• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

DJ Gunner

I imagine a room, far down the hall away from the bustling, hectic zoo of the main 343 studio employees who are all hard at work on Halo 5. In this small, quiet, lonely room, we have two socially awkward C-tier 343 employees begrudgingly playing test game after test game of patch code MCC, delivered to them by any one of nine studios we've never heard of.

King Leo

Neo Member
Thruster is a welcome addition in my eyes, but it would add even more depth to combat if the player were able to shoot/melee while doing so. Lack of shooting makes it a mostly defensive mechanic during combat, such as dodging bullets or thrusting behind geometry.

-Ryn

Banned
Thruster definitely needs a nerf, I don't know how much Halo 5 you played but it was used way too often to escape battles.
v6L8Thy.gif

NOBODY SAY A WORD

The quicker recharge allowed for it to be used in far more interesting ways than if it were a one use card. Fake outs and other cool tricks were pretty common from what I could see.

I imagine a room, far down the hall away from the bustling, hectic zoo of the main 343 studio employees who are all hard at work on Halo 5. In this small, quiet, lonely room, we have two socially awkward C-tier 343 employees begrudgingly playing test game after test game of patch code MCC, delivered to them by any one of nine studios we've never heard of.
Truly the unsung heroes of Halo lmao

Thread title

Thruster was the greatest thing to come out of the Halo 5 beta.
Truth

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Ryn's like the in house expert on everything Halo 5 gameplay related.

The quicker recharge allowed for it to be used in far more interesting ways than if it were a one use card. Fake outs and other cool tricks were pretty common from what I could see.

Yep. Case in points.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Those poor sword guys must be so frustrated. And that final missed Ground Pound was so satisfying.

Spartan charging people 30 seconds into a breakout match is still my favorite.

no matter how may times I did it no one seemed to learn to stop going into the tunnel.

I know. But, it's still insulting when profuse outsourcing is what created the final product that needs fixing in the first place. It also gives the impression that 343 doesn't care enough to try to work on it themselves. This should be a high priority title for 343 and Microsoft and they treat it like shit.

As far as 343i goes, honestly their hands are tied here. No matter what Halo 5 is launching on October 27th. No force on heaven or Earth will get Microsoft to move that date - it could be more broken than MCC (or be missing an entire third act for that matter) and it wouldn't change a thing. 343i could divert more of their team members to pumping out patches, but they obviously don't want a repeat of MCC with Halo 5, so it's going to be all-hands-on-deck until release day. Hiring other studios to do the legwork on fixing MCC while acting in an oversight position allows them to simultaneously have all their resources working at making sure Halo 5 is the best it can be at launch while also continuing to fix MCC's issues. It's either this or putting off the MCC patches entirely until after Halo 5 goes gold, and between the two I'd of course say this the better route.

As far as 343i goes, honestly their hands are tied here. No matter what Halo 5 is launching on October 27th. No force on heaven or Earth will get Microsoft to move that date - it could be more broken than MCC (or be missing an entire third act for that matter) and it wouldn't change a thing. 343i could divert more of their team members to pumping out patches, but they obviously don't want a repeat of MCC with Halo 5, so it's going to be all-hands-on-deck until release day. Hiring other studios to do the legwork on fixing MCC while acting in an oversight position allows them to simultaneously have all their resources working at making sure Halo 5 is the best it can be at launch while also continuing to fix MCC's issues. It's either this or putting off the MCC patches entirely until after Halo 5 goes gold, and between the two I'd of course say this the better route.

I'd like to think that other studios would drop everything until they had their first game fixed before releasing another.

Bsigg12

I'd like to think that other studios would drop everything until they had their first game fixed before releasing another.

Developers may want to but publishers will say otherwise. It must suck at times at 343 knowing a product with your name on it was completely broken and to this day still has issues yet you never touched it and you're the ones on blast for it. I could completely understand wanting to fix that first then continue on the new thing but since that's not an option, they have to put their heads down and make the next product as best as they possibly can. It sucks but that's how it is in this situation.

I just hope come October 27th, Halo 5 is a product 343 can release saying this is our absolute best product we could deliver and it work from day one.

So , Gears 1 multiplayer is coming this year it seems and it's 60fps on dedicated servers..At least we have something to play if H5 fails.Gears MP is love guys.

Madness

Developers may want to but publishers will say otherwise. It must suck at times at 343 knowing a product with your name on it was completely broken and to this day still has issues yet you never touched it and you're the ones on blast for it. I could completely understand wanting to fix that first then continue on the new thing but since that's not an option, they have to put their heads down and make the next product as best as they possibly can. It sucks but that's how it is in this situation.

I just hope come October 27th, Halo 5 is a product 343 can release saying this is our absolute best product we could deliver and it work from day one.

30488-Woody-Harrelson-crying-money-b-8fc5.gif

Yeah I'm sure they're crying tears of sadness for us who spent all this money on the game or the consoles.

We're still going with the narrative this wasn't 343's fault at all? As if they weren't the ones in charge of the product, hiring these specific studios, and then putting all the work onto the disc, running the servers, doing the QA work, testing, working on the backend, making sure each part works and getting it ready for launch? Individually, each part of the game gets the job done. As a whole, it's entirely on 343 and no one else. At this point, a product recall should be issued. Never before has such a shitty game been released in the online era.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah I'm sure they're crying tears of sadness for us who spent all this money on the game or the consoles.

We're still going with the narrative this wasn't 343's fault at all? As if they weren't the ones in charge of the product, hiring these specific studios, and then putting all the work onto the disc, running the servers, doing the QA work, testing, working on the backend, making sure each part works and getting it ready for launch? Individually, each part of the game gets the job done. As a whole, it's entirely on 343 and no one else. At this point, a product recall should be issued. Never before has such a shitty game been released in the online era.
343 certainly share a part of the blame.
That they should take on all of it is ridiculous though.

From what I can tell they were caught between a rock and a hard place with a product that had an unrealistic deadline and no way to really change that. The game should've never been released as it was but if Microsoft needs the game out by a certain time then that's that. Publishers forcing the devs to push out a game isn't anything new (e.g. Halo 2).

I doubt they're happy or content with how the MCC turned out.

Xbox Australia tweeted this a while back, seems like another part of the image:

Pretty sure this is going to be the box art or something, looks like it'll feature both the Chief and Locke which was expected I guess.
It'll probably be them having a gentlemanly debacle whilst sipping space tea and crumpets.

ultimota

The game should've never been released as it was but if Microsoft needs the game out by a certain time then that's that. Publishers forcing the devs to push out a game isn't anything new (e.g. Halo 2).

last 2 battlefield games are proof of that

343 certainly share a part of the blame.
That they should take on all of it is ridiculous though.

From what I can tell they were caught between a rock and a hard place with a product that had an unrealistic deadline and no way to really change that. The game should've never been released as it was but if Microsoft needs the game out by a certain time then that's that. Publishers forcing the devs to push out a game isn't anything new (e.g. Halo 2).

As a consumer who spent $60 on a fundamentally broken game, I'm very sympathetic towards the people who were partying at "HaloFest" while this piece of shit was being shipped to my door from Amazon. Unrealistic deadlines... welcome to game development. Don't try to find excuses for this turd and how they've handled this turd since release.

As a consumer who spent $60 on a fundamentally broken game, I'm very sympathetic towards the people who were partying at "HaloFest" while this piece of shit was being shipped to my door from Amazon. Unrealistic deadlines... welcome to game development. Don't try to find excuses for this turd and how they've handled this turd since release.

Yeah, MCC is a real thorn in my side.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So Destiny is only £20 on Amazon at the moment..Worth it?

Destiny stretches out about 4-5 hours of content very, very thinly. If you thought Halo 2's campaign was disappointing, Destiny is in a league of it's own. 90% of the story can only be found on the Destiny website.

Endgame is infinite grind with terrible non-rewards. Never bothered with the DLC, so no idea how that fares other than hearing how lacking the first DLC was.

Competitive multuplayer makes vanilla Halo 4 look fair and balanced.

So Destiny is only £20 on Amazon at the moment...

Worth it?

No, unless you have nothing better to do than grind the same content 1000 times or spend several pages arranging a raid.
(no offense to the Destiny fellas organzing VoG few weeks back, just found it hilarious that a "social" co-op game requires the community to do things on their own outside the game instead of implementing it in-game instead)

jem0208

You should ask in the Destiny OT and not this thread.

Game is fun and worth way more than 20 dollars. Not to mention that it actually works!

Ehh, the Destiny OT would be really damn biased. Thought I'd get a better answer here.

Also it would be more like $32.

Not like there's much else for us to talk about here to be honest. Last patch broke the MCC again and we haven't had anything concrete on H5 for a while. The #huntthetruth episode tonight should be good though.

Destiny is fun. Especially with friends.
Raids are dope.

Has its faults for sure but gameplay is top notch

This is my worry actually, how good is it solo? None of my friends have an X1...

This is my worry actually, how good is it solo? None of my friends have an X1...

It's fine solo, I've been playing it solo since launch, and I'm still enjoying it. I've never even attempted any of the raids, most I did was solo the lamps (you don't know what this means). Maybe I'm just weird. These are my stats from soloing:

wIBHMsX.png

For £20 it's definitely worth looking into. The gunplay is great and raids are top notch if you're into that kind of thing. The crucible is fun if you don't take it super seriously. Also just head over to the Destiny OT, you can easily find people to play with.

You should ask in the Destiny OT and not this thread.

Game is fun and worth way more than 20 dollars. Not to mention that it actually works!

Destiny OT is, at this point, populated entirely by the diehards. Half of them don't even post in non-Destiny related threads, from what I can tell.

jem0208

It's fine solo, I've been playing it solo since launch, and I'm still enjoying it. I've never even attempted any of the raids, most I did was solo the lamps (you don't know what this means). Maybe I'm just weird. These are my stats from soloing:

wIBHMsX.png

For £20 it's definitely worth looking into. The gunplay is great and raids are top notch if you're into that kind of thing. The crucible is fun if you don't take it super seriously. Also just head over to the Destiny OT, you can easily find people to play with.

Damn, that's a lot of playtime.

I downloaded the trial and played that for a few hours and it's pretty fun. I'm considering it...

So, Halogaf

Pretty much.

Ghazi

Indeed. My raging hatred for Destiny gives me the perfect, balanced perspective...

On how awful it is.

So bad.

It's a mess, but there are redeeming aspects of it. Raids are good and playing with friends is actually pretty fun. It needs a lot of work, though they seem to be going the right direction with HoW.

The thing that I find odd about Destiny (well, one of several things) is that whilst the gameplay is really good - fluid and fun - none of the encounters come anywhere near the best of Halo. The best Destiny bits (raids) are more wave-based or mechanic based, as per normal MMO stuff. I never once fought a pack in Destiny out in the world that gave me as much fun and variety as a pack of elites in Halo. The smaller differentiation between shield/health, the grenade and melee being 'powers' rather than reliables, the AI, etc etc - all little things I consider Halo manages better.

Nowt wrong with that other than for personal taste, I suppose - I consider it a bit of a step back, but necessary, I guess, for the game's focus as a repeatable grind co-op shooter.

P.S. The less said about the Strike bosses the better. Utterly boring, imo. That tank is just shit. So poor.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Destiny's worth a playthrough I guess

And the raid's apparently GOAT but I never have more than like half an hour to play games at a time so I never got around to it

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Played a game of HCE today in the slayer playlist, so it was 4v4 on Chillout. Also played 4v4 on Priz...no lag, none that was noticeable.

I'm willing to bet I was on a dedicated server. Makes me wonder if they're not using dedicated servers for the HCE playlist because it's only 2v2.

Ugh...this game.

Top Bottom