• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Pez

What a bullshit compromise for quitters. This game stacks the odds against you with its frequent crashing and uneven teams. And I don't blame people for quitting as soon as a 3v4 game starts, the team with lesser members has no chance.

There's a quitting culture inside the community because everyone's used to getting screwed over before a game even starts

What a cluster fuck of a production.

Ramirez

It's the fact it'll tie into your overall Xbox One reputation and affect every game you play. So it goes beyond Halo: MCC. It's not about running your ability to play Halo, which I'm all for, it's ruining your ability to play Gears 4 or FIFA 17 etc.

Don't be a sore loser and it's a non issue.

Quitting was an issue long before MCC came around. I'd wager over 50% of my Reach matches were just 4 people hunting 1 guy for multiple rounds.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
"Needs Work" is your warning system, while "Avoid Me" will inhibit your ability to find people on any game across Xbox Live as well as your ability to use other functions (ex: Twitch stream).
This is just.. WTF, I never knew how this reputation system works. So "Avoid Me" basically renders your Gold subscription useless?!

I'm not a quitter, even when people vote for CE's godawful BTB, but this "punishment" is just too much, bruh, too much.

Don't be a sore loser and it's a non issue.

Quitting was an issue long before MCC came around. I'd wager over 50% of my Reach matches were just 4 people hunting 1 guy for multiple rounds.

I agree quitting has been a major issue for years and multiple mainline Halo titles, something drastic had to be done. Why MS/343i didn't empower players/parties with choice via toggles within the matchmaking framework is beyond me.

I'd wager a massive % of quitters is based around the votes and the first 1 minute of games they didn't really want to play e.g. don't win the vote, get matched with low scoring players and just say fuck it I quit. Having a massive quit penalty is at least a developer/platform move to do something in this space but I can't stop harping how player choice/toggles is the far better solution and in more ways than quit penalties.

Give players choice, save on quitting, get better game experiences due to knowledge of the maps/gametypes players actually want to play. It's a no brainer. Anyhow here we are with the lesser solution with negative impacts instead of positive ones. Shit I really want to see a sprint series about why MCC matchmaking was built the way it is. Essentially the Halo matchmaking system process with regard to player/party choices hasn't been overhauled through multiple Halo titles. Honestly I'd love to hear why MS/343i stick to this one formula for matchmaking with Halo so stringently? Is it the technology/engine or a management decision?

Have toggles or CGB been in the USA focused surveys in recent times?

PNut

Banned
If there's no incentive to win people will always quit.

Bring back ranks in Halo that are visible in every playlist so you can shame people again. That's the only thing that makes people try.

What the fuck, how is it so hard to understand? I'm so glad I gave up on this franchise when I did

If there's no incentive to win people will always quit.

Bring back ranks in Halo that are visible in every playlist so you can shame people again. That's the only thing that makes people try.

What the fuck, how is it so hard to understand? I'm so glad I gave up on this franchise when I did
They should do Ranked and Social Playlists. I dont want to play against tryhards every time just because they want to rank up, while I just want to play for fun

uurGIZd.jpg

the age of people quitting when it's not their favorite halo is done!

stay_mad.jpg

Oh lol, that is huge. I understand wanting to punish quitters, but this is a bit excessive. This effects your whole XBL experience, not just Halo. It doesn't help that the game is still fairly unstable.

If they're going this route, I'd imagine H5 will have the same penalty system.

Oh lol, that is huge. I understand wanting to punish quitters, but this is a bit excessive. This effects your whole XBL experience, not just Halo. It doesn't help that the game is still fairly unstable.

If they're going this route, I'd imagine H5 will have the same penalty system.

They better drastically reduce the SMG/AR weighting in the next few days or not only will 343 have eaten my hamster, they'll also have rendered my gold account void.

So we wanted quit penalties, and now we're mad there are quit penalties?

Sure I have always wanted harsh quit penalties, I freely offer that up. It doesn't exclude other ideas or improvements though e.g. remaining team mates on quitters team can group vote to surrender with less penalty or choices/toggles being a better approach.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Magical isn't it?

If this was any other commercial industry, there would have been a product recall a while back.

Just imagine the internal postmortem report notes on this game.

I've always advocated for harsh quit penalties, but that was for games that actually worked. The system has to be smart too, if you are the last guy or two on your team and everyone else has quit out, as an example, you shouldn't be punished for quitting - if anything in those situations you should be awarded for agreeing to cease a shitty situation and allowing the remaining players to get out and back into MM to find a better game.

I sincerely doubt the penalty system is as nuanced as it needs to be like that.

Fuck H2A though. They need to limit starting nades to one. Also Zenith sucks and Warlord is terrible as 5v5. Can't wait for ranks to come to TS and the other playlist, fuck H2A.

lmao this guy's tag was "I carry noobs", and he quit. What a tool.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
They really did fix Halo 3's deadzone, my right stick no longer drifts, hooray!

wait what

Satirising my sometimes raving (but always true!) posts aimed at 343. Based on this

Lol pretty much

You're going to see a huge increase in AFKing once word of the penalty spreads. Ever had that one guy who AFK's in the basement on Construct and spawns you there every time? You'll wish they quit.

It's a tough situation for 343 and there's no easy solution to it. Adding ranks to most playlists will help.

I'll echo Nowise in saying that I too would like an FFA list that I can enter with my friends. It's been a staple of every online Halo game and an absolute hoot.

Akai__

Is SWAT already out again? What about an objective playlist?

Edit: Slowly reading through the thread. Just what are you doing 343i...

Tomash

My first game of H2A after the patch was 5vs4, ended up 50-20. In the next match, my whole team quit(summed rank of enemy team = 30, ours = 8). IMO, they should have waited until all playlists have ranks, and all players have their representative rank in their most played playlists. Then turn on quit penalties.

m23

I've only been playing the Team Slayer and Halo 4 playlists and didn't run into any issues last night. Maybe I was just lucky.

I think it would be nice if they would bring in checkboxes for what you want to play in matchmaking. Like:

Gamemodes:
[X]Team Slayer
[ ]Objective
[X] BTB
[ ] SWAT
[ ]etc

Games:
[ ]HCE
[ ]H2
[ ]H2A
[X]H3
[X]H4

Basing on your choice the game can then find a game you actually want to play. I guess a lot of quitters before the game starts quit because they cant stand the mode/game that was voted

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I wouldn't mind if they changed up traditional MM. The system is old and using what is essentially the old Halo 2 model with a few extras, maybe ain't the best way to do things any more.

Then again, MCC does have one of the biggest map counts in like any console and MM shooter.

Halo 5 would be ideal for shaking up the MM system. With the beta long gone, and future tests limited to take homes and MS employee wide stuff, I doubt we'll see anything substantially new.

Why does game history on waypoint only go as far as this now:

stats_zpsdhodoelj.png

rather than showing detailed stats of each player in any particular game ala this:

Capture-4.jpg

or this:

h3%20st_zps7wf2wwrj.png

Must we always be going backwards?

Played five games earlier to test new patch. Significantly less quitting. Audio much improved on H3. The sensitivity settings seems to be analogous to their original state now. Still getting players going HUGELY negative on either team which basically decides the match (See my k/d to loss pattern above).

Oh and it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes but the theatre glitch where you couldn't rewind if the film was at its end has been fixed.

willow ve

After reading the past two pages here I can't be bothered to even download the latest update. Fuck that noise.

Someone make a new thread when MCC actually works.

Works for me, has done for a while now. Still get the odd problem, but always do online. Always got quitters. Always got terrible matchmaking vis skills from time to time. Sucks, aye. At least, for me, MCC isn't utterly broken as it appears to still be for some.

Also, I've never got the fuss over ranks: sure, I get that you want to chase the 50, show your worth, et al, but playing to win is playing to win, whatever reward.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Works for me, has done for a while now. Still get the odd problem, but always do online. Always got quitters. Always got terrible matchmaking vis skills from time to time. Sucks, aye. At least, for me, MCC isn't utterly broken as it appears to still be for some.

Also, I've never got the fuss over ranks: sure, I get that you want to chase the 50, show your worth, et al, but playing to win is playing to win, whatever reward.

Ranks allow for skill-based matchmaking, therefore, better quality of matches. Simply throwing all skill ranges into a grab bag and pitting them against one another isn't fun for anyone.

Man, some of you SOBs are unlucky as fuck. Played a few games this morning, smooth sailing across the board.

How amazing for you. What playlists are to primarily playing in? Simply connecting to a game isn't the end of the issues that we all have been discussing for months and months now.
===

I'm reaching out to Xbox Support today and going to try to get a refund for my digitally purchased MCC. This April update was the last straw for me. I can't be wasting $64 on a product that does not work. Hopefully they issue me one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
After reading the past two pages here I can't be bothered to even download the latest update. Fuck that noise.

Someone make a new thread when MCC actually works.

It's worked for me since the last big patch a while back. Played through all 4 campaigns and MP off and on. Though I don't play as much as some of you all. I'm just ready for Halo 5, we know that (mostly) works based on the beta.

CliQ

A counter-strike style of matchmaking would be pretty cool. You pick set of maps that you want to play on and it will try and find a match on those maps only. It does slow down matchmaking but if you're willing to wait you only get your maps you selected.

Kibbles

Holy shit lol. That's ridiculous.

I've lagged out of quite a few matches in the MCC for no reason at all. And so this just makes me not want to play, period.
Happens all the time to me and my friends when we play together. If those count towards this I might as well stop.

Tawpgun

Will try and roll in BTB today. If people are around I might hop into a ranked playlist.

But it seems this patch made things worse? :/

also fkn LOL at that quit penalty. That's so absurd.

Ranks allow for skill-based matchmaking, therefore, better quality of matches. Simply throwing all skill ranges into a grab bag and pitting them against one another isn't fun for anyone.

How amazing for you. What playlists are to primarily playing in? Simply connecting to a game isn't the end of the issues that we all have been discussing for months and months now.
===

I'm reaching out to Xbox Support today and going to try to get a refund for my digitally purchased MCC. This April update was the last straw for me. I can't be wasting $64 on a product that does not work. Hopefully they issue me one.

BTB; little to no lag, even teams, at least in terms of numbers, few to no glitches (that I noticed, at least). I'm not just talking about getting into a match, here. Some of you guys haven't gotten a decent match in months, I'm convinced that you really are cursed.

True that. I was more taking issue with the idea that without ranks, there's nothing to play for. I've never felt that - Halo is so rewarding in and of itself, for me anyway.

But yes, anything that helps balanced teams is fine in my book, although I my favourite setup was always Halo 3's split Ranked/Social.

Tawpgun

BTB; little to no lag, even teams, at least in terms of numbers, few to no glitches (that I noticed, at least). I'm not just talking about getting into a match, here. Some of you guys haven't gotten a decent match in months, I'm convinced that you really are cursed.

Haven't played since this patch, but BTB has been the smoothest experience for me as well. Mainly because most of the map/gametypes are solid. Compared to getting AR's on snowbound.

Also since that big patch that fixed MM I don't think games match you with uneven numbered teams anymore. If you recall near launch it would legitimately match 8 people into a 3 v 5.

From my experience, the game matches people up fine. The issue I believe is sometimes people will either

A. Crash from the game lobby

or

B. Don't like the voting options, or something bad gets voted and so they dashboard out.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

That's one playlist. All of the playlists, no matter the game, should work smooth, and they are not...therefore this game is still broken.

Glad you're having smooth times.

Omni

Wait times in the BTB playlist for me are still 30+ minutes long... haha. Pretty sure it's a population thing at this point which is why I just don't bother any more.

Top Bottom