• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Karl2177

i think its the perfect punishment, if you think its ok to ruin the game for others by quitting then you should also have the game ruined for you people need to stop quitting and the problem will be solved
And when the game loads me into a 2v4 and I'm on the 2, I'm penalized across the system? Fuck that.
This is Jem quality analysis.
You're being too harsh on jem, that's just a standard daedalius post.
Nice job fixing MM.
3 Plots on Warlord? Who even wants that?
Why does game history on waypoint only go as far as this now:

stats_zpsdhodoelj.png

rather than showing detailed stats of each player in any particular game ala this:

Capture-4.jpg

or this:

h3%20st_zps7wf2wwrj.png

Must we always be going backwards?

Played five games earlier to test new patch. Significantly less quitting. Audio much improved on H3. The sensitivity settings seems to be analogous to their original state now. Still getting players going HUGELY negative on either team which basically decides the match (See my k/d to loss pattern above).

Oh and it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes but the theatre glitch where you couldn't rewind if the film was at its end has been fixed.
I have a bunch written up about it. 343i's web team has managed to make Halo 4 stat pages look good.
Haven't played since this patch, but BTB has been the smoothest experience for me as well. Mainly because most of the map/gametypes are solid. Compared to getting AR's on snowbound.

Also since that big patch that fixed MM I don't think games match you with uneven numbered teams anymore. If you recall near launch it would legitimately match 8 people into a 3 v 5.

From my experience, the game matches people up fine. The issue I believe is sometimes people will either

A. Crash from the game lobby

or

B. Don't like the voting options, or something bad gets voted and so they dashboard out.

It has reverted back to that launch state of 3v5.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/yeUxQYf.gifv

This is the reason I don't like H2A.

I never knew exactly what the problem was until seeing this but I have this problem all the fucking time playing H2A.

Hint:
watch the ammo counter...

This was taken from this /r/halo thread.

Edit: Why doesn't NeoGAF have the ability to embed gifv? Don't want to embed a giant gif and ruin the page again.

Also they'll never remove the TS playlist, it's almost certainly the got the highest population of all the playlists.

I've been saying that for the longest time about H2A...no one seemed to understand what I was talking about. This is the exact issue with all of the projectile-based weapons in H2A. It happens with the plasma rifle, needler, AR, BR, etc.

When it does happen, like in the video you linked, you're actually not receiving that shot...so on screen it looks like damage was dealt, but on the opposition's screen, the damage never registered. The "packet" was lost.

Unbelievable that they designed the game this way. This is why I can't understand how the esports community can remotely take H2A serious.

I don't know how old that gif is so it might be fixed... I still have a shit time on H2A though, I think it's more than likely due to US hosts combined with my shitty rural Welsh internet so I have terribad ping.

That has yet to be fixed. It's been there since day one. Happens in every H2A game. The mainstream gamers don't pay enough attention to detail to understand what is going on.

In H2A...you are not guaranteed a shot fired everytime you pull the trigger on a projectile-based weapon. Period.

Broken game is broken. I'll tweet that gif to Bravo...let's see what his reaction is.

Why there is still only H2A have ranks?

Based on these improvements and updates, we’ll be resetting ranking for Halo 2: Anniversary, and separately, will begin to roll out ranks to additional playlists soon (we’re aiming for the next day or so), starting with the addition of ranking to the Team Slayer and Halo Championship Series playlists. We’ll be actively monitoring the ranking system across these playlists over the next few days to ensure that everything is working properly before adding ranks to additional playlists.

J4mm1nJ03

I'm curious to see how severe the quitting penalties end up being. I do feel that potentially affecting your experience across the whole console sounds pretty harsh, though. I'll almost always stick out a match even if it's AR starts or a gametype I didn't want, but last night after the patch hit I had a game on Standoff where everyone else on my team quit out within the first minute, and standoff being standoff meant that the other team was rolling deep in warthogs and with rockets so that wasn't something I wanted to sit through at all. I would also quit in the past if lag would be too bad to be playable, something along the lines of feeling like 200-300 ping. Honestly, I would have been completely fine with just punishing in-game similar to Reach.

Ideally if they do want to keep it to where it affects your rep, it should work in a weighted fashion where if you do end up getting reputation punished, you can work it back up by increasing your ratio of matches played all the way through, or at the very least not penalize you if you're the only one left on your team (the same thing as the surrender idea that others have mentioned).

Sure, put people on a cooldown for a bit if they go on betrayal sprees or quit a few times over the course of an hour or something, that's fine. I just don't like the idea of being punished across the entire service if I don't want to sit through overly-laggy matches or matches where the rest of my team has left and ruined that match for me anyways. Give me the loss I was already guaranteed to get. I was never a big fan of the rep system (or maybe just the implementation?) And this isn't helping my opinion of it any further. I don't think I quit games often enough to have to worry about this, but I don't think it's the kind of thing I should have to worry about at all, either.

jem0208

I've been saying that for the longest time about H2A...no one seemed to understand what I was talking about. This is the exact issue with all of the projectile-based weapons in H2A. It happens with the plasma rifle, needler, AR, BR, etc.

When it does happen, like in the video you linked, you're actually not receiving that shot...so on screen it looks like damage was dealt, but on the opposition's screen, the damage never registered. The "packet" was lost.

Unbelievable that they designed the game this way. This is why I can't understand how the esports community can remotely take H2A serious.

That has yet to be fixed. It's been there since day one. Happens in every H2A game. The mainstream gamers don't pay enough attention to detail to understand what is going on.

In H2A...you are not guaranteed a shot fired everytime you pull the trigger on a projectile-based weapon. Period.

Broken game is broken. I'll tweet that gif to Bravo...let's see what his reaction is.

The BR isn't a projectile weapon in H2A though, it's hitscan... I'm not denying anything you're saying, but the BR is definitely hitscan.

King Leo

Neo Member

I always wondered why the hell it takes me 5-6 shots to kill someone when I know I didn't miss. Damn. Can't wait for HCS to be done with H2A.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The BR isn't a projectile weapon in H2A though, it's hitscan... I'm not denying anything you're saying, but the BR is definitely hitscan.

Within the hitscan though, can each bullet within a single burst qualify as separate packets? Or are all three bullets within a single burst considered a single packet?

What I've noticed is that if you rapidly hit the trigger to fire a BR as fast as you can (I know there's a fire rate limit), the game seems to have issue registering your trigger pulls fast enough.

Same goes for the full-auto projectile weapons like the AR and Needler. If you hold the button down and watch the AR fire...you will see the ammo counter skip and refund or take away bullets after you've let go of the trigger. It's crazy. Needler does it too. I've emptied an entire clip of needler on someone and they didn't die because half the damn needles never existed.

I always wondered why the hell it takes me 5-6 shots to kill someone when I know I didn't miss. Damn. Can't wait for HCS to be done with H2A.

This was also an issue with Halo 3, even on LAN at the MLG events. I remember the first Halo 3 MLG tournament, the commentators were going nuts when Ogre 2 was clearly 4-5 shotting people at close-to-mid range and the game was simply saying "nope...not happening, we're taking those shots away from you."

Bravo's response: https://twitter.com/Brav/status/590933916611059712

jem0208

Within the hitscan though, can each bullet within a single burst qualify as separate packets? Or are all three bullets within a single burst considered a single packet?

What I've noticed is that if you rapidly hit the trigger to fire a BR as fast as you can (I know there's a fire rate limit), the game seems to have issue registering your trigger pulls fast enough.

Same goes for the full-auto projectile weapons like the AR and Needler. If you hold the button down and watch the AR fire...you will see the ammo counter skip and refund or take away bullets after you've let go of the trigger. It's crazy. Needler does it too. I've emptied an entire clip of needler on someone and they didn't die because half the damn needles never existed.

This was also an issue with Halo 3, even on LAN at the MLG events. I remember the first Halo 3 MLG tournament, the commentators were going nuts when Ogre 2 was clearly 4-5 shotting people at close-to-mid range and the game was simply saying "nope...not happening, we're taking those shots away from you."

Ohh I see what you mean. Projectile fire is usually used to describe weapons with travel time though, which is what confused me.

And yeah, I assume each bullet is considered seperately even though they hit instantly because you can sweep across and him multiple targets with one burst.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Ohh I see what you mean. Projectile fire is usually used to describe weapons with travel time though, which is what confused me.

And yeah, I assume each bullet is considered seperately even though they hit instantly because you can sweep across and him multiple targets with on burst.

Glad you understand.

I've tested all the weapons in H2A, and it's very interesting what happens.

With an AR, you can hold down the trigger and it will fire full auto, if you watch the ammo counter at the corner of the screen, you will see the bullets flicker and not deplete smoothly...and when you let go through say 25% of your clip...you'll actually see either bullets continue to disappear or they will refund back.

With the needler, I've seen the needles in the ammo counter corner skip and take away after I've stopped shooting.

It's ridiculous. I also think that the missing sounds in H2A are directly related to this. When you have time, if you haven't already noticed, play a match of H2A and just listen to the background noise of people fighting...you'll hear a lot of mis-firing happening with BRs. Traditionally you hear a rhythm of BRs firing but in H2A, you'll hear odd pops instead of consistent three-shot burst sounds. That's most likely related to these bullets just disappearing out of thing air.

So apparently Gamestop is completely out of the $99.99 edition of Halo 5. Ridiculous since we don't even know what's included in it. So right now, just the standard and $249.99 editions are available for preorder at Gamestop. Just a heads up.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So apparently Gamestop is completely out of the $99.99 edition of Halo 5. Ridiculous since we don't even know what's included in it. So right now, just the standard and $249.99 editions are available for preorder at Gamestop. Just a heads up.

m o d e r n v i d e o g a m e s i n d u s t r y

Fracas

#fuckonami
I mean for gods sake publishers why don't you just put up packets of magical beans for preorder too

You can even tie in some sweet bean armor dlc while you're at it

daedalius

Glad you understand.

I've tested all the weapons in H2A, and it's very interesting what happens.

With an AR, you can hold down the trigger and it will fire full auto, if you watch the ammo counter at the corner of the screen, you will see the bullets flicker and not deplete smoothly...and when you let go through say 25% of your clip...you'll actually see either bullets continue to disappear or they will refund back.

With the needler, I've seen the needles in the ammo counter corner skip and take away after I've stopped shooting.

It's ridiculous. I also think that the missing sounds in H2A are directly related to this. When you have time, if you haven't already noticed, play a match of H2A and just listen to the background noise of people fighting...you'll hear a lot of mis-firing happening with BRs. Traditionally you hear a rhythm of BRs firing but in H2A, you'll hear odd pops instead of consistent three-shot burst sounds. That's most likely related to these bullets just disappearing out of thing air.

Its obviously a connection issue.

Its not happening on LAN.

Leyasu

Banned
Download speed doesn't mean anything, if your Ping is bad. Would really like to see other peoples Ping in the MCC.

Correct. Yet the pings change per match in this pos. Halo 5 will be better.

For reference, I live in rural France, and ping the western Europe datacenter in titanfall in the mid 40s. It plays great. On the MCC, I probably get the same experience 1 game in 10 if I am lucky. The game is fucking joke.

I wished I never bought it.

Ramirez

I would imagine most people think it's just the game+season pass, which it probably is. Plus some "limited edition" art cell or something equally dumb.

Madness

This just shows what a tough job QA is. It took less than 5 minutes for us to see the dash, but no one at 343 noticed it. Just like 1th, which no one noticed but we all saw within launch day/launch week.

Madness

Double post but you'd think now that it's been 4 months, they'd remove the Halo 5 MP beta button and graphic from the UI. It's just there but is shadowed/greyed out. What a sloppy design decision by United Front Games. Dedicate UI real estate for a 3 week beta, and then block it out for good.

Would be better if they had plans to convert it to a Halo 5 launcher so that people who have the game digitally, can just launch H5 from that as opposed to exiting back to dashboard, games and apps blah blah.

Welfare

Double post but you'd think now that it's been 4 months, they'd remove the Halo 5 MP beta button and graphic from the UI. It's just there but is shadowed/greyed out. What a sloppy design decision by United Front Games. Dedicate UI real estate for a 3 week beta, and then block it out for good.

I was just thinking this when I loaded up the game.

Haruko

Would be better if they had plans to convert it to a Halo 5 launcher so that people who have the game digitally, can just launch H5 from that as opposed to exiting back to dashboard, games and apps blah blah.

The Xbox One displays at Best Buy around here are also still advertising the Halo 5 Beta as of this last weekend.

Computer

Dose anyone else feel the grenade spam in H2A is insane? 10 people on a Lockout with the possibility to carry 8 grenades is too much.

jem0208

Same thing happened with ODST and the Reach beta.

Same thing also happened with Crackdown and the Halo 3 beta IIRC. Seems like pretty standard practice. It's not like it gets in the way though, you can't even highlight it, just skips straight past.

Computer

Same thing also happened with Crackdown and the Halo 3 beta IIRC. Seems like pretty standard practice. It's not like it gets in the way though, you can't even highlight it, just skips straight past.

I don't even think the in game link ever worked. I remember downloading it by some other means.

From Halo 1 Level Halo

"John's Warthog approaches a large cave structure.

Cortana: "This cave is not a natural formation. Someone built it, so it must lead somewhere."

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_(Halo:_Combat_Evolved_level)

That line always made me laugh. It was very obvious it was not a natural formation.

uwdanman

Neo Member
I really, really want this to be some Hunt the Truth thing.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe its a portal that leads to the display of the population numbers! We need a few button mashers to crack the secret code...

From Halo 1 Level Halo

Cortana: "This cave is not a natural formation. Someone built it, so it must lead somewhere."

Madness

Ah, just another thing that doesn't bother you so it's A-OK. Kidding Jem.

I can't remember if it was ever removed for Halo 3, or Reach. I'll have to go back and look. Just saying, if they're working on the UI, adding new dynamic screens and stuff, they could remove it.

Fuchsdh

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe its a portal that leads to the display of the population numbers! We need a few button mashers to crack the secret code...

From Halo 1 Level Halo

It's up there with "to war" and "She told me that once" as worst lines in the Halo franchise. :)

Top Bottom