• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

"There is zero reason to make a dissenting opinion about video games into a personal invective."

Maybe I should use an example to make it a bit clearer, and I may have skewed this quote to suit my own agenda. If the video game were MCC and I was led to believe it would function a certain way before release by certain individuals, such as yourself and Dan Ayoub. Then upon release of the said game, it is in a completely dysfunctional state and 2 months later is still completely ruined in terms of matchmaking. Would it not be fair to form a personal opinion about people that mislead thousands of people into purchasing a $400 console and a $60 copy of their game that doesn't work as initially stated. I have no respect for people that mislead up until release and become a wall of vagueness or simply disappear (Example: Dan Ayoub) after launch of such a game.

Cmon, as upset as we all are, that's a bit of a reach saying they deliberately mislead anyone. I do think that a lot of problems that presented themselves before launch were probably not given the due diligence they needed, but to say they deliberately released the game as is, or knew it would be like this is just not true. If anything, this has done them irreparable harm not only financially but from a series viability.

The reason Dan Ayoub probably hasn't spoken much is because he will singlehandedly be held responsible, much like he's singled out in your post. What could he say? As a studio, there was probably a moratorium on any kind of statements aside from waypoint or the community managers, especially when people are getting abuse on everything, twitter, forums etc. Even Frank said he was even getting death threats.

Even then, we're entitled to each feel how you want, and you're free to say what you want, but just keep in mind that these are people just like us, personal insults do nothing, even if you feel it allows you to channel anger. Be upset at the company sure, even be upset at the senior staff, but at their actions, not at their personal character no?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Since Stinkles is here.

Hey, anything to expect on the horizon, news or updates?
You should do what Bungie did and tease something once in a while. Like I remember when they had the Plasma Launcher firing sound in an update once leaving the community to madly speculate about what it was.
Good times.

I'll look up more 343i leakers if you want to hear more about how people claim
Jun becomes the big bad with Forerunner augmentation.

Plus, you know, defuse the situation and whatnot.

No fun allowed till MCC is fixed. But yeah, would be cool to start teasing stuff again.

Madness

Is mobileGAF messed up for anyone else? I need to refresh my Internet to see posts for some reason, as the refresh at bottom of the page causes me to see posts as new but when I reply, it's actually been 20+ minutes since that post was made or others have posted. Maybe I need a better phone now.

Cow

I agree that "personal vendetta" was not the correct choice of words there. Thanks for responding. I look forwards to the explanation once it's all fixed, there's not much else to say. I've stated my disappointment and I know I'm not alone in thinking this, unlike this forum suggests.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I agree that "personal vendetta" was not the correct choice of words there. Thanks for responding. I look forwards to the explanation once it's all fixed.

LtSh4Be.gif

GrizzNKev

Banned
What rank would someone have to be in Halo 5 to be considered good?

Like, if someone were to say, "get gud scrub," what would they need to accomplish?

No fun allowed till MCC is fixed. But yeah, would be cool to start teasing stuff again.

Niiice.

So, the Beta is nearing the end. How are you guys feeling about it? Feel like you got a lot of feedback and an idea for where to go?

When will we get a postmortem on this, or is it in the same realm as playlist updates to Halo 3 (360) and Reach?

Yeah, I want a Beta breakdown.
Stats, overview of people's feedback, don't need specify what will change though.

VeeP

Two questions:

How come Halo 5 Beta matchmaking is so smooth. Halo MCC is sometimes just as quick, but the speed varies. Different network/matchmaking code or something?

Second question, the X1 bumpers. Am I the only one that finds them somewhat unresponsive or uncomfortable to use?

Would it not be fair to form a personal opinion about people that mislead thousands of people into purchasing a $400 console and a $60 copy of their game that doesn't work as initially stated.

No one mislead you nor thousands of people into buying this game, it's not like the slogan was "The Master Chief Collection - Where Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong." I doubt 343i's intention was to become some sort of martyr for Xbox One sales by making a somewhat dysfunctional game that would attract old Halo fans to purchase the new console. I think you're looking for the word "disappointed." They provided a product that you wanted that didn't meet your expectations. The same thing happened to me with Destiny, I was looking forward to the game so much that I bought an Xbox One just to play it in the best way possible. Turns out the game was incredibly disappointing, but I didn't attack Bungie with false allegations because of those feelings. Anyways, mistakes happen, especially when porting 4 games - all with multiplayer - onto a new console on one disk.

Madness

Like, if someone were to say, "get gud scrub," what would they need to accomplish?

Onyx and above. Onyx is top 15 percent of all players, semi-pro is top 2% and and Pro is top 200 of semi-pro players. Those are what I would consider the Brigadiers and Generals.

I don't like the tier system as much, and the fact that they purposely hide the exact tier from public view so as to not make it such a contest. I believe Josh has said a Gold 3 and Onyx 1 are more close together in rank than a Gold 1 and Gold 3.

But that's just me, if you're gold 3 or above, you're considered good, especially if you also play with randoms or don't get backpacked up as much.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Two questions:

How come Halo 5 Beta matchmaking is so smooth. Halo MCC is sometimes just as quick, but the speed varies. Different network/matchmaking code or something?

Second question, the X1 bumpers. Am I the only one that finds them somewhat unresponsive or uncomfortable to use?

Totally different matchmaking code. And further, MCC's is trying to tie four different MM methods together.

LTTP, time differences suck on forums.

Melee is used a lot less in this game for sure. Part of it is bigger maps. Part of it is mobility. Part of it is less lunge. Either way I love it. Melee lunge was super dumb in most Halo games.

Aside from the no lunge at all in Halo 1, I thought Halo 2 handled it the best despite it having one of the more generous melee lunge distances. Reason being is you could strafe out of someones melee and even better, you could crouch and they would miss it unless they were aiming at your midsection. I missed those kinda counters in Halo 2. It's what made the gameplay fun. Button combos were also an unintentional awesome addition. Wish more FPS games had those kind of combat options available if you could think to pull them off.

It's what I like so much about the spartan abilities. You have an arsenal of toys and tricks that all your enemies have as well. But its how you use them and when that will set you apart.

I agree with everything you said here mate.

YING

I think I've accepted that "my Halo" is gone, the beta was ok but I've really had no urge to get on these last few days.

/rant

YANG

One point about map size that seems to be commented on regarding sprint e.g. big map sizes...IMO none of the H5 beta maps are larger than say The Pit or Narrows or Sanctuary or Colossus. Compared to the beta maps these all seem fairly close in size. I really feel like the beta sandbox, movement (sprint+more) and map design has been carefully designed and iterated to play so well.

Honestly I'm surprised you (and others posting here) aren't liking the beta and feel it's not Halo. I genuinely want you to enjoy your Halo but I guess there's some bridges that are hard to cross for all.

On a less serious note my son (5.5 years old) has been playing through CE, 2 & now 3 on easy when my misses says hurry up son and move along during a tense encounter. He answers with "I can't run mum, I can only walk so fast". I couldn't stop laughing. Then he played H4 for the first mission and he's loving sprint...
to get away and recharge his shields :)

I truly hope MCC resurrects itself and dedis are so good to the franchise and games of old that word of mouth brings long time Halo fans back to the fold. Hopefully the launch damage isn't so out of control as to turn away players. Halo has always had the ability to get players back or have them return for some games with mates. The framework 343i have laid down with the Halo Channel, HCS, the new website and the beta is all really positive stuff. It's a damned shame MCC/X1 royally shagged the matchmaking systems. It was aligning all the puzzle pieces greatly building up to launch. A raised glass the X1 platform and H5 are far more mature and launch smoothly later this year.

1. Individual skills, gunplay, movement, awareness and a good sense of fight or flight.
2. Team skills, communication and following the flow of the game.
3. Luck of the Internet gods for a good connection most games with minimal latency.
4. A regular party of friends or the luck of the matchmaking systems.
5. Time of day you play.

Onyx and above. Onyx is top 15 percent of all players, semi-pro is top 2% and and Pro is top 200 of semi-pro players. Those are what I would consider the Brigadiers and Generals.

I don't like the tier system as much, and the fact that they purposely hide the exact tier from public view so as to not make it such a contest. I believe Josh has said a Gold 3 and Onyx 1 are more close together in rank than a Gold 1 and Gold 3.

But that's just me, if you're gold 3 or above, you're considered good, especially if you also play with randoms or don't get backpacked up as much.

Of course Onyx 1 is closer to Gold 3 than Gold 3 is to Gold 1. I'm not sure why that should be surprising.

Iron 1, 2, 3
Bronze 1, 2, 3
Silver 1, 2, 3
Gold 1, 2, 3
Onyx 1, 2, 3
Semi-pro 1, 2, 3

It's essentially 18 ranks. Gold 1 is 10, Gold 3 is 12 and Onyx 1 is 13.

DJ Gunner

Cmon, as upset as we all are, that's a bit of a reach saying they deliberately mislead anyone. I do think that a lot of problems that presented themselves before launch were probably not given the due diligence they needed, but to say they deliberately released the game as is, or knew it would be like this is just not true. If anything, this has done them irreparable harm not only financially but from a series viability.

The reason Dan Ayoub probably hasn't spoken much is because he will singlehandedly be held responsible, much like he's singled out in your post. What could he say? As a studio, there was probably a moratorium on any kind of statements aside from waypoint or the community managers, especially when people are getting abuse on everything, twitter, forums etc. Even Frank said he was even getting death threats.

Even then, we're entitled to each feel how you want, and you're free to say what you want, but just keep in mind that these are people just like us, personal insults do nothing, even if you feel it allows you to channel anger. Be upset at the company sure, even be upset at the senior staff, but at their actions, not at their personal character no?

Right wrong or otherwise, it got a response from Frank- when responses from anyone regarding the MCC are so few and far between, many of us begin to wonder if it's just swept under the rug and they're done devoting resources to it. That is my single biggest fear. I'm just as disappointed as anyone, probably moreso than most in this forum as it was enough to make me swear off the beta- but the truth is I'd be willing to wait 6 months or longer to have the MCC work as advertised, seeing as how we waited over ten years to have functional CE online among any other things. I don't like to see any personal attacks or discussions devolve beyond civility, but at least now we know that, despite Bonnie's last announcement that seemed to imply everything was roses as of the 19th and here's our consolation prize, they know the game is still a mess and are devoting resources to fix it. I'm extremely happy to hear it and could use to keep hearing it after weeks of silence.

Madness

I never knew it even went up to pro. Kind of glad I haven't found out seeing how good those semi-pro players are.

B69c58YIcAA5Ng6.jpg

Walshy made Pro in all 3 playlists as well. I'd be shocked if any non real life pro makes Pro rank when the actual game launches. Will be curious to see if guys like Tawp, Biggy, Ram can maintain semi-pro when the full game launches. This would mean they're better then 98% or more of all the Halo players in the world.

B69c58YIcAA5Ng6.jpg

Walshy made Pro in all 3 playlists as well. I'd be shocked if any non real life pro makes Pro rank when the actual game launches. Will be curious to see if guys like Tawp, Biggy, Ram can maintain semi-pro when the full game launches. This would mean they're better then 98% or more of all the Halo players in the world.

Damn, I wish I was that good. Although I'd probably be higher if I weren't paired with AFK's and early quitters in about 3 of the 5 games I lose.

Cow

I think you're looking for the word "disappointed." They provided a product that you wanted that didn't meet your expectations.

It is a case of expectations not meeting reality. But not because I inflated my own expectations, rather certain features that were advertised and promised are still not present in the game. Not to mention I can barely get a game that starts with even teams, in respect to number of players on each team and skill levels of each team. Yes it was an ambitious project but that alone does not excuse the current state. People bought the game expecting that advertised features would be present - they are not.

Madness

Of course Onyx 1 is closer to Gold 3 than Gold 3 is to Gold 1. I'm not sure why that should be surprising.

Iron 1, 2, 3
Bronze 1, 2, 3
Silver 1, 2, 3
Gold 1, 2, 3
Onyx 1, 2, 3
Semi-pro 1, 2, 3

It's essentially 18 ranks. Gold 1 is 10, Gold 3 is 12 and Onyx 1 is 13.

Never said it was surprising, just that people are visually ranking each other, and so when a gold 3 and Onyx 1 are closer to each other in skill than a gold 1 and Gold 3, why aren't the former put together in a visual rank than the latter etc.

Also, semi-pro and Pro don't have tiers 1,2,3 but a number from 1500-2100. I believe from about/around 2000 onwards makes you Pro.

Right wrong or otherwise, it got a response from Frank- when responses from anyone regarding the MCC are so few and far between, many of us begin to wonder if it's just swept under the rug and they're done devoting resources to it. That is my single biggest fear. I'm just as disappointed as anyone, probably moreso than most in this forum as it was enough to make me swear off the beta- but the truth is I'd be willing to wait 6 months or longer to have the MCC work as advertised, seeing as how we waited over ten years to have functional CE online among any other things. I don't like to see any personal attacks or discussions devolve beyond civility, but at least now we know that, despite Bonnie's last announcement that seemed to imply everything was roses as of the 19th and here's our consolation prize, they know the game is still a mess and are devoting resources to fix it. I'm extremely happy to hear it and could use to keep hearing it after weeks of silence.

But they never said it was roses. Even the last update on waypoint acknowledged that more needed to be done and to have it fixed. Believe me, launch week crushed me and I'm now kind of in a state of apathy over Halo and MCC, but even still, personal attacks or insults should never be used even if the goal is to elicit a response. Plus, the big issue is expecting to be answered here, as a given, rather than a surprise. Frank posts here as a GAF'er, as does David, and hopefully Josh. They can explain things clearer, but shouldn't be expected to. Some people a little while back would even keep track of where Frank posted and then be upset that he isn't posting here etc.

Madness

Damn, I wish I was that good. Although I'd probably be higher if I weren't paired with AFK's and early quitters in about 3 of the 5 games I lose.

Double post but I agree. I could never be that good. It's just impossible. It's why Pros of one shooter, inevitably do well on others as well. Guys like Walshy have been consistently good at every Halo game. That's something you either have or don't have. That patience, the ability to learn the mechanics and use them quickly.

Mix

You would co sign this. There is zero reason to do this unless of course the company or individual has completely misguided it's fans. Essentially tricking them into purchasing a new console and game. I definitely despise such people.

lol

DJ Gunner

But they never said it was roses. Even the last update on waypoint acknowledged that more needed to be done and to have it fixed. Believe me, launch week crushed me and I'm now kind of in a state of apathy over Halo and MCC, but even still, personal attacks or insults should never be used even if the goal is to elicit a response. Plus, the big issue is expecting to be answered here, as a given, rather than a surprise. Frank posts here as a GAF'er, as does David, and hopefully Josh. They can explain things clearer, but shouldn't be expected to. Some people a little while back would even keep track of where Frank posted and then be upset that he isn't posting here etc.

But for some folks (including myself) we're talking about an almost $500 investment. Say what you will about buying a console for one game, but some people did. There have been times when I've seen Frank post about some off the wall thing, even in the Halo forums, and wish he'd tell us more about why and when can we hope for some progress. And yes I know Waypoint says there's more coming- but what they don't say is "we're aware that party functionality is almost totally broken after the last patch and that specifically will be adressed in the next however many weeks". The lack of specifics as they apply to the most glaring issues is a huge part of the frustration.

In any case, I'll continue to hope for the best.

Ramirez

They don't tell you "parties will be fixed in X amount of days/weeks" because they don't want to face the backlash if they can't meet those self imposed goals. If they knew exactly when everything would be fixed, they'd tell you. The MCC is a disaster, but lets use a little common sense on why they're not giving daily updates and time tables for when everything will work perfectly.

Madness

Same investment for me, even though I used sales and discounts to my advantage. I'm still in for the console, an extra year of live, MCC, a play and charge, kit, stereo headset.

I don't even play other games much, I spend most of my time just about Halo here. I'm just as invested in the series future. And it sucks, but it still wouldn't excuse me to go and start insulting people. You should see some of the stuff they got directed to them on Twitter etc.

I'm kind of ambivalent to it getting fixed now. Makes no real difference to me. The people I wanted to play with have moved on, a few got refunds. Halo 5 turned out to be better than people expected so come November, most will be on that game. MCC will just be one of those asterisk style games that never got a chance.

-Ryn

Banned
The same thing happened to me with Destiny, I was looking forward to the game so much that I bought an Xbox One just to play it in the best way possible.
To be fair, your disappointment (if that's the right word) would be even more justified with Destiny given that Bungie actually did lie about what that game would be.

Though what you, Frankie and Fahz are saying still rings true. Personal vendettas or attacks against people over a game is never justified. No matter how close to your heart that game may be.

Some people a little while back would even keep track of where Frank posted and then be upset that he isn't posting here etc.
I always thought that was just a friendly joke.
Were people actually getting mad about that?

Rugrats lol
By Okey Dokey Jones hat I thought I had that one.
Bobdammit.

Ramirez

Biggy taking screen caps of of my games just proves he has a high opinion of me, and beating me is a life goal of his.
kappa.png

Biggy's just jelly of my BR.

Also, I'm an east coast gamer in a sea of west coast friends.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Finally got to try stronghold. Not a fan when rolling solo. At all. So far I only like slayer.

funny, as a primarily solo player, i greatly prefer strongholds. at least in that mode i can usually count on where my teammates will be and what they should be doing. i'll still have an occasional head scratching game with absolutely clueless teammates, but for the most part they know to stay near the strong holds.

To be fair, your disappointment (if that's the right word) would be even more justified with Destiny given that Bungie actually did lie about what that game would be.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. So I guess Destiny is a good example of being misled and MCC is a good example of being let down.

Watching that GDC 2013 video hurts the feels center of the brain.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
funny, as a primarily solo player, i greatly prefer strongholds. at least in that mode i can usually count on where my teammates will be and what they should be doing. i'll still have an occasional head scratching game with absolutely clueless teammates, but for the most part they know to stay near the strong holds.

I had one on regret and I don't know where the fuck my team was. It sure as shit wasn't pushing the points.

Karl2177

Melad is only ranked that high because he has literal years on experience in this game. If the ranking system works as intended: Silver 2

Madness

I have no doubt that I won't be in the top 200 players (if that what Pro is) when game launches, but maintaining pro hasn't been hard in the beta.

Damn, how many folks from here are actually semi-pro or higher? This is actually great because it's been a long time since we can rank ourselves based on skill. I really am garbage compared to you guys.

Also, remember the game you posted a day or two ago where Ram went 1-15 lol.

Ramirez

Damn, how many folks from here are actually semi-pro or higher? This is actually great because it's been a long time since we can rank ourselves based on skill. I really am garbage compared to you guys.

Also, remember the game you posted a day or two ago where Ram went 1-15 lol.

I've done that twice in the beta. I was thoroughly outplayed in both, no shame.

Top Bottom