• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Poor Wahrer and co get banned for RIPclaimer Radio, but this Destiny nonsense constantly floods this thread when there's Halo things to discuss.

Coincidence that Halo 3 fans sold/complain about TMCC and still rave about Destiny? Coincidence that jem is now on the Destiny train, influenced by other Halo 3 fans of his kind? I think not. Halo 3 fans are the worst and should be banned from everything.

Impala26

It's fine solo, I've been playing it solo since launch, and I'm still enjoying it. I've never even attempted any of the raids, most I did was solo the lamps (you don't know what this means). Maybe I'm just weird. These are my stats from soloing:

wIBHMsX.png

For £20 it's definitely worth looking into. The gunplay is great and raids are top notch if you're into that kind of thing. The crucible is fun if you don't take it super seriously. Also just head over to the Destiny OT, you can easily find people to play with.

Holy hell dude, just seeing this...
You gotta jump in with my
scrub
squad.
Everything in Destiny is basically better with more people.
I can't imagine how you've been solo playing as long as you have.

EDIT:
Poor Wahrer and co get banned for RIPclaimer Radio, but this Destiny nonsense constantly floods this thread when there's Halo things to discuss.

Coincidence that Halo 3 fans sold/complain about TMCC and still rave about Destiny? Coincidence that jem is now on the Destiny train, influenced by other Halo 3 fans of his kind? I think not. Halo 3 fans are the worst and should be banned from everything.

Hey hey simmer down there...
I'm actually a GoldenEye/Perfect Dark kid myself :p
still salty about this weekend too... FUCK KONAMI

UlloUaB.gif

Fatebringer > CE Pistol

ls_fb.png

Never said it was. I would suggest to read the rest and not cherry picking stuff.

So Destiny missions/strikes are meant to done in about the same time as your average PvP match ~ 8-15 minutes or so. In Halo, though, campaign missions are designed to be completed in around an hour or so, aside from speed-running. Whereas missions in Destiny are much more "bite" sized by design. PvP replayability is about the same as Halo PvP replayability - games are on the same maps with the same gametypes and they play out slightly differently each time. The replayability in the co-op sandbox (aside from Raid content) comes from completing the missions at higher difficulties, different difficult modifiers and with different classes and gear making your playstyle different very much like choosing a weight class in Mario Kart or what have you - except with a much greater depth to how you build out your character.

Just like in Halo, where tackling a leg of a particular mission using, say, an M6D and Rocket Launcher is quite a bit different than going through the same area with an AR and Snipe. Except that in Destiny, each weapon belongs to a subset of weapon class-types - each with their own balancing, upgrades, and elemental types.

Compare the BR in Halo 2 to Halo 4 for example. They do feel different from each other in a multitude of ways, their rate of fire, their spread, hitscan or not, etc. There are constantly arguments over which one is better (
Halo 2
) and I imagine even at Bungie there were constant debates over which one "feels" best and how to make the BR the BR. With Destiny, the BR is an entire class of weapons called Pulse Rifles - those guns that fire in 3 round bursts. So you get a very wide range of behaviours for a BR style weapon.

For example, Red Death is an Exotic "BR", exotic meaning it is the highest level of weapon in its particular weapon class:
It fires in 3 round bursts like you would expect out of a BR. The balancing stats differ from other Pulse Rifles in subtle ways, and its unique factor is that each kill initiates a full health recharge and that it's "flinch" mechanic is greatly nullified when you are being shot compared to most weapons. While the health always recharges in Destiny just like Halo, there can be mechanics in play that make a full recharge incredibly useful: like the Crota battle in one of the Raids, where everyone is "de-buffed" where their health will NOT regenerate unless they are holding an item that can be passed from person to person to regenerate (which doesn't exist on the harder difficulties) so you need to have a weapon or piece of gear like Red Death making that particular weapon extremely useful in that circumstance.

Compare Red Death to another "BR", "Oversoul Edict":
You can see how the stats differ from Red Death and it is quite noticeable when in actual play. It fires its 3-round bursts MUCH faster than Red Death, but each individual bullet doesn't hit nearly as hard and reloads much slower compared to Red Death above. One of the things that makes this Legendary-class BR unique besides that is that it does Elemental "Arc" Damage - something relatively rare for a Primary slot weapon. The advantage to that is certain higher level enemies have a particular weakness to this type of Arc damage - making the gun's bullets "super effective" against their shields. You can still damage with other types or no type weapons, but the Arc is particularly useful in that case. And that's not even getting into the differences in the "perks" that are available within this particular gun's upgrade path.

This is all just a very, very small example of the ways you can customize your play. It's not as simple as saying there's no content, imo. That's a lazy criticism.

Mix

Halo actually has some cool news stuff going on right now and we're fighting over destiny? You know there's already a whole OT for that?
New images added here:
hunt09.jpg

Halo actually has some cool news stuff going on right now and we're fighting over destiny? You know there's already a whole OT for that?

Just comparing the two games. Not really fighting I don't think. I'm not allowed to talk about Halo story in here, I get called out for it every time because people in this thread don't want to hear lore. Then again, discussion is discussion. There's also a thread for Halo 5 #huntthetruth, too.

jem0208

Since when was I a Halo 3 fan?

(Not saying I'm not a fan, just it's by no means the best. Also fuck H3 SWAT)

Edit: Do we have any idea who the guy completely covered up is on the Chief's team? I'm assuming it's someone from Blue team, although I know nothing about Blue team...
secretly hoping it's Caboose

Edit2: Actually, I take that back. H3 is both the best and worst (still better than Reach) of the Halos.

Ohhh, it's creepy eye dude.

daedalius

Just comparing the two games. Not really fighting I don't think. I'm not allowed to talk about Halo story in here, I get called out for it every time because people in this thread don't want to hear lore. Then again, discussion is discussion. There's also a thread for Halo 5 #huntthetruth, too.

You should totally talk about lore in here, there are plenty of us that do.

Who gives a shit if someone calls you out for it.

Defect

But I'm a Halo 3 fan and stopped playing Destiny years ago.

Long live CE pistol.

Mix

You should totally talk about lore in here, there are plenty of us that do.

Who gives a shit if someone calls you out for it.
Totally, I'm surprised that this thread has issues with people discussing lore.
Halo 3 is still the most challenging halo to play in the collection which makes me appreciate it more.
Halo 3 is my favorite game in the series, with CE in a very close second. Though, from what I've played of 5, it may become the king.
Fight me.

daedalius

Halo 3 is still the most challenging halo to play in the collection which makes me appreciate it more.

Its the most gross, I hate leading shots, and I hate the aim acceleration.

Campaign is pretty great tho, been going through it on legendary of late between sessions of Metroid and Derpstiny.

Wait, when has that happened? o_O

Just people that don't care about lore bitching cuz reasons.

Sometimes it works; when the ranges and sightlines are juuuuust right, it's hugely enjoyable. The rest of the maps and gametypes are a clusterfuck.

Magnum SWAT on the Pit, for fucks sake.

TheXbox

343 knew how much we loved the challenge of combatting useless weapons and tragic netcode, so they added broken aim-acceleration on top of it. Brilliant.

kidding. I <3 h3. but someone needs to fix the fucking aiming

Omni

New images added here:

Can you guys resize this image whenever you post it? It's ridiculously big and is making my browser stutter.

Wait, when has that happened? o_O

I'm just bitter. Typical drive by thread shitting. Now I just like to come in here and tell people Halo mp sucks and will never be good again while I talk about Destiny with people who've already made up their minds about it. Maybe I should do some blow and make .gif ridden wallpost-rants about the subtleties of the latest in yoga pants development. Certainly more interesting than a damn wallpaper split up into puzzle pieces for no reason other than getting people to talk about Halo 5 on social media instead of the broken mess that is MCC. ilovebees and IRIS were way better than #huntthetruth. Soundclouds are badass though. That's tasty.

daedalius

I'm just bitter. Typical drive by thread shitting. Now I just like to come in here and tell people Halo mp sucks and will never be good again while I talk about Destiny with people who've already made up their minds about it. Maybe I should do some blow and make .gif ridden wallpost-rants about the subtleties of the latest in yoga pants development. Certainly more interesting than a damn wallpaper split up into puzzle pieces for no reason other than getting people to talk about Halo 5 on social media instead of the broken mess that is MCC. ilovebees and IRIS were way better than #huntthetruth. Soundclouds are badass though. That's tasty.

Most of the yoga pants crew doesn't even post anymore, or has been banned. Besides, fuck'em; post whatever you want. There are people in here that enjoy lore posts.

Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoy the lore thread. Its nice to go in there and just read that stuff instead of every other post complaining about sprint/thrust/etc/etc/destiny/etc

Tawpgun

I just feel I can fight from behind in h3 the best. Better man wins the fight.

Ce is close but the sniper is piss easy to use and pistol still melts people even if you don't get headshots.

Rest of the games getting 4 shots is easy. You can strafe well in Halo 2 at least.

And swat is dumb so no love lost on people crying about swat magnums

Did someone mention yoga pants?

Gotta Love Destinygaf , they accepted the game as it is and embrace Bungie's effort to fix it.

Its subreal for me because the game is blank as hell if not for the raids, pretty relaxed people.

349425_o.gif

Why is there a HaloOrbit.de watermark over top the Halo 5 desktop background?

Because Kotaku could steal it from them

Impala26

VinFTW

Just a heads up, Josh said he agrees that DLC is bad for splitting communities in a conversation we had on TB.

Could be just his own personal opinion regardless of what MS decides to do with DLC monetization, OR, is proof they won't be splitting the DLC community anymore in Halo 5.

The context made it seem like he agrees it's best Halo 5 doesn't have paid DLC maps.

Just a heads up, Josh said he agrees that DLC is bad for splitting communities in a conversation we had on TB.

Could be just his own personal opinion regardless of what MS decides to do with DLC monetization, OR, is proof they won't be splitting the DLC community anymore in Halo 5.

The context made it seem like he agrees it's best Halo 5 doesn't have paid DLC maps.

Well it doesnt like you could actually play the DLC maps outside the DLC playlist in Halo 4 anyway.

Make it free and available throughout almost all playlists that doesn't effect objective and pro playlists. Traffic = Profit. Yes free. No mo 14 day, buy and play.

wwm0nkey

I think we will start seeing this model more and more as time goes on. We got a pretty nice taste of what it does back with Halo 2 and PvZ:GW did a good job of showing that model works and you don't have to charge people to play your game (unless they want to buy packs of cards you can earn after 3 rounds of play)

Top Bottom