in the US? Primetime US time matchmaking in BTB has been at most like 3-5 minutes but usually shorter. Dunno what its like during other times. Henery can answer for the UK, Ozzy for Australia.

My wait times for BTB even in the morning are usually quite short, though I'm also having games fail to load more often in BTB. This is pre-patch, so hopefully the stability is a little better there.

Haruko

Man, some of you SOBs are unlucky as fuck. Played a few games this morning, smooth sailing across the board.

Everyone seems to forget that the first hours after a big patch are usually wonky as fuck, lol.

I'm hoping that's what most of this is.

As for the "negative vs. positive" approach to handling quitters, I think negative is needed to deter the idiots that are just oblivious to the fact that quitting affects those they leave behind (like the guy in that Facebook screenshot I linked).

Affecting your Xbox Live-wide reputation is on the severe side, but hey at least something's finally using that system. I imagine that losing rep is a bit of a slow descent anwyay.

Omni

Not in the US? Primetime US time matchmaking in BTB has been at most like 3-5 minutes but usually shorter. Dunno what its like during other times. Henery can answer for the UK, Ozzy for Australia.

Naa, Australia. Team slayer is the only playlist that works. Which gets a bit boring :s

Maybe things will get better next month with ODST and Relic or whatever. Hopefully.

Looking at Relic, are those new structures on the island? Originally I thought they were background buildings on other islands, but on the large image the building on the right has a gravity lift seen in blue, seems like it replaces the covenant sniper tower.
tmcc-h2a-relic-establishing-megalith_1920x1080-e113ec27959f4b8dbdc956b54e4ab40d.jpg

Looking at Relic, are those new structures on the island? Originally I thought they were background buildings on other islands, but on the large image the building on the right has a gravity lift seen in blue, seems like it replaces the covenant sniper tower.

I'd really like to see a map pack for Halo 2 anniversary. Would love Midship, Waterworks and Turf. Midship despite being in the collection twice, I'd still like to play more. It was omitted partly due to Halo 5, but that maps so big they don't really play the same. Waterworks I find to be the best BTB map not included in what we have now. Turf is a toss up, but I always enjoyed it in split-screen.

Edit: This was supposed to be an edit, not a double post!

Haruko

One thing to note: Your Xbox Live reputation "heals" over time if you don't keep getting reported (and stop quitting).

The more hours you play fairly online without being reported as abusive by other players, the better your reputation will be.
Remember, we designed the algorithm so it won’t penalize you for bad reports over a few weeks of play. The system also adjusts for false reports from people that might intentionally report someone of greater skill or for other griefing purposes.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/03/xbox-one-leveling-up-reputation

Impala26

Everyone seems to forget that the first hours after a big patch are usually wonky as fuck, lol.

I'm hoping that's what most of this is.

As for the "negative vs. positive" approach to handling quitters, I think negative is needed to deter the idiots that are just oblivious to the fact that quitting affects those they leave behind (like the guy in that Facebook screenshot I linked).

Affecting your Xbox Live-wide reputation is on the severe side, but hey at least something's finally using that system. I imagine that losing rep is a bit of a slow descent anwyay.

Did they go into details about how many quit matches or quit matches over time it takes to adversely effect your Xbox Live reputation? Or for that matter, how to go about improving your reputation it if you're one of the few rampant quitters who's oblivious to this new system?

Did they go into details about how many quit matches or quit matches over time it takes to adversely effect your Xbox Live reputation? Or for that matter, how to go about improving your reputation it if you're one of the few rampant quitters who's oblivious to this new system?

They just said that it's amount that seems abnormal, so no.

who ever thought hang em high was good for 4v4 slayer needs to be kidney punched.

People voted for 4v4 Standoff with assault rifle starts the other day, at least in Halo 1 you spawn with the magnum.

Haruko

1) Not that i've seen, but if I had to guess, 1 quit = 1 negative report. Which means it would take a bunch for you to actually drop a "tier" to "Needs Work" and below. I've not even seen the needle move on people's gamercard rep after reporting them for quitting in the past.

2) Stop quitting and avoid being manually reported by fellow players for other crap, and it will go back up

EDIT: Hmm, thinking about this, you could theoretically still manually report the people for quitting and double-up on their punishment, lol

Um did anyone know that halo spartan strike and spartan assault were released on iOS lately? I just noticed the games on the app store.

Was spartan assault on iOS before now? I don't remember.

RowdyReverb

I wonder how the penalty will affect quitting rates, especially a couple weeks down the line when constant quitters start to lose rep. It's a pretty stern warning it gives when you attempt to quit, but I have a feeling reading may be too much work for some.
Also, the cross-game aspect of rep means that we may end up seeing slightly fewer quitters in H5 someday, though I'd imagine only a small fraction of future H5 purchasers are still playing MCC. Wonder if H5 will have similar quit penalties.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Sure its not your connection vapor? Does CE consistently stutter for you?

It is not my connection. I have a 50mb download speed, more than enough to play online gaming smoothly. All my PC gaming, Xbox One gaming, etc, with the exception of Halo CE in MCC, all run fine.

I only play two playlists of MCC, that's H2A, and HCE. Occasionally I may dip into Halo Team Slayer...but I usually quit out every time due to SMG or AR starts.

Game flat out is broken for me.

Akai__

It is not my connection. I have a 50mb download speed, more than enough to play online gaming smoothly. All my PC gaming, Xbox One gaming, etc, with the exception of Halo CE in MCC, all run fine.

Download speed doesn't mean anything, if your Ping is bad. Would really like to see other peoples Ping in the MCC.

jem0208

Has anyone else noticed the stuttering other than you Vapor?

I've never noticed anything, then again I haven't played as much CE as the others.

I've never noticed anything, then again I haven't played as much CE as the others.

I haven't noticed that particular issue but I don't play it that often.

BTB search times are usually fine but once every 5 or so games the lobby gets stuck at 13/14 players and takes aeons to find the final player (or, in the case of last night, start the game 6v7).

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Download speed doesn't mean anything, if your Ping is bad. Would really like to see other peoples Ping in the MCC.

I have no idea of knowing who it's connecting me to. I have no idea if I'm on a dedicated server, and if I am, no idea of where that server is. I have no idea if I'm connected peer 2 peer.

I primarily play Halo CE...so unless you play it as much as I do...most of you won't know what I'm talking about. If you want to see it for yourself, play more CE.

If more people tried CE, they would probably see what I'm talking about.

Mistel

Banned
I think they're new wasn't any like the one in the background in the original Relic.

DJ Gunner

The stuttering that Vapor's referring to in CE was very real after the Feb patch. However, I played 4-5 games of CE last night and didn't see it once, so I figured it was gone.

FWIW, I think the quit penalties are just fine, and I'm glad to see 343 and MS put something so severe in place. It's needed- especially for the people who, for whatever reason, won't play customs games but only want to play their flavor of Halo in matchmaking. Combined with ranks, should see a lot less quitters going forward.

Mdot

As long as the game functions and runs properly, there's no reason for me to quit. That said, I have quit before as a result of the shit this game has been, so hopefully cleaning that up results in lower dropouts all around.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The stuttering that Vapor's referring to in CE was very real after the Feb patch. However, I played 4-5 games of CE last night and didn't see it once, so I figured it was gone.

FWIW, I think the quit penalties are just fine, and I'm glad to see 343 and MS put something so severe in place. It's needed- especially for the people who, for whatever reason, won't play customs games but only want to play their flavor of Halo in matchmaking. Combined with ranks, should see a lot less quitters going forward.

For me, it wasn't stuttering at all prior to March update. After March...all hell broke loose on Halo CE and has yet to recover.

I have some Live friends that are really gonna hate that quit penalty but that's not a bad thing. I understand quitting when you're team is dropping out too but not much more than that.

One thing I saw on Reddit was a comment talking about dropping Team Slayer as a playlist. That sounds like another good step, make everyone go into the playlist of the game they want. That means less people playing CE, 2,3, or 4 when they don't want to and obviously less quitters.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I have some Live friends that are really gonna hate that quit penalty but that's not a bad thing. I understand quitting when you're team is dropping out too but not much more than that.

One thing I saw on Reddit was a comment talking about dropping Team Slayer as a playlist. That sounds like another good step, make everyone go into the playlist of the game they want. That means less people playing CE, 2,3, or 4 when they don't want to and obviously less quitters.

I would agree with TS being dropped. Each respective game basically has TS come up as a voting option and it generally gets voted for majority of the time.

jem0208

http://i.imgur.com/yeUxQYf.gifv

This is the reason I don't like H2A.

I never knew exactly what the problem was until seeing this but I have this problem all the fucking time playing H2A.

Hint:
watch the ammo counter...

This was taken from this /r/halo thread.

Edit: Why doesn't NeoGAF have the ability to embed gifv? Don't want to embed a giant gif and ruin the page again.

Also they'll never remove the TS playlist, it's almost certainly the got the highest population of all the playlists.

Agreed. Drop team slayer as a playlist ASAP, replace with Objective, win.

daedalius

http://i.imgur.com/yeUxQYf.gifv

This is the reason I don't like H2A.

I never knew exactly what the problem was until seeing this but I have this problem all the fucking time playing H2A.

Hint:
watch the ammo counter...

This was taken from this /r/halo thread.

Edit: Why doesn't NeoGAF have the ability to embed gifv? Don't want to embed a giant gif and ruin the page again.

All games are running on dedicated servers, didn't you get the memo?

And wow, that really should have be a 4 shot.

Make objective gametypes BR starts. Would make more people vote for them, and they wouldn't play like ass.

Drop TS.

I like it.

Also, if we're never gonna have a tiebreaker option with our three choices it would be nice to have objectives on the left. Team Slayer will probably still win but objectives would at least have a chance.

Nebula

I never thought a Halo remake could go so poorly that it drove me back a generation and to Halo 4. 343 forever pulling off the impossible.

blamite

I was only able to get two games in last night, one in H2A and one in H3, but both worked pretty well. Fastish matches, smooth connections. I'm sure it can still be shitty at times but I was impressed (although basic matchmaking functionality shouldn't be something to be impressed by...). Plus, the SpOps mission that had consistently crashed the game halfway through worked. Yay?

Abd the new quit penalty sounds fine. Build in a little bit of a buffer for extenuating circumstances and the ability to get your rep back by proving you've been rehabilitated and it's exactly what I'd want.

Mistel

Banned
I don't know how old that gif is so it might be fixed... I still have a shit time on H2A though, I think it's more than likely due to US hosts combined with my shitty rural Welsh internet so I have terribad ping.
Fair enough my experiences it will be similar probably with my awful rural Essex internet here when I eventually get around to playing MCC /getting a one.

The MCC needs to not blend all the halo games in hoppers, sometimes I am in the mood for halo 3 big team and I have to cross my fingers that i'm not getting into a halo 2 or 4 BTB among other things like smg starts.

I really dislike it, because of that I just stick to the halo 2 hopper because I know i'm getting halo 2 and nothing else.

Does aiming at the enemy in halo 3 mp still result in making the aiming loose and reverse the aiming help magnatism?

Top Bottom