• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Hey you, go back to playing Destiny...traitor.

seeing you play that game every day keeps tempting me to get it.... DARN YOU. We'll see if I have the courage to wait until Halo 5..beta was so good.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone =)

You see nothing.

Get Destiny. But get it after House of Wolves drops next month. And only get it if you plan on playing with others. But get it. It's wonderful. :) If you do, add me on Xbox One and I could show you the ropes some time.

Destiny is going to finally be the game it should have been at launch once HoW drops. I highly recommend picking it up!!

Tawpgun

Does HoW fixes any of the random loot, lack of content, reputation grind problems?
The economy gets simplified and streamlined. Lots of material transactions.

Every legendary piece of armor is capable of hitting the max level. Same with every legendary weapon.

You can reroll perk packages on HoW weapons.

There are non random ways to get the end game gear now.

Rep grinds are still there but they'll be much more interesting because the bounties are gonna be better and you can buy items that will buff rep gains i think.

But at the end of the day, the loot you're gonna be getting in drop is still random as it is in EVERY SINGLE GAME WITH LOOT DROPS. There will be grinding as with any mmo RPG like game also but for those picking the game up now you'll have tons of endgame content.

But I guess without doing raids there's not much content, am I wrong? Doing the same dungeons over again seems not that interesting to be honest.

My problem with random loot that even these legendary tokens could give you items for other classes

Akai__

But I guess without doing raids there's not much content, am I wrong? Doing the same dungeons over again seems not that interesting to be honest.

My problem with random loot that even these legendary tokens could give you items for other classes

AFAIK, it's also on disc DLC. You are basically paying for content you already own. Pretty scummy, in my opinion.

Tawpgun

Without doing the raids or the prison of elders, as far as PvE goes, there's really not much. The shooting and gameplay is fun enough to make it worth a 60$ romp I think. But you'd be basically running missions, patrols, and strikes. Which you will repeat pretty quick.

Do your self a favor and try the raids. Impala hated destiny like half of gaf does and we ran him through Vault of Glass now he's on that D.

And don't believe the bullshit half of gaf peddles that raids are too hard to organize. Think someone on Halogaf said "hours" to organize the raids. Bullshit.

1. You are on a huge gaming forum. HaloGAF alone has enough people to run raids with, at least on the Xbone. DestinyGAF is a good second.

2. Reddit is also a good source. Dunno how active /r/fireteams is anymore though. Whenever my friends weren't around I just stuck with DestinyLFG. Insanely easy to get it going. Make a post or look for people that are looking for others, message on XBL, get invite and you're in. Shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes. Something like 20 at most if its not that active during whatever part of the day. You can also try that 100 site. I forget that URL but it basically pairs you up with 100 people and they organize it for you. They'll say "raiding Crotas End, 7pm EST" and you check if you're in.

No idea what you mean by legendary tokens. Engrams? yeah getting shit for other classes bites. Oh well, At least now you can shard another classes legendary item and for the first time ever exchange the shard for a SHITTON of glimmer, which is now a very important resource. It wasn't so much at launch.

AFAIK, it's also on disc DLC. You are basically paying for content you already own. Pretty scummy, in my opinion.

I'll take idiots who think they know about game development for 500 trebek.

Wonder what all the gigs of updates have been for if I just need to unlock the content.

There have been legitimately new areas added in. But I'm assuming you are talking about how glitchers/hackers made it into locked away areas, areas which are to be used for DLC missions. And yes you are right. Those areas are there, geometry wise. But that's it. You can make the geometry for an area. That doesn't mean its ready to play and the content is there. Hell, one of the areas, The Terminus, has already been changed apparently.

Someone on some gamingside destiny thread mentioned that some entire area from World of Warcraft was in the launch, vanilla version of the game. But it wasn't until Burning Crusade that players were allowed in. Is that also on disc DLC?

Omni

Bits and pieces. I wouldn't say that it's all on DLC because we know that's false.

But then you also have things like the reef being shown two years ago or whatever (reef is part of DLC coming in two weeks...) which is questionable in itself.

Impala26

Off-topic (my apologies), but my salt is sooooo heinously flowing this morning...

CAjRVnzVIAA4WXD.jpg

Silent Hills was one of my most anticipated games after Halo 5 and Obduction... WTF Konami

jem0208

Without doing the raids or the prison of elders, as far as PvE goes, there's really not much. The shooting and gameplay is fun enough to make it worth a 60$ romp I think. But you'd be basically running missions, patrols, and strikes. Which you will repeat pretty quick.

Do your self a favor and try the raids. Impala hated destiny like half of gaf does and we ran him through Vault of Glass now he's on that D.

And don't believe the bullshit half of gaf peddles that raids are too hard to organize. Think someone on Halogaf said "hours" to organize the raids. Bullshit.

1. You are on a huge gaming forum. HaloGAF alone has enough people to run raids with, at least on the Xbone. DestinyGAF is a good second.

2. Reddit is also a good source. Dunno how active /r/fireteams is anymore though. Whenever my friends weren't around I just stuck with DestinyLFG. Insanely easy to get it going. Make a post or look for people that are looking for others, message on XBL, get invite and you're in. Shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes. Something like 20 at most if its not that active during whatever part of the day. You can also try that 100 site. I forget that URL but it basically pairs you up with 100 people and they organize it for you. They'll say "raiding Crotas End, 7pm EST" and you check if you're in.

No idea what you mean by legendary tokens. Engrams? yeah getting shit for other classes bites. Oh well, At least now you can shard another classes legendary item and for the first time ever exchange the shard for a SHITTON of glimmer, which is now a very important resource. It wasn't so much at launch.

Wonder what all the gigs of updates have been for if I just need to unlock the content.

There have been legitimately new areas added in. But I'm assuming you are talking about how glitchers/hackers made it into locked away areas, areas which are to be used for DLC missions. And yes you are right. Those areas are there, geometry wise. But that's it. You can make the geometry for an area. That doesn't mean its ready to play and the content is there. Hell, one of the areas, The Terminus, has already been changed apparently.

Someone on some gamingside destiny thread mentioned that some entire area from World of Warcraft was in the launch, vanilla version of the game. But it wasn't until Burning Crusade that players were allowed in. Is that also on disc DLC?

Is HoW going to be necessary to see all the benefits you said on the other page?

Because I'm not sure about paying £40 for Destiny...

Off-topic (my apologies), but my salt is sooooo heinously flowing this morning...

Silent Hills was one of my most anticipated games after Halo 5 and Obduction... WTF Konami

Dude. I'm right there with ya. I'm not gonna go crazy like most of the gaffers on gaming side because I want to know with certainty what is going on, but the whole situation is just horrible. I'm not even a huge fan of Kojima, but it's been incredibly shady feeling.

Silent Hills/PT was really quite special.

I'm secretly happy because I sold my ps4 and knew i would miss out on it

Edit: i thought i was the only one waiting for Obduction! Good to know someone has good taste =D riven4lyfe

Tawpgun

Is HoW going to be necessary to see all the benefits you said on the other page?

Actually BUYING HoW only gets you access to Prison of Elders (end game pve activity) and I THINK trials of osiris (endgame pvp activity). As well as any HoW missions/Strikes/MP maps.

You will be able to hit the level cap and get any vendor weapons without HoW. Might take you longer though.

Impala26

Dude. I'm right there with ya. I'm not gonna go crazy like most of the gaffers on gaming side because I want to know with certainty what is going on, but the whole situation is just horrible. I'm not even a huge fan of Kojima, but it's been incredibly shady feeling.

Silent Hills/PT was really quite special.

I'm secretly happy because I sold my ps4 and knew i would miss out on it

Edit: i thought i was the only one waiting for Obduction! Good to know someone has good taste =D riven4lyfe

I got the first news from my fiancée while waiting for the bus this morning, on top of that I'm feeling sick at work today coming off a weekend where my Pittsburgh Penguins were knocked out of the playoffs in only 5 games by the Rangers. It's just... it's been a incredibly terrible Monday for me thus far.

Cyan is one of those companies that I've been following since I was a kid with Myst and Riven, so there's no way I'd be missing out on one of their new projects. I'm really excited for Obduction!
INB4 Cyan announces closure of company this summer...

Akai__

Wut?

I just go by what I've heard or read. Even if those areas aren't playable yet, they are in the game. They planned to make DLC off of it, rather than unlocking it with a free patch. They could have also removed it from the actual game, so people never knew about it, but they left it in, because of whatever reason.

I don't agree with that kind of DLC and I think it's scummy.

It technically is, yeah.
My university lecturer would slap us, if we'd leave code in the game that we aren't using.

Funfact: He used Halo 4's DLC, where modders found those cut Abilities and weapons as an example of bad programming style and game design.

Bits and pieces. I wouldn't say that it's all on DLC because we know that's false.

But then you also have things like the reef being shown two years ago or whatever (reef is part of DLC coming in two weeks...) which is questionable in itself.

Yeah, lol...

I'm glad I skipped on Destiny. Actvision is not good for Bungie.

Tawpgun

Wut?

I just go by what I've heard or read. Even if those areas aren't playable yet, they are in the game. They planned to make DLC off of it, rather than unlocking it with a free patch. They could have also removed it from the actual game, so people never knew about it, but they left it in, because of whatever reason.

It technically is, yeah.
My university lecturer would slap us, if we'd leave code in the game that we aren't using.

Funfact: He used Halo 4's DLC, where modders found those cut Abilities and weapons as an example of bad programming style and game design.

Yeah, lol...

This is the problem. Everyone is going by what they heard because modders/glitchers found unfinished files and just jump to conclusions and everyone believes them.

There are tons of games where you work on something, it doesn't get finished completley by launch, or gets cut entirely. Destiny had a rough dev for sure. We know there was stuff that was cut and changed around, but to suspect that they did it maliciously to fuck over consumers is just stupid.

Akai__

This is the problem. Everyone is going by what they heard because modders/glitchers found unfinished files and just jump to conclusions and everyone believes them.

There are tons of games where you work on something, it doesn't get finished completley by launch, or gets cut entirely. Destiny had a rough dev for sure. We know there was stuff that was cut and changed around, but to suspect that they did it maliciously to fuck over consumers is just stupid.

I haven't said they did it on purpose. I said they decided to make it paid DLC, afterwards.

Tawpgun

I haven't said they did it on purpose. I said they decided to make it paid DLC, afterwards.

But.

They weren't done. I mean I guess you could have allowed players to access the space but...

One of the areas looks completely different now too. The reef was in the game 2 years ago but it was also a different game. Idk. The development of Destiny seemed like a clusterfuck for sure but I don't get why so many people think what they are doing is wrong. Nothing was held back for DLC. They wanted to keep the story going post launch. As most of these types of games do. You can have a general plan for that.

If you want to be mad at Bungie/Activision I think it should be more diverted to the pricing. Not that it was paid. But 20 bucks even I feel is steep/

Karl2177

Those areas that people glitched into weren't final. They were just placeholders so there weren't any geometry messery later. 1.0.2 added over 4 gigs of geometry and encounters for TDB, and the last update had another 4 gigs for the HoW content. Going off of Destiny's general architecture, they are making everyone download it for compatibility reasons, while license owners get access to the DLC content.

As for the Reef, it's available to everyone, regardless if they buy HoW. I'd be willing to bet that during the dev process when stuff got shifted around, the Reef wasn't core to the story(lol) and so the only time it appears is in a cutscene. Even if you don't like Destiny without playing it, there's no arguing that it is an incredibly polished game.

I got the first news from my fiancée while waiting for the bus this morning, on top of that I'm feeling sick at work today coming off a weekend where my Pittsburgh Penguins were knocked out of the playoffs in only 5 games by the Rangers. It's just... it's been a incredibly terrible Monday for me thus far.

INB4 Cyan announces closure of company this summer...

Hope you feel better, but at least you didn't get caught in a catastrophic earthquake.

Is there anything to indicate Obduction not coming to fruition? Don't scare me like that man lol

Not all. Basically HoW gets you:

Prison of Elders, which is a new type of end-game activity called an Arena, rather than a Raid. But we still don't know exactly what it is. People think it's like Firefight, but no details beside that.
3 Crucible MP maps
3 New Story missions
1 Strike
New Armours
New Weapons
Other new "gear" like Sparrows, Ships, etc.

If you only have the base game you still get:

Level cap raised to Light 34 for all weapons and gear / ALL old gear can be upgraded to this level now
The Reef social space with whatever else they have there
Queens Wrath 2.0 (PvE "quests")
Trials of Osiris (3v3 mp weekend "events")
1.2 "patch" stuff

I'm probably missing a bit of things, but that's mainly what HoW is, plus the re-balancing of Light levelling beyond 20, and such that makes things a lot more to what people were asking for.

I would still recommend at least waiting a few more weeks if you do want to get in. Don't buy the DLC until you are around level Light 25-26, see if you like the game first.

Each month, Bungie released minor patches with some new features and sometimes very minor content for free. With each DLC Bungie also updates the game, in the case of HoW, the game will be updated to version 1.2. We still don't know what everything will be like as it isn't all announced yet.

So to tl;dr your question, no not all of the benefits of HoW's update require the DLC. I would say MOST of the benefits that I'm excited about will just be part of the patch 1.2. The rest in the DLC proper is just new content and activities.

Also, you don't need DLC1 The Dark Below if you just want to buy DLC2 House of Wolves and vice versa. You also don't need either DLC. Like I said, if you do get Destiny, I'd gladly help, and then once you're higher level you can decide if the DLC is worth it to you. I wouldn't recommend getting DLC before that though.

Impala26

Hope you feel better, but at least you didn't get caught in a catastrophic earthquake.

Is there anything to indicate Obduction not coming to fruition? Don't scare me like that man lol

Oh Christ I know *First World Problems*

No there isn't AFAIK, but with the way things have been going lately it wouldn't surprise me, lol.

I guess Konami is just really content making mobile games, gym machines and pachinko machines. They should really just sell off their IP's (at least MGS and Silent Hill) to Sony already and be done with it. What a fucking travesty.

jem0208

Actually BUYING HoW only gets you access to Prison of Elders (end game pve activity) and I THINK trials of osiris (endgame pvp activity). As well as any HoW missions/Strikes/MP maps.

You will be able to hit the level cap and get any vendor weapons without HoW. Might take you longer though.

Not all. Basically HoW gets you:

Prison of Elders, which is a new type of end-game activity called an Arena, rather than a Raid. But we still don't know exactly what it is. People think it's like Firefight, but no details beside that.
3 Crucible MP maps
3 New Story missions
1 Strike
New Armours
New Weapons
Other new "gear" like Sparrows, Ships, etc.

If you only have the base game you still get:

Level cap raised to Light 34 for all weapons and gear / ALL old gear can be upgraded to this level now
The Reef social space with whatever else they have there
Queens Wrath 2.0 (PvE "quests")
Trials of Osiris (3v3 mp weekend "events")
1.2 "patch" stuff

I'm probably missing a bit of things, but that's mainly what HoW is, plus the re-balancing of Light levelling beyond 20, and such that makes things a lot more to what people were asking for.

I would still recommend at least waiting a few more weeks if you do want to get in. Don't buy the DLC until you are around level Light 25-26, see if you like the game first.

Each month, Bungie released minor patches with some new features and sometimes very minor content for free. With each DLC Bungie also updates the game, in the case of HoW, the game will be updated to version 1.2. We still don't know what everything will be like as it isn't all announced yet.

So to tl;dr your question, no not all of the benefits of HoW's update require the DLC. I would say MOST of the benefits that I'm excited about will just be part of the patch 1.2. The rest in the DLC proper is just new content and activities.

Also, you don't need DLC1 The Dark Below if you just want to buy DLC2 House of Wolves and vice versa. You also don't need either DLC. Like I said, if you do get Destiny, I'd gladly help, and then once you're higher level you can decide if the DLC is worth it to you. I wouldn't recommend getting DLC before that though.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I will buy it now, I've been playing the trial and it's a lot of fun, even with only a small amount of content.

I won't be able to seriously get into it for a couple of months until I've finished my exams anyway.

Anyway, enough Destiny talk.

#HuntTheTruth is absolutely fantastic, it seriously deserves to win awards or something. This poster also looks pretty awesome.

Madness

Might as well wait for Comet. That's what I'm doing. No sense buying it now especially when a lot of people have moved on. I still regret not buying it earlier but I felt there would be no point because MCC would have kept me playing everyday. After that, I just kept hoping some kind of GoTY version with all the dlc would come.

Fuchsdh

Might as well wait for Comet. That's what I'm doing. No sense buying it now especially when a lot of people have moved on. I still regret not buying it earlier but I felt there would be no point because MCC would have kept me playing everyday. After that, I just kept hoping some kind of GoTY version with all the dlc would come.

Is Comet a standalone game or an expansiony thing?

Madness

Blue Team and Chief in the corner, Locke and his team in the other, War Sphinx and some huge war going on with Banshees. What kind of direction is this campaign taking? I feel like the Spartan Ops, Halo 4 storyline was sort of a red herring now. I wonder if Halsey, Jul M'dama, Didact factor into it much at all.

Still, pretty hilarious to think Locke and Macer and whoever else is on his team has a chance against Spartan-II's like Chief, Linda, Fred etc.

Expansion, but a major one, could be standalone release with the original game and up till then released DLC. The leaked roadmap showed it. I've gotta think it'll be the first to completely expand on the original game and story.

jem0208

Locke's team has some pretty cool looking armour.

The red guy/girl with the spikes on their shoulder...

Also I said fuck it and bought Destiny, look forward to grinding through it in the summer.

No one knows for sure. I'm betting it'll be a $40-60 expansion, and will mark the beginning of "Season 2" of Destiny. Destiny 1.5. I bet it will be cheaper for people that already own the base game, and then there'll be a combo pack that comes with the base game + DLC 1 + DLC 2 for about what you'd pay for a "Limited Edition" of the game. That'll be GOTY/Complete edition for like $70-80. I doubt it will be standalone, though. I could maybe see them making the base game free at that point, but I'm not convinced on that one.

Yeah, it's probably coming in September so that would be the ideal time to get into Destiny at that point if you're a busy person.

So who's Locke's crew?
ODST dudes?

That's what I'm thinking. ODST crew for Locke, Blue Team for Chief. Damn that would be so good.

Expansion, but a major one, could be standalone release with the original game and up till then released DLC. The leaked roadmap showed it. I've gotta think it'll be the first to completely expand on the original game and story.

Yeah the idea is that the story is moving outward from the Sun as they go along. Base game is Earth, Moon, Mars, and Venus. HoW has Mercury (in a minor way for Trials) and then in the Reef which is in the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter. No doubt in my mind that Comet will be beyond the Reef, the state of those planets is currently "unknown" in the lore. Although Xur is from the Jupiter system.

GGoSgbH.png

Ramirez

Wut?

It technically is, yeah.

Yeah, lol...

"I go by what I've read or heard", I'm sure it's 100% factual!

This is getting really interesting. Do you all think that I should read the Halo books to get a lot out of the blue team for halo 5? Or is it unnecessary and not worth the time investment?

They'll probably introduce them in-game in some capacity (or at least, I hope they will), but the books are worth reading anyway, if you haven't already. Start with Fall of Reach, move on from there.

Top Bottom