• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

jem0208

Im not sure you know what Halo is....

@Vin
So what?

Really getting tired of trolling.
Looks like i have to use my ignore list even more.
You know you've won an arguement when your someone has to resort to this...

:p

I wonder how this Legendary Rocket Launcher is going to work.

Not a fan of this even more weapons. At some point its too much.

Is it too random for you? Or too complicated perhaps?

m23

Why does there need to be a downside? What is it being balanced against?

Also yes, I enjoyed AR starts in 5. Not sure how that's really relevant though.

I just think there should be a downside to it otherwise it might become a bit overpowered. You'll have people winning BR battles because they have thruster available rather than having a better BR/DMR. Same with other abilities, it needs a downside, GP with its charge time, clamber with it leaving you vulnerable, sprint with it not letting you recharge shield.

At the moment I'm not even sure of any downside thrust, and adding the ability to shoot while doing it on top of that? No thanks. I think they also need to increase the recharge time on thruster from the beta.

Edit: No offense to Jumper but I don't agree with him often, but in this case I do.

I just think there should be a downside to it otherwise it might become a bit overpowered. You'll have people winning BR battles because they have thruster available rather than having a better BR/DMR. Same with other abilities, it needs a downside, GP with its charge time, clamber with it leaving you vulnerable, sprint with it not letting you recharge shield.

At the moment I'm not even sure of any downside thrust, and adding the ability to shoot while doing it on top of that? No thanks. I think they also need to increase the recharge time on thruster from the beta.

THIS^^
There is some explanation :p

-Ryn

Banned
Shooting while thrusting would make everything more complicated and random... Its fine how it is already.

And according to that Post Beta blog Thruster already got some changes, same to Sprint.

When we are at why not let me shoot while throwing a Grenade or while doing a Ground Pound? Some ideas are simply ridiclious in my opinion. You have to think about both sides of the coin. It sounds cool to you, but to me it sounds complicated, annoying and random.
I don't think random is the word you're looking for. If it's something that everybody can do, it's likely it'll be consistently utilized by people.

It'd be pretty cool if you could shoot while thrusting imo. It would definitely be cool to see how it'd affect the skill gap. As it is though it still seems great.

I don't think random is the word you're looking for. If it's something that everybody can do, it's likely it'll be consistently utilized by people.

It'd be pretty cool if you could shoot while thrusting imo. It would definitely be cool to see how it'd affect the skill gap. As it is though it still seems great.

Yeah maybe "random" was the wrong word. Munish explained it what i was trying to say^^

jem0208

Edit: No offense to Jumper but I don't agree with him often, but in this case I do.
Hmm, that's fair. I don't think thruster would be the deciding factor enough that it would outweigh the benefits of being able to shoot whilst thrusting. The better shot is still going to win the majority of the time imo, actually hitting something whilst thrusting is going to be difficult.

m23

Hmm, that's fair. I don't think thruster would be the deciding factor enough that it would outweigh the benefits of being able to shoot whilst thrusting. The better shot is still going to win the majority of the time imo, actually hitting something whilst thrusting is going to be difficult.

Won't be that difficult with Halo 5's bullet magnetism.

daedalius

Samus can shoot while laterally thrusting/boosting, obviously a spartan should be able to as well ;)

Would be kinda cool if chief and Locke had beefed up versions of the Spartan abilities during campaign just so you could do some really crazy shit.

Madness

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/9...ogression-and-renewed-relationships/?p=466938

Custom games, no sprint (not that I won't play MM/HCS playlists because of Sprint), and classic weapons w/ classic zoom sounds pretttty amazing.

I'd be hyped for Keye's Pistol starts w/ no spartan abilities except thruster.

Shouldn't have built every new weapon around SmartLink then. I get why they did, but 343 needs to have greater foresight of any potential issues. They designed their perk system around the fact you could only have two. But then this completely ruined any chance to 'mimic' classic Halo and is why the game suffered in legendary BR's, Slayer Pro etc.

You could only have resupply and extra grenade but not stability to take off flinch etc. Or dexterity and stability but not resupply etc.

I'm just glad I did my part here in making them realize the SPNKr needed to return in some form.

-Ryn

Banned
Hell fuckin yes
Cosigned

Well it's good to finally know at least.
The reasoning is kinda BS though.

Looking forward to these more "classic style" weapons. Could be really cool.

I'm not sure how it'd be "over powered". If people were winning battles (assuming it's a 1v1 equal status) wouldn't it be because they did something better? Also, HELLLLLL NAH to nerfing the recharge time.

Yeah maybe "random" was the wrong word. Munish explained it what i was trying to say^^
Been there

VinFTW

I don't know about you guys, but I didn't mind Smart Scope. It really didn't feel all that much different to me. In fact, it was pretty cool to see the models.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the PR, Needler, Carbine, etc.

I don't know about you guys, but I didn't mind Smart Scope. It really didn't feel all that much different to me. In fact, it was pretty cool to see the models.

Oh god the first time i can agree with you.

At first it was weird to see Halo using ADS. But at the end, it wasnt really different than before.

Maybe they have to speed up the ADS animations a bit. But besides that it was fine to me.

jem0208

Make the Needler turn into a Needle rifle when zoomed in.

VinFTW

Oh god the first time i can agree with you.

At first it was weird to see Halo using ADS. But at the end, it wasnt really different than before.

Maybe they have to speed up the ADS animations a bit. But besides that it was fine to me.

Yeah, ADS needs to be much faster/snappier.

Make the Needler turn into a Needle rifle when zoomed in.

Yeah I remember seeing this somewhere. Would be cool.

Mix

Samus can shoot while laterally thrusting/boosting, obviously a spartan should be able to as well ;)

Would be kinda cool if chief and Locke had beefed up versions of the Spartan abilities during campaign just so you could do some really crazy shit.

Wahrer, is that you?

There is not really much to explain. You want more random stuff. I dont.

And like i said, its balanced this way. Or like Munish said, there needs to be downside to it when you use it.

When we are at adding things to Halo, why not get Wallrunning, Target Finder scopes and Killstreaks in?

Maybe im too old to get excited for such over the top random stuff. I simply prefer Halo how it was. Without thrusting and running.

This is such a non-argument, it's blowing my mind. I dunno whether or not I'd prefer being able to shoot and thrust at the same time (leaning towards yes), but you are just categorically failing to argue your point here.

Maybe im too old to get excited for such over the top random stuff. I simply prefer Halo how it was. Without thrusting and running.
Thrusters and sprint would be less of a problem in CE because the kill times are fast in a powerful sandbox. Food for thought.
http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/9...ogression-and-renewed-relationships/?p=466938

Custom games, no sprint (not that I won't play MM/HCS playlists because of Sprint), and classic weapons w/ classic zoom sounds pretttty amazing.

I'd be hyped for Keye's Pistol starts w/ no spartan abilities except thruster.

Hey that sounds pretty cool.

legendary CE pistol with old school zoom? Give plz
First post after already knows!

halo1.jpg

Halo 5 could be the best Halo game if they have a CGB, otherwise we're doomed to matchmaking playlists which have a, what.. 99.9% fail rate?

No CGB and we're doomed to arguing over AR starts and the inevitable "Make Legendary weapons default weapon starts and weapons on the map" debates. So let it be written. So let it be done.

Madness

I'm vehemently against it from a lore, previous games and sheer principle standpoint, that they only put it in to appeal to random/CoD fans who probably won't come. It's irrational on my part, for sure, but I think the people who needed weapon to be shown in middle of screen before they played Halo or to consider it 'modern' are more irrational. That's still not going to prevent me from playing Halo 5 though. I had fun with the beta, I'll most likely have fun with the game.

I think MCC issues and sheer apathy towards Halo is why my excitement towards Halo 5 is so down. Who knows though as the hype ratchets up, I could get super excited again.

Dub117

OK quick question, got a perfection in H2A and want to save the entire match, is that possible yet? I'm a scrub with no recording device

Thanks nowise. Dammit.

Nowise10

OK quick question, got a perfection in H2A and want to save the entire match, is that possible yet? I'm a scrub with no recording device

Nope. Pretty sure the max clip size is 5 minutes? You could get clever and record the 5 minute interframes, and stitch them together in Upload Studio.

If Upload Studio allows that clip length at all. I might be completely wrong though, so just see how long you could record. All I know is, you can't actually save filmclips in MCC.

Ghazi

343 outsourced fixing MCC? Wow. They really don't give a fuck.

Should've gotten Bluepoint to work on it. They've done porting wonders, Titanfall on the 360 was amazingly good and they worked their asses off to make it so.

Should've gotten Bluepoint to work on it. They've done porting wonders, Titanfall on the 360 was amazingly good and they worked their asses off to make it so.

Yup.
Blue Point should have done the H3 and H4 ports. And maybe even Halo 1. Someone else should have done the UI.

RowdyReverb

I think it's less about whether they give a fuck than it is an issue of logistics. 343 has probably had their hands full with H5 since MCC released just shy of a year away from its launch. I want MCC fixed, but I don't want work on H5 to suffer as a result. If outsourcing gets patches released without taking up H5's dev time, so be it.

RSB

Banned
I'm vehemently against it from a lore, previous games and sheer principle standpoint, that they only put it in to appeal to random/CoD fans who probably won't come. It's irrational on my part, for sure, but I think the people who needed weapon to be shown in middle of screen before they played Halo or to consider it 'modern' are more irrational. That's still not going to prevent me from playing Halo 5 though. I had fun with the beta, I'll most likely have fun with the game.

I think MCC issues and sheer apathy towards Halo is why my excitement towards Halo 5 is so down. Who knows though as the hype ratchets up, I could get super excited again.
Nah, it makes sense, actually. If you are willing to accept them introducing shit like cosmetic ADS (and it's not completely cosmetic BTW) for the sake of attracting a public that will only play the game for a week before moving to the next CoD/Battlefield, you are opening the door for them to keep adding more of that shit in the future. I can already see the line of thought they'll use: "Oh, I guess introducing (mostly) cosmetic ADS is not enough to attract the modern shooter crowd... What should we do now? Oh shit, I got an idea, let's go full-blown ADS next time! They are gonna love Halo 6 you'll see!" So yeah, maybe it won't change anyhting in the end, but it's very rational to complain if you don't like what they are doing with the game.

Did anyone ever say that crouch jumping is overpowered? It does the same thing as clamber, minus taking away your ability to shoot.

My opinion is that offensive, aggresive play should be rewarded, not punished, or hindered in any way. Same reason motion tracker should be removed from the game.
And it requires some skill to perform, at least. Clamber feels so automated and boring by comparison... Ugh, easily my most disliked addition along with ADS. Also agree with you about the motion tracker, wish they'd kill it already.

Ghazi

I think it's less about whether they give a fuck than it is an issue of logistics. 343 has probably had their hands full with H5 since MCC released just shy of a year away from its launch. I want MCC fixed, but I don't want work on H5 to suffer as a result. If outsourcing gets patches released without taking up H5's dev time, so be it.

I know. But, it's still insulting when profuse outsourcing is what created the final product that needs fixing in the first place. It also gives the impression that 343 doesn't care enough to try to work on it themselves. This should be a high priority title for 343 and Microsoft and they treat it like shit.

But 343 hasnt worked on MCC at the first place. Everything was outsourced.
But its interesting that not the original studios worked on the March patch (or maybe they have), no they contacted another Studio to do stuff..

Man i really wanna know what happened. There must be a explanation for all of this.

imo, ADS for weapons that lack a traditional scope (plasma pistol / needler), traditional scope for traditionally-scoping weapons.

Jun tends to be strictly Spartan Branch these days. I'm guessing Osman, Locke, or a Master Chief impersonator.

It'd be pretty funny if it was an MC impersonator voiced by the dude who did him in Halo Legends.

m23

I'm not sure how it'd be "over powered". If people were winning battles (assuming it's a 1v1 equal status) wouldn't it be because they did something better? Also, HELLLLLL NAH to nerfing the recharge time.

Thruster definitely needs a nerf, I don't know how much Halo 5 you played but it was used way too often to escape battles.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So when's Halo going to start getting paid mods?

Remove sprint for only $4.99

amirite?

no I'm not

Top Bottom